Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bulgarian food

Is anybody familiar with it?

I'm recently dating a half Bulgarian man and he is always raving about the food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75October 10, 2020 10:26 AM

It's pretty gross, actually. If you want good food head over the border to Serbia, Greece or Turkey.

by Anonymousreply 1October 8, 2020 10:06 PM

All of it looks really good to me. I'd eat it for sure, especially that grilled meat platter.

by Anonymousreply 2October 8, 2020 10:06 PM

I'm Bulgarian and I like it :) I would hesitate to offer some of it to foreigners, though. I don't like foods that are drastically different from what I'm used to and I don't like to assume others would.

by Anonymousreply 3October 8, 2020 10:08 PM

Also, R1, you are wrong. Balkan foodis pretty much intermeshed (is that a word?) so you get different variations of the same things.

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2020 10:09 PM

R4 That's true, but that doesn't mean that those "variations" are equally tasty in all of the countries. Food in those other places I mentioned is pretty similar but a lot more imaginative and diverse. Bulgaria and Romania have the blandest food out of all those ex-Ottoman places in the Balkans.

by Anonymousreply 5October 8, 2020 10:13 PM

I've always wanted to try the lutenitsa (sp.?) spread. For those in the know, is this recipe legit?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 8, 2020 10:18 PM

I get the Balkan Salad and the ajvar and Walmart, which are both made in Bulgaria. I know, but that's the only place I can find it. I use the two together for omelets with a little ricotta mixed in, delicious.

by Anonymousreply 7October 8, 2020 10:23 PM

R6, it's completely legit, and lutenitsa is DELICIOUS. Some people add grilled eggplants to the mix.

You can also try kyopoolu. (Always use olive oil.)

Can you give some examples, R5? Because I disagree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 8, 2020 10:24 PM

^...at Walmart

by Anonymousreply 9October 8, 2020 10:25 PM

Too much bulgur in Bulgarian cuisine!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 8, 2020 10:45 PM

Lol, bulgur is very rare in BG cuisine actually.

by Anonymousreply 11October 8, 2020 10:49 PM

How's the food in Montenegro?

by Anonymousreply 12October 8, 2020 10:53 PM

I love Bulgarian clowns, though.

by Anonymousreply 13October 8, 2020 11:02 PM

R8, thanks! I think I will make that over the weekend. It seems simple enough.

by Anonymousreply 14October 8, 2020 11:03 PM

Isn’t the itinerant farmer in God’s Own Country Bulgarian?

by Anonymousreply 15October 8, 2020 11:04 PM

R15, he is Romanian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 8, 2020 11:05 PM

I visited Sofia, Bulgaria (gorgeous, by the way).

I honestly don’t recall anything about the food

by Anonymousreply 17October 8, 2020 11:09 PM

Banitsa is divine! When done properly, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 18October 8, 2020 11:11 PM

Mmmmm, banitsa! With cheese and greens. Yum!

Also, tarator, musaka, monastery-style beans, shopska salad and stuffed peppers.

Now I'm hungry.

by Anonymousreply 19October 8, 2020 11:26 PM

R14, I forgot to say you should add chopped parsley too. I add 1 thick bunch per 1 big bowl of kyopoolu.

by Anonymousreply 20October 8, 2020 11:27 PM

I'm familiar. The main ingredient? Poverty.

by Anonymousreply 21October 8, 2020 11:29 PM

You're not wrong, R21. Poverty, though, has created one of the richest vegetarian cuisines in Europe at least. Meat was always a luxury and only eaten on major holidays. So vegetarians and vegans could benefit from Bulgaria's centuries of tradition in creating tasty and nutritious meatless dishes.

by Anonymousreply 22October 8, 2020 11:35 PM

R22, that's so true actually. We Americans really have been spoiled by the meat industry.

by Anonymousreply 23October 8, 2020 11:38 PM

R19, YTF.

by Anonymousreply 24October 8, 2020 11:40 PM

[quote] How's the food in Montenegro?

It has a style all its own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 8, 2020 11:42 PM

[quote] Mmmmm, banitsa! With cheese and greens. Yum!

Mmmmm, EVOO.

by Anonymousreply 26October 8, 2020 11:47 PM

I don't know what this dish is, but it looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 9, 2020 12:20 AM

These are grilled peppers in tomato sauce, R27. I personally don't like them and prefer them in garlic-vinegar-olive oil-parsley sauce but many people swear by them.

by Anonymousreply 28October 9, 2020 12:34 AM

R5 - I don't agree. I have been to Balgaria and the food has Turkish influence and is quite tasty. Romanian food varies from region to region but is far better than other Eastern European food I have tried due to the variety of vegetable, spice and meat types as well as seasoned stews, cream and clear soups and bbq. I like the food here a lot and the deserts are amazing because the Austrians and their many pastries had quite an influence.

Czech, Russian, Polish and other cuisines are blander. I ate great dishes in the Balkans and by the Black Sea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 9, 2020 1:13 AM

Russian and Polish dishes are practically inedible. Bland doesn't begin to describe it. Fattening, spiceless and so. Much. Raw. Dough. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 30October 9, 2020 1:31 AM

I used to go to the Polish delis in Greenpoint. Delicious meats, especially sausages.

by Anonymousreply 31October 9, 2020 1:53 AM

I really loved the food in Bulgaria. But that is as much because of the quality of the produce, spices, etc over there.

The national dish is the shopska salad. Diced cucumbers, diced tomatoes, a bland cheese, and olive oil with lemon juice.

Over there is is simple and ravishingly delicious .

In America with our flavorless cucumbers and hard textured tomatoes, it is impossible to duplicate.

by Anonymousreply 32October 9, 2020 1:56 AM

R32, also chopped grilled peppers, onions, parsley and (optionally) vinegar, never lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 33October 9, 2020 1:59 AM

Is there such a thing as Bulgarian soul food?

by Anonymousreply 34October 9, 2020 2:00 AM

Define soul food, R34

by Anonymousreply 35October 9, 2020 2:10 AM

It ain't no Moldavian food.

by Anonymousreply 36October 9, 2020 5:28 AM

I sucked off a hot Bulgarian in a videobooth. I've never had anyone come in such great volume. It must be in their food.

by Anonymousreply 37October 9, 2020 5:33 AM

R36 - I also disagree. Moldavian food has amazing soups, borscht and loads of diverse stews, spreads and their cheese, jams and cakes are incredibly tasty and complex. Also, Moldavian bread pastries are renowned.

by Anonymousreply 38October 9, 2020 8:58 AM

Guy Fieri visited a Bulgarian restaurant in Vegas, called Forte.

The cook made Kiufte, Kebabche, Liuteniza, and a Thracian clay pot.

The meat platters came with sliced onions, pickled beans, bread and other vegetables.

The clay pot looked great. It was a pot with sliced tomatoes, roasted bell peppers, paprika, hot peppers, feta cheese, sausage, and topped with an egg. It looked so good.

I'm guessing that was authentic, but I have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 39October 9, 2020 9:44 AM

That's called gyuveché, R39. It's delicious.

How did you remember the names of all these foods?!

by Anonymousreply 40October 9, 2020 11:27 AM

Bulgaria was under the Ottoman thumb for close to 500 years. Bulgarian cuisine is identical to that found in Turkey and every other country under the Ottoman thumb. Even the food names are very similar.

by Anonymousreply 41October 9, 2020 11:35 AM

R41, not true.

by Anonymousreply 42October 9, 2020 11:48 AM

I watched that episode over 20 times R40... lol.

The food looked so good, so I always catch that episode of Diner's, Drive-Ins, and Dives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43October 9, 2020 11:50 AM

R42 Yes it is. Google the history of Bulgarian cuisine. ALL Turkish in origin. Even the names of the food are almost identical, e.g., Kufteh (Turkish) - kyufteh (Bulgarian); shishlek (Turkish) - shishcheta (Bulgarian); Meze (Turkish and Bulgarian); kebab (Turkish) - Kebapche (Bulgarian). And chorba, which is the same all over the former Ottoman empire.

by Anonymousreply 44October 9, 2020 11:58 AM

Are you trying to school me in my own history and cuisine, R44? Yes, I am aware that all Balkan food is basically the same - Turkish and Greek influences being the strongest. However, the way these dishes evolved in the different regions is quite different and you'll find little in common between a Turkish, a Bulgarian and a Serbian kyufte, for example.

Meze means food that you eat with alcohol to not get too drunk, it's not a specific dish. Chorba means thick soup in general and also isn't a specific dish. Yes, Turkish words are still used throughout the former Ottoman empire.

by Anonymousreply 45October 9, 2020 12:07 PM

R45, get real. I am a Bulgarian. And, yes, the food is basically similar to the Turkish cuisine. The only difference is that Bulgarians use pork and animal fats like lard. Also Bulgarian food have some Northern European influence. Or maybe Russian. Like salads with mayonnaise, cabbage potatoes, which is not common in Turkish cuisine. Any cuisine is heavily influenced by the history and economy. Bulgaria has always been a very poor country. Different variations of meatless and meat stews are the staple. This was the way to stretch the limited resources and feed the family. Everything is eaten with a lot of bread. For example we would eat meatless potatoes stew with bread growing up. One thing for sure you could find very good bread in Bulgaria.

by Anonymousreply 46October 9, 2020 12:23 PM

[quote]you'll find little in common between a Turkish, a Bulgarian and a Serbian kyufte, for example.

R45 The recipes are identical: meat, onions, cumin, herbs, salt.

[quote]Meze means food that you eat with alcohol to not get too drunk,

I know exactly what meze is. And the word, items served and purpose are identical all over the former Ottoman empire.

[quote]Chorba means thick soup in general and also isn't a specific dish.

Chorba is very much a specific dish, and you'll get almost the same chorba in Sofia, Bucharest, Budapest and Istanbul.

by Anonymousreply 47October 9, 2020 12:26 PM

Къде видя салати с майонеза и картофи със зеле бе, човек. Ще умра.

by Anonymousreply 48October 9, 2020 12:26 PM

R47 nope. Not even a little bit. Example: a chorba made with beans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 9, 2020 12:28 PM

R46, no problem. It will not be a big loss.

by Anonymousreply 50October 9, 2020 12:28 PM

Bulgarian cuisine and culture is unique because the region has been a crossroad for two millenia. It is neither East and West, Iron Curtain and Western, Muslim and Christian, Northern and Souther---it has all mixed there for a very long time to make a stew that is unique even when the influences are obvious.

by Anonymousreply 51October 9, 2020 12:29 PM

R50, oh, you can use Google translate?

You're Bulgarian when I'm a pumpkin.

by Anonymousreply 52October 9, 2020 12:30 PM

R49 Bean chorba is the same in Sofia, Bucharest, Budapest and Istanbul. In Istanbul, they also use lentils.

R51 The only different between Bulgaria and the former Yugoslavia was the alphabet. Otherwise, exact same culinary and cultural influences.

by Anonymousreply 53October 9, 2020 12:34 PM

Please ignore the pseudo-Bulgarian troll, DL. He's spewing absolute bullshit and disinformation that has nothing to do with reality. There is no mayonnaise in Bulgarian cuisine, nor are there potatoes with cabbage. He's making all of this up and, frankly, I can't begin to imagine why.

by Anonymousreply 54October 9, 2020 12:35 PM

R53, no. Influences, yes.

by Anonymousreply 55October 9, 2020 12:36 PM

Check the руска салата. Also go back to Sofia and visit the salad bar of any supermarket. Plenty of mayonnaise based concoctions. Приятен ден. 😃

by Anonymousreply 56October 9, 2020 12:41 PM

[quote]There is no mayonnaise in Bulgarian cuisine, nor are there potatoes with cabbage.

R54 Uh . . .

Ruska salata: salad with potatoes, carrots, gherkins, and mayonnaise

(As a result of the heavy influence of Russia in Bulgaria from WWII onward)

Fun fact: Bulgaria fought on the side of Hitler and the Axis, until Russia invaded the Balkans, when they changed sides.

by Anonymousreply 57October 9, 2020 12:43 PM

I sometimes make this simple dish, which I understand to be Bulgarian. It feeds two. Mix a minced clove of garlic in 1/2 cup thick strained yoghurt (so Greek would be easiest for most to buy) then divide and spread over 2 plates. Poach 2 eggs for each plate, and make sure you place and sort of wrap them in paper towels to dry them off before you place them on the yoghurt. Melt a tablespoon of butter and mix in a teaspoon of sweet paprika and pour this over the eggs. I made it because it looked weird but found it to be delicious!

by Anonymousreply 58October 9, 2020 12:44 PM

It’s all cabbage and goat pieces

by Anonymousreply 59October 9, 2020 12:44 PM

Balkanization is happening before our eyes in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 60October 9, 2020 12:45 PM

I am IN Sofia and shitty streed salads have zero to do with traditional cuisine. Stop copying stuff from Google translate and sit down, R56.

Ruska salata literally means Russian salad and is the famous Olivier salad. It's a foreign dish. Like you cooking borscht ot tacos, for example.

by Anonymousreply 61October 9, 2020 12:45 PM

R58 That sounds like banitsa without the pastry.

by Anonymousreply 62October 9, 2020 12:48 PM

These are "yaytsa na ochi" (eye-style eggs) and one of my favourite foods, R59. Make sure to brown the butter before pouring it. Also, you will need more yoghurt (one bowl) and salt.

by Anonymousreply 63October 9, 2020 12:49 PM

R62, again, NO, it doesn't. Not even a little bit. WTF??

by Anonymousreply 64October 9, 2020 12:50 PM

Interesting R7, I'll have to keep an eye out for both of those next time I go to Walmart. I did notice that Hellman's now sells a roasted red pepper sauce too, seems to have the same ingredients as the Ajvar recipes I'm seeing online, but it's got a much smoother consistency.

by Anonymousreply 65October 9, 2020 1:13 PM

Do they also have that amazing Macedonian bread called bebek or something?

by Anonymousreply 66October 9, 2020 2:39 PM

I think not, R66. What is it like?

by Anonymousreply 67October 9, 2020 5:20 PM

It's burek r67. Sorry, it's been a long time.

I googled and found this. Even plain burek is absolutely divine. Wonderful fresh baked for breakfast. Damn you I'm hungry now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 9, 2020 7:54 PM

It's burek r67. Sorry, it's been a long time.

I googled and found this. Even plain burek is absolutely divine. Wonderful fresh baked for breakfast. Damn you I'm hungry now!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 9, 2020 7:54 PM

I thought they ate goats and rats

by Anonymousreply 70October 9, 2020 8:36 PM

Assuming some of you are really Bulgarian, does the chorba have to be thick and a bit tart? In Bucharest, it isn't made with sour cream, but come north and it is. Also, are there stuffed cabbage rolls?

The rest sounds incredibly exotic compared to Romanian food which leans more towards German fare with pork, cabbage, potatoes, and sausages. Chorba and "mititei" are about the only Turkish influences. I kind of prefer the Turkish influence tbh. I miss LA's variety of spices and lamb dishes in Middle Eastern restaurants and homes.

One tip...date a Persian guy who knows how to cook and ask him to cook something. Amazing homemade stews and meat dishes.

by Anonymousreply 71October 9, 2020 11:19 PM

R69, oh yes, burek is really popular in Bulgaria. It's a type of banitsa. There are several regional variations (for example, Sofia burek) which are all delicious.

R71, chorba really means just thick soup or often is just another word for soup. There are literally thousands of variations. I admit I don't know how the word is used in Romania. Despite the West often lumping us together for marketing reasons, Bulgaria and Romania don't have that much in common. The Danube is an important border that has been observed throughout the millennia so the cultures that developed on both sides are very different. The rest of the Balkans don't really consider Romania a truly Balkan country.

Meze, as I said, is alcohol food and the word means "nibbles". It can be literally anything - from just bread, to salad, mushrooms, etc. It's most often used (in Bulgaria) to describe a platter of assorted cheeses and meats, as well as pickled vegetables (turshia). I'm not sure how the word is used in Turkey.

Russia also has a rich tradition in alcohol foods, only they call it "zakuska", a word that in Bulgarian means "breakfast". So, as you can see, a lot of words are borrowed or similar but have come to mean different things in the different cultures of the region.

by Anonymousreply 72October 10, 2020 1:45 AM

Oh, and about the stuffed cabbage rolls - do you mean sarmi, where minced meat and spices are rilled in a sauerkraut leaf?

by Anonymousreply 73October 10, 2020 1:47 AM

R72 - yes, this summer a Romanian couple and a fellow US expat with a Romanian wife went to the beach in Bulgaria after passing the COVID test. They said that though the cities look similar, the food there was like a mix of what they tasted in Turkey and what is out here. Of course the language is Slavic so they used English and they loved the food. I actually mentioned this to my roommate last night and she said that while Romanians got lucky (for once ha ha) the poor Bulgarian people had to cope with Ottoman oppression for far longer but, according to most Romanians, Bulgaria is still somehow more organized than Romania, which is essentially a sort of Latin mess mixed with Eastern European (her words, not mine).

I do recognize some of the food. By "zakuska" do you mean that red pepper and vegetable spread? They make that here and it is put on bread and served at breakfast with "slanina" (smoked cold pork fat bacon) and a sort of feta. Also, yes, by sarmi I mean the stuffed cabbage rolls that are called "sarmale" here.

Another interesting thing my roommate was saying was that during communist times, her grandma would go to Bulgaria and buy not only mod dresses (as they had to be custom made here but Bulgaria had them in stores) and the very famous rose perfume, oils, and soaps. Apparently, Bulgaria had amazing rose products.

Anyway, I do look forward to a trip to your country as it sounds nice and the pictures my colleagues showed were also beautiful and they said the people were warm and friendly hosts.

by Anonymousreply 74October 10, 2020 8:41 AM

Thank you for the very interesting peek into what Romanians think about us, R74! It's funny because here we kind of see them as more organized (they had this wonderful anti-corruption chief prosecutor Laura Kövesi who we are all envious for!:).

Zakuska means breakfast. What you're describing is probably lyutenitsa or ajvar? We have slanina too, my grandma used to love it :)

I would also like to visit Romania some day. I'm less interested in the cities than the beautiful mountains which I 'd love to see. Any recommendations for must-see places?

by Anonymousreply 75October 10, 2020 10:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!