Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What was your one favorite TV show when you were a teen?

Mine was Hart to Hart. For this just barely middle class gayling, it was the height of luxury and sophistication. (I knew Dynasty was camp.) I loved the relationship between Jonathan and Jennifer and I idolized Stefanie Powers.

I was there every Tuesday night at 10. I thought it was interesting that Remington Steele was on at the same time and thought NBC would have scheduled it differently rather than put the two shows in direct competition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2020 1:36 PM

It would have to be "South Park". I didn't watch much TV when I was a teenager but I loved that one.

by Anonymousreply 1September 5, 2020 2:15 PM

You might enjoy this, OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 5, 2020 2:42 PM

Carol Burnette Show. Pre-teen fave was Red Skelton Show.

by Anonymousreply 3September 5, 2020 3:03 PM

I was a teen in the mid to late 90s, so most of everything I liked was on NBC (Must See TV!), MTV or Comedy Central. That said, I was recently thinking of 2 USA shows I fucking loved: Duckman and Weird Science. They were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 4September 5, 2020 3:08 PM

“Miami Vice”. I was at a boarding school in dreary New England, and it was the polar opposite of my whole existence.

We had terrible reception on our 17” common room TV, but we all huddled around and watched it weekly.

Funny, I don’t remember watching any other TV back then. Maybe “The Cosby Show”. We hung out in the smoking area or did homework or walked in the woods. There was absolutely nothing to do, but we had fun.

by Anonymousreply 5September 5, 2020 3:17 PM

Bewitched and Peyton Place......

by Anonymousreply 6September 5, 2020 3:25 PM

I also loved the early seasons of Cheers.

by Anonymousreply 7September 5, 2020 3:55 PM

Bewitched

by Anonymousreply 8September 5, 2020 4:15 PM

I was Moonlighting obsessed. I would record the show on VHS and watch it over and over. Which was really unnecessary considering how often ABC aired reruns because Cybill’s and Bruce’s bickering delayed the shooting schedule!

by Anonymousreply 9September 5, 2020 4:20 PM

The OC and Veronica Mars.

by Anonymousreply 10September 5, 2020 4:25 PM

Bionic Woman, Six Million Dollar Man

by Anonymousreply 11September 5, 2020 4:26 PM

Started rewatching the new released Carol Burnett full episodes. Season 1 is a fascinating study of the show trying to find its niche. Dueling opera divas and old fashioned song and dance routines. Charming but much of it comes across as just too corny. There are a few hilarious sketches from Season 1 that are a glimpse of where the show would be heading. Lyle and Vicky did a little folks song duet in Season 1 to appeal to the teen music tsunami that was building in 1967. Glad I'm watching it but some of it is painful.

by Anonymousreply 12September 5, 2020 4:28 PM

The Real World

by Anonymousreply 13September 5, 2020 4:29 PM

Legmen! It wasn't on long, but boy was John Terlesky hot!

by Anonymousreply 14September 5, 2020 6:37 PM

The Mod Squad

One black, one white, one blonde.

by Anonymousreply 15September 6, 2020 5:22 PM

Nothing comes to mind as a teenager but in middle school I was all about Love Boat and Fantasy Island. I was usually home alone Saturday nights, older siblings had social lives plus jobs and babysitting gigs, and my parents almost always went out to dinner, or banished me to the TV room if they were home.

I’d make a big bowl of popcorn in the electric hot oil popper, and dig in for a two hour schmaltz fest from 9 - 11. Sometimes I would stay up for SNL, especially if my siblings got home. Never manager to stay awake for the whole show until I was in high school.

by Anonymousreply 16September 6, 2020 5:51 PM

Sex And The City. Its best episodes are in the pantheon of screwball comedy.

by Anonymousreply 17September 6, 2020 5:58 PM

Between 1964 and 1967:

Hootenanny. (Chad Mitchell Trio)

Wild, Wild West. (Robert Conrad)

Shindig. (Bobby Sherman)

Hullabaloo.

That Was the Week That Was.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (David McCallum)

Adventures in Paradise. (Gardner McKay)

by Anonymousreply 18September 6, 2020 6:15 PM

Howdy Doody

by Anonymousreply 19September 6, 2020 6:22 PM

Dallas & Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 20September 6, 2020 6:27 PM

OP I LOVE Hart to Hart! We were just barely middle class as well but my mom was really pretty and had Jennifer's hair and my dad was handsome and they loved each other so much. They were the poor version of Jonathan and Jennifer. They live in Palm Springs now and are the Hart to Hart of their condo complex.

by Anonymousreply 21September 6, 2020 6:33 PM

Romper Room. Still is.

by Anonymousreply 22September 6, 2020 6:36 PM

Ugh. My parents LOVED Hart to Hart. Even as a gaylinh I recognized Powers was a shitty actress

by Anonymousreply 23September 6, 2020 6:43 PM

The Facts of Life, Saved By The Bell, Growing Pains, Whose The Boss, The Golden Girls, SNL.

by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2020 6:48 PM

R5. I’m there. Me and my buddies would stick around to watch it on a Friday night before we headed out.

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2020 7:38 PM

Remington Steele.

Also a fan of Magnum PI, V, and then when I got a little older Star Trek TNG.

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2020 7:51 PM

Well, I did not watch any tv as a teen, but I loved A Different World when I was 21.

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2020 7:54 PM

Will & Grace. Watched the last few seasons of the original run when they first aired and caught up with the rest via DVD. I was obsessed.

Nowadays, I can’t stand the show. Tacky, dated and tired. The revival did nothing to help its legacy, either, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2020 8:21 PM

Buffy The Vampire Slayer and The X-Files

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2020 8:24 PM

Wild Wild West

Star Trek

Laugh In

(OP said "one" but since no one seems to be following his orders...)

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2020 8:27 PM

The Golden Girls

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2020 8:52 PM

Degrassi TNG

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2020 8:57 PM

mtv's headbangers ball

the golden girls

late teens, the nanny

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2020 9:00 PM

Xena: Warrior Princess

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2020 9:08 PM

Melrose Place. A lot of people didn't understand the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2020 9:10 PM

Roseanne, The Simpsons, Melrose Place, and a lot of MTV (120 Minutes, The Real World, Daria, etc.)

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2020 9:19 PM

Early teens, definitely Moonlighting and anything on MTV. I also went through a phase of being obsessed with All Creatures Great & Small on PBS.

Late teens, Northern Exposure. I wanted to pick up and flee to Cicely, AK so badly. Huge crushes on Chris in the Morning, Ed Chigliak, and Fleischman. Also late teens was when I started getting heavily into Another World on NBC daytime.

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2020 9:27 PM

Too many to count really , but I have to say Soap . I absolutely would not miss an episode.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2020 9:43 PM

Abbott and Costello.

Monty Python.

More or less had them both memorized.

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2020 9:52 PM

Nip/Tuck. I never missed an episode. For the first few seasons of that show, I really thought Ryan Murphy had something special, but then came the later seasons which proved his main issue was being too ADD to see story arcs to the finish line. It's become even more obvious in stuff like Glee and American Horror Story. He's a concept man with a flair for interesting characters and dialogue, but who can't structure a story to save his life.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2020 10:49 PM

The Man from U. N. C. L. E.

COLUMBO

Wagon Train

Wild, Wild West

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2020 11:06 PM

Mission, Impossible during the Martin Landau and Barbara Bain years. They used such clever subterfuge to get the bad guys. Tom Cruise paid big bucks for rights to the brand to make his movies and totally ruined the mystique. He made generic action/adventure movies that had nothing to do with the premise of the TV series. And he refused to allow Peter Graves to do a cameo. The bastard.

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2020 11:28 PM

The Patty Duke Show.

by Anonymousreply 43September 7, 2020 3:44 PM

The Loretta Young Show

by Anonymousreply 44September 7, 2020 4:30 PM

I had an active social life and participated in a lot of activities so I didn't watch much tv. The thought of sitting around and watching old tv shows from decades ago (which is apparently what occupies much of the time of the average DLer) sounds totally unappealing and would bore me to tears.

by Anonymousreply 45September 7, 2020 4:34 PM

R45 is SO much better than the rest of us. This particular thread was about sharing exactly one TV show from when we were teens. One needn’t have been a couch potato to join in.

by Anonymousreply 46September 7, 2020 4:50 PM

R17 you're out of your mind

by Anonymousreply 47September 7, 2020 5:54 PM

I watched some tv shows in the 80s and 90s but never really think about them in the year 2020 because my life has moved on. So many posters here are living in the past.

by Anonymousreply 48September 7, 2020 5:56 PM

Do R45 and R48 realize why people hate them? I bet they don't. But, we do.

by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2020 9:42 PM

Go watch your Dynasty reruns while you cry into your gin, r49.

by Anonymousreply 50September 7, 2020 10:59 PM

Even if I watched Dynasty on an endless loop for my entire life, I still wouldn't be as boring and dislikeable as you.

by Anonymousreply 51September 8, 2020 2:33 AM

Starsky and Hutch (huge crush on Paul Michael Glaser), Carol Burnett Show, and Kolchak: The Night Stalker. Also reruns of Night Gallery and The Virginian.

by Anonymousreply 52September 8, 2020 2:43 AM

St. Elsewhere

by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2020 2:45 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2020 2:46 AM

I always liked McMillan and Wife: it seemed so sophisticated to my naive, corn-fed self.

by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2020 2:48 AM

That's weird. I linked a photo from that site, but did not link an article.

My post said: "Upstairs, Downstairs" (1971-1975) was my favorite show. I still think it's television's best drama series. (Photo above in R54)

I also loved "Monty Python's Flying Circus" and "The Benny Hill Show" wgich also came from the UK and were subsequently broadcast in America.

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2020 2:50 AM

I was pretty young when Benny Hill was being broadcast on PBS in America. I remember sneaking to watch it because it showed boobs on occasion. Ah, pre-internet days.

by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2020 3:33 AM

[Quote] And he refused to allow Peter Graves to do a cameo. The bastard.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 58September 8, 2020 3:41 AM

When I was a kid growing up in a small Canadian town I was enthralled with the classic and iconic gothic/horror soap opera Dark Shadows. Watched it from the very first episode to the very last one. Can still watch it in reruns today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 8, 2020 3:46 AM

And the music of Dark Shadows was one more element that really made the show work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 8, 2020 3:50 AM

Peyton Place and Upstairs Downstairs.

by Anonymousreply 61September 8, 2020 3:57 AM

I know this does not really count as a "TV Show", but I was glued to MTV when I was a teenager back in the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 62September 8, 2020 3:58 AM

Moonlighting.

Also loved Remmington Steele, Hardcastle & McCormick and Eight is Enough

by Anonymousreply 63September 8, 2020 10:07 AM

Everything from Gunsmoke to Bonanza to The Little Rascals, I Dream of Jeannie, to Flipper and Lassie to movies about Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. Later, I liked Columbo, Streets of San Francisco, Rockford, Cheers, Beauty and The Beast, Cagney and Lacey, even Roseanne and Cosby which of course is now embarrassing to admit.

by Anonymousreply 64September 8, 2020 11:04 AM

Monthly Python was great too!

by Anonymousreply 65September 8, 2020 11:06 AM

R65 You could only watch it once a month? I think it was weekly where I’m from.

by Anonymousreply 66September 8, 2020 1:53 PM

British Comedy: 'Love Thy Neighbour', 'Fawlty Towers' and 'Mind Your Language'

American Comedy: 'A Different World' - Watched it to the end. Became very invested in the characters.

American Drama: 'Wise Guy' - I thought Ken Wahl was the most handsome man ever until 'The Pretender' (came out in my 20s).

by Anonymousreply 67September 8, 2020 2:00 PM

Buffy, Charmed, The OC

by Anonymousreply 68September 8, 2020 2:00 PM

Hawaii 5-0. I was most obsessed with watching Star Trek because if you missed an episode, you had to wait until the summer reruns and hope that it would be shown again. Enjoyed Wild Wild West. Also liked McMillan and Wife for the aspirational aspect (who wouldn’t want to live in SF and have a cool house and a housekeeper?). Name of the Game. Another one I rarely got to see because it was on too late: I Spy. Glamorous foreign locations, also The Saint. Loved The Avengers but it wasn’t regularly scheduled.

by Anonymousreply 69September 8, 2020 2:14 PM

Does everyone know you can stream old episodes of The Doctors soap opera on Roku and Fire stick? I bought the yearly subscription. It’s really great. The episodes go up to 1975 so far.

by Anonymousreply 70September 8, 2020 7:03 PM

Gossip Girl.

by Anonymousreply 71September 8, 2020 7:13 PM

[quote]Does everyone know you can stream old episodes of The Doctors soap opera on Roku and Fire stick? I bought the yearly subscription. It’s really great. The episodes go up to 1975 so far.

Oh Christ just kill yourself.

by Anonymousreply 72September 8, 2020 8:57 PM

How do you quote that r72?

by Anonymousreply 73September 8, 2020 11:39 PM

[ q u o t e ] without the spaces and then copy and paste the comment right after it.

by Anonymousreply 74September 8, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote] How do you quote that [R72]?

by Anonymousreply 75September 8, 2020 11:49 PM

James at 15. I had such a crush on Lance Kerwin. And the theme song brings me back there. I grew up in Boston, so that made it special, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 8, 2020 11:52 PM

Oh I loved James at 15!! Lance Kerwin was so cute.

by Anonymousreply 77September 8, 2020 11:55 PM

R73 And make sure you hit return TWICE before you add your own comment, otherwise the quote function isn't recognized.

btw - This and other DL formatting is covered in the "Help" section under the "Post Formatting" tab.

by Anonymousreply 78September 8, 2020 11:55 PM

I was a teenager before the introduction of that thing they call the Tele Vision.

by Anonymousreply 79September 8, 2020 11:56 PM

The Simpsons, X Files, and Married With Children were the defining shows of my generation. MTV was dying an excruciatingly slow death.

by Anonymousreply 80September 9, 2020 12:06 AM

TGIF was also a big deal among Xennials.

by Anonymousreply 81September 9, 2020 12:11 AM

Benny Hill

by Anonymousreply 82September 9, 2020 3:14 AM

The Wonder Years

by Anonymousreply 83September 9, 2020 3:15 AM

Unsolved Mysteries. Especially all the ghost and alien segments

by Anonymousreply 84September 9, 2020 3:24 AM

"The Dukes of Hazzard," mainly because of John Schneider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 9, 2020 6:23 AM

Partners in Crime!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 9, 2020 1:24 PM

Roman & Martin's Laugh-In

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87September 9, 2020 1:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!