Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Conchata Ferrell: dead

Seems like she should be more of a DL icon.

I liked her on "LA Law."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 15, 2020 5:57 PM

Please submit under correct DL format oP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2020 8:52 PM

I remember her from "Hot-L Baltimore."

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2020 8:52 PM

Has Susan Dey tweeted her condolences?

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2020 8:55 PM

Television will never be the same!

RIP. She was great in [italic]Netowrk[/italic], an excellent character actress.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2020 8:57 PM

She and Holland Taylor were the only reasons to watch that shitfest known as Two and a Half Men.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2020 8:59 PM

More memories from last year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2020 9:03 PM

I first saw her in "Mystic Pizza" as a middle-aged pizzeria owner and then she was everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2020 9:04 PM

R7, are you R200 of the below-linked thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2020 9:07 PM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2020 9:08 PM

Was the cause of death anorexia?

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2020 9:08 PM

Loved her deadpan delivery of lines in Two and a Half Men.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2020 9:09 PM

She had a hot ass but couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2020 9:23 PM

There goes any hope of bringing back Two & a Half Men. No point without Berta.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2020 9:28 PM

My condolences to Colin and family

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2020 9:29 PM

She was great on L.A. Law - was totally screwed over by TPTB by not renewing her contract after one year

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2020 9:30 PM

She had one of the funniest scenes in one of the best-written movies ever: Network.

"These are those four outlines submitted by Universal for an hour series. You needn't bother to read them; I'll tell them to you. The first one is set at a large Eastern law school, presumably Harvard. The series is irresistibly entitled 'The New Lawyers.' The running characters are a crusty-but-benign ex-Supreme Court justice, presumably Oliver Wendell Holmes by way of Dr. Zorba; there's a beautiful girl graduate student; and the local district attorney who is brilliant and sometimes cuts corners. The second one is called 'The Amazon Squad.' The running characters include a crusty-but-benign police lieutenant who's always getting heat from the commissioner; a hard-nosed, hard-drinking detective who thinks women belong in the kitchen; and the brilliant and beautiful young girl cop who's fighting the feminist battle on the force. Up next is another one of those investigative reporter shows. A crusty-but-benign managing editor who's always get—"

[Diana cuts her off]

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2020 9:32 PM

Beautiful teeth

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2020 9:34 PM

[quote]My condolences to Colin and family

Her fraternal twins niece and nephew, Terry and Perry, appreciate your thinking of the family in these tough moments.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2020 9:35 PM

Youthful...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2020 9:37 PM

The Sea Horse

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2020 9:40 PM

April

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2020 9:42 PM

Did she fuck Holland Taylor too?

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2020 9:43 PM

Bite my ass, Kristy Kreme!

by Anonymousreply 23October 13, 2020 9:43 PM

I’m not cleaning that up.

by Anonymousreply 24October 13, 2020 9:48 PM

Remember the episode when Walden and Alan woke up in their underwear after a party. The living room around them was trashed. Suddenly, the front door opens, and Berta enters the house. Walden says "Berta! Thank God you're here!" Berta looks around the room and says "Aw, HELL no!". Then she turns and leaves, closing the door behind her.

by Anonymousreply 25October 13, 2020 9:52 PM

Then there's the scene where Berta reveals to Charlie that she's seen his genitals. He asks her when/how. She says that on Monday mornings, when she cleans his bathroom, she finds him passed out naked in the bathtub, clinging to his manhood like it's a life preserver. Charlie says, "I'm sorry about that." Berta replies, "Don't be!"

by Anonymousreply 26October 13, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote] She was great on L.A. Law - was totally screwed over by TPTB by not renewing her contract after one year

That was Bochco’ed.

by Anonymousreply 27October 13, 2020 10:09 PM

Apparently she was very well loved. She did great theater work.

And her nickname was Chatty!

It's illegal to be nice to an old fat lady on DL but I'm gonna pay homage to her, anyway!

by Anonymousreply 28October 13, 2020 10:19 PM

Has her Nephew Will tweeted?

by Anonymousreply 29October 13, 2020 10:33 PM

"crusty but benign"

by Anonymousreply 30October 13, 2020 10:36 PM

Was very sorry to hear about this. She was a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 31October 13, 2020 10:42 PM

Not many people know that she was M’s aunt and inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 32October 13, 2020 10:42 PM

r8 No. Just a coincidence, not a Mystic Pizza troll.

by Anonymousreply 33October 13, 2020 10:45 PM

"Remember the episode when Walden and Alan woke up in their underwear after a party."

Never saw this episode but I stopped watching when Sheen left the show. Lately, I've been watching seasons 9 through 12 with Ashton Kutcher as the star, and I have to say the show really went off the rails with this 2.0 version. Tremendously unfunny and the entire cast and crew was going through the motions, collecting their paychecks.

And I have yet to figure out how Walden, Kutcher's character, managed to obtain title to a house from a dead man who left no will and for whom apparently no one even had a death certificate.

by Anonymousreply 34October 13, 2020 10:47 PM

No, there was really no reason to watch Charlie Sheen or 2 and a Half Men.

by Anonymousreply 35October 13, 2020 10:49 PM

I liked the show with Kutcher. It was a different show, but it was still funnier than most other sitcoms that were airing at the time. Jon Cryer still still gave 100% and would do anything to make a scene work. The supporting characters were still there. The show added a lot of homoerotic situations between Walden and Alan, but managed to do it in a way that was funny instead of insulting. The finale makes fun of all the flaws that R34 pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 36October 13, 2020 11:18 PM

I learned from this thread that there are people who watched Two and a Half Men and freely admit to it.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2020 11:25 PM

I don't watch sit-coms. I can't even think of the last one I watched.

I guess The Office.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2020 11:31 PM

She stayed close friends with Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2020 11:35 PM

R39, was she Julia’s only friend?

by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2020 11:36 PM

[quote]Apparently she was very well loved. She did great theater work. And her nickname was Chatty!

Yes, it was. I knew Chatty briefly through Circle Rep. Nice woman who described herself as "an old hippie" and elevated everything she was in, comedy or drama.

She was in an excellent episode of "Frank's Place" as a Southern lawyer.

by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2020 11:36 PM

She had a small yet memorable role in "Freeway" as the social worker that got handcuffed so Reese could make her getaway.

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2020 11:38 PM

R41 She really was a very skilled actress. Very good at both comedy and drama, which a lot of actors can't pull off both, let alone very well.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2020 11:40 PM

That could be an interesting funeral if Charlie Sheen and Chuck Lorre both show up. Throw in a little Angus T. Jones (Jake) and Ashton Kutcher and that could be damn right interesting funeral, Conchata would have loved it.

by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2020 11:44 PM

R1 What's wrong with format, too much info in Header?

by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2020 11:50 PM

To his credit, Charlie Sheen made a nice tweet honoring her.

"an absolute sweetheart a consummate pro a genuine friend a shocking and painful loss."

"Berta, your housekeeping was a tad suspect, your "people"keeping was perfect."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2020 11:50 PM

The caftan flapping of the "I couldn't POSSIBLY watch television, except for Lucy" nellie prisspot brigade has begun......

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2020 11:51 PM

Another vote for Hot L Baltimore. Her (paraphrased) line of "You think your insults matter? I've done far worse over the years in beating myself up" was classic.

by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2020 11:55 PM

Most pop culture eldergheys remember her from way back to the early 70s. She had an amazing career for a plus-size gal.

by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2020 11:59 PM

[quote] [R1] What's wrong with format, too much info in Header?

I am not R1 but I think he is referring to the normal heading when someone dies as

[quote] Conchata Ferrell is Dead To Me.

by Anonymousreply 50October 14, 2020 12:02 AM

In an early season of St. Elsewhere, she was heart-breaking as a patient who didn't realize she was pregnant and couldn't imagine how she would care for a baby.

by Anonymousreply 51October 14, 2020 12:07 AM

I loved the episode where Berta quit and Alan went over to Steve Tyler's house where Berta was working to try and get her to come back to work for Charlie. Her back was hurting and Alan offered to give her a chiropractic adjustment on the laundry table, Steve Tyler walked in (although you never see him in that clip) and assumed they were having sex and told her to hang a sock on the door or something.

by Anonymousreply 52October 14, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] In an early season of St. Elsewhere, she was heart-breaking as a patient who didn't realize she was pregnant and couldn't imagine how she would care for a baby.

Just a vision in an autistic boy's snow globe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2020 1:31 AM

HAS CUNT JULIA ROBERTS ISSUED A STATEMENT??!?

by Anonymousreply 54October 14, 2020 1:38 AM

I caught her on Love Boat a few weeks ago. She played a "fat chick." Doc fucked her.

by Anonymousreply 55October 14, 2020 1:42 AM

Like some above posters, I thought she was excellent on L.A. Law. Her character really gave the show new energy and opened it up storywise. She got great reviews and an Emmy nomination!

Then a new producer came on and dumped her and the other new characters to focus on the original cast everyone was already tired of, and the show died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 14, 2020 1:46 AM

I loved her in Erin Brokovich. Loved it when she told off Julia. Of course, Julia had to have the last word and Ferrell's character a bitch. And no apology to her either.

And the audience is supposed to be on cunt Julia's side??

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2020 1:59 AM

*called Ferrell's character a bitch

by Anonymousreply 58October 14, 2020 2:00 AM

I’m actually in Mystic today :(

by Anonymousreply 59October 14, 2020 2:01 AM

I think I killed poor Chatty? I have no idea why, but I could have sworn that she died a month or two ago. In fact, I was at a friend's house a few weeks ago, he was watching a rerun of Two & a Half Men and I even said, "You know, she died recently" when Conchata was in a scene. In reality, she just died yesterday. Who the fuck was I thinking of when I claimed Conchata was dead when she was apparently very much alive (albeit, obviously, with time quickly running out)?

by Anonymousreply 60October 14, 2020 2:02 AM

She, Maureen McCormick, Ron Glass and Mike Damus carried the ill-fated Teen Angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 14, 2020 2:06 AM

I remember her from the comedy "ER" with George Clooney, not to be confused with the much better known drama "ER" with George Clooney. Her husband sang her a song he wrote about her called "Love Handles" in one episode. 😊

by Anonymousreply 62October 14, 2020 2:18 AM

R62, wasn't the comedy named "E/R" instead of "ER"?

by Anonymousreply 63October 14, 2020 2:21 AM

Was she a fat?

by Anonymousreply 64October 14, 2020 2:26 AM

Loved Conchata Ferrell as "Berta" in Two and One Half Men; she stole nearly every scene she was in and had some of the best lines.

When the guys were going gaga over some girl Berta chimed in "hell, I'd even do her...".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65October 14, 2020 2:35 AM

R17

Periodontal disease can be a bitch..... Even when caught early and or all the money in world is thrown at it in treatment often what's done is done in terms of receding gum line. Best most suffering from can hope for in many cases is that the disease is controlled to point teeth aren't lost.

by Anonymousreply 66October 14, 2020 2:38 AM

Dunno, r63. It was a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 67October 14, 2020 2:45 AM

[quote] I don't watch sit-coms.

Yes, you do.

[quote] I can't even think of the last one I watched.

Yes, you can.

[quote] I guess The Office.

You said you couldn't think of one. Why would you lie?

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2020 2:49 AM

Yes, it was "E/R" not ER. This even though series with Ms. Ferrell was nearly a full decade before the Michael Crichton series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2020 2:50 AM

[quote]Has Susan Dey tweeted her condolences?

Yeah, Sooze -- another co-star bites the dust and nothing from you.

by Anonymousreply 70October 14, 2020 2:54 AM

She starred along with Rip Torn in a film named "Heartland." Excellent film with two outstanding performances. It will break your heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 14, 2020 3:34 AM

I’ve always liked her chocolates.

by Anonymousreply 72October 14, 2020 3:45 AM

[quote] I’ve always liked her chocolates.

So did she apparently.

by Anonymousreply 73October 14, 2020 3:48 AM

I’ll always associate her with the the movie Nadia, the story of Nadia Comaneci which i watched multiple times as a gayling into gymnastics.

by Anonymousreply 74October 14, 2020 3:54 AM

r74 How was she on the floor exercises?

by Anonymousreply 75October 14, 2020 3:57 AM

R71, she should have been nominated for that. She was fantastic and it was the only time I’ve ever seen her play a lead role.

She was certainly more worthy of nod than fucking Marsha Mason in “Chapter Two.”

by Anonymousreply 76October 14, 2020 4:01 AM

Anyone remember her Good Times episode? Willona takes a job working security in a department store. She has to spy on people in the fitting room. Conchata is her boss.

by Anonymousreply 77October 14, 2020 4:07 AM

I’m surprised there haven’t been more tributes to her.

by Anonymousreply 78October 14, 2020 4:14 AM

[quote] I’m surprised there haven’t been more tributes to her.

They take a while to get around.

by Anonymousreply 79October 14, 2020 4:17 AM

She was in a lot of things and I do remember the Good Times ep since it reruns so often. I remember her best from Mystic Pizza and of course Two and a Half men. She and the mother were really the best thing about that show. The Ashton Kutcher years had a few funny episodes, but overall was dreadful. I noticed CF seemed a little ill then. The Charlie Sheen years were much better, but even towards the end of his run the show was getting stale.

by Anonymousreply 80October 14, 2020 4:37 AM

I wish I could remember her monologue from "Frank's Place." She was a lawyer with a big hat representing the widow of an elderly black man who had driven off a bridge in the rain after being "overserved" at Frank's restaurant. It was something like:

"Frank, this case is personal to me. She worked for my family before I was born. I grew up with her as a second mother and my own mother died in her arms. In short, she is the most wonderful person I have ever known, her husband is dead due to your negligence, and I intend that she should own your restaurant when this is over. Have a nice day."

The widow was Beah Richards, and it was like a master class in acting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 14, 2020 5:43 AM

Working with dear little Faye may have shortened her life expectancy somewhat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 14, 2020 5:51 AM

Shut up, little homosexual boy!

by Anonymousreply 83October 14, 2020 5:53 AM

R34, "And I have yet to figure out how Walden, Kutcher's character, managed to obtain title to a house from a dead man who left no will and for whom apparently no one even had a death certificate."

It's a fair question, but the answer -- like it or not -- is because it's a sitcom.

I can't say I saw every Walden episode, but I enjoyed the ones I did see and I thought the finale, which just reran over the weekend, was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 84October 14, 2020 6:09 AM

Frank’s Place was a neglected masterpiece

by Anonymousreply 85October 14, 2020 6:48 AM

I’ll always remember her as “Shamu the Killer Dyke” in My Fellow Americans.

by Anonymousreply 86October 14, 2020 6:56 AM

Here's a fun quiz question. How is this a related thread?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87October 14, 2020 8:05 AM

I hate that now she was in absolutely everything EVER! Her Oscar for Cabaret, her star vehicle 🚗 in Mahogany, with Burton in the Sandpiper...........

by Anonymousreply 88October 14, 2020 10:41 AM

[quote] I’m surprised there haven’t been more tributes to her.

[quote] They take a while to get around.

No, they don't. Social media makes it immediate. Can you explain why "They take a while to get around?" What did you mean?

by Anonymousreply 89October 14, 2020 10:49 AM

That scene at the end of Casablanca with Rick on the tarmac

by Anonymousreply 90October 14, 2020 11:29 AM

Nothing from Julia Roberts, Annabeth Gish or Lily Taylor? Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 91October 14, 2020 1:23 PM

Annabeth:

[quote] She was a beautiful, jubilant lifeforce. Loved her first from way back in #heartland. Then had the pleasure of hugging her hard in Mystic Pizza. A very sad loss today.

by Anonymousreply 92October 14, 2020 1:25 PM

Loved her in everything I saw her in, sad to hear that she's died.

And thank you OP for not succumbing to the basic bitches who can't comprehend that a celebrity has died unless the subject line says "dead to me."

by Anonymousreply 93October 14, 2020 1:26 PM

R89 Little Miss thought she was clever by - get this - making a fat joke.

Never done before on the DL!

by Anonymousreply 94October 14, 2020 1:26 PM

R60, I thought she had died recently too! Weird...

by Anonymousreply 95October 14, 2020 1:33 PM

She did.

Yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 96October 14, 2020 1:47 PM

There was a news brief a month or so ago, that said she had slipped into a coma. Maybe some people assumed then that she had died. The announcement was kind of unnoticed because of all the crazy political news going on.

by Anonymousreply 97October 14, 2020 2:24 PM

She had a bad kidney infection late last year that turned into sepsis and never fully got over it. She left the hospital at some point but went back in May, ended up in the ICU and then went into cardiac arrest after a few days. She' was revived but had been in a care facility ever since.

by Anonymousreply 98October 14, 2020 2:34 PM

I loved her work. I saw her around Studio City several times back in the day when she was working regularly. Very friendly. Always chatting up whomever. Not a snob at all.

What happened? CoViD?

by Anonymousreply 99October 14, 2020 2:41 PM

Here's the other Conchata link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100October 14, 2020 3:18 PM

r99 Can you read?

by Anonymousreply 101October 14, 2020 3:30 PM

Have to say unless missing something tributes are rather on low side, this about 24 hours after Ms. Ferrell's demise was announced.

Charlie Sheen and Jon Cryer seem to be the only two from Two and Half Men that have Tweeted anything. Angus T. Jones and rest of cast seem conspicuously absent.

by Anonymousreply 102October 14, 2020 4:48 PM

R102, Melanie Lynski (Rose) posted a tribute quickly. The other cast don't seem to be on social media that frequently.

Ashton Kutcher is on social media a lot, but he appears to have been absent for the past few days. I'm sure he'll post a tribute. In the past few years, Conchata made regular appearances on Ashton's show, "The Ranch".

by Anonymousreply 103October 14, 2020 4:55 PM

R103

Still when you consider the rather long list of guest and or recurrent actors from Two and one Half Men tributes or even just an acknowledgment of Ms. Ferrell's passing seem rather low.

Berta was on that show from start to finish, and usually every episode of a season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104October 14, 2020 5:23 PM

We had a thread last summer after her heart attack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 14, 2020 5:31 PM

Nothing on Mary McDonnell’s Twitter or Instagram!

by Anonymousreply 106October 14, 2020 5:43 PM

Doesn't seem to be anything form Megan Fox either....

by Anonymousreply 107October 14, 2020 6:12 PM

Her E/R costar Elliott Gould hasn’t posted since 2018. Has anyone checked on him lately? Or is he doing a Susan Dey?

by Anonymousreply 108October 14, 2020 6:19 PM

Conchita has asked for privacy at this time.

by Anonymousreply 109October 14, 2020 6:32 PM

^^Conchata

by Anonymousreply 110October 14, 2020 6:32 PM

Holland Taylor simply retweeted Jon Cryer’s tribute. I understand it might be harder for the poor thing to type whole sentences, though.

by Anonymousreply 111October 14, 2020 6:38 PM

Man I always wanted to spread her legs and eat her sloppy pussy.

by Anonymousreply 112October 14, 2020 7:18 PM

Charlie: She just moved next door. She's gorgeous, divorced, and loaded!

Alan: Mm-hmm... What's wrong with her?

Charlie: Why does something have to be wrong with her?

Alan: Because there's only two reasons you ever set me up with a woman. Either you need somebody to keep the emotionally disturbed or cross-eyed or hermaphroditic best friend busy while you do the pretty girl, or... OK, I guess there's just one reason.

Charlie: There is nothing wrong with Danielle. Berta, is she or is she not gorgeous?

Berta: Hey, I'd do her.

by Anonymousreply 113October 15, 2020 6:17 AM

And still no Instagram tribute from fucking Julia Roberts!!!

by Anonymousreply 114October 15, 2020 6:21 AM

Charlie: Who knows more about girls than your Uncle Charlie?

Berta: Warren Beatty, Bill Clinton, Rosie O'Donnell...

by Anonymousreply 115October 15, 2020 6:40 AM

Conchata was on Maude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116October 15, 2020 3:23 PM

I was surprised to find out she was straight.

by Anonymousreply 117October 15, 2020 3:31 PM

Truth to tell the moment has gone; anyone who hasn't Tweeted or otherwise reached out with a message of condolence or whatever on Ms. Ferrell's death is just late. It's like someone's birthday; calling them or whatever three or four days after event is all very well, but the moment has passed.

If this were thirty or even twenty years ago when a news reporter or someone had to physically contact those who knew the deceased for a "statement", things might be different. But today nearly all Hollywood/entertainment industry is plugged in; even if they don't Tweet or have Instagram they would have known at once about Ms. Ferrell's passing and could have released a statement via their agents or whatever.

Megan Fox apparently is too busy with her latest beau "Machine Gun Kelly" to even be bothered. That and moaning about how badly her latest film "Jennifer's Body" is being received she has time for......

by Anonymousreply 118October 15, 2020 5:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!