Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why Didn't Aaron Eckhart Become A Bigger Star?

(or as other DLers might say, "Why did his career go straight down the shitter?")

Handsome, sexy, blond, all-American. Born a Mormon (no longer active). Six feet tall. Confirmed heterosexual.

Nicole Kidman hand-picked him to play her husband in RABBIT HOLE. (He's very good, more than holds his own against her.) But despite co-starring in THE DARK KNIGHT and some other big deal projects, he's never really become a star. And he's 52 now...

He still makes movies and TV, but it's mostly projects I've never heard of.

What happened?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2020 6:41 AM

He's actually a pretty good actor and always puts in a solid performance.

I assume in those situations, he must be difficult on set.

by Anonymousreply 1September 1, 2020 12:27 AM

Not quite enough presence and charisma.

by Anonymousreply 2September 1, 2020 12:27 AM

Too soft

by Anonymousreply 3September 1, 2020 12:27 AM

He is allegedly “difficult.”

by Anonymousreply 4September 1, 2020 12:27 AM

He's a very generic actor. His range is very limited. He usually plays what could be called "Handsome Blonde Guy." And I've heard he is not very likable, so that may had hindered his career, too. I think he's done pretty well, though. He's worked steadily, even though he never became a major star.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2020 12:30 AM

[on working with Nicole Kidman on Rabbit Hole (2010)]: "She was irritated with me and I was irritated with her. But that's the way movie-making is. For one day, are we not allowed? For half a day even? It's so surprising to me when people are surprised that movie making is sometimes tense and uncomfortable because inherently it's going to be.

You're around tens of people or hundreds of people working on things that are imaginary and that come from the soul. You could be dealing with subject matter like prostitution, death, drugs, blah, blah, blah. How could you expect that not to be uncomfortable?"

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2020 12:30 AM

JCM should chime in. I think he’s a bit of a diva.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2020 12:31 AM

I get him confused with Thomas Jane

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2020 12:32 AM

Admits he's difficult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2020 12:32 AM

i think he had a drinking problem....

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2020 12:39 AM

Republican? Might be. (To be fair, his comments are from January, before the BLM protests.)

“As I get older, I feel a responsibility to make films that the whole family can see together; that have a moral centre. That’s what I like about this movie – he’s a cop who’s been through some bad times and needs to redeem himself. He gave his own life for the life of another. And I don’t think there’s a higher calling.”

The police have had a lot of bad press recently – were you aware of them when filming?

“Oh yeah. That’s really the whole theme of the film. Today, you’re more likely to have a videographer than a good samaritan. Everybody’s so concerned about filming the police that they forget that they can help them, get out of their way and let them do their job. Obviously, there are different angles on that. But in general, the police find it very difficult to do their job with a camera in their face because it’s going to go on YouTube, it’s going to go viral – and you’re going to have millions of people see it, like their family and friends.”

by Anonymousreply 11September 1, 2020 12:39 AM

(2011 quote, on quitting drinking) I couldn't be happier with that decision. I recommend it to anybody. I did not go to AA...I haven't had a drink for seven or eight years. I've changed my lifestyle. I don't go out. That's not just because of drinking, it's because of getting older. I've outgrown it, plus all my friends are married and have kids. I'm very interested in my health and I want to live the rest of my life very healthily. I feel 100 per cent in command of myself, so, when I get up, I never have to ask, 'where have I been? What have I said?'

Good for him. Has he stayed.... not drinking?

by Anonymousreply 12September 1, 2020 12:40 AM

Because he has no leading man charisma.

by Anonymousreply 13September 1, 2020 12:41 AM

He’s hot, but has a very generic look. I agree with R8 that he looks a lot like Thomas Jane.

by Anonymousreply 14September 1, 2020 12:44 AM

Hmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 1, 2020 12:46 AM

He's Mormon.

by Anonymousreply 16September 1, 2020 12:46 AM

No feets pic ?

by Anonymousreply 17September 1, 2020 12:47 AM

Don't make me choose!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 1, 2020 12:47 AM

I'll never understand why his character in In the Company of Men isn't considered one of the great movie villains.

REALLY OLD SPOILER It took me multiple viewings before I realized that the other man (played by Matt Malloy) was the target of his anger, rather than the woman. She was only a pawn.

by Anonymousreply 19September 1, 2020 12:47 AM

Agree with the other posters. He's a good actor, but he doesn't have loads of charisma or a larger-than-life personality

by Anonymousreply 20September 1, 2020 12:49 AM

He's in the Gregg Kinnear category where they both had some great roles and then fell out of favor. Topher Grace is another one in that vein--did a great turn in In Good Company, and then not much.

Eckhart is great in Thank You For Smoking

by Anonymousreply 21September 1, 2020 12:52 AM

Had him. And he's never had any complaints about me.

by Anonymousreply 22September 1, 2020 12:54 AM

Golly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 1, 2020 12:54 AM

R21, you beat me by half a minute! I was just about to reference Thank You for Smoking--such a great film. In the Company of Men was fantastic too. Anyone who hasn't seen these two hasn't seen Eckhart at his best.

by Anonymousreply 24September 1, 2020 12:55 AM

I thought I read somewhere (maybe here on DL) that he mocked homeless people on a talk show when he was discussing how he researched a role by observing them?

by Anonymousreply 25September 1, 2020 1:01 AM

Some people don't want to be huge stars.

by Anonymousreply 26September 1, 2020 1:06 AM

He has never been a presenter at the Oscars

Is he that B-list of an actor?

by Anonymousreply 27September 1, 2020 1:07 AM

He was interviewed on the Howard Stern Show years ago. Total asshole. So much so that I was laughing throughout. Actually complained about not having an Oscar and whining about how it wasn’t fair.

by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2020 1:10 AM

I don't want to be a movie star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2020 1:19 AM

Does she sound like a dolphin, or a whale?

Fucking love In The Company Of Men. What a cunt he plays.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2020 1:25 AM

I loved him in Roger Dodger. Great actor, imho.

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2020 1:30 AM

That was Campbell Scott.

by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2020 1:40 AM

Many leading men are dicks. They get excused for it if they are bankable. I’m going to go with addiction issues alcoholism being the most politically correct choice but there may have been another.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2020 1:44 AM

He is, and always has been, fucking hot. So he must be an asshole to have gone nowhere so slowly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2020 1:51 AM

He reminds me a bit of Jon Hamm.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2020 1:52 AM

R35, me too. Aaron Eckhart is as handsome as John Hamm. Like a cartoon pilot, in the words of Liz Lemon.

Thomas Jane isn’t as handsome as either. But he’s sexier.

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2020 1:55 AM

Perhaps he didn't present enough hole.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2020 1:57 AM

I think Aaron is a better actor. I think he's better looking than mr. Jane.

by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2020 2:09 AM

i thought he was like an armie with a huge trust fund safety net.

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2020 2:13 AM

Thomas fucked men for a sandwich, or something.

by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2020 2:13 AM

His casting in Possession was interesting. I studied English literature and there were zero hot Marlboro Men teaching the courses. A Mark Ruffalo type would have been more realistic. But at east Aaron’s acting was good.

by Anonymousreply 41September 1, 2020 2:19 AM

He's a mormon

by Anonymousreply 42September 1, 2020 2:21 AM

R41 that's funny because if you read any novel with a lit professor as the protagonist, you would think they were the hottest men on the planet. With every nubile 20 year old throwing themselves at them.

by Anonymousreply 43September 1, 2020 2:22 AM

Non practicing r42.

by Anonymousreply 44September 1, 2020 2:51 AM

Thomas Jane is more handsome

by Anonymousreply 45September 1, 2020 3:01 AM

I think Eckhart is more attractive but had no idea he had a reputation for being difficult until now.

by Anonymousreply 46September 1, 2020 3:04 AM

I heard he's like the character he played in "In the Company of Men. " In other words, a prick.

by Anonymousreply 47September 1, 2020 3:08 AM

Nice of you to show up on DL, Mr. Jane!

R45 = Thomas jane

by Anonymousreply 48September 1, 2020 3:18 AM

Like Patrick Wilson he’s great looking and a decent actor, but he lacks charisma.

by Anonymousreply 49September 1, 2020 3:35 AM

Thanks, R32.

by Anonymousreply 50September 1, 2020 3:47 AM

Thomas Jane? If anything, Thomas James resembles James Purfoy. Aaron Eckhart reminds me of the actor who played Sawyer on LOST. What happened to him btw?

by Anonymousreply 51September 1, 2020 3:47 AM

I love men with cleft chins. So sexy.

by Anonymousreply 52September 1, 2020 3:50 AM

R51 Yellowstone.

by Anonymousreply 53September 1, 2020 4:11 AM

I get him mixed up with Bill Paxton. He's similar to a living Bill Paxton.

by Anonymousreply 54September 1, 2020 4:56 AM

He didn't have "it"!

by Anonymousreply 55September 1, 2020 4:58 AM

Perhaps Eckhart never wanted "it". Many actors do treat acting as simply a profession that pays the bills, not necessarily to stroke their monumental egos.

by Anonymousreply 56September 1, 2020 5:12 AM

R54 Living? Bill Paxton died?

by Anonymousreply 57September 1, 2020 5:21 AM

Yes, Paxton died several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 58September 1, 2020 5:25 AM

Yes, Paxton died several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 59September 1, 2020 5:25 AM

I'd love to watch Jane and Eckhart fuck. It would be so sexily confusing.

by Anonymousreply 60September 1, 2020 6:28 AM

He's like a nicer and less difficult version of Matthew Fox.

Matthew Fox is slightly hotter than him, though. But Aaron is slightly hotter than Jon Hamm and Thomas Jane, who are both slightly hotter than Greg Kinnear.

by Anonymousreply 61September 1, 2020 8:45 AM

I thought he was good in Erin Brockovich. And I remember he had a recurring role in the last few episodes of the TV sitcom "Frasier." He played a marine biologist or some such scientist.

by Anonymousreply 62September 1, 2020 8:56 AM

Handsome guy, talented actor, but not willing to gay it up onscreen and expand his... range.

by Anonymousreply 63September 1, 2020 9:12 AM

Wasn’t he rumored to hit women too?

by Anonymousreply 64September 1, 2020 9:16 AM

Verificatia of sizemeat?

by Anonymousreply 65September 1, 2020 9:25 AM

Never became a big star because 1) he is a terrible actor 2) he has zero charisma.

by Anonymousreply 66September 1, 2020 9:40 AM

Drinking issues, difficult on set and and probably doesn’t put out. Hot though, and talented.

by Anonymousreply 67September 1, 2020 9:55 AM

Only interested in pussy so don't give a shit if he disappears completely, next!

by Anonymousreply 68September 1, 2020 10:09 AM

Rabbit Hole was a stinker. He gained weight for the Neil LaBute follow-up Your Friends and Neighbors but Jason Patric stole that movie.

by Anonymousreply 69September 1, 2020 10:31 AM

He’s bland. No charisma

by Anonymousreply 70September 1, 2020 10:42 AM

I find him very very hot. And with a very masculine energy too often missing in the big stars. I bet he's a hard, rough fuck.

by Anonymousreply 71September 1, 2020 12:11 PM

I'm guessing it's because he isn't talented or charismatic enough to compensate for being the raging bag of shit he is rumored to be.

by Anonymousreply 72September 1, 2020 12:35 PM

My friend who worked on Rabbit Hole liked and enjoyed working with Nicole, was bowled over by Miss Wiest's professionalism, and thought Eckhart a pill.

by Anonymousreply 73September 1, 2020 2:29 PM

R25 He admitted to attending grief support meeting and lying about having a dead child for his role in Rabbit Hole.

by Anonymousreply 74September 1, 2020 2:58 PM

I always thought he was Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 75September 1, 2020 3:06 PM

[quote]and thought Eckhart a pill.

Can work with me any day.

by Anonymousreply 76September 1, 2020 3:16 PM

Is he really a "confirmed heterosexual" - when was the last time he was linked to a woman?

by Anonymousreply 77September 1, 2020 4:19 PM

Questionable anal hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 78September 1, 2020 4:27 PM

^ Ha ha

by Anonymousreply 79September 2, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]Is he really a "confirmed heterosexual" - when was the last time he was linked to a woman?

Nearly 20 years ago, a client of mine who worked in film production gossiped to me me that Aaron is gay. He said it in such a way as to make me think it was an open secret in the industry. I always believed this was true, but am now questioning it, since nobody here has mentioned any such rumors.

From Wikipedia: [quote]Eckhart met actress Emily Cline during the filming of In the Company of Men and they became engaged, but they separated in 1998. He has always been reluctant to speak about his relationships in interviews. Eckhart dated songwriter and member of SHeDAISY, Kristyn Osborn, from 2006 to 2007. He appeared in the group's video for their song "I'm Taking the Wheel".

by Anonymousreply 80September 3, 2020 12:51 AM

Don't care what his sexuality is. He is boring as fuck and has zero charisma. Each to their own but his presence in a film puts me off watching it.

by Anonymousreply 81September 3, 2020 6:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!