Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any 80s New York gurls here today?

I was. And I'm not nostalgic for that time AT ALL, I'm amazed when some gays are...but I saw this photo online and thought gurl, this really captures it, for me anyway. In a very ordinary way. We're not talking high or extreme fashion here.

What do you think?

you'll need to click on it to see it properly...all the details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2020 3:47 PM

I just made it to NYC at the tail end of the decade. I always felt that Workbench should have been a chain of gay bars. I think I always associated with The Works on the UWS across from the Museum of Natural History. The other thing this picture brings back is the movies. There were so many revival film theaters and ones showing foreign language films throughout the city and wonderfully organized film series and festivals. Of course movies in NYC were more expensive then other places, but were still affordable than most things on a limited income. I think I saw a film at least once a week back then. I wasn’t really watching television at that time, I didn’t even own one. So movies were my outlet. Such great Independent films and foreign language ones at that time.

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2020 3:28 PM

If you say so!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2020 3:40 PM

Me too, R1 - I'd forgotten about that.

I liked the French films in NYC, they'd release very ordinary current French films most weeks and it was a good era for French cinema. When I moved to London I was disappointed they didn't show them here.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2020 3:41 PM

From head to toe, everybody pretty much looked like a triangle (pointed down).

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2020 3:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!