Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

English actor Michael York.

Let's discuss English actor Michael York. With his boyish, fey good looks he has had a varied good career in movies, as well as on TV and appearing on stage. He has been married to the same woman since he was 26 but they have never had any children.

What do you think of Michael York and his film career?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 4, 2020 2:53 AM

Screw Maximilian!

by Anonymousreply 1September 3, 2020 1:35 AM

Michael York in the original Murder On The Orient Express.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 3, 2020 1:37 AM

He's had a very serious health condition for ten years called Amyloidosis. It's terminal if something else doesn't kill him first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 3, 2020 1:39 AM

That old fucker? How fucking old are you, op?!

by Anonymousreply 4September 3, 2020 1:40 AM

The other night I watched the 1977 version of The Island of Dr. Moreau starring Burt Lancaster and Michael York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2020 1:42 AM

Tasteful friends: has he ever presented dong?

Just asking for my aunt.

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2020 1:43 AM

I saw him in a restaurant in Santa Monica in the '90s.

Not as hot as he was, but he still looked good.

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2020 1:44 AM

In his autobiography, he says he tried homosexuality but decided it wasn’t for him.

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2020 1:45 AM

R4 Don't be so shallow and vapid. He's more handsome than you will ever be and has achieved more success and money than you could ever hope to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2020 1:46 AM

He was on “Law and Order”.

by Anonymousreply 10September 3, 2020 1:48 AM

Major spaz

by Anonymousreply 11September 3, 2020 1:48 AM

TOO GAY for me.

by Anonymousreply 12September 3, 2020 1:50 AM

When Liza said, "Fuck Maxamillian!" and he responded, "I did," it was a major turning point in my realizing I was gay.

by Anonymousreply 13September 3, 2020 1:51 AM

R6 I don't know but he has played a bisexual man in a couple of movies including Cabaret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 3, 2020 1:51 AM

The British are more than likely than Americans to decide to not have children. They don’t seem to be as obsessed with breeding like Yankee couples. I respect that.

by Anonymousreply 15September 3, 2020 1:52 AM

Saw him in the Mrs Gooch health food store, Beverly Hills, early 90s. Quite handsome and very friendly.

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2020 1:53 AM

Was he in Logan's Run or was that a different but similar movie?

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2020 1:58 AM

r8, he's lying

Big time closet case. If he wrote that, he probably because he thought one of his ex-bfs might come forward

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2020 1:58 AM

With an hereditary diseases make sense not having kids.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2020 2:01 AM

r17 yes he was logan.

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2020 2:03 AM

R8 With his androgynous good looks he appeals to both women and men. I'm glad that he admitted that he tried homosexuality but with the freedom of show business I suspect that he may lean toward being bisexual.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2020 2:04 AM

Always pinged for me

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2020 2:09 AM

He has serious BDF

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2020 2:11 AM

Basil !

by Anonymousreply 24September 3, 2020 2:18 AM

He also played Carruthers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 3, 2020 2:21 AM

His appearances on Curb Your Enthusiasm are so random. Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen, I get. Michael York?!

by Anonymousreply 26September 3, 2020 2:30 AM

Logan's Run was huge. Still is, for the enthusiasts.

by Anonymousreply 27September 3, 2020 2:34 AM

Logan’s Run was shit

by Anonymousreply 28September 3, 2020 2:41 AM

Mama mia! He looks like a lion's insolent cub.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 3, 2020 2:42 AM

50 years ago...

by Anonymousreply 30September 3, 2020 2:45 AM

R1: "I do."

by Anonymousreply 31September 3, 2020 2:50 AM

I've always liked him. Particularly in "Cabaret", which I watch at least once or twice a month.

by Anonymousreply 32September 3, 2020 2:51 AM

He plays a pansexual scheming twink in Something for Everyone, also starring Angela Lansbury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 3, 2020 2:52 AM

2 cute 2 be str8.

by Anonymousreply 34September 3, 2020 2:56 AM

Michael York was so gorgeous back in the day. His androgynous looks remind me of the German actor Karlheinz Böhm who was the star of the film Peeping Tom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 3, 2020 2:58 AM

Hot hot hot.

by Anonymousreply 36September 3, 2020 3:00 AM

He was gorgeous in Cabaret. Beautiful face and body.

by Anonymousreply 37September 3, 2020 3:07 AM

Cabaret is on Movies! ! thismonth, also on TCM later tonight

by Anonymousreply 38September 3, 2020 3:54 AM

All the guys I dated back in the 80s seemed to have love/hate fixations on him. I like the fact that he's willing to play silly roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 3, 2020 4:05 AM

Yes, R33, he was at his peak in Something for Everyone. Check out from 14:00. He has a long French kiss with the same actor near the film's end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 3, 2020 4:20 AM

Science Fiction movie Logan's Run was the first Michael York movie that I ever saw. It was a big hit at the box office and spawned a short lived TV show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 3, 2020 5:22 AM

He and Faye were delicious together in The Four Musketeers: Milady's Revenge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 3, 2020 5:24 AM

R41 Farrah Fawcett had a small part in Logan's Run just as she was becoming famous and she overshadowed the female lead in the film and brought more publicity to the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 3, 2020 5:28 AM

Michael York was born on March 27, 1942 which makes him 78 years of age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44September 3, 2020 5:34 AM

He was in Knots Landing!

Knots Landing!!

by Anonymousreply 45September 3, 2020 5:37 AM

He was in Knots Landing!

Knots Landing!!

by Anonymousreply 46September 3, 2020 5:37 AM

Ravishingly handsome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47September 3, 2020 5:39 AM

Then and now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 3, 2020 5:42 AM

[quote]When Liza said, "Fuck Maxamillian!" and he responded, "I did," it was a major turning point in my realizing I was gay.

Actually, HE said "Fuck Maximilian!" and SHE said "I do."

And then he added, "So do I..."

by Anonymousreply 49September 3, 2020 5:45 AM

I saw him in CAMELOT on stage in 2007. He was wonderful and looked great. It's upsetting he's battling a rare disease, Amyloidosis. It's fatal so he may not have much time left.. He's been sick since 2013 and it's a miracle he's still alive, poor guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 3, 2020 6:05 AM

A great looking actor who was good, in part, because he was clearly free of any vanity about his looks and didn’t take himself too seriously. Rare in the past, almost unheard of now. It meant he could do drama and comedy equally as well. Witness Cabaret and The Three Musketeers.

His grace and bravery now are admirable and the mark of a real gentleman. Again, not many of them about these days.

by Anonymousreply 51September 3, 2020 6:26 AM

I wondered why he did not work much.

by Anonymousreply 52September 3, 2020 6:29 AM

When I lived in NYC in the 80s, it was quite accepted that he was gay. I saw him one night at the Metropolitan Opera. He was sitting near me and he looked very handsome. Besides Cabaret, I loved him in the Three Musketeers.

by Anonymousreply 53September 3, 2020 6:30 AM

Great actor. He was robbed of an Oscar nomination for Cabaret!

Something For Everyone is a must see. So much fun.

by Anonymousreply 54September 3, 2020 6:35 AM

He was pretty cute in the 70s and usually had a likable screen persona, but he made way too much dreck.

by Anonymousreply 55September 3, 2020 6:55 AM

He's done several spots on The Simpsons the last few years. His illness has robbed him of his looks (it can attack your lymphatic system and distort your face) so voice work is still possible. Love him!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 3, 2020 6:56 AM

[quote] In his autobiography, he says he tried homosexuality but decided it wasn’t for him.

Once upon a time that's what you said to cover your tracks in case one of your tricks comes forward and sells his story to the press.

by Anonymousreply 57September 3, 2020 7:08 AM

He was very good (and creepy) in that Law&Order: Criminal Intent episode.

I remember a long ago late night TV appearance, perhaps on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson, after York had (I think) written a book.

The host remarked that the book didn't contain any negative juicy gossip.

York paused and replied that the world had enough negativity around and he felt no need to add to it.

He wasn't snotty or condescending, just being honest.

That remark made me like him a lot. And everything I've seen him in as well, starting with his Lucentio in Franco Zeffirelli's "The Taming of the Shrew" with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in 1967.

by Anonymousreply 58September 3, 2020 7:14 AM

One of the family.

by Anonymousreply 59September 3, 2020 7:20 AM

R15

Correction; make that dead common British; royalty and peers (especially eldest sons) are still expected to marry and breed children in hopes of getting an heir.

As for rest of it; given the not so small numbers of married or single; straight, gay or lesbian that trek to Ukraine, US or anywhere else legally possible to have infants via surrogacy would say desire to breed is rather strong in UK.

by Anonymousreply 60September 3, 2020 7:35 AM

I started the thread on him last year.

Actually he still looked quite good up until 2009.

by Anonymousreply 61September 3, 2020 9:18 AM

I always confuse him with Richard Chamberlain (from another continent, and not married to a woman for 52 years.)

by Anonymousreply 62September 3, 2020 10:05 AM

Every time I see a photo of him I am surprised all over again that he's not quite handsome. He's so appealing and sexy in his old movies that I always think of him as better-looking than he really was. I guess he had "it."

by Anonymousreply 63September 3, 2020 10:35 AM

R63 He also had/has that incredibly sexy voice.

by Anonymousreply 64September 3, 2020 11:00 AM

The same kind of sexually ambiguous, up-for-anything aura that Terence Stamp exuded. No real contemporary equivalent, no.

by Anonymousreply 65September 3, 2020 11:01 AM

I liked him in those 2 Three Musketeers films that came out in the '70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 3, 2020 12:59 PM

Never though he was remotely good looking or sexy. The voice is the only reason he got a job.

by Anonymousreply 67September 3, 2020 1:02 PM

He wasn't classically handsome, but the camera found him interesting from every angle. He's also a talented actor, and the voice was to die for. It's not surprising he was as successful as he was for as long as he was.

When Fosse was casting Cabaret, he asked the casting director to find him a "Michael York type" to play Brian. York heard about this and called Fosse, asking "Will the real Michael York do?"

by Anonymousreply 68September 3, 2020 1:54 PM

[quote]Actually, HE said "Fuck Maximilian!" and SHE said "I do."

ACTUALLY, as R1 pointed out, he said "SCREW Maximillian," not "fuck."

by Anonymousreply 69September 3, 2020 2:26 PM

R68 Fascinating. Raquel Welch did something similar. When the producers of Myra Breckinridge were casting for a beautiful, sexy woman to play the female lead, she thought that it sounded just like her so she phoned up the big shots and asked them if she could have the role - and they gave it to her.

by Anonymousreply 70September 3, 2020 3:11 PM

In his movie debut "The Taming Of The Shrew."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 3, 2020 3:16 PM

Yes, he was great on the L&O CI episode. Outperforming DiFornio and overshadowing Olivia Jane d'Abo was no small feat. But the writing was pretty good too.

He is a treasure, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 72September 3, 2020 3:33 PM

personally i am and was more of a simon maccorkindale fan! during his blond hair and fit body prime... like in "manimal" tv show and his tv movies wearing speedos..

by Anonymousreply 73September 3, 2020 3:43 PM

"His grace and bravery now are admirable and the mark of a real gentleman. Again, not many of them about these days."

Yeah, everyone was so much better back in the Jim Crow era

by Anonymousreply 74September 3, 2020 4:28 PM

R60, thank you for your OPINION.

by Anonymousreply 75September 3, 2020 5:06 PM

That's right, folks! It's official! Calling Michael York graceful and brave under the onslaught of his illness is now RACIST!

Thanks, R74, for stepping in to remind us of all the little microaggressions we commit every second of every day! I, for one, will never say another good word about someone suffering from amyloidosis!

by Anonymousreply 76September 3, 2020 5:10 PM

Is his voice still the same? At least as of 2007? His voice had an amazing resonance.

by Anonymousreply 77September 3, 2020 5:14 PM

Logan's Run is a great movie! And campy too in its old age. Occasionally I glance at my palms to see if I should make a run for it or go to Carousel and spin off the planet 🌏

by Anonymousreply 78September 3, 2020 5:17 PM

R76, I'm noticing some very strange trollish remarks on various threads this morning. They're not entirely related to the thread topic but spout some weird opinion. Like on the Pelosi hairdo thread, someone jumps in and makes generic, ill-informed pro-Trump remarks like someone who's being paid by the post but whose work at the troll farm isn't being reviewed. This could be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 79September 3, 2020 5:22 PM

r79, yes, Jim Crow. DL wants to believe everything was better in the past which is weird because no one has benefited from social progress more than gays. Conservatives are backwards-looking people.

by Anonymousreply 80September 3, 2020 5:27 PM

He was never quite handsome, but my god was be gorgeous when he was young. Just stunning, such beautiful eyes! I remember watching the 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet in high school, but thinking Tybalt was so much cuter than Romeo. Been a fan ever since, and sincerely hope he is doing well despite his illness.

by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2020 5:29 PM

Nary a nomination! How does that happen?

by Anonymousreply 82September 3, 2020 5:40 PM

I always get him mixed up with Susannah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 3, 2020 5:46 PM

Together in "Conduct Unbecoming" (1975). He looks good in uniform.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84September 3, 2020 5:49 PM

The movie Withnail and I is about an ill-starred druggy weekend he spent with a friend in some cottage in England. York isn't in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 3, 2020 5:49 PM

R74 - I was talking about his handling of a horribly debilitating disease, which he has done with grace and bravery undeniably. But, you know, staple a non-sequitur in there in some fatuous attempt to garner woke points by derailing a thread pointlessly.

Why not step away from the keyboard, take a deep breath and begin to develop an intellect.

by Anonymousreply 86September 3, 2020 6:09 PM

I thought he was HAF as D'Artagnan in The Three Musketeers. He had such a boyish, naive charm.

by Anonymousreply 87September 3, 2020 6:17 PM

"I was talking about his handling of a horribly debilitating disease, which he has done with grace and bravery undeniably."

While implying no one today has these traits.

Btw, using "woke" as an insult exposes you for the Trumpster that you are.

Why don't you step away from the keyboard and develop an intellect. Maybe read some books, but as a Republican reading might be hard for you.

by Anonymousreply 88September 3, 2020 6:19 PM

I'm a Democrat voting for Biden, R88, but I've gotta say that you come across as overreaching and cranky. I think that everyone agrees that grace and bravery have always been in short supply and that it's nice to see both qualities in York.

by Anonymousreply 89September 3, 2020 6:27 PM

r89, I have to say you come across as pretty cranky.

by Anonymousreply 90September 3, 2020 6:30 PM

Guilty as charged, R90; I'm a cranky bastard.

by Anonymousreply 91September 3, 2020 6:33 PM

^ Unless you have something to say about MY shut the fuck up, both of you.

by Anonymousreply 92September 3, 2020 6:36 PM

He also invented peppermint patties.

by Anonymousreply 93September 3, 2020 6:40 PM

R92, all of my posts were about MY until someone called me out about being cranky.

by Anonymousreply 94September 3, 2020 6:46 PM

[quote] no one has benefited from social progress more than WHITE gays.

FIXED.

by Anonymousreply 95September 3, 2020 6:47 PM

Some pinheads here.

by Anonymousreply 96September 3, 2020 7:08 PM

JFC, I regret taking the troll bait that's descended to Fox News level.

Back to Michael York.

MY Top Five:

Cabaret

Something for Everyone

England Made Me

Conduct Unbecoming

Accident

by Anonymousreply 97September 3, 2020 7:16 PM

O/T, but that great, truly creepy episode of L&O:C.I. that he starred in - 'Slither' - also featured a young Michael Stuhlbarg .

(And, a minor actor I went to high school with - John Bolger. As long as I'm mentioning costars.)

by Anonymousreply 98September 3, 2020 7:35 PM

I love LOGAN'S RUN despite it's half baked nature. He's excellent in it and what a great face and voice.. He can make the most absurd dialogue seem believable, sign of a talented actor. And sexy as hell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 3, 2020 7:37 PM

His smile was unforgettable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100September 3, 2020 7:56 PM

Fosse was a genius.

by Anonymousreply 101September 3, 2020 8:00 PM

He looked very fey in Murder On The Orient Express, like his hair had been given a wavy permanent. But still looked okay. Although he looks much better without a moustache - they don't suit him. By the way the original Murder On The Orient Express was such a gorgeous production. Love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102September 4, 2020 2:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!