Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix “The Haunting of Bly Manor” reviews/spoilers thread

Variety says it’s a disappointment ☹️

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2020 12:35 PM

Hilary Duff?

by Anonymousreply 1October 5, 2020 2:47 PM

She does look like HD

The fan/genre site reviews like it a lot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 5, 2020 2:48 PM

At 100 on RT but it seems many reviews acknowledge it is lesser than Hill House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 5, 2020 2:53 PM

I didn’t find Hill House that scary. Just sad, really. Hopefully this will be spookier.

by Anonymousreply 4October 5, 2020 3:04 PM

It’s out and really good so far.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2020 8:45 AM

Hill House was a family melodrama with a few supernatural elements. It was ok, but found the easter egg hunt (spotting the ghost, or ghosts, in each episode) a bit gimmicky.

by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2020 9:28 AM

Not seen full reviews for this but have seen that generally it's positive, and I am definitely going to be watching it. I LOVED The Haunting of Hill House.

by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2020 9:46 AM

Watched the first two episodes. The accents are very hammy. So far the best thing about it is T Nia Miller. The children are creepy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2020 9:51 AM

I thought Hill House had a nice slow burn and some creepy moments the first part of the series, but instead of reaching a climax in the last two episodes where they show what happened when they left Hill House as kids and the series finale kind of fizzled. I didn't hate it, but don't think it lived up to the potential it showed early on.

by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2020 12:54 PM

Henry Thomas is really knocking it out of the park as a British alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2020 2:35 PM

What did he do to prepare? Follow himself around for a year?

by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2020 2:50 PM

As soon as the gardener walked in. I just knew we were going to see some LEZ LEZ go down!

LEZ LEZ! Yeah! 👅

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2020 3:06 PM

Nice Exorcist shoutout in Episode 2

by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2020 4:48 PM

OJC's accent is so fucking stupid. Just let him speak normally ffs.

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2020 5:17 PM

What accent is her doing?

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2020 5:18 PM

Scottish

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2020 10:00 PM

OJC is really just spectacular to look at. Breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2020 10:00 PM

He has a flat ass. Nobody's perfect.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2020 10:03 PM

I usually hate evil little boy performances, but the actor playing Miles is very good.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2020 11:24 PM

Episode 5 is where it runs off the rails, they should have probably saved that one towards the end. Too many tricks in the bag so to speak. But excellent acting from T’Nia Miller.

by Anonymousreply 20October 10, 2020 12:36 PM

The ghost child is all kinds of fucked up in the best way possible.

by Anonymousreply 21October 10, 2020 4:16 PM

Well I finished it. It does not work as a whole despite wonderful performances and some good scares. Hill House worked because the parts came together at the end but Bly Manor’s parts come together about halfway through and then it just lumbers toward the end as a Frankenstein’s monster of Victorian horror motifs. Still worth the watch toward the end for some good, life-affirming Lez Lez.

by Anonymousreply 22October 10, 2020 8:42 PM

We need more scares, Mike Flanagan. If I wanted drama, I would stay at home and watch Days of our Lives.

by Anonymousreply 23October 11, 2020 2:29 AM

Just finished the series and it was okay. The main actress who plays the nanny serves a lot of ham with her performance, it became increasingly annoying.

Spoiler Alert:

It’s basically a dyke love story with ghosts.

by Anonymousreply 24October 11, 2020 3:45 AM

I also hated the lizard face bride in the first and final episode.

by Anonymousreply 25October 11, 2020 3:46 AM

On episode 3. At first sight of the dyke gardener I immediately smelled power tools, manderwear and thrift.

by Anonymousreply 26October 11, 2020 3:55 AM

I FF through dyke and hetero love scenes. I don't need to see that.

by Anonymousreply 27October 11, 2020 3:59 AM
by Anonymousreply 28October 11, 2020 10:04 AM

Why you FF thru Lez Lez?

by Anonymousreply 29October 11, 2020 10:10 AM

Only watched episode 1, but could spell the lesbo vibes straight away.

by Anonymousreply 30October 11, 2020 10:11 AM

I cried like a little baby at the end.

by Anonymousreply 31October 11, 2020 8:34 PM

I just finished the 2nd episode... the fuck is this Dani bitch playing hide & seek with these kids after they locked her in a closet??

by Anonymousreply 32October 11, 2020 10:12 PM

Okay I spoiled myself on the lesbian bit ... honestly did not really pick up on that

But what is with these Netflix horror shows and their obsession with lesbians? Lol

Not one can give me a love story with hot gays and ghosts??

by Anonymousreply 33October 11, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote]I just finished the 2nd episode... the fuck is this Dani bitch playing hide & seek with these kids after they locked her in a closet??

OMG, I thought the same. That was such a cliche scene like wandering around in the dark when the lights work. Yeah, someone would really do that after being locked up by these brats and after dark no less.

by Anonymousreply 34October 11, 2020 10:35 PM

R33 I was wondering the same thing. Why is there always a mild lesbian love story on Netflix shows? I was hoping the Peter Quint character was going to have a gay manservant thing going on, but no.....

by Anonymousreply 35October 11, 2020 10:54 PM

Hill House also featured lesbian action!

by Anonymousreply 36October 11, 2020 10:55 PM

R36 I know! So why not mix it up with some hot hairy muscley man-on-man action?

by Anonymousreply 37October 11, 2020 10:58 PM

She's a lesbian because Jamie was originally written for Oliver Jackson-Cohen, but he said Netflix rejected that pitch because they felt audiences wouldn't like seeing two actors who played twins in the last season playing lovers in the second. So Mike Flanagan and Trevor Macy decided to throw in some LGBT representation by casting a woman in the role instead. Two birds, one stone.

Unfortunately that also meant that they gave some shitty third-tier part to OJC instead just to keep him on the cast and he barely has any screentime.

I finished the season last night and it really didn't go anywhere. really wanted to love it but I didn't. It was very Horror 101 basic tropes just thrown in and no real plot. I think this review sums up my feelings pretty well. And yes, many of the "positive" reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are barely positive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 11, 2020 11:00 PM

R38 As long as I get to see Oliver handsome mug I don't care what others are saying! Fuck tomatoes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 11, 2020 11:06 PM

^^ rotten tomatoes!

by Anonymousreply 40October 11, 2020 11:06 PM

OJC has a ton of screen time. Definitely more than the gardener.

by Anonymousreply 41October 11, 2020 11:11 PM

I made it through 2.5 episodes. I'm just not into it.

I'll just re-watch The Innocents instead.

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2020 11:18 PM

The Innoshensh

by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2020 11:41 PM

[quote]OJC has a ton of screen time. Definitely more than the gardener.

Are you serious? He only has lines in 4 out of 9 episodes. The entire season is about the gardener, who in her various incarnations appear in and speak in all but 1 episode, and literally narrates the entire series.

by Anonymousreply 44October 12, 2020 12:04 AM

R44 = idiot

by Anonymousreply 45October 12, 2020 12:16 AM

R45 are you so overly literal that you think a single 3-second shot of an actor glaring in the distance in 2 entire episodes counts as "screen time"? OJC literally does not speak at all in more than half the episodes, doesn't appear at all in 2/3 of them, and the season is entirely about the gardener and the governess.

by Anonymousreply 46October 12, 2020 12:21 AM

Hopefully next season will have some man on man action between OJC and Michiel Huisman from season 1. I am sick of the lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 47October 12, 2020 2:58 AM

Was okay, but yeah - enough of the lezzie stuff.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2020 3:43 AM

Do the lesbians even like the lez stuff on Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 49October 12, 2020 3:44 AM

R49 I couldn't personally give two shits since they only ever do it with very young delicate looking femmy and often blonde women, which isn't my type, but yes, some of my friends eat that shit up.

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2020 1:58 AM

Its perfectly splendid.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2020 2:15 AM

On episode 4. Already going off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2020 2:40 AM

Episode 5 is the best episode, but that's not saying much. It really loses the plot after that one.

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2020 2:47 AM

The thing I absolutely loved about The Haunting of Hill House was how the ghosts were so mysterious and spooky. Most of them were nameless faces and shapes in the background. No names, no personalities, just enough of a presence in the shadows to freak you out. (Remember how The Blair Witch Project was so effective because the scares were all in your head?)

Bly Manor was ok, but now the ghosts were just like regular people and no longer spooky (other than maybe the first few episodes). “Oh dear, I’m a ghost now, huh. I better not tell anyone. In the meantime I’ll just have a regular conversation with this person over here.”

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2020 3:12 AM

R50 Do you want a butch lesbian instead so you can picture her scissoring you?

by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2020 5:17 AM

R44 the gardener is played by two different actresses. The old gardener who narrates is a different actress than the young gardener who is at Bly and is in a relationship with Dani.

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2020 3:13 PM

R50 yes, of course, everyone knows there are only 2 types of lesbians: butch bulldykes and Victoria Pedretti.

by Anonymousreply 57October 14, 2020 12:26 AM

Pedretti isn't charismatic enough to carry the lead in this

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2020 5:49 PM

For Season 3 I hope Flanagan brings back Martin McCreadie who played the husband in the B&W episode. This time in color and as naked as possible, please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote] The old gardener who narrates is a different actress than the young gardener who is at Bly and is in a relationship with Dani.

I'm well aware R56. Both actresses were in the finale, since we're stating the obvious. The woman who played the younger version had lines in every episode except for 8, and the narrator version had dialog in all 9 episodes and appeared in 2. Peter had dialog in only 4 episodes, and appeared for a single speechless scene in 3 more.

by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2020 6:59 PM

I don't support dyke tv shows. I only watch if it has gay MALE characters. There are dykes on all tv shows these days, but very few gay men. Probably why I don't watch much tv anymore. I'm so sick of the double standard.

by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2020 7:03 PM

The only good thing about this season is OJC's hairy chest.

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2020 7:52 PM

R61 if it makes you feel better this time it's just a male character that they cast a woman for when Netflix didn't let OJ-C and Victoria Pedretti play lovers after playing twins in S1.

by Anonymousreply 63October 19, 2020 12:23 AM

I love the penultimate episode which they explained the origins of hauntings that goes back to 17th century. But why must it be in black and white?

And yeah after this carpet-munching fest lets hope next year we will have a proper gay male characters and plot.

This "Haunting" can be the better version of the trainwreck AHS.

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2020 12:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!