Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Frau actress Laura Linney

I can't stand her plump Pilgrim face and her mug-cradling acting.

by Anonymousreply 86September 22, 2020 3:08 PM

I'm miss Downton Abbey and her Sunday night introduction:

"I'm Laura Linney and this is Masterpiece Classic."

by Anonymousreply 1September 18, 2020 2:15 AM

I think she gets type-cast OP; it would be interesting seeing her in a comedy or romantic thriller.

by Anonymousreply 2September 18, 2020 2:28 AM

She annoys me and then I like her again. I think we're frenemies.

by Anonymousreply 3September 18, 2020 2:28 AM

That's too bad OP, I think she's talented. I enjoyed her work in TALES OF THE CITY, KINSEY, MYSTIC RIVER and YOU CAN COUNT ON ME. Plus she seems like a nice person.

by Anonymousreply 4September 18, 2020 2:29 AM

I worship her voice.

by Anonymousreply 5September 18, 2020 2:29 AM

She was funny on her Frasier arc.

by Anonymousreply 6September 18, 2020 2:31 AM

I always wondered whether she or Laura Dern would win an Oscar first. Now we have the answer.

by Anonymousreply 7September 18, 2020 2:32 AM

I wouldn't consider her a frau.

by Anonymousreply 8September 18, 2020 2:32 AM

I can see your point OP. But she's just too good to be so easily dismissed. I'm not sure that she's typecast though. I think, unlike Streep, that Linney understands her limitations and pushes against that. She doesn't seek to be ridiculous. She's looking for the heart of a character always. She's very fine, with that annoying little grin of hers.

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2020 2:33 AM

She is a fine actress, and seems like a lovely human being. Her performance in "You Can Count On Me" is one of my very favorites. And really, she is lovely on Tales of the City. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2020 2:38 AM

I adore Laura Linney. I always have.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2020 2:40 AM

[quote] I'm miss Downton Abbey and her Sunday night introduction:

I miss seeing Darlene Shirey and her "I'm so rich I bought you this fucking show" intros!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2020 2:41 AM

R 10 Perfect movie and she is so great in it. So is Mark Ruffalo.

by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2020 2:42 AM

I liked her in Tales of the City--but of course the whole show is iconic. In The Squid and the Whale I wanted to turn her in for child abuse or audience abuse or both.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2020 2:45 AM

OP, you’re just jealous because she gets to have TV sex with Jason Bateman.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2020 6:34 AM

I checked her into a hotel in NYC 8 yrs ago. Very very down to earth. Looked exactly as she does in films. The awkward exchange was that I couldnt check her into the room because some shitty PA booked via EXPEDIA of all things and the rez was under only her fiance name or whatever he is/was. So even though she was the star all I could awkwardly say is that I couldnt check her in ( clueless mgr, 3rd party booking) but we can store her luggage. I felt ridiculous having to turn her away. She was totally cool about it. Smiling the whole time. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 16September 18, 2020 8:57 AM

She was quite good in [italic]Savages[/italic], neurotic, annoying, but endearing in the end. She doesn't seem frauish to me.

by Anonymousreply 17September 18, 2020 11:10 PM

I think she is very good at playing fralish. And I hate that fucking word. But Laura Linney is not that herself. She's quite an amazing actress that you forget about quickly. She's pale and blondish and has no eyelashes. Her voice is perfection. She's a great actress, but overall a bit recessive. There, I've said it.

by Anonymousreply 18September 18, 2020 11:17 PM

She's also excellent in her complex role in [i]Ozark[/i].

by Anonymousreply 19September 19, 2020 12:20 AM

Great in everything, but I especially admired her in Kinsey.

by Anonymousreply 20September 19, 2020 12:39 AM

I wish I could see her onstage. She’s gotten wonderful reviews for her stage work. I think she’s interesting because she mines the harshest and darkest sides to the characters she plays and so whatever redemption in the end seems hard won and miraculous. I’m a gay who didn’t care for Love, Actually but I thought she created a marvelous character there.

by Anonymousreply 21September 19, 2020 1:14 AM

She has a matronly lesbian quality about her that's interesting. Marvelous in YCCOM. Was always shocked Mark Ruffalo didn't get a Supporting nod for it. Beautiful script.

by Anonymousreply 22September 19, 2020 1:19 AM

Linney is a less frigid Jodie Foster. More soulful whereas Jodie was more soulful as a young actor.

by Anonymousreply 23September 19, 2020 2:08 AM

First of all, OP, your aggressively negative stance wounds me. As the LLT, I can't help but take it as a personal attack. My rebuttal:

Even if you dislike LL, you have to admit she's a gifted performer. Linney finds the humanity within really unlikeable characters. I adore her as Wendy Byrd on Ozark, because the character is morally reprehensible, yet I find myself rooting for her at every turn. Linney found that kernel of truth and brought it to the surface, allowing us to see Wendy as sympathetic.

Wish I could have seen The Little Foxes a few years back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24September 19, 2020 2:18 AM

OP, put a damn photo. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 25September 19, 2020 2:34 AM

I saw her play Elizabeth Proctor opposite Liam Neeson's John Proctor, yet I have no memory of whether she was good or not. I assume she was, I enjoyed Neeson, and the whole production.

by Anonymousreply 26September 19, 2020 2:38 AM

She ruined Love Actually.

by Anonymousreply 27September 19, 2020 2:51 AM

She is the real deal. people.

She teaches acting part-time at Juilliard--mostly because she loved studying there and genuinely loves the students. She is incredibly intelligent but really, really down to earth. As the daughter of a respected playwright and a Brown and Juilliard grad she could quite easily pull a Gwynneth 'tude of entitlement, but apparently she never does.

While I've loved a lot of her work (Mary Anne Singleton! You Can Count On Me, and she was the best thing in Nocturnal Animals), I've been disappointed other times (miscast in a bad stage revival of Dangerous Liaisons). She's a mixed bag. Not the most versatile actor.

But people who know and/or work with her IRL adore this woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 19, 2020 3:28 AM

She ruined her role in Love Actually, by ditching her hot co-worker for the annoying, constantly calling brother. Turn the phone off, Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 29September 19, 2020 2:52 PM

I loved her in The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

by Anonymousreply 30September 19, 2020 3:11 PM

She is America’s Olivia Colman. She’s brilliant in everything, especially when she gets to play a character who is losing control, as in the Truman Show and Ozark.

Loved her in Love Actually. She and Emma Thomson injected just enough reality to rescue the whole thing from vomit-inducing schmalz.

by Anonymousreply 31September 19, 2020 3:35 PM

I’ve never really liked her...until Ozark. Her performance made me sit up and take notice.

by Anonymousreply 32September 19, 2020 3:38 PM

She's a good actress, but it was embarrassing how she threw herself at Liam Neeson around the time his wife died.

by Anonymousreply 33September 19, 2020 3:54 PM

She was in a one-woman show on Broadway, can’t remember the name, right before the pandemic. I walked by the theater one night and saw her at the stage door surrounded by fans asking for her autograph - like 15 of them. She was super-gracious and patient with them. And she looked fabulous - radiant even.

I love the part in the Armistead Maupin documentary when she talks about how they were both dumped by their respective partners shortly after Tales of the City came out. Armistead was a grand marshal of the SF Pride parade that year and invited her to accompany him. They were both miserable and depressed but as they went through the parade route, people went wild screaming their names and cheering - so much so that by the end of it they were jubilant and overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness. It was a great story the way she told it (they showed the actual footage of them in the parade).

by Anonymousreply 34September 19, 2020 3:55 PM

R33, she was dickmatized.

by Anonymousreply 35September 19, 2020 4:01 PM

She is great in Ozark and acts circles around Jason Bateman. She is not frau at all in that series.

by Anonymousreply 36September 19, 2020 4:04 PM

We saw her in Little Foxes. She and Cynthia Nixon switched parts throughout the run of the show. We saw LL play the confident Regina. Interesting to see her in that clip playing the mousy Birdie.

by Anonymousreply 37September 19, 2020 4:15 PM

She's not a frau at all. She's a good friend of the gays and a tremendous actress. The dimples tend to make her look like a Disney concoction but she's super hip in person, not an atom of traditionalism in her.

by Anonymousreply 38September 19, 2020 4:21 PM

I found the sequel Tales of the City unwatchable but nostalgic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 19, 2020 4:29 PM

Bitch stole my career!

by Anonymousreply 40September 19, 2020 7:16 PM

Short, sweet anecdote about her kissing scene with Rodrigo Santoro in "Love Actually" (which I still refuse to watch, but might now for this scene)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 19, 2020 7:23 PM

We adore her around here. OP should run away and never come back.

by Anonymousreply 42September 19, 2020 7:31 PM

[quote] She is great in Ozark and acts circles around Jason Bateman.

He is to that as Erin Gray was to [italic]Silver Spoons[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 43September 19, 2020 7:32 PM

I like her! I liked The Savages, which got her a surprise Oscar nomination, hence probably snubbing undeserved Angelina Jolie. Few times the Academy got it right.

She seems like one of those actresses, who will win a Best Supporting Oscar with the right project, because she is too lowkey and independent for a Leading Oscar.

I want to bake her a German cake!

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2020 7:44 PM

Misogynist Op.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2020 7:52 PM

oh wow, she gave birth to her baby boy at age 49, beautiful

by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2020 7:52 PM

I saw both iterations of The Little Foxes, and thought she would have won the Tony in featured instead of Nixon if she'd played Birdie on Opening Night. I know the reviews were more favorable to Nixon (an actress I really admire), but I thought Linney was better both nights because she played the parts in a more unique manner (Nixon particularly was very Bette/Tallulah with Regina, while Linney did subtle for most of it, until the Third Act). Linney also got much more sustained applause from the audience after her monologue in the third act for her Birdie than Nixon did.

Both of them are great and undervalued, though. Linney may give good frau, but she's chillingly disarming on Ozark (acting rings around Bateman, which is probably why she had more to do with McTeer, Pelphrey, and even Garner this season).

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2020 7:57 PM

Should I watch Ozark? It's in Season 4 and I hate to watch so many episodes in order to catch up and everybody says the second season is bad.

by Anonymousreply 48September 19, 2020 7:58 PM

Ozark is a slow burner, but it is well written and beautifully acted, and pulls off a few genuine surprises.

by Anonymousreply 49September 19, 2020 10:28 PM

I think she's a terrific and extremely intelligent actress. I thought she was wonderful in Mystic, CT and I've never seen her phone it in.

by Anonymousreply 50September 19, 2020 11:36 PM

Ozark is not a 10 but it's a solid 8. She's fantastic in it.

by Anonymousreply 51September 20, 2020 3:46 AM

mystery of mysterys::::how this vanilla thing has a career.... i cant watch a thing she in

by Anonymousreply 52September 20, 2020 4:21 AM

I have family and school connections to her. She’s a genuinely nice person and I’d agree with the assessments above. Terrific in some things (YCCOM, some of Ozark, etc.,) and miscast in others (awful Dangerous Liaisons revival, that cancer series on Showtime.) She’s getting more interesting and better as she gets older. She’s a smart actor. She’ll definitely land the big awards some day.

by Anonymousreply 53September 20, 2020 4:22 AM

Her husband is extremely heterosexual

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 20, 2020 5:22 AM

I read an interview with her and she was talking about the time she was in a bad stage production of Hedda Gabler. It only ran a month in 1994 but she wanted to get out early when she realized it was a stinker. She sought the advice of Joanne Woodward who said it was better to stick it out, because that would have hurt her professional reputation, which she did.

by Anonymousreply 55September 20, 2020 5:33 AM

i remember her in that armistad maupin gay series......figured she would fade into vague obscurity. must have very ! good press agent.

by Anonymousreply 56September 20, 2020 6:01 AM

She's an interesting type. She's not a leading lady but she can carry a non commercial film as a lead with her skill. She has a masculine energy but still doesn't seem dykey.

by Anonymousreply 57September 20, 2020 6:12 AM

It’s so funny when someone posts about a celebrity that is admired and people come out of the wood work to disparage them. I guess it’s for attention. They get off on it and I believe some just do it to go against the grain.

by Anonymousreply 58September 20, 2020 6:14 AM

R55 continued. Hedda was played by Kelly McGillis in her Broadway debut and critics were not kind. The New York Times wrote [she] may have a thousand and one expressions at her command but as the title character in the Roundabout Theater Company's unsatisfying revival of "Hedda Gabler," she relies largely on two.

by Anonymousreply 59September 20, 2020 6:20 AM

Laura Linney is a national treasure and not even remotely close to a frau.

Take it back, OP!

by Anonymousreply 60September 20, 2020 7:07 AM

She used to ride the subway often on the UWS and couldn’t have been cooler or more down to earth and friendly. So I love her and she is a great actress who hasn’t had the overhauled plastic surgery as of yet so I respect her.

by Anonymousreply 61September 20, 2020 7:18 AM

Sad how many DLers cannot appreciate Linney's craft. She's not for you. Please continue to appreciate the bland actors that those of us with a discerning palette find unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 62September 20, 2020 7:20 AM

R53 You are disbarred from any family events from now on, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 63September 20, 2020 9:32 AM

I forgot the name of the movie, but I saw her presenting her hairy poosay onscreen once.

by Anonymousreply 64September 20, 2020 9:51 AM

I dare u, find a more boring nothing actress on the Earth, she belongs in a diner on the highway, waitress a go go

by Anonymousreply 65September 20, 2020 10:01 AM

R22 That film launched his Hollywood career, so he didn't do too badly in the end.

by Anonymousreply 66September 20, 2020 10:35 AM

I always liked her, but Ozark really made me appreciate her. She uses every “frauish” perception to her age, looks and social standing to disarm people. And you get really curious how she will react to the most banal occasions, which is a sign of what a great actress she is. The role as written helped her to do this.

Her final, chilling, speach in Mystic River Put me off Clint Eastwood forever. Another good thing.

by Anonymousreply 67September 20, 2020 10:40 AM

I always liked her, but Ozark really made me appreciate her. She uses every “frauish” perception to her age, looks and social standing to disarm people. And you get really curious how she will react to the most banal occasions, which is a sign of what a great actress she is. The role as written helped her to do this.

Her final, chilling, speach in Mystic River Put me off Clint Eastwood forever. Another good thing.

by Anonymousreply 68September 20, 2020 10:40 AM

She's one of my favourite actresses working today, has been since The Truman Show. I am very glad she is finally getting leading roles in interesting productions. Ozark is a revelation (Hi, I'm Wendy with that dimple smile of hers that you really want to believe).

I find her very attractive and love her voice. She's totally the kind of people I would love to be friends with: intelligent, kind, smart, open. In fact, she reminds me of a very close friend from HS.

by Anonymousreply 69September 20, 2020 10:46 AM

I like her better as Regina in Little Foxes.

by Anonymousreply 70September 20, 2020 11:55 AM

She’s the second best thing in Ozark (after Julia Garner).

by Anonymousreply 71September 20, 2020 11:59 AM

She *IS* Mary Ann Singleton.

by Anonymousreply 72September 20, 2020 12:19 PM

The thing that makes Linney so good is that she is surprising in how she approaches a sene. She makes surprising choices. That makes her watchable. And smarter than you OP. But I did find your post funny

by Anonymousreply 73September 20, 2020 12:26 PM

I'd love to watch something with r73. I'm always mystified when people start talking about actors' choices. I know I like Laura Linney, but I don't really know why.

I'm also enjoying reading a DL thread in which posters actually like, even love, someone. How often does that happen?

by Anonymousreply 74September 20, 2020 12:31 PM

Let’s not forget she had that hot scene with Brazilian God Rodrigo Santoro in “Love Actually.”

AND she was able to go beyond that paper-thin script to make you feel for her character, and also make it believable that a hottie like that would be in to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 20, 2020 11:51 PM

R64- was it The Life of David Gale? She had a nude scene in that.

by Anonymousreply 76September 20, 2020 11:56 PM

I'm bummed she lost the Emmy to Zendaya. Hopefully she'll be nominated for Ozark S4.

by Anonymousreply 77September 21, 2020 8:55 PM

R73 That's exactly it, she makes surprising choices. When I watch the video below, that's what I see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 21, 2020 9:07 PM

[quote]I'm bummed she lost the Emmy to Zendaya.

Indeed. Losing was bad enough. But losing to [italic]Zendaya[/italic] ?

by Anonymousreply 79September 21, 2020 9:07 PM

R79 Why? Was she that bad?

I saw Laura Linney being together with her presumably gay husband. She seemed nice, but she always does.

by Anonymousreply 80September 21, 2020 9:10 PM

Zendaya is a goddess. In another time she would be an ever bigger sensation. She's sings, dances, is gorgeous, sweet, kind and a very good actress. She has star power and charisma. Versatile. I wouldn't be surprised if she won an Oscar in the next 5 to 10 years. Don't downgrade her. Laura Linney is dependable and good. Always good. Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 81September 22, 2020 1:26 AM

The Little Foxes. Tremendous work by LL. She should be a much, much bigger star.

by Anonymousreply 82September 22, 2020 1:48 AM

It doesn't look like she brushes her teeth.

I laughed at "plump pilgrim-face". Not gonna lie.

by Anonymousreply 83September 22, 2020 1:54 AM

I don't think she wants to be a "star". And I'm happy that she doesn't. I don't think she sees life or her work in those terms.

by Anonymousreply 84September 22, 2020 8:38 AM

She is so..so..so Canadian looking. Is she? Her dimples are cute.

by Anonymousreply 85September 22, 2020 8:52 AM

WTF is a Zendaya?

by Anonymousreply 86September 22, 2020 3:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!