Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dorothy Kilgallen

Anyone old enough to remember her from What's My Line? I remember her from the show. She was good at figuring out who the contestants were. After appearing on the show below she went out for a drink at the Regency in Manhattan and was found dead the next morning by her hairdresser. She had an interesting life. She married a bisexual man and had a baby during an affair with bisexual singer Johnnie Ray. In a book about her, it's claimed she was murdered because she was about to go public with news that would bust the JFK assassination wide open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2020 12:14 PM

[quote] Anyone old enough to remember her from What's My Line?

This is DL. Of course there are posters old enough to remember her from What’s My Line. She’s practically a fixture here.

by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2020 12:42 AM

OP: Google "datalounge dorothy kilgallen" and you will find dozens (plural) of DL Dorothy Kilgallen threads. Everything you could possibly want to know is contained therein.

by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2020 12:45 AM

If I recall correctly, her fellow panelists didn't like her much.

I do believe she was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2020 12:46 AM

But r2, then OP would run the risk of being scolded for buming an old thread, especially if it was from 2015.

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2020 12:48 AM

Ah...Tks R2. Just googled. First thing that came up was a thread about the book I just finished. Good posts there.

by Anonymousreply 5September 2, 2020 12:50 AM

She was killed because her lack of a chin was too horrifying to be aesthetically acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 6September 2, 2020 12:50 AM

lTony Randall commenting on the first guest's "robust physique." 🤔

by Anonymousreply 7September 2, 2020 12:51 AM

Oh my, I remember the murder conspiracy"

by Anonymousreply 8September 2, 2020 12:55 AM

I read the book and would love to read Lee Israel’s biography on Dorothy as well. She is my favorite panelist on What’s My Cunt?

by Anonymousreply 9September 2, 2020 12:56 AM

I’ve seen the clips on YouTube...she seemed like an interesting and smart person

by Anonymousreply 10September 2, 2020 12:57 AM

She was something of a right-wing witch.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote]This is DL. Of course there are posters old enough to remember her from What’s My Line

I loved those kids that made up the panels.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2020 1:00 AM

The guy she was with before she was killed was Ron Pataky who was a goodlooking theater editor at a Cleveland newspaper who was friendly with mob figures. He was romancing her in NYC and she spilled the news about her JFK info to him right before she was killed. He was the snitch, if not the killer. Was she a dyke? She stayed with her husband after she caught him in bed with another man, but moved out of the bedroom she shared. After she died the husband disowned the son she had with Ray, another queen. Dot and the Snitch below...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2020 1:04 AM

Weren't chin implants around in the 60s? A girl I knew he one put in when she had a nose job. Striking difference.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2020 1:05 AM

At the final show at Cal Neva Lodge, Frank Sintra announced to the audience, "If you see Dorothy Kilgallen in a car, run her over." MEOW!!

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2020 1:10 AM

[quote] buming

by Anonymousreply 16September 2, 2020 1:11 AM

She had a huge affair with Johnny Ray the singer. People say he was Bi and an alcoholic, and he was abusive to her, but she loooovvved him.

by Anonymousreply 17September 2, 2020 1:13 AM

I had a book on old TV shows and the What's My Line? section referred to "pert Arlene Francis" and "quince-faced Dorothy Kilgallen".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 2, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote] A girl I knew he one put in when she had a nose job.

Come again? In English, this time.

by Anonymousreply 19September 2, 2020 1:26 AM

Just put the word "had" in place of "he" and it will all make sense darling.

by Anonymousreply 20September 2, 2020 1:28 AM

Oh. I thought it was "A girl he knew got screwed by her plastic surgeon after he gave her a nose job. "

Thanks for clearing that up R20.

by Anonymousreply 21September 2, 2020 1:31 AM

Fuck off with your passive-aggressive "darling" bullshit, r20.

You were the one who was incoherent because of your sloppy typing.

by Anonymousreply 22September 2, 2020 1:36 AM

R18, LOL I know how that is. I recall this cruel (but apt) description: “buttock-faced Child of the Corn Cameron Bright”

And of course, the legendary “short-fingered vulgarian”.

by Anonymousreply 23September 2, 2020 1:37 AM

R3, she was disliked in part because, unlike her liberal co-panelists, she was a right-winger. And she was not killed, she died of an overdose. A hack sports talk show host in my town had heard the Kennedy connection to her death, but got it a bit confused & said JFK had her killed. A mean feat as he had been dead almost two years at the time of her death. But this theory is just as implausible as the belief she was killed for knowing too much. As if.

by Anonymousreply 24September 2, 2020 1:40 AM

Unclench R22 !!

by Anonymousreply 25September 2, 2020 2:03 AM

Arlene seemed like much more fun...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 2, 2020 2:13 AM

Poor Arlene. Some nasty mugger snatched that diamond heart off her neck when she was in her 90s!

by Anonymousreply 27September 2, 2020 2:15 AM

She was younger than that when that happened.

by Anonymousreply 28September 2, 2020 2:24 AM

That clip at r26 is hilarious! Did it go out live?

by Anonymousreply 29September 2, 2020 2:32 AM

America’s favorite publisher, Random House’s Bennett Cerf, did not hold back in his critique of Ms Dorothy. One thing he and Dahl disliked was how their idle chatter in the green room would end up as an item in DG’s column the next day.

by Anonymousreply 30September 2, 2020 2:56 AM

Do you mean Arlene Francis and Cerf. or Arlene Dahl? (R30)

by Anonymousreply 31September 2, 2020 3:43 AM

I'm sure r30 meant Francis; but he should have checked what he had typed.

by Anonymousreply 32September 2, 2020 4:00 AM

"What's My Line" panel after her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33September 2, 2020 11:41 AM

Mysterious death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 2, 2020 11:45 AM

[quote] She had a huge affair with Johnny Ray the singer. People say he was Bi and an alcoholic, and he was abusive to her, but she loooovvved him.

Johnnie Ray was rumored to have a huge cock.

He was arrested in 1951 and again in 1959 for solicitation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 2, 2020 12:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!