Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Verve were better than Blur or Oasis

I know the big BritPop 'war' of the 90s and early 2000s was always pitting Blur fans against Oasis fans, but I'll take The Verve over both of them. And not just for the ubiquitous Bittersweet Symphony. In fact, their last (and final?) album, Forth is brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 4, 2021 5:49 AM

Generic, corporate rock for basic bitches.

by Anonymousreply 1September 20, 2020 5:53 AM

[quote] their last (and final?) album,

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 2September 20, 2020 5:53 AM

Please. I lived through the Nineties. Even straights thought the Verve were a joke.

by Anonymousreply 3September 20, 2020 6:04 AM

The Doves were better than all of them.

by Anonymousreply 4September 20, 2020 6:52 AM

They were not better than either. Oasis is the best out the three and Liam Gallagher has put out some really good solo music within the last few years.

by Anonymousreply 5September 20, 2020 7:01 AM

Pulp were classier than all of those.

by Anonymousreply 6September 20, 2020 7:10 AM

Stereophonics were best.

by Anonymousreply 7September 20, 2020 7:11 AM

Oasis!!!

Perhaps the best thing about

by Anonymousreply 8September 20, 2020 8:22 AM

Perhaps the best thing about Oasis fandom was Oasis fanfiction with LOTS of gay sex and, ummmm, 'brotherly love'.

by Anonymousreply 9September 20, 2020 8:23 AM

They’re very underrated,OP. I agree.

by Anonymousreply 10September 20, 2020 8:27 AM

Pulp were the greatest r6 is right. The Michael Jackson incident just made me love Jarvis Cocker even more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 20, 2020 5:29 PM

The Verve didn't have a hook. The Gallaghers were/are cunts, Jarvis Crocker had the whole louche vibe. Blur had pretty boy Damon Albarn. Richard Ashcroft is just a good singer/songwriter (I think his drug addiction was eclipsed by Pete Doherty). Noel Gallagher respects The Verve so obviously they're great. I think Noel even said he wishes that he had written "History".

by Anonymousreply 12September 20, 2020 9:09 PM

"This Time" by The Verve is on the March 1998 Gap In-Store Playlist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 20, 2020 9:12 PM

Loved The Verve. Interestingly, then lost the rights to all of their music in a lawsuit. They sampled a Rolling Stones song without permission and couldn't afford to fight in court so they threw in the towel and the Rolling Stones manager now owns their entire catalogue.

Here's a short documentary about it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 20, 2020 9:20 PM

The addendum to that story is that last year Mick and Keith relented and will retain the writing credit and pass the royalties to Ashcroft.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 20, 2020 9:27 PM

Liam Gallagher is the greatest frontman ever!

by Anonymousreply 16September 20, 2020 11:09 PM

Agreed with those who loved Pulp. They were so damn good. Plus, The Stone Roses were far and away the best Brit Band of the 90s (even if they started in the 80s).

Oh, Blue kicked Oasis' arse.

by Anonymousreply 17September 20, 2020 11:53 PM

The Verve totally ripped off The Last Time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 21, 2020 12:45 AM

R17 Blue?!?

Blue was a fucking generic boyband, fyi. :-D

by Anonymousreply 19September 21, 2020 5:52 PM

r18 And the Rolling Stones ripped off another artist who is the original composer, so it was weird that The Verve got sued by them. So the Verve sampled an already sampled song.

by Anonymousreply 20September 21, 2020 7:06 PM

Honestly, fuck Muck and Keith R15. I was always a RS fan but their greed and pettiness over this issue soured me on them for life. No doubt they lost younger fans over it too (I'm in my 50s).

Too little too late as far as I can see. Magnanimous my arse.

by Anonymousreply 21September 21, 2020 7:24 PM

I mean, R21, Richard Ashcroft seemed very pleased with the end result, is it really worth holding a grudge over it at this stage?

by Anonymousreply 22September 21, 2020 7:25 PM

Yea, that song about the freshman is sooo good.

by Anonymousreply 23September 21, 2020 7:26 PM

They all thought they were going to be superstars but their egos got in the way. Now no one remembers them.

by Anonymousreply 24September 21, 2020 7:27 PM

The song The Verve supposedly ripped off, was from an orchestrated version of a Rolling Stone song. Isn't this the same as rappers 'sampling' rock songs?

Don't Mick and Keith have enough money?

by Anonymousreply 25September 21, 2020 7:30 PM

Please ring me when the time machine returns from 1998.

by Anonymousreply 26September 21, 2020 7:34 PM

The Verve, Oasis, Portishead and all the other British Invasion artists was the soundtrack of my 20's. It was my transition out of New Wave and into a whole new genre. I credit the public radio morning show Mornings Are Eclectic on NPR. I would listen every morning at work.

by Anonymousreply 27September 21, 2020 7:48 PM

[quote] Blur had pretty boy Damon Albarn.

Do you have a visual impairment?

Alex was pretty, even beautiful. Still is, really. Though of course he’s an enormous tosser with it. Damo was cute, at best, and not necessarily always more so than Gra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 21, 2020 8:15 PM

r27 - I think you're referring to Morning Becomes Eclectic from KCRW in Santa Monica/LA

by Anonymousreply 29September 21, 2020 8:20 PM

Me thinks, Alex James has lost his looks a bit? Karma?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 21, 2020 8:21 PM

R8/R9 well, that’s Mancs for you. No-one else is going to have them gladly.

I hear tell they used to have gravel for breakfast and nick tyres for a living, as urchins living out of bins behind the Virgin Megastore on Market Street.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 21, 2020 8:23 PM

R30 that is a fucking tragedy. Or a travesty. Perhaps both.

Moment of silence for Alex’s looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 21, 2020 8:25 PM

r29 I stand corrected. I can't remember the name of the DJ. It's funny, at that time, I started turning off KROQ because they fell into a programming nosedive, constantly playing the same stuff every other hour. (see: FUCKING ALANIS MORRISETTE!!!). It made me fucking crazy and I was looking for something new, and a coworker turned me on to KCRW.

by Anonymousreply 33September 21, 2020 8:27 PM

R7 dim gwerth rhech dafad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 21, 2020 8:30 PM

R33 - Jason Bentley (who was quite cute) was the longtime host of Morning Becomes Eclectic until recently. He was preceded by Brit Nic Harcourt until 2008. It's now hosted by Anne Litt. And, yeah, it's undoubtedly one of the most influential alternative/indie music shows in the country and has been for decades. In the pre-streaming/on-demand age they were known for 'breaking' a lot of bands in the US. Not sure if they really have the same influence anymore, but they're definitely an institution.

by Anonymousreply 35September 21, 2020 8:34 PM

Dream pop, shoegaze, triphop, darkwave, and trance were all superior jandra.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 21, 2020 8:48 PM

Wasn't Alex James the guy who literally blew about $2million on his coke habit? I remember a documentary about him which aired on BBCAmerica a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 37September 21, 2020 9:03 PM

R37 that is he.

He also used to fight people while plastered (and he was permadrunk and permahigh for about a decade), and worse pressure very young Blur groupies into sucking him off (giving the practise the charming moniker of ‘Blurjobs’). He always would insist on getting chummy with the scummiest of Tory twits & twats in the press, as well as gay-bait though he’s about 85% hetero and closeted.

As for the music, he treated the whole endeavour like one big joke and never bothered to practise or rehearse, let alone write any sincere decent songs. What a real musician could have done with his break and his money...

But of course he’s beyond reproach as he’s a toff, and better yet now a family-man who does respectable worthwhile things like flogging overpriced deli food to Waitrose and writing columns for the Telegraph and going on those deathly boring and humble bragging contest shows like Opera Star. Upper middle-class people defend each other to the death, and he is still a Prince among them despite once graffitiing ‘Modern Life is Rubbish’ on a wall.

Must say I liked him better back when he was a sinner, and I didn’t really like him much then. At least he used to be honest. He was objectively fucking gorgeous as a young man, though. Carved by angels. Maybe that warped his sense of entitlement into something very ugly.

David Walliams absolutely skewered him in a Blur parody sketch on Rock Profile. And the demonic antagonist character Murdoc of Albarn’s band Gorillaz is apparently somewhat based on Alex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 21, 2020 9:42 PM

R38, that was hysterical. Jimmy Fallon looks a bit like Alex, he would probably do a great imitation.

This is one of the times Jimmy has parodied Sting,. here he's with Rachel Dratch as Cheb Mami.

This isn't clear, but it's damn funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 22, 2020 4:27 AM

Alex looks a lot like Jimmy Fallon here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 22, 2020 5:09 AM

Mmmmm. Blur. They were sooooo hot! Young hot, hard, handsome, wasted boys.

by Anonymousreply 41September 22, 2020 5:21 AM

Those Lucas and Walliams "Rock Profiles" were hilarious! And Jamie Theakson was adorable as anything. Gosh, good times!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 22, 2020 5:28 AM

R42 thanks to ROCK PROFILE I still call Jamie Theakston, “Thaxton”, to this day.

The Kylie & Danii sketch is another classic. And the immortal Shirley Bassey/Tom Jones 😂 “she doesn’t have the range”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 22, 2020 8:05 AM

But Oasis was the best.

by Anonymousreply 44September 22, 2020 8:14 AM

Blur could be chav fun (Girls And Boys), experimental artsy Brit Pop (The Universal), and rock (Song 2).

Oasis (Liam & Noel) were rivaling cunts with no stage presence. The fight between the brothers were the most interesting part about them.

Pulp was glam rock. They were fun.

The Verve were just as boring as Oasis.

by Anonymousreply 45September 22, 2020 8:52 AM

Looking back, I believe Supergrass were as good if not better than the other Britpop groups of that era. Their music still sounds fresh, the other bands records sound dated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 22, 2020 10:34 AM

Say what you like, but The Verve’s ‘Love Is Noise’ is sublime, and eerily prescient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 22, 2020 11:03 AM

I just remember Dyke Spice calling them "The Vehv!" on some guest VJ shit back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2020 11:25 AM

Liam Gallagher is basically in love with Rich.

They do have a very odd friendship, with Britpop, Northern roots, and a God complex the only common ground between them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 24, 2020 11:33 PM

More recent RichLiam..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 24, 2020 11:34 PM

My favorite song from Urban Hymns...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 24, 2020 11:36 PM

I can only imagine the spirited debates OP has had regarding Nickleback vs. Coldplay while drinking wine coolers

by Anonymousreply 52September 24, 2020 11:37 PM

Regardless if you like the Verve, Oasis, Blur, etc., there simply is no comparing them to Nickelback or Coldplay....or Maroon 5 for that matter. The latter are just terrible with no redeeming qualities.

by Anonymousreply 53September 24, 2020 11:39 PM

Until this year, I lived a few towns over from where Ashcroft and his family live now.

It’s an obscure rural place where no-one is impressed by celebrities (I also lived a short walk from Richard Hammond, who all the locals hate, but that’s another story), and so I half-expected I’d see him once or twice out and about on walks or in the pub. However, it never happened in the fifteen years we were both in the area. No-one I know back home ever saw him beyond his house, either. Suppose he keeps to himself and his circle, and I can’t say as I blame him given how people are now.

by Anonymousreply 54September 24, 2020 11:49 PM

I was always more into Suede. Brett Anderson had such a bisexual dandy vibe to him that I couldn't help but love him. I've understood he was (is?) deep into heroin which is a real shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 24, 2020 11:51 PM

R55, I love Suede too. I never thought Brett was addicted to drugs, but i could be completely wrong. To me, everything Brett did was manufactured to generate controversy. I was felt Suede was playing at being depressed/drug addicted versus The Smiths (who genuinely are depressed).

by Anonymousreply 56September 24, 2020 11:54 PM

Never understood how a man who carries around a gladiolus stem could be truly depressed.

by Anonymousreply 57September 25, 2020 12:00 AM

I had a crush on Damon Albarn when I was in middle school.

by Anonymousreply 58September 25, 2020 12:01 AM

Blur was the best, plus Damon gave us Gorillaz, so that's my pick.

by Anonymousreply 59September 25, 2020 12:09 AM

The rolling stones ripped off k.d lang

by Anonymousreply 60September 25, 2020 12:22 AM

I fucking hate Oasis. Cunts.

by Anonymousreply 61September 25, 2020 12:22 AM

The verve is still together? Richard ashcroft went solo right? Is he still fucked up on drugs?

by Anonymousreply 62September 25, 2020 12:23 AM

R56:

"The recording of Suede's Head Music was plagued with difficulties such as Anderson's addiction to heroin and crack cocaine which showed in his increasingly unpredictable behaviour and gaunt appearance, which contrasted with his previously healthy and androgynous appearance. He was addicted for two and a half years, but stopped in late 1999, when somebody very close to him became ill. He has been clean since. Speaking of his addiction, Anderson said, "Anyone who has ever tried crack will know exactly why I took it. It's the scariest drug in the world because the hit you get from it is so, so seductive. I wanted to experience that, and I did – repeatedly."

by Anonymousreply 63September 25, 2020 12:34 AM

R63, god, not just heroin but crack!? At least that explains why Head Music sucks in comparison to Coming Up.

by Anonymousreply 64September 25, 2020 12:37 AM

I agree, OP. Urban Hymns was amazing. Noel and Liam have also both spoken very highly of the Verve themselves.

by Anonymousreply 65September 25, 2020 1:24 AM

Aw. I LOVE Head Music, R64.

by Anonymousreply 66September 25, 2020 2:16 AM

R66, I think their debut through Coming Up was their peak. Oh, their album Sci-Fi Lullabies is amazing too (it's never released songs and B-sides).

by Anonymousreply 67September 25, 2020 2:34 AM

R54 + R55: if you like Suede and music memoirs, Anderson's two memoirs (the first ends just after Suede signed their first record deal, which is where the second one picks up) are worth reading.

R55: if we can believe Anderson (and I do), he is completely clean these days.

by Anonymousreply 68September 25, 2020 7:34 AM

r16 Bugger off, Liam!

by Anonymousreply 69September 25, 2020 11:57 AM

I actually thought Liam was hot for a quick second as a 90's teen.

by Anonymousreply 70September 25, 2020 11:58 AM

R70 is Linda La Hughes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 25, 2020 12:08 PM

Fuck you, R61.

by Anonymousreply 72September 25, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote]I also lived a short walk from Richard Hammond, who all the locals hate, but that’s another story

When I think of Richard Hammond I just think of comedian Stewart Lee's take down of "Top Gear". Hilarious.

[quote]I was always more into Suede

I came into Suede by way of Bernard Butler's solo work. I prefer his solo stuff, but can see the appeal of Suede.

by Anonymousreply 73September 26, 2020 8:25 PM

Blur is my choice. I still love them.

by Anonymousreply 74September 26, 2020 8:51 PM

I liked Suede, Mansun, and the Stone Roses the most. Back in the day, I also listened to Placebo, but I outgrew them. I never, ever understood the hype around Blur and Oasis.

by Anonymousreply 75September 26, 2020 9:04 PM

R75 there are people who actually actively listen to Mansun in 2020? That’s like being a ride-or-die fan of Starsailor.

by Anonymousreply 76September 26, 2020 9:43 PM

[quote] Oasis is the best out the three

The most derivative of the three, you mean

by Anonymousreply 77September 26, 2020 9:48 PM

Massive and unapologetic Oasis fan. Could give a fuck less. EXCELLENT live band. Love them.

My favorites are Columbia, Don't Look Back In Anger, and Don't Look Back In Anger...

by Anonymousreply 78September 26, 2020 9:51 PM

Y'all can fight over those groups, but this song was one of THE songs of Britpop for me.

Bernard Butler and David McAlmont, an amazing vocalist. TRANSCENDENT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 26, 2020 9:52 PM

And R78 is fucked in the head!

I meant Colombia, Don't Look Back In Anger, and Morning Glory.

by Anonymousreply 80September 26, 2020 9:53 PM

Didn’t give a fuck about any of them, OP.

Spent the 90s growing up on actual quality British pop. I always have and always will favour the female-fronted acts of the period, such as bôa, theaudience, Curve, Lush, Moloko, and The Sundays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 26, 2020 9:57 PM

Wow, Richard Ashcroft's marriage to Spiritualized's Kate Radley has really lasted: 25 years and counting.

I suppose the only people who pay any attention to Ashcroft at all these days are his contemporaries (40s and up). Younger people are probably barely aware of him, even in Britain, to the point where he can lead a relatively anonymous life.

by Anonymousreply 82September 26, 2020 9:58 PM

This live performance featuring Jarvis and Pulp WAS my sexual awakening back in 1994. I was the only gayling I knew who had a crush on him; he seemed to appeal more to straight girls.

[quote]Wasps. Well, yeah, because they just sting people for no reason at all. If a bee stings you, it's got a reason, because it has a pay with its life, whereas wasps can just sting people for no reason at all, as many times as they want. And there are some people like that as well; in fact some people even enjoy stinging you as many times as they can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 26, 2020 10:02 PM

R81 Yes! Moloko, The Sundays, later Everything But The Girl, Echobelly, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 84September 26, 2020 10:06 PM

R83 I dated a guy who looked exactly like Jarvis, so yes, I get the love for the nerdy louche types.

by Anonymousreply 85September 26, 2020 10:07 PM

I loved Blur back in my teens but cannot really listen to them as an adult. The Gorillaz are better than they ever were. I’ve been listening to Pulp since I was 12 and their music has just become even more enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 86September 26, 2020 10:34 PM

[quote] Spent the 90s growing up on actual quality British pop. I always have and always will favour the female-fronted acts of the period

You don't sound sexist at all. I hope you realize how silly you sound when you proclaim that that bands you listed are somehow musically above Oasis, Suede and others.

I vaguely remember only Time Is Now from Moloko. Guess why? Because most of their music was bland and vapid pop with forgettable melodies. I remember people loving the band around 2000 but it was always a bit of a mystery why. I watched Roisin's live stream Coachella concert and it still remained a mystery why people value her so high. BTW, I'm not saying she's a bad singer, not at all. I've liked all kinds of trash over the years so it's not like I don't understand that people like what they like. But next to people like, let's say, Kate Bush or Annie Lennox there's not much she can offer.

From the female fronted British bands I've liked Client and Ladytron, and Kate Bush is always my hero number one from any solo performers so it's not like I have a problem with female artists. Let's just not kid ourselves that hit songs with great melodies from the likes of Oasis are somehow inferior to Moloko. I mean please. And I say this as a through and through Depeche Mode and electro guy.

by Anonymousreply 87September 26, 2020 10:40 PM

R87 to each his own.

It’s just that I can’t imagine thinking the Gallagher schtick or Damon’s pretension could possibly hold a candle to the soaring breathless tones of Miki Berenyi, or the bone-chilling depth of Toni Halliday, or the sublime searing honesty of Harriet Wheeler...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88September 26, 2020 10:45 PM

Harriet Wheeler is a GODDESS

by Anonymousreply 89September 26, 2020 10:46 PM

Always Blur for me, as well.

And Damon can still get it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 26, 2020 11:05 PM

Oasis reveal secrets behind (What’s The Story) Morning Glory on its 25th anniversary:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91September 28, 2020 5:45 PM

Thanks r91. I miss those guys.

by Anonymousreply 92September 29, 2020 4:30 AM

Last week, I went camping in a pretty large camp. One night, there was a group of drunk millennials singing loudly and playing the guitar around the fire pit. Guess what they were singing? Wonderwall and Don't Look Back In Anger. Millennials. Now that's legacy.

by Anonymousreply 93September 29, 2020 4:35 AM

R93, you realize the oldest millennials are nearly 40, right?

by Anonymousreply 94September 29, 2020 5:44 AM

It cannot be repeated often enough on this board, R94. And then still... Some people here seem to think it's still 2002 or thereabouts.

by Anonymousreply 95September 29, 2020 5:59 AM

[quote] My favorites are Columbia, Don't Look Back In Anger, and Don't Look Back In Anger.

We have really similar taste. For years, I was turned off by Oasis because of Wonderwall. It's as ubiquitous for Britpop as Teen Spirit is for grunge. But I recently listened to both Definitely Maybe and What's the Story all the way through and I have to say both are great albums. Columbia is the best song they ever did. On spotify, their is a deluxe (remastered?) version of Definitely Maybe and a live version of Columbia is on there. I didn't even know it was live, it sounded almost exactly like the studio version. That's the hallmark of a great rock band.

by Anonymousreply 96April 3, 2021 7:37 PM

Oasis were garbage.

by Anonymousreply 97April 3, 2021 7:43 PM

I fucking love Oasis. I will even give you more info against me!

My all time favorites?

1)Tori Amos

2) Father John Misty

3)Kate Bush

4)Oasis

5)Diana Ross

by Anonymousreply 98April 3, 2021 7:47 PM

I fucking love Supergrass.

by Anonymousreply 99April 3, 2021 9:59 PM

Oasis rules.

Don't Look Back In Anger is my life's song.

by Anonymousreply 100April 3, 2021 10:10 PM

R99 Agreed. Verve were pretty good, as were Oasis and Blur. But Supergrass was the best Brit band from the 1990s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101April 4, 2021 2:20 AM

Fucking hate Oasis, worst voice ever! so nasally!

by Anonymousreply 102April 4, 2021 2:27 AM

Oasis are special, I can't explain it, they just are

by Anonymousreply 103April 4, 2021 2:43 AM

R101

Excellent song.

I’ve been listening to a mix of the artists in this thread for the last few hours while I prepared for guests.

Thanks OP!

by Anonymousreply 104April 4, 2021 4:54 AM

Blur gets my vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105April 4, 2021 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!