Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did the men of True Blood fail to launch?

I brought up the dark haired vampire from True Blood in another thread and failed to remember either his character’s or the actor’s names. This show had the hottest looking male cast and on top of it many were also very strong actors as well, but where are they today? The blond vampire was ancillary in BLL and I recall a Lady GaGa video, but he didn’t become a breakout star like I though he should, and his cousin or brother who isn’t nearly as attractive seems to be doing so much better. And the werewolf Joe did the corny stripper movies, but last I heard he’s taken up residence on Sophia Vargaro’s couch. And whet of the beauty that was Ryan Katwan or however it’s spelled? Did he give up and go back downunder? I think the gay one died, so at least he has an excuse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 24, 2020 10:59 AM

Alexander Skarsgard has had a fine career since True Blood, and the other leading men have mostly had steady work. I have seen Stephen Moyer and Sam Trammell in other things since--they are both short men more noted for the beauty of their bodies than enormous acting skill, and they've established fine acting careers.

Nelsan Ellis should have had a great long career (given his beauty and most of all his acting talent) but he was haunted by mental illness and extremely low self-esteem.

I don't think Joe Manganiello is a great actor, or even up to the others--he was mostly cast because he's eye candy, and it's hard to make a hugely successful career just based on eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 1September 22, 2020 5:00 PM

It was their busy schedules on True Blood that prevented them from doing work outside the show.

by Anonymousreply 2September 22, 2020 5:02 PM

But Joe had all the makings of a great comic actor. In his stints on How I Met Your Mother it was impossible to take your eyes off of him and he had deft comic timing and skill. I would rather be watching him as some hapless TV dad than Tim Allen or any of those ones on Modern Family.

by Anonymousreply 3September 22, 2020 5:06 PM

None of the women have gone on to that much either. Anna's career should be in a better place than it is now.

by Anonymousreply 4September 22, 2020 5:10 PM

Looking at IMDB, they all work steadily which is better than most actors except for Ellis (which may be by his own choice) and Ryan Kwanten whose last released work was Kill Chain - starring Nicholas Cage.

Shudder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 22, 2020 5:13 PM

Alexander Skarsgard won an Emmy for his work in Big Little Lies and is Randall Flagg in the upcoming The Stand miniseries. I think he’s doing just fine.

by Anonymousreply 6September 22, 2020 5:18 PM

Alexander is having a fine career, but he seemed to have the potential to become a break out star like George Clooney or Bruce Willis once he got beyond the trajectory of TV, but then he didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2020 5:21 PM

Sam Trammell's man boobs and ass were a thing of beauty. He's so hot. Loved seeing him totally naked.

by Anonymousreply 8September 22, 2020 5:27 PM

What happened to the white guys with yellow skin on the cast?

by Anonymousreply 9September 22, 2020 5:28 PM

Sam Trammell's saggy pec implants killed his career.

by Anonymousreply 10September 22, 2020 5:47 PM

OP managed to misspell every name she tried to type.

by Anonymousreply 11September 22, 2020 5:58 PM

why do i think r2 really is him?

by Anonymousreply 12September 22, 2020 6:05 PM

Ryan Kwanten was the hottest thing around. Didn't he have hang-ups about fame or Hollywood or being a sex symbol? Maybe he decided to hop off that train which put him deep into oblivion.

by Anonymousreply 13September 22, 2020 6:12 PM

R5, you do realize that Ellis died three years ago, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 14September 22, 2020 6:31 PM

Give me Warlow. Mmmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 22, 2020 6:35 PM

R4 For someone who needed to fight the Best Supporting Actress Oscar curse she has done exceptional. It helps that she was young, but I think she’s achieved more than most in her post win career. It’s a amazing how it did in AnnE or however she is addressed here.

by Anonymousreply 16September 22, 2020 6:40 PM

Oh, I just remembered the the one hottie who plays the cop on the Roswell reboot was in the last season and took over for some actor who bailed when his character became gay.

by Anonymousreply 17September 22, 2020 6:51 PM

Because there's more to acting than someone looking buff and muscular.

Joe Manganiello cannot act his way out of a paper bag. I guess he prefers being Mr. Sophia Vergara instead?

by Anonymousreply 18September 22, 2020 6:55 PM

Sam Tramell was LITERALLY the American President!

by Anonymousreply 19September 22, 2020 6:55 PM

Chelsea Handler is on record as saying Ryan was one of the worst guests she ever had on her show. Not very funny or playful and took himself way too seriously. People don't like that, especially when you're only known for playing eye candy. This attitude might have hurt any momentum he built up from the show.

by Anonymousreply 20September 22, 2020 6:57 PM

Chelsea Handler shading someone as self-important? Well, I never in all my life.

by Anonymousreply 21September 22, 2020 7:04 PM

Anna Paquin's career is doing fine--she got a lot of acclaim for "Alias Grace." Remember too that she got married during the run and is not raising two children with Stephen Moyer--since they made a lot of money from the show, I am not surprised both of them are slwoing their careers down a bit to focus on family.

The only people whose careers the show really allowed to grow much bigger than previously were Skarsgard and Manganiello, and Manganiello is all eye candy, so the fact that the biggest things he's done since then are the Magic Mike movies is entirely to be expected. I think Ryan Kwanten is the only one I am surprised has not done better: he may have shot himself in the foot by playing a dumb hunk--I am not surprised he is finding himself typecast, even though he played that part perfectly.

Most of the other actors on the show other than the lead beauties (Anna Paquin of course not being a great beauty) are mostly character actors who have been working steadily since they left the show: Anna Camp, Rutina Wesley, Deborah Ann Wohl, Denis O'Hare, Fiona Shaw.

by Anonymousreply 22September 22, 2020 7:40 PM

DOH! No I did not R14. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 23September 22, 2020 7:55 PM

But but..Joe says he lost Superman because he had to do True Blood. ---- as if.

by Anonymousreply 24September 22, 2020 7:58 PM

My problem with Alexander is that he is hot as hell and he runs away from that. He likes "complicated" interesting characters. He doesn't want to be objectified. Fuck him. I want to see him being the hot, sexy freak I know he can be! I know he's a good actor. But shit...

by Anonymousreply 25September 22, 2020 7:59 PM

The problem with Alexander is he is gay but doesn't want to be labeled.

by Anonymousreply 26September 22, 2020 8:05 PM

Nelsan Ellis had self-medicated himself so much with drugs and alcohol that he died from alcohol withdrawal symptoms (just like Amy Winehouse did).

by Anonymousreply 27September 22, 2020 8:10 PM

Kevin Alejandro has been on Lucifer for 5 seasons, with one more to come.

by Anonymousreply 28September 22, 2020 8:12 PM

I thought Skarsgard was married to Jack McBrayer from 30 Rock. The guy who played Kenneth.

by Anonymousreply 29September 22, 2020 8:29 PM

Joe Manganiello is a classically trained actor who graduated from Carnegie Mellon University, which has produced a wide swath of working and admired actors on stage, screen and TV. He wasn’t just some himbo like Ryan Phillipee or Channing Tatum who fell into acting on a whim and had a career. Look at Zachary Quinto and Matt Boomer, both CMU graduates, who had to fight the stigma of being gay in Hollywood. Joe should be doing just as well as them if not better. No one is saying that Matt’s career has been held back because he’s too attractive?

by Anonymousreply 30September 22, 2020 9:26 PM

Stephen Moyer

Godzilla: King of the Monsters -- Fighter Pilot (uncredited)

What and odd credit, or uncredit.

by Anonymousreply 31September 22, 2020 9:42 PM

R25, Like his dad, he is good at playing complicated characters. Honestly, he’ll have a much better career going this route vs being the “traditional leading man”. But, I would love to see him in another sexy/creepy role similar to Eric.

by Anonymousreply 32September 22, 2020 9:47 PM

That scene between Ryan Kwaten (whatever) and Alexander Skarsgard (whatever) where they are about to hook up - I think it was a dream sequence - was so hot.

by Anonymousreply 33September 22, 2020 9:59 PM

R33 It was incredible and a stand out in the series. If I remember correctly Ryan’s character was saved by some blood of Eric’s which makes them connected and causes him to have an erotic dream about him. It reminded me of that Muholland Drive scene with Naomi in the audition with the hot daddy actor.

by Anonymousreply 34September 22, 2020 10:46 PM

[quote] Joe should be doing just as well as them if not better.

Stardom is rarely a matter of who has the best training. It's not a fair system. It has to do with all kinds of things: looks, type, connections, and most of all, ambition and luck.

by Anonymousreply 35September 22, 2020 11:16 PM

R33. Honey yaaasss

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 22, 2020 11:20 PM

Joe is eye candy and married to an extremely wealthy woman. And doesn't he have some booze company or something?

by Anonymousreply 37September 22, 2020 11:59 PM

I always thought Alexander was definitely offered a leading man position in some franchise over the years, but refused to do it. He starred in that Battleship mess with Taylor Kitsch and probably knows this shit can either make you extremely rich and famous or end your career in a heartbeat. He seems to enjoy smaller ensemble movies/series and wants a safe, steady career that lasts the next decades instead of a hit movie/franchise. Which seems odd bc I've followed his career and he seemed to enjoy the shallow Hollywood lifestyle when he was younger (money, flashy cars, a lot of red carpet appearances, dating shallow starlets/It-girls like Kate Bosworth or Alexa Chung). There is apparently a lot of rivalry between the Skarsgard brothers bc Alex left the family when their mother was suffering from cancer and alcoholism and his younger brother Gustaf had to take care of the younger siblings. Gustaf and Bill are also classically trained actors who went to theatre school while Alex took a "shortcut" and was relying more on his good looks when starting his career. Gustaf apparently thinks Alex does not really deserve his success.

by Anonymousreply 38September 23, 2020 10:25 AM

Alexander was one of the front runners for Thor R38.

by Anonymousreply 39September 23, 2020 10:42 AM

Bill is more interesting to look at than Alex. "Handsome" isn't the only criteria that matters.

by Anonymousreply 40September 23, 2020 10:51 AM

I don't really think Alex is a classic beautiful man like Matt Bomer for example. He has an overbite, thin blonde hair with a receding hairline and usually huge bags under his eyes. He's also kinda lean and skinny for his height and when he's not in game shape. He's still very sexy and can look handsome with the right clothes and make-up. He's also not the most talented of the Skarsgard brothers. Still a fine man though.

by Anonymousreply 41September 23, 2020 11:44 AM

Mehcad Brooks and Joe Manganiello were my favourites out of the men on True Blood - still sexy now too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 23, 2020 12:06 PM

r20 Wasn't there also a thing with Ryan being rejected from an Oscar party?

by Anonymousreply 43September 23, 2020 12:24 PM

I liked Anna Paquin's show where she plays that immoral publicist, too bad it was canceled. She also played a lesbian in a sci fi show, I think it was one episode of that Amazon show based on Arthur C Clark novels, I forgot the name. For an out bisexual she should ride the representation wagon and get herself some lesbian or bi role.

by Anonymousreply 44September 23, 2020 12:41 PM

I remember this video going viral on Youtube. Great memories of a time when Youtube was free and not a boring FCC controlled shithole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 23, 2020 12:44 PM

Joe played super-villain Deathstroke in a cameo at the end of one of the recent DC movies, but I think plans for future appearances were scrapped.

He looked pretty ridiculous showing up on a yacht dressed like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 23, 2020 12:46 PM

Mostly everyone from this cast is still working.

by Anonymousreply 47September 23, 2020 12:59 PM

I think it's a shame Joe hasn't had more success. He is talented and attractive. When I look at guys like Vin fucking Diesel and the tons of money he made from the Fast & Furious franchise it pisses me off. Now I find the Rock likeable. But that's another one who is successful, and WTF not Joe? Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 48September 23, 2020 1:11 PM

r48 Probably because Joe has more frau (and gay) appeal, but dude-bros are into Diesel and The Rock.

by Anonymousreply 49September 23, 2020 3:15 PM

Remember when ASkars used to make frequent appearances on PerezHilton? LOL!

by Anonymousreply 50September 23, 2020 3:16 PM

Ryan was so hot and played Jason flawlessly.

by Anonymousreply 51September 23, 2020 3:48 PM

Stephen Moyer always struck me as being a creep. Not sure why. Haven’t seen him in anything recently and haven’t missed him.

Also I never understood why everyone thinks Ryan Kwanten is so hot, he seems so bland and has zero charm. I wasn’t surprised his career went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 52September 23, 2020 3:53 PM

Alexander Skarsgård is playing Randall Flagg in the CBS miniseries of "The Stand" - typecast much?.

by Anonymousreply 53September 23, 2020 4:08 PM

I think the thing with Ryan Kwanten is that he has a great body and a sweet kind of lost look to him. Plus his character was hypersexualized and dabbled with male characters.

by Anonymousreply 54September 23, 2020 4:22 PM

Kwanten was decent in that horror movie Dead Silence, but that's the only other thing I've ever seen him in. I think his blandness might have been his biggest issue. He was attractive and had a great body, but that'll only get you so far.

by Anonymousreply 55September 23, 2020 6:37 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2020 6:58 PM

Arrogant Aussie!

by Anonymousreply 57September 23, 2020 7:00 PM

Joe Manjello is a terrible actor. He has one expression - to look like he needs to take shit all the time when he tries to emote. Big Dick Richie was his best role.

by Anonymousreply 58September 23, 2020 7:11 PM

Years ago, Joe was on some sitcom, as a semi-regular. I cannot remember the name of the series. IIRC, he played the ex-BF of one of the female leads. He wasn't bad at comedy. He played the lovable hunky lunkhead.

by Anonymousreply 59September 23, 2020 7:31 PM

R59 Was it How I Met Your Mother? Which I mentioned earlier that he was so good on? I remember him showing up and needing to find out who he was, he had great comic timing and was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 60September 23, 2020 7:35 PM

Remember when Alex “dated” Ellen Page? Lmao!

by Anonymousreply 61September 23, 2020 7:39 PM

Look at this bitch still looking hot af at 44.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 23, 2020 7:45 PM

More

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 23, 2020 7:47 PM

[quote][R59] Was it How I Met Your Mother? Which I mentioned earlier that he was so good on? I remember him showing up and needing to find out who he was, he had great comic timing and was very funny.

Yes, that was probably the show, but I remember him on something else. There was a short lived sitcom with Brad Garrett and Joelly Fisher, that could have been the other series he made a few appearances on.

He was also on One Tree Hill, he's listed at IMDb as Owen Morello, from 2008-2010. I never watched that series. Can't say how good or bad he was on that.

by Anonymousreply 64September 23, 2020 8:41 PM

[quote] Joe Manganiello cannot act his way out of a paper bag. I guess he prefers being Mr. Sophia Vergara instead?

Maybe Sophia could give him some acting lessons.

by Anonymousreply 65September 23, 2020 10:07 PM

Paquin's career was surprisingly weak right after TB. After TB finished in 2014, her next big projects were a couple Canadian miniseries (and she wasn't even the lead in one of them).

Deborah Ann Woll (the redheaded vampire) had a good run on the Netflix Marvel shows. However, after they were cancelled, she apparently couldn't find a single acting job for almost 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 66September 23, 2020 10:40 PM

[Quote] He was also on One Tree Hill, he's listed at IMDb as Owen Morello, from 2008-2010. I never watched that series. Can't say how good or bad he was on that.

Everyone was bad on OTH.

[Quote] Paquin's career was surprisingly weak right after TB. After TB finished in 2014, her next big projects were a couple Canadian miniseries (and she wasn't even the lead in one of them).

I feel like her last big project was the cameo she did in Scream 4 with Kristen Bell.

[Quote] Mehcad Brooks and Joe Manganiello were my favourites out of the men on True Blood - still sexy now too.

Mechad always looks good. And manages to piss off the racist Supergirl fans.

by Anonymousreply 67September 24, 2020 12:13 AM

Ryan Kwanten is lucky he got that shot, at the perfect age for him.

by Anonymousreply 68September 24, 2020 12:23 AM

What happened to the white guys with yellow skin on the cast?

by Anonymousreply 69September 24, 2020 12:30 AM

Pics? R69

by Anonymousreply 70September 24, 2020 12:45 AM

R34 wasn’t there a scene like that with Sam and Bill early on? Sam had a sex dream about Bill b/c he received some of his blood? Or did I make that up?

Sam was always my favorite. They’d be hot together.

by Anonymousreply 71September 24, 2020 1:54 AM

Yes there was one with Bill and Sam.

Another hot one was Jason and Warlow, when Jason was shaving Warlow.

by Anonymousreply 72September 24, 2020 1:57 AM

Special mention of this hot bitch who deserves 10 oscars

If J-Law can, Anna Camp SHOULD

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 24, 2020 2:25 AM

R73 the best!

by Anonymousreply 74September 24, 2020 6:10 AM

[quote]Another hot one was Jason and Warlow, when Jason was shaving Warlow.

THAT was the sexiest moment of the series for me. But then Rob Kazinsky was very close to my ideal of physical hotness, far more so than the smooth, lanky or wiry guys that most people seem to favor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 24, 2020 6:55 AM

R64. It was "Till Death" which is actually a funny show.

by Anonymousreply 76September 24, 2020 9:52 AM

[quote]Mechad always looks good. And manages to piss off the racist Supergirl fans.

Ruined by his Glanville stank.

by Anonymousreply 77September 24, 2020 9:57 AM

r75 I have to agree. By far the sexiest moment of the show.

by Anonymousreply 78September 24, 2020 10:08 AM

Ryan was at peak hotness in True Blood, but doesn't seem to be aging well facially these days.

by Anonymousreply 79September 24, 2020 10:11 AM

True Blood was always about the women. All the best characters were women.

by Anonymousreply 80September 24, 2020 10:24 AM

Pam was the shit.

by Anonymousreply 81September 24, 2020 10:27 AM

Because people don't go to the movies because of the actors that appear in them with a couple of exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 82September 24, 2020 10:59 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!