Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Leaked' pictures of Cary Grant and Randolph Scott hint at a gay relationship that never was

Film historian says seemingly intimate photos are just publicity shots from a more innocent age

He was one of the biggest stars of the golden age of Hollywood, with Ingrid Bergman and Grace Kelly among his leading ladies on screen and five wives in real life.

However, photographs leaked in the 1930s of Cary Grant with his friend and fellow actor Randolph Scott have led to the assumption that he preferred men instead of women.

Intimate shots showed them sunbathing shirtless on adjacent loungers, sitting on a diving board, with Scott's hands seemingly poised to encourage his friend into the water or even to caress his shoulder, and a romantic silhouette of them together.

However, the apparently suggestive shots now have another explanation as it emerged that the photographs were actually commissioned by the actors' studio and carefully staged by a professional photographer in a home that they shared.

Evidence in the studio's archives reveals that they were part of a publicity campaign promoting both stars as Hollywood's most eligible bachelors.

The discovery has been made by Mark Glancy, a film historian based in London, who said: "Previous biographers have mistaken these for photographs of their real home life that somehow got leaked or mistakenly released to the press.

"But I went to the Paramount Pictures archive and found that actually these photographs were commissioned by Paramount as part of a publicity campaign that ran throughout the 1930s, that promoted their relationship as that of two bachelors who were very heterosexual, and they used it for them to endorse products such as soups."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69October 6, 2020 9:15 PM

Pathetic projecting. Straight guys pal around, live together, mock and tease each other all the time .... however when you're hellbent on creating a narrative ....

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2020 5:30 PM

The discovery has been made by Mark Glancy, a film historian based in London, who said: "Previous biographers have mistaken these for photographs of their real home life that somehow got leaked or mistakenly released to the press.

"But I went to the Paramount Pictures archive and found that actually these photographs were commissioned by Paramount as part of a publicity campaign that ran throughout the 1930s, that promoted their relationship as that of two bachelors who were very heterosexual, and they used it for them to endorse products such as soups."

You've got to be fucking kidding me. It was obviously a matter of historic record that these were PR shots. I've heard them described as such ever since I first heard of them. The homoerotic undertones were seen as comical. Next up from this London-based genius: "It was widely supposed that King Kong was an actual 80-ft.-tall ape. However I discovered that he was only a small puppet, and furthermore, that the elevated train he pulled down was, in fact, a model."

by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2020 5:39 PM

Thirty year old men don't have roommates.

by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2020 5:42 PM

These shots were in movie magazines at the time. Everybody should know that. That was because they were living together and the studio wanted to show how innocent it was, that they were just too crazy hetro batchelors having a carefree life, and offset the rumors about their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2020 5:44 PM

R3, live in NYC or SF?

by Anonymousreply 5October 5, 2020 5:45 PM

Exactly the sort of good-nature’s hijinks I engaged in frequently while I was still alive!

by Anonymousreply 6October 5, 2020 5:47 PM

What did people think? That they just went gay all of a sudden?

by Anonymousreply 7October 5, 2020 5:47 PM

^^^ natured

We NEED a ducking edit feature!

by Anonymousreply 8October 5, 2020 5:48 PM

Are these the same photos we've been cooing over for decades?

The link only showed me one.

by Anonymousreply 9October 5, 2020 5:53 PM

The only thing that "leaked" were their cocks after they came in each other's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 10October 5, 2020 5:54 PM

This is bad, uninformed revisionist history.

Someone Mr. Glancy that he hasn't "discovered" anything. He's merely misinterpreting existent data for whatever reason.

by Anonymousreply 11October 5, 2020 5:56 PM

R9, yes, the same homo-tinged PR shots that we always knew were PR shots.

Another English genius at work, folks.

Next up from the same idiot; "It was widely assumed that Plymouth Rock was named after the car. But I recently discovered..."

by Anonymousreply 12October 5, 2020 5:57 PM

Really. Why can't people accept that Cary may have been gay or bisexual? This is so tiresome.

by Anonymousreply 13October 5, 2020 5:59 PM

Both were already successful actors when these pictures were taken. Why the hell would either of them needed a roommate?

"No man over the age of 30 has a roommate. If they're not lovers, they're sisters."

by Anonymousreply 14October 5, 2020 5:59 PM

[Quote]Thirty year old men don't have roommates.

That might change with the increase of incels an social media making everyone socially retarded. Less men going into university and getting married they'll need to live with other men.

by Anonymousreply 15October 5, 2020 6:00 PM

*Fewer men

by Anonymousreply 16October 5, 2020 6:01 PM

The argument is not whether or not Grant was gay or bi or whatever.

The argument is that anyone thought these were candid snaps. Which they couldn't less obviously NOT be if the photos had been taken with the fucking Hubble Telescope.

by Anonymousreply 17October 5, 2020 6:03 PM

LA was expensive, and movie stars didn’t make as much as one might imagine.

by Anonymousreply 18October 5, 2020 6:04 PM

They got base contract salaries from the studio system back then. There were no big paydays. And I first saw these pictures in 1991 when I was in college studying film. These aren't new.

Here's one of the more "infamous" ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 5, 2020 6:21 PM

Hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 5, 2020 6:22 PM

And here's a discussion had HERE with 492 replies!

It was started in 2015! Sorry to steal your thunder 2015 Troll!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 5, 2020 6:26 PM

We are so used to looking for gay.

Most people in the 1930s were not. They would have considered being gay a very rare thing.

So many would not have picked up on the fact that the pics were of two queens living with each other, not bachelors.

by Anonymousreply 22October 5, 2020 6:27 PM

Logic says that percentage of gay vs straight population and every colour of the rainbow in between was the same as now. Not rare in Hollywood by any means. Less out in the open? Sure.

by Anonymousreply 23October 5, 2020 6:31 PM

Lol, R12. Perfect comparison.

by Anonymousreply 24October 5, 2020 6:36 PM

They were both extremely good looking but Randolph Scott was unearthly handsome.

by Anonymousreply 25October 5, 2020 6:45 PM

r24 It was pretty much very acceptable to be gay in the 20s and 30s in Hollywood. In fact, gays and lesbians were drawn to the film community in the silent era because of how wild and open people were. It was society outside of the "Hollywood Community" that made gays and lesbians' lives miserable, (hence the police raids on Bars and private parties.) Not saying there weren't homophobes in Hollywood, but men who worked at the Studios would and could hook up and no one cared.

(I had an old aunt who was a Hollywood starlet in the 30s and she told me stories of the wild times everyone had.)

by Anonymousreply 26October 5, 2020 6:45 PM

My Favorite Photo from the shoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 5, 2020 6:47 PM

I love how the studio made Cary get married to make him look less gay to the public, and he stayed married to his assistant for like a year, and then moved back in with Randolph, because he missed his best friend. So cute.

by Anonymousreply 28October 5, 2020 6:53 PM

Cary Grant is just a bit to elegant and well groomed to be straight. Definitely bi. But peerless as the embodiment of male charm and class. I wish men today would take after him more. It makes sense Grant's counterpart would be someone as dashing as Randolph Scott!

by Anonymousreply 29October 5, 2020 6:59 PM

The idea that Cary Grant and Randolph Scott couldn't afford to have separate apartments is ludicrous. While it is true that actors didn't make the kinds of salaries that current A-listers do, they still did far better than the average person (who in 1940 was making less than $1400/year). The truth is, movie stars were quite wealthy, even back then.

by Anonymousreply 30October 5, 2020 7:07 PM

[quote]But peerless as the embodiment of male charm and class.

Quite remarkable as Grant was poorly educated working class.

by Anonymousreply 31October 5, 2020 7:59 PM

r28, Cary Grant didn't marry his assistant, he married actress Virginia Cherrill for a year. Grant, Cherrill and Scott sailed to Europe together in November 1933. Grant and Cherrill were married in London in February 1934, and divorced in March 1935. Throughout their marriage, Scott had an apartment in the same Hollywood complex as the newlyweds.

by Anonymousreply 32October 5, 2020 8:01 PM

It has long been believed that Greta Garbo had a speech impediment. But film historian Mark Glancy has recently discovered evidence that Garbo may have had a Swedish accent.

by Anonymousreply 33October 5, 2020 8:19 PM

Wasn't the rumor confirmed by everyone who knew them?

by Anonymousreply 34October 5, 2020 8:25 PM

Cary? Cary???!!!

100% straight, my dear.

by Anonymousreply 35October 5, 2020 9:01 PM

In the 1970s I saw an original private photo of Grant and Scott lounging on the beach together. It was owned by a gay Hollywood friend of theirs who gifted it to a friend of mine. I have no more details.

by Anonymousreply 36October 5, 2020 9:15 PM

These photos are also featured in Grace and Frankie. Martin Sheen is feeling out of place in a leather bar, until a fellow eldergay sees him staring at these photos framed on the wall and strikes up a conversation.

by Anonymousreply 37October 5, 2020 9:21 PM

Betty White outed them on the Joy Behar show.

by Anonymousreply 38October 5, 2020 9:37 PM

[quote] The idea that Cary Grant and Randolph Scott couldn't afford to have separate apartments is ludicrous.

They had their own apartments. They just shared the beach house.

by Anonymousreply 39October 5, 2020 10:45 PM

It has long been believed that Rudolph Valentino had been keeping a low profile for the past 90 years. But film historian Mark Glancy has recently discovered evidence that Valentino actually died in 1926.

by Anonymousreply 40October 5, 2020 10:48 PM

It has long been believed that Judy Garland was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs. But London-based film historian Mark Glancy has recently discovered that she thought Marlene Dietrich was a dull cunt.

by Anonymousreply 41October 5, 2020 11:28 PM

London-based, R40! Film historian Mark Glancy is nothing if not London-based!

by Anonymousreply 42October 5, 2020 11:29 PM

It has been long believe that Elizabeth Taylor went to her grave a virgin, having never known the love of a man. But London-based film historian Mark Glancy has recently discovered that Ms. Taylor may have been married as many as three times and consequently obviously spread 'em like cream cheese at a hotel breakfast buffet.

by Anonymousreply 43October 5, 2020 11:32 PM

Both Cary and Randolph were pole smokers.

by Anonymousreply 44October 5, 2020 11:41 PM

R43 That London-based film historian Mark Glancy sounds as clueless as the ghastly Las Vegas-based hack Donald Spoto.

by Anonymousreply 45October 5, 2020 11:44 PM

Straight men over 30 living with roommates is perfectly normal and common!

by Anonymousreply 46October 6, 2020 12:13 AM

Mark Nancy, son of Ronald Reagen and Jane Wyman, discovers that Randolph Scott had granite countertops and was not a lesbian!

by Anonymousreply 47October 6, 2020 12:25 AM

It has been long believe that famed entertainer Liberace was a pussy hound who bagged hundreds of women. But London-based film historian Mark Glancy has recently discovered that Liberace may have once had a gay relationship.

by Anonymousreply 48October 6, 2020 12:32 AM

Wasn't their relationship confirmed by several of their contemporaries?

by Anonymousreply 49October 6, 2020 12:49 AM

[quote]They had their own apartments. They just shared the beach house.

No -- they shared a mansion in Los Feliz as well as the beach house. I guess they just enjoyed being housemates so much!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 6, 2020 12:50 AM

Okay, so Paramount ordered the photo shoot. That doesn't mean shit. 30-year-old men are not roommates for 12 years - especially rich movie stars - and no photographer would set up such photo poses like that.

by Anonymousreply 51October 6, 2020 1:52 AM

[quote]and no photographer would set up such photo poses like that.

Yes, they were as gay as picnic baskets and couldn't conceal their overt flaming desire for one another even during a corporate photo shoot; I mean who could blame the poor mincing pathetics for not wanting to surrender even an hour of mutual oral enjoyment for the sake of their careers! I mean c'mon, its writ large in every pose in every photograph! And well, if you can't see it then you're just blind! Blind I tell you; BLIND!

by Anonymousreply 52October 6, 2020 2:06 AM

R51 They may very well have been a couple, but those photos were staged for a fan magazine about the "merry bachelors". It was a very different and innocent time.

by Anonymousreply 53October 6, 2020 2:12 AM

R19 This is the candid version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 6, 2020 2:14 AM

I am sure the Los Feliz house was haunted. Everything in Los Feliz is haunted

by Anonymousreply 55October 6, 2020 2:42 AM

Their house at 2177 West Live Oak Drive is a modest size compared to the monster across the road—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 6, 2020 3:46 AM

R56 what is the monster across the road?

by Anonymousreply 57October 6, 2020 4:19 AM

YUP, jus assk scotty bowers who knew em....

by Anonymousreply 58October 6, 2020 12:06 PM

[quote]The discovery has been made by Mark Glancy, a film historian based in London, who said: "Previous biographers have mistaken these for photographs of their real home life that somehow got leaked or mistakenly released to the press.

This is bullshit. Everyone knew they were publicity photos commissioned by the studio, people still own the magazines some of these photos were published in.

Sure, they lead to rumors, that's why there's a scene in My Favorite Wife where Grant is daydreaming over a shirtless Scott, it was very directly joking about those rumors that the photoshoot sparked.

But no one except really fucking stupid people who don't know how to use Google ever thought these were "leaked intimate photos."

The Telegraph isn't a great news outlet but I thought they were better than this.

by Anonymousreply 59October 6, 2020 12:13 PM

Here's the happy throuple on board the SS Paris, en route to London in November 1933. Love the matching overcoats Cary and Randy are wearing - and those fabulous scarves!

No, no hint of gay anywhere here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 6, 2020 12:17 PM

This moron has a book about Grant coming out from Oxford University Press, if this little tidbit is in it, they will have some explaining to do.

Did no one even do a tiny bit of fact checking on this crap?

by Anonymousreply 61October 6, 2020 12:17 PM

Film buffs have often wondered why, in all his long career, this Hollywood legend never attended the Academy Awards in person. But London-based film historian Mark Glancy has recently discovered that Mickey Mouse is a cartoon character.

by Anonymousreply 62October 6, 2020 1:08 PM

Fans of the beloved film The Wizard Of Oz have long felt a kinship with big hearted Tin Man looking for a heart, but London based film historian Mark Glancy recently discovered that the character was not made of tin and was in fact played by an actor made of flesh and bone.

by Anonymousreply 63October 6, 2020 1:12 PM

Grant was forced into his first marriage with virginal Virginia Cherrill. They newlyweds moved into the La Ronda Apts and Randy moved into the apartment next door. BF was close but not close enough. Cary started slapping his bride around and then tried to commit suicide by ODing on sleeping pills. Divorced 9 months later. The first of many for Miss Grant. The closet kills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 6, 2020 4:56 PM

Does London-based film historian Mark Glancy think that these publicity shots—which everyone has always known and identified as publicity shots—are the only evidence for Cary Grant and Randolph Scott being gay?

by Anonymousreply 65October 6, 2020 5:04 PM

[quote]YUP, jus assk scotty bowers who knew em....

Hard to do now that he's dead.

by Anonymousreply 66October 6, 2020 5:30 PM

I thought it was known within Hollywood circles at the time that Grant and Scott were lovers. There were as out as people could be in those days.

by Anonymousreply 67October 6, 2020 9:09 PM

It has long been thought that the lumps of brown material that Donald Trump expels from his asshole are the most beautiful pieces of chocolate cake you ever saw. But London-based film historian Mark Glancy has evidence, after 600 blindfold taste tests, that they are actually human excrement.

by Anonymousreply 68October 6, 2020 9:13 PM

R61, Fact-checking!!! What do you think this is, The New Yorker? An English gentleman's word is his bond!! His James Bond, if you will. Good day, sir! I said Good Day!!!

by Anonymousreply 69October 6, 2020 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!