Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Canker Sores

Do you get them? What do you do to manage them? I'm so sick of getting them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2020 4:36 PM

Stop eating walnuts.

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2020 2:01 PM

Another "Muriel trying to up the traffic with another questioning thread" thread.

Google it, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2020 2:03 PM

Just say oral herpes, op.

by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2020 2:03 PM

Cancer sores and herpes are two different afflictions.

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2020 2:04 PM

All you can do is try to minimize the pain and let it take its course ( 10-14 days). I used to get them when I was younger but not so much anymore. I would get one if I bit or scratched the inside of my mouth, so maybe avoiding sharp foods is a good idea. For pain I would take an otc pain med or use oragel. My brother used to get terrible canker sores that would be the size of a dime, I think he smoked weed to deal with the pain.

by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2020 2:06 PM

There's a Colgate mouth rinse for it. It removes dead skin around the sore using hydrogen peroxide. It shortens the time it takes to heal. Hydrogen peroxide itself does the same, but is much cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2020 2:06 PM

Cepacol™.

Also good for vivid yellow potato salad.

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2020 2:11 PM

God, I remember it felt like I got them all the time as a kid. Now, as an Old, I can't remember the last time I had one. They hurt like a motherfucker.

My sister used to sprinkle salt on hers. She swore it sped up the healing. I never dared to try it myself - salting an intensely painful wound? No way.

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2020 2:15 PM

WD-40

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2020 2:18 PM

Apply a little alum to them with a cotton swab. Works.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2020 2:34 PM

Lysine.

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2020 2:35 PM

I used to get them. There are some OTC medications that you can use to heal them.

R8, it's gargling with salt water. It does help.

When I would get them as a kid, my Mom would put tincture of Mercurochrome on it.

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2020 2:47 PM

I used to get them all the time. Once I eliminated wheat from my diet, they stopped. Buy alum and put it on there, drool into the sink for 2 minutes and it will lessen the duration by several days.

by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2020 3:04 PM

When I get one I rinse my mouth with the saltiest water I can stand - keeping it in my mouth as long as I can stand it - and repeating a few more times. It's always worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2020 3:11 PM

R8 - no, it doesn't hurt at all.

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2020 3:12 PM

I believe they are caused by reaction to some type of food, I found orange juice was causing mine, I almost never drink orange juice or eat oranges anymore and haven't gotten one in years. Those saying alum to help them go away faster are correct. I use to have a hunk of alum that I would just rub on the canker sore, I would also put OraJel on them for the pain.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2020 3:57 PM

You’re stressed out OP.

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2020 4:21 PM

From my Grandmother an old Army wife/ Nurse: gargle with a solution of 1/3 Hydrogen peroxide to 2/3 Water 2- 3 times a day until symptoms and or sore disappear. As a kid growing up, I did this many times and it always worked. I will also admit, that my grandmother was of that generation of nurses, who believed Hydrogen peroxide was * the* magical curative for everything- be it from bicycle scrapes to cancer, so take it as you will.

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2020 4:29 PM

Ibuprofen and liauud anbesol or orajel. Put the liquid on a q tip and press on the sore for a few minutes. It numbs it well enough to eat or drink without pain. Also avoid burning your mouth on hot food and drink, I notice I get them after doing that.

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2020 4:35 PM

liquid ^- R19

by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2020 4:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!