Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oregon Wildfires

Any Oregonians here?

How are you doing with all these wildfires?

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2020 5:43 AM

No but I just saw photos of today in San Francisco and all lights were on and the sky was orange. There was no appearance of daylight.

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2020 1:16 AM

Sky is bright yellow, like an egg yolk. Air not too healthy.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2020 1:30 AM

Must Miss Novak evacuate again?

by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2020 2:53 AM

It feels as if the entire state is on fire. Major fires in southern Oregon, Willamette Valley from Eugene area to se of Portland and the at the beach. Major level 3 evacuation areas around all of them.

There are two towns in southern Oregon completely gone, two gone in the McKenzie River scenic area east of Eugene and an entire town around a very popular lake outside of Salem. All pretty much a total loss.

The sky is either orange or dark (it started getting dark around 3:30pm today) and the air quality is horrible. The wind has been blowing up to 40-50 mph the last few days preventing them from attacking the fires from the air and creating issues for firefighters being able to fight them on the ground. Also it is picking up embers, blowing them a few miles away and starting new fires.

The entire rural valley I grew up in was given a level 3 evacuation order yesterday. I have multiple family members who had to leave their homes and a few others on the edge of level 2/3 that are packed and ready to go at a moment's notice. Hearing stories of people having to leave their animals behind has been heartbreaking.

I now have first hand experience of the anxiety friends in CA live with every summer.

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2020 3:18 AM

We’re all in this together, r4.

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2020 3:20 AM

R4, wow. Is McKenzie Bridge OK? Partner and I liked to rent a cabin there in that small town and camp at a nearby campground. One of the most gorgeous areas in the northwest that I'd ever been to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2020 3:23 AM

Sadly R6, the towns of Blue River and Vida are pretty much a total loss according to the news. I didn't grow up in the McKenzie area, but spent many hours of my childhood camping, going to the hot springs, playing sports against the school there, etc. It's been heartbreaking seeing the destruction of such a beautiful area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2020 3:28 AM

From Governor Brown: Brown said the communities of Detroit in Marion County; Blue River and Vida in Lane County; and Phoenix and Talent in Jackson County are "substantially destroyed."

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2020 3:32 AM

Friend has a cabin in Detroit that his grandfather built.

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2020 3:34 AM

Nope, I live in the Midwest where we just deny covid when it doesn’t fit our political agenda when we listen to the president’s PUBLIC comments about the virus.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2020 3:45 AM

Wow I lived in Eugene for 15 years. I have been off the internet for several weeks and am just coming back on and seeing this. Wow omg this is so intense. Is this from a gender reveal?

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2020 3:55 AM

R11 yes, reports say the smoke was initially a yellow-green tint. Shocked? I’m not!

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2020 4:04 AM

The sky in Portland was clear today until late afternoon, and then the smoke rolled in. The air had a thick, urine gold tinge all through sunset.

Some friends have been without power since Monday night when the worst of the wind storms came through, with no projected repair time yet. That seems to be an outlier case, though.

Another friend who lives in rural southern Oregon evacuated yesterday, and his entire house and property were destroyed. He was able to return today and sent some pictures out. The only thing left are the husks of dead trees.

It's been pretty surreal. Whole towns have fallen, and we're not even in a place where most of the fires are even remotely contained yet.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2020 5:12 AM

I know a number of people who had to evacuate over the last couple of days. Two weeks ago I drove through Mill City and Detroit and have seen videos of the damage from the fire. My uncle's wheat and cattle ranch in Central Oregon is safe for now, but a change in the wind could put it in harms way. So many stories about people being affected by these fires.

Last week I was thinking out loud when I mentioned to a friend, "What else could happen in 2020?" Well, guess I have my answer.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2020 5:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!