Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cold cut sandwiches

Are they still in?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 27, 2020 5:54 AM

Yaas Kween Yaaas they are!!

CARBS ARE EVIL

by Anonymousreply 1September 26, 2020 6:43 PM

Yes, they are. Who doesn't love a good sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 2September 26, 2020 6:46 PM

Nobody eats bologna sandwiches any more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 26, 2020 6:49 PM

Why do Americans call Bologna sandwiches, "Buhlohnee?"

It's Boh-loh-nya.

by Anonymousreply 4September 26, 2020 6:50 PM

They are now known as “cancer sandwiches”. Processed meats are carcinogenic.

by Anonymousreply 5September 26, 2020 6:52 PM

R5 SCREECHING MARY!!! ALERT ^^^ take your meds hun. The election, COVID, and processed meats, I'll happily take the latter!

by Anonymousreply 6September 26, 2020 6:58 PM

I don't give a fuck if they're "in." Sometimes I don't feel like cooking. Per loaf of good bread, I generally get one pound each of ham, turkey, and either Swiss or provolone cheese. I use honey mustard, but I do not slather. Lasts a few days, fewer now during La Pandemica because I hardly ever eat out.

I might make tuna sandwiches, too, and buy less meat and cheese, with the same loaf of bread. The tuna gets diced celery, mayo, mustard, relish, maybe dill, either Kalamata olives or blueberries.

by Anonymousreply 7September 26, 2020 7:05 PM

Italian dad food.

by Anonymousreply 8September 26, 2020 7:12 PM

Love them.

by Anonymousreply 9September 26, 2020 7:18 PM

As long as its not Subway, yes.

by Anonymousreply 10September 26, 2020 7:29 PM

Since when did cold cuts become exclusively processed meat?

Cold cuts are simply cold slices of cooked meat. Could be roast beef, ham, etc, not necessarily processed like baloney or Spam.

by Anonymousreply 11September 26, 2020 7:50 PM

In common (northeastern?) parlance, r11, the term "cold cuts" refers to deli meat, i.e., roast beef, ham, turkey, and yes, baloney. It's not a reference, however, to meat sliced off a roast your mother made for Sunday dinner.

And it is definitely not Spam. Spam is not deli meat. It comes in a can. It's not even sold cold.

by Anonymousreply 12September 26, 2020 8:12 PM

Yes! Love a good sandwich. But I will admit I have a terrible habit of having my sandwiches with a side of chips. I'm 55 years old and I still can't eat a sandwich without chips.

by Anonymousreply 13September 26, 2020 9:00 PM

Damn you, OP! I was all set to go get a brisket sandwich for dinner in another half hour or so, and now I'll be thinking "but it's not a muffaletta!"

by Anonymousreply 14September 26, 2020 10:52 PM

dumb thread

by Anonymousreply 15September 26, 2020 10:53 PM

R7 - you put blueberries in your tuna?

by Anonymousreply 16September 26, 2020 10:56 PM

R14, now you got me craving a muffaletta.

by Anonymousreply 17September 26, 2020 10:58 PM

The Wise Geek explains cold cuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 26, 2020 11:00 PM

Blueberries in tuna salad are surprisingly great.

by Anonymousreply 19September 26, 2020 11:02 PM

In tuna salad, I used to use finely diced white onion, green bell pepper, celery, and dill relish. (My mom used to add diced hard boiled egg and diced sweet pickles, but I don't care for either.) As variants, I've added finely diced peeled Granny Smith apple, or diced green olives with pimento.

Also Miracle Whip, Catalina or Sriracha, and black pepper.

by Anonymousreply 20September 26, 2020 11:12 PM

PD is Southern? The sweet pickles give it away.

by Anonymousreply 21September 26, 2020 11:15 PM

When did they ever go away? I've always loved them. Fwiw, I just recently discovered that Hellman's has a new roasted red pepper sauce. It's great on turkey sandwiches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 27, 2020 1:52 AM

I am having a pre-drag-strip mortadella, olive spread and red pepper sandwich as I type.

by Anonymousreply 23September 27, 2020 3:21 AM

Yeah, I tend towards prosciutto and jamon when in Europe and when in the US, good quality roast beef and au jus. If any of you live in LA or the San Fernando valley, I recommend tuna melts at Mort's Deli in Tarzana and at Agoura's Famous Deli or Brent's. My friend and his husband recommended it and it is amazing. Pastrami sandwiches at almost all Jewish delis and obviously anything with smoked salmon is good.

by Anonymousreply 24September 27, 2020 3:56 AM

R19 - whatever it takes to make things less "fishy" is good for DL posters.

by Anonymousreply 25September 27, 2020 3:57 AM

I was surprised that Trader Joe's makes a pretty decent light provolone and their Spanish tray with jamon, chorizo and cheese is good on a sandwich if a bit on the pricey side.

by Anonymousreply 26September 27, 2020 3:59 AM

I would never serve fucking cold cuts to my guests! How common!

by Anonymousreply 27September 27, 2020 4:03 AM

A great muffuletta is to die for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 27, 2020 4:13 AM

Yes they are OP - eating them in your King size bed is all the rage with the smart set.

by Anonymousreply 29September 27, 2020 5:07 AM

for the foodies, it is a constructed charcuterie board sampling.

by Anonymousreply 30September 27, 2020 5:20 AM

I had a lovely tuna melt yesterday at my favorite sandwich and salad place.

My favorite sandwich from another superb lunch place is sliced granny smith, melted brie, with spinach and a shmear of apricot jam on rustic bread. It is heavenly.

Their website didn't have a photo, this is a different sandwich, they use the best bread baked in the shop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 27, 2020 5:32 AM

Love a good tuna sub, but can't do the spices or mayo anymore with acid reflux, etc. So I stick to seasoning with dill, marjoram and celery salt, and using Haas organic no-additives pureed avocado spread if available (if not, any ripe avocado-half will do) as a great substitute binder for the mayonnaise. Slice of veggie cheddar or mozzarella cheese on that, too, with some Triscuits on the side.

by Anonymousreply 32September 27, 2020 5:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!