Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What Happens If Trump Dies From Covid

Would people just be voting for Mike Pence?

by Anonymousreply 81October 3, 2020 4:23 AM

Technically they would still be voting for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 1October 2, 2020 3:01 AM

Trump would still be on the ballot, it’s too late to change it, and the RNC would select another candidate. Traditionally, that would be Pence.

If Trump gave Biden COVID and he died, it would be Kamala.

In the meantime, it would be Nancy until the inauguration. A doctor on CNN says they should lock down Nancy now, because we don’t know if Pence has it.

They’re saying that Trump has been tested hours ago, and it’s likely he knows if he’s positive. So they think he has it, or thinks he has it. By now, they did the fifteen minute test, and the longer test takes ninety minutes. Plenty of time to know.

Trump says he and Melania are quarantining themselves, so it’s likely he’s positive. He’s been exposed plenty of times and never quarantined.

by Anonymousreply 2October 2, 2020 3:20 AM

you are voting for a trump/pence ticket. If trump dies and wins the election, mike pence becomes president.

If it is a contested election and trump dies. how can dead trump contest the election? IT will go to the US Supreme court to decide. But, these Corrupt Republican-appointed judges, who have the majority, with probably decide with dead trump, thus pence's favor.

The Republicans are already planning a coup with a corrupt supreme court.

Who decides whether the US Supreme Court is actually corrupt or not, or adhering to the US Constitution, or a Democracy? No one. Who is the CHECK on the US Supreme Court. No one really.

The only way to STOP THIS all is to VOTE for Joe Biden/Kamala Harris. Also important, Democratic Party for all elected positions.

Vote all Republican out of office for this. This is a Fascist coup.

by Anonymousreply 3October 2, 2020 3:28 AM

Celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 4October 2, 2020 3:50 AM

Pray for Trump to live until at least the day AFTER election day.

Seriously, people. PLEASE STOP hoping Trump dies before election day. The WORST possible thing that could happen would be for Trump to die before then. It would be a political DISASTER.

If Trump dies, 99% of the Republicans planning to hold their nose & vote for Biden will vote for Trump/Pence, knowing Pence will get their vote.

Evangelical Democrats will take it as a sign from god that "everything is ok now", stay home, and let Pence win.

Kids who aren't "burning for Biden", and feel no urgency to defeat not-Trump, will do what kids normally do: stay home & not bother to vote.

Trump dying a horrible death from Covid *after* election day would be sweet, delicious irony. But not ONE FUCKING MINUTE BEFORE THE FINAL POLL CLOSES, or Biden will lose, the Republicans will hold the Senate, and will probably pick up Congress in 2022. And they'll probably appoint Ivanka as VP.

Be careful what you wish for. It might come true.

by Anonymousreply 5October 2, 2020 3:55 AM

I say fuck it and pop a bottle of bubbly?

by Anonymousreply 6October 2, 2020 3:56 AM

pence is trying to kill trump. If I were trump. i would call joe biden and say that he will concede the election to biden. This may save your life.

Please circulate this advise in all forums.

by Anonymousreply 7October 2, 2020 4:00 AM

Did it ever occur to you R5 that, if Trump has coronavirus, people will be voting for Trump knowing the likelihood Pence would be the president?

by Anonymousreply 8October 2, 2020 4:06 AM

Oh god, r7. Do trump a solid and take his place by doing the honors on yourself tonight.

by Anonymousreply 9October 2, 2020 4:06 AM

r8, well, then that would make Trump catching Covid bad, too.

Stop and think about the implications of Trump catching a mild case of Covid & surviving unscathed. He'd be on TV in 2 weeks declaring Covid to be a fake pandemic (since HE had a mild case), and governors like Desantis (FL) would declare their states to be immediately 100% re-open for business.

by Anonymousreply 10October 2, 2020 4:11 AM

I don't think he is as healthy as his doctors are claiming R10.

by Anonymousreply 11October 2, 2020 4:13 AM

Pence is worse than trump because Pence is a psychopath. Trump is a malignant narcissist, who does care about what people think about him. They both have empathy disorders (lack empathy(, are beyond fucking stupid and are BATSHIT PSYCHO.

by Anonymousreply 12October 2, 2020 4:13 AM

Bad info already in this thread. If the presidential nominee dies before the election, his or her party selects another nominee. It does not automatically go to the Vice Presidential nominee. I can't imagine what 'tradition' R2 is referencing because no presidential nominee has ever died or withdrawn after being nominated but before election day.

Every state is master of its own elections, so look for 50 different permutations on how all this gets implemented.

by Anonymousreply 13October 2, 2020 4:13 AM

You are partially right R13. The electors don't have to vote for whoever the party nominates, but it is expected.

by Anonymousreply 14October 2, 2020 4:17 AM

OK, read the entire thread and it’s a great idea for his escape to Xanadu, where Jeffrey Epstein will Greer him with a bottle of bubbly and two 16 year olds.

Pence becomes President due to grief voting and the usual depravity that isn’t triggered by grief and likes to cause it.

Yeah. Anything is possible and I totally understand why people are coming up with crazy conspiracies.

I mean, this is an actual conspiracy, and and of itself because this election was stolen from the American people in 2016, because a group of Americans and Russians conspired to steal the election and are attempting to find ways for a repeat on 2020.

Here’s the problem. I don’t think the “Russians” are the real problem here. This isn’t JUST the Russians, folks. This is the Russians and their close friends, and us, right here, in the house where the phone is still ringing and the call is coming from the room down the hall.

by Anonymousreply 15October 2, 2020 4:19 AM

Big grease fire in hell. You might want to stand back.

by Anonymousreply 16October 2, 2020 4:24 AM

[quote]The electors don't have to vote for whoever the party nominates, but it is expected.

And you are wrong, R14. What electors can do again depends on the states. This summer the Supreme Court ruled, unanimously, that the states have the power to pass laws that require electors to vote for the winner of the popular vote. Not all states have done so. Some states have. And the Supreme Court has found that to be within their power.

by Anonymousreply 17October 2, 2020 4:35 AM

Hmmmmm?

by Anonymousreply 18October 2, 2020 5:29 AM

Trump can concede the election to Joe Biden. Throw the republicans under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 19October 2, 2020 5:44 AM

r19, concessions aren't legally-binding.

And there's no way in HELL Trump will concede to anyone, let alone Biden. The closest we'll EVER get to a "concession speech" from Trump will be an angry mic drop & him storming off, swearing like a drunk South African soldier.

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2020 5:52 AM

Yep.... I don't want him gone because that means Pence is next.

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2020 5:58 AM

It's been a difficult 6 months for all us lowly citizens trying to protect themselves from the virus, and this blowhard in the WH with all the resources in the world (except common sense) couldn't even keep himself save from a virus?

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2020 6:00 AM

People already began voting.

by Anonymousreply 23October 2, 2020 6:13 AM

Pence would pick Mike Pompeo as VP and give Kellyanne a big job. We don't want that mess.

by Anonymousreply 24October 2, 2020 6:14 AM

Nancy can keep the House from voting for a VP. It would still have her as next in line for Prez.

by Anonymousreply 25October 2, 2020 6:54 AM

The NBA managed a 3 month season so far by observing the recommended precautions. It's negligent that he has it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 2, 2020 7:00 AM

Nancy is what nearing 80? I mean she'd be ok as president but she should step aside and let a younger person be Speaker now.

by Anonymousreply 27October 2, 2020 10:39 AM

[quote]A doctor on CNN says they should lock down Nancy now, because we don’t know if Pence has it.

I’m sure this is already taking place. Nancy is not an idiot like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 28October 2, 2020 10:47 AM

[quote]Evangelical Democrats

There is no such thing.

by Anonymousreply 29October 2, 2020 10:48 AM

The GOP would get to pick the replacement and I agree, the logical replacement would be Pence, but I can also see them deciding to do something huge and attention-getting like give it to Melania or Pompeo or something crazy.

McConnell might try to weasel his way in there somehow.

by Anonymousreply 30October 2, 2020 10:50 AM

Nobody is going to die! I am sure trump will somehow use this situation to his advantage. I already see another "told ya so" publicity stunt coming.

by Anonymousreply 31October 2, 2020 10:51 AM

Trump dying would cause a problem for the GOP because his base wants him and only him, they don't trust Pence.

But all the Repugs saying they'll vote for Biden will flip in a heartbeat if they're given Pence instead of Trump. So the crazy QAnon base will be lost, but the regular everyday asshole base will be re-mobilized and ready to vote GOP again.

It's a real mess. If he gets a bad case of it he could easily still be sick on Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 32October 2, 2020 10:53 AM

Melania is not eligible to be President. She was born in some God forsaken hell hole in Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 33October 2, 2020 11:15 AM

There would be dancing in the streets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 2, 2020 11:31 AM

Well, as expected, no one on Datalounge know what they're talking about or has taken a civics class

by Anonymousreply 35October 2, 2020 11:49 AM

You've gotten the correct answers, R35: each party has its own policy on how to replace a candidate if they die (or drop out) before the election.

If they die between winning the election and the inauguration, the 20th Amendment states the VP gets inaugurated.

by Anonymousreply 36October 2, 2020 12:12 PM

I know, R33. I didn't say they would do something legal and logical, I said they would do something crazy to get attention. Chaos and owning the libs is their only political platform now.

by Anonymousreply 37October 2, 2020 12:13 PM

people are already voting. This is the election.

by Anonymousreply 38October 2, 2020 12:20 PM

Just heard on radio that Pence and his wife have tested negative.

by Anonymousreply 39October 2, 2020 12:27 PM

They'll want to get tested again R39, he was with Trump on Tuesday. Not hanging around the Trumps much might end up saving his ass, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 40October 2, 2020 12:30 PM

R40, lips and tongue and nose safely covered in yetti pube hair

by Anonymousreply 41October 2, 2020 12:34 PM

The truth is it would be an unprecedented clusterfuck, and even if you hate Trump (which obviously I do) we are better off with him surviving and not having to go down this road.

by Anonymousreply 42October 2, 2020 12:43 PM

R42 So start praying for his health!

by Anonymousreply 43October 2, 2020 12:51 PM

I'll pray for his soul, R43, but not for his recovery. You ask too much.

by Anonymousreply 44October 2, 2020 12:54 PM

It's no surprise that the racist fake german dude also believes in magic and incantations

by Anonymousreply 45October 2, 2020 12:56 PM

I pray they caught Trump's covid early and started injecting bleach right away.

by Anonymousreply 46October 2, 2020 12:58 PM

Trolls roll on and the Supreme Court nominee gets a vote all before November 3. Fasten your seat belts, you all know the rest!!!!

by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2020 1:00 PM

The wiccans that orchestrated a 'mass hexing' of Trump under the Oct. 1 moon for whatever significance that had seem to be a lot better at praying than all the racist radical Christian fundamentalists combined. Isn't that something, GermanGuy? R43

I guess the 33 billion angels Kat Kerr commands that she's used to stop ISIS, hurricanes and elect DJT took the night off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 2, 2020 1:02 PM

Pence could turn up positive later. It would be worth it to know when he saw Trump last.

by Anonymousreply 49October 2, 2020 1:02 PM

I would ask if I can have his stuff, but he's obviously in massive debit, so who would want that?

by Anonymousreply 50October 2, 2020 1:14 PM

Don the Con's latest con.

by Anonymousreply 51October 2, 2020 1:47 PM

R8 that wouldn’t suddenly make voters want to vote for Pence if they weren’t going to before.

by Anonymousreply 52October 2, 2020 1:50 PM

I want to hear what Herman Cain's opinion on this is.

by Anonymousreply 53October 2, 2020 1:51 PM

Nikki Hailey is licking her chops.

by Anonymousreply 54October 2, 2020 1:55 PM

But if Trump and Pence die, who would be the new Republican boss? My God, don't tell me I'd be Jared Kushner.

by Anonymousreply 55October 2, 2020 2:37 PM

If Trump and Pence die, Nancy Pelosi would be President of the United States until January 20, 2021.

by Anonymousreply 56October 2, 2020 2:40 PM

After Nancy Pelosi, the next in line is Chuck Grassley

by Anonymousreply 57October 2, 2020 2:42 PM

First, we party.

Then, we pull out the Constitution and the U.S. Code and figure that out.

by Anonymousreply 58October 2, 2020 2:47 PM

And since Chuck Grassley is a spry 87 years old, who comes after him?

by Anonymousreply 59October 2, 2020 2:50 PM

Grassley is in because he's president pro tempore of the Senate, which is a office filled by an election in the Senate. The longest serving majority party Senator is traditionally elected but he doesn't have to be. The Republicans could choose to ask an 87 year old to step down and elect a younger Senator, say Ben Sasse, who is considered "moderate". If the incoming Democrats regain the Senate they could select whomever they want.

by Anonymousreply 60October 2, 2020 3:31 PM

I swear to God I'll return every red cent I stole from the collection plate in church.

by Anonymousreply 61October 2, 2020 3:42 PM

I wonder if snorting substances makes the linings of our noses more susceptible to viruses.

by Anonymousreply 62October 2, 2020 4:36 PM

This article explains if he's not in the race anymore... for some reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 2, 2020 4:40 PM

Is he dead yet?

by Anonymousreply 64October 2, 2020 5:15 PM

r52, to lifelong Republicans holding their noses & planning to vote for Biden, Trump is a toxic cancer destroying the Republican Party from within. Pence is 'meh, but-at-least-Republican'.

So, yeah, if Trump dies, they'll sigh with relief, then go out & ritualistically vote for Pence.

For anything to fundamentally change within the RP, Trump has to survive until election day, lose an overwhelming & blatant landslide, then get thrashed & humiliated by the legal system after trying every dirty trick in the book... with those tricks documented & publicized in 2021, and tainting the Party's image enough to result in wholesale losses to Democrats in 2022.

If the Democrats can keep the left on a leash & put out an olive branch to "Lincoln Republicans", the Republican Party will see a wholesale exodus of both voters AND candidates, while the remainder becomes increasingly radicalized & crazy. If that happens, the Democratic Party will split as well when AOC & company realize the DP has become a kinder, gentler de-facto GOP.

A split Democratic Party would probably still hold a working majority, flanked by a pair of noisy, uncompromising loony-left and rabidly-right parties that only became politically relevant when something required a 3/5, 2/3, or 3/4 supermajority.

Eventually, the "Democratic Republican" party would visibly (but unofficially) re-fragment into 3-5 loose coalitions with varying degrees of willingness to reach out to the extreme left/right parties to occasionally snipe a victory opposed by the D-R Party's leadership.

Presidential primaries for the D-R would become increasingly polarized by regions. When a tent gets so big you can't see the other side, you're bound to eventually end up with a primary that pits a nimby-green Californian against someone like Marco Rubio, Marco wins, and the formerly-irrelevant Green Democrat pulls a Bernie and suddenly becomes a threat when half the west-coast decides to support them instead. Or, if the D-R party nominates someone "too green", and the rump Republican Party nominates someone like DeSantis while the Democratic Green Party either throws its support to the D-R candidate or nominates someone who wants to ban meat & air conditioning, turning it into a 2-party competitive race.

In any case, nothing in the RP will fundamentally change until it hits rock bottom & tears itself apart. And if it does, it WON'T be "milk and honey" for the Democrats, because a tidal wave of former Republicans WILL drag the DP to the right... and its leaders won't necessarily resist, since power is seductive.

by Anonymousreply 65October 2, 2020 5:45 PM

That's all within the realm of possible R65

I think the biggest flip is that for people under 50, being a Republican is seen as a sign of white trashness, like having a Confederate flag sticker on a pickup truck or wearing large gold chains.

For actual white trash, MAGA is now part of their identity and they know it causes the upper middle classes to look down on them, which is something they relish, it's all part of their angry white man persona.

by Anonymousreply 66October 2, 2020 5:51 PM

The RNC decides who the nominee would be if they don't want to move forward with Trump and then it gets complicated but... experts have weighed in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67October 2, 2020 5:55 PM

"In that case, the House would choose the president from among the top three vote getters in the electoral college. In that process, each state delegation gets one vote."

This was an episode of 'Veep.' Not a great season, but a very topical episode.

by Anonymousreply 68October 2, 2020 5:56 PM

I'd love to meet the illegal alien cater-waiter that intentionally coughed in Shitler's soup!!!!

They're an American Hero!!!

by Anonymousreply 69October 2, 2020 6:01 PM

What would happen? This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70October 2, 2020 6:04 PM

Trump supporters think pence is establishment. Evangelist would vote for him but not all those alt right brainwashed deplorables.

Trump needs to just be sick for next four weeks, hair fall out, cough up a lung kind of sick. Can’t walk up stairs without running out of breath. Public appearances looks like shit but still alive but weak. No rallies, no shitty debates.

Joe gets all the coverage through the rust belt.

My hope is that the SCOTUS gets it- she looks strong as an ox so I don’t want her sick or to die but quarantined so they have to postpone the hearing. Can’t be in that room with her diseased self getting others sick.

by Anonymousreply 71October 2, 2020 6:22 PM

She's already had ti.

by Anonymousreply 72October 2, 2020 6:28 PM

I feel like we're being set up. There is a strategy behind Trump "contracting" Covid. It could be so that he doesn't have another disastrous debate with Biden. Dump's goal during debate One was to disrupt Biden's Talking Points, talk over him, insult him, and attack Biden's son. When the powers at be, said they're going cut off Dump's mic if he does this again, it derails Dump's style of "attack, attack, attack!" It seems like he's flipping the checkerboard and stomping off by saying he has Covid, so he can frustrate the Dems, by not playing the game.

by Anonymousreply 73October 2, 2020 6:37 PM

The stock market would crash.

by Anonymousreply 74October 2, 2020 7:00 PM

"In that case, the House would choose the president from among the top three vote getters in the electoral college. In that process, each state delegation gets one vote."

What a dog fight that would be.

by Anonymousreply 75October 2, 2020 7:05 PM

They bury him, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 76October 2, 2020 7:14 PM

It would be Pence. Democrats fall in love, Republicans fall in line. Lady G and McTurtle might want to run, but it would split the party, so they’d probably go with Pence.

by Anonymousreply 77October 2, 2020 7:44 PM

This is all a distraction from his tax avoidance and fraudulent income revenues! I HOPE HE AND ALL IS KIDS GET AUDITED!!!

by Anonymousreply 78October 3, 2020 2:09 AM

Amy Coney Island might be a super spreader too. 2 Republican Senators ar poz, they may not be able to have a quorum in Senate to have hearings, let alone to vote on her. That Mike Lee was hugging people. Kellyanne was hugging Barr. I mean, this is like some 70s Irwin Allen movie for real, and he'd buy up the rights if he were still around.

by Anonymousreply 79October 3, 2020 3:14 AM

If Judge Amy is a Carrier, she can't be on the SCOTUS with all those octogenarians.

by Anonymousreply 80October 3, 2020 3:39 AM

The way everyone around her is falling, she may not even make it to SCOTUS. Now, was McConnell anywhere around her on Saturday?

by Anonymousreply 81October 3, 2020 4:23 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!