Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cathy Smith Dies: ‘Sundown’ Muse Who Injected John Belushi With Fatal Drug Dose Was 73

Cathy Smith, the onetime girlfriend of singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot who might have been best remembered for inspiring the hit song “Sundown” had she not met up with John Belushi at the Chateau Marmont on March 5, 1982, died Aug. 18 at the age of 73.

Her death was reported by Canada’s The Globe and Mail. The longtime resident of Maple Ridge, British Columbia, had been on oxygen and in failing health the past few years, the newspaper said.

Smith, who had been a back-up singer (and occasional drug supplier) to the Canadian rockers who would later become The Band (she claimed “The Weight” was inspired by her), admitted to injecting Belushi with the heroin and cocaine that led to his death at age 33. In a 1986 plea bargain, she pleaded no contest to involuntary manslaughter and several drug charges and served a 15-month prison sentence at California Institution for Women. Upon release, she was deported to her native Canada, where she reportedly took a job in Toronto as a legal secretary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2020 5:44 AM

Good riddance. She was beyond skeevy. For context, Keith Richards was creeped out by her drug use, mmkay? She was as scuzzy as they get.

by Anonymousreply 1August 27, 2020 6:23 PM

Eventually the party has to end

by Anonymousreply 2August 27, 2020 6:43 PM

Was her death due to a drug overdose?

by Anonymousreply 3August 27, 2020 7:12 PM

She had COPD.

by Anonymousreply 4August 27, 2020 7:29 PM

She was nicknamed "Cathy Silverbags" because she carried her drug supply in a silver purse/bag. That John Belushi would have HER as a companion shows how scummy HE was. She was staying with him in his bungalow at the Chateau Marmont. He was slipping into unconsciousness but didn't want to be alone. He told her "don't leave." But after the drugs knocked him out she left, to place a bet on a horse, I think. When she came back Belushi was dead and the place was inundated with cops. She did time for manslaughter. And she became a "legal secretary?" That's pretty funny. But then a lot of criminals seem to do that. Mary Kay LeTourneau, the child rapist, worked in a law office after getting out of jail. I guess Cathy Silverbags had some lawyer friends who gave her a job.

by Anonymousreply 5August 27, 2020 7:44 PM

Sad...

by Anonymousreply 6August 27, 2020 8:30 PM

[quote]He was slipping into unconsciousness but didn't want to be alone. He told her "don't leave." But after the drugs knocked him out she left, to place a bet on a horse

That would explain her other nickname, "Hard Cathy."

by Anonymousreply 7August 27, 2020 11:53 PM

"One old friend remained loyal. In an interview this week with The Globe and Mail, Lightfoot said, said: 'Cathy was a great lady. Men were drawn to her, and she used to make me jealous. But I don’t have a bad thing to say about her.'"

by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote]'Cathy was a great lady. Men were drawn to her, and she used to make me jealous. But I don’t have a bad thing to say about her.'"

That's because she didn't shoot you up with a lethal dose of speedball and leave you for dead.

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2020 12:34 AM

Hedda Nussbaum also became a legal secretary.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2020 12:35 AM

She's injecting celebrities in heaven now.

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2020 12:47 AM

Smith? Rather common name, doncha think?

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2020 12:50 AM

I don't find anything particularly "sad" about Smith's death. She lived a lot longer than you would expect someone like her to live. Belushi, who she killed, only made it to 33. And if Gordon LIghtfoot thought she was a "great lady" he must be one big fat idiot. Robin Williams, who did coke with Belushi shortly before he died, thought Smith was "frightening." He told his wife about his experience being around Belushi and he crusty lady friend: "God, he was with this lady...she was tough, scary."

by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2020 2:24 AM

I do realize this isn’t about me, but I’ve always loved Lightfoot’s Sundown for the character the lyrics so seductively describe. Just learning that he was singing about this creepy woman is unsettling.

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2020 2:50 AM

She wasn't creepy. She did drugs. She dealt drugs and she behaved like a man.

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2020 2:53 AM

^^Gordon, is that you?^^

by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2020 3:05 AM

I prefer “The Wreck of Edmund Fitzgerald “

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2020 3:36 AM

In the news, she was as known as Cathy Evelyn Smith. Her middle name stood out, for emphasis, I suppose. Cathy Smith is too generic...

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2020 3:45 AM

"In the news, she was as known as Cathy Evelyn Smith. Her middle name stood out, for emphasis, I suppose. Cathy Smith is too generic..."

I think that was because using all three names is standard when referring to an assassin. Mark David Chapman...Lee Harvey Oswald...John Wilkes Booth...Cathy Evelyn Smith.

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2020 8:00 PM

More Cathy Smith stories, please. Why was she scary? She looks normal in the OP's pic.

by Anonymousreply 20August 29, 2020 6:23 PM

She was ugly

by Anonymousreply 21August 29, 2020 6:40 PM

She's vilified because she's a woman who killed a not particularly funny comedian.

by Anonymousreply 22August 29, 2020 7:01 PM

" Why was she scary? She looks normal in the OP's pic."

I suppose in person she radiated sleaziness and criminality. Even as dissolute and drug addled as Belushi himself was people wondered why he would be spending time with somebody as slimy as Smith. The reason was this: she had the drugs. The drugs that eventually killed him.

by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2020 9:13 PM

If you read much about Judy Belushi, she amazes me as much as Cathy. Judy tolerated this scuzzy whore banging her husband because John wouldn’t have it any other way. John was a real prick and woman-hater. He feared strong women.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2020 11:33 PM

She was a whore, darlin'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2020 11:52 PM

Belushi supposedly never slept with Smith. She made overtures toward him but he didn't respond. He was so whacked out on drugs that he was probably incapable of having sex with anyone.

by Anonymousreply 26August 30, 2020 1:54 AM

She was the best thing that ever happened to Belushi's career. The stories of his legendary prickiness aren't charming if he's not dead

by Anonymousreply 27August 30, 2020 5:48 AM

John Belushi was circling the drain with or without Cathy Smith. In a bizarre, druggy, musical chairs bit of sordidness it turned out it was with Cathy Smith. I mean, she was involved technically, but John Belushi was half dead by then anyway and wasn't going to live very long even if he never met Smith.

by Anonymousreply 28August 30, 2020 6:00 AM

I met her. She's was pretty low. But I met her in a classy place in a way. She was a good dealer. Tied up with Paul Volpe and that bunch for a while. But the Hollywood boys kept her much busier and threw money at her. Not to fuck. That was before I knew her. I'm not that old. Did anyone know a warehouse on Parliament Street where in a loft on the top floor a certain mob drug dealer lived? Such goings on.

by Anonymousreply 29August 30, 2020 6:07 AM

r29, let me buy you a drink. Keep talking about those days please......

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2020 4:15 AM

If I recall correctly, nobody would've known she was even there except she sold her story to the Enquirer. Was she high when she did that? 18 months in prison then deportation...I'm guessing it wasn't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2020 6:33 AM

God all these old sluts are such battleaxes.

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2020 9:53 PM

Had no idea "Sundown" was about her.

by Anonymousreply 33September 12, 2020 12:09 AM

She was supposed to be quite attractive once. I think it was Rick Danko who said she was the prettiest girl in Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 34September 12, 2020 12:24 AM

I don't think she should have been arrested. He wanted to do drugs. He was a junky. If he hadn't been famous, nothing would have happened to her

His family acted like she forced him to do drugs and murdered him. He was doing speedballs (injecting heroin and cocaine). He would have died sooner or later. Cathy or no Cathy

by Anonymousreply 35September 12, 2020 12:49 AM

God forbid Belushi be held responsible for his choices.

It's not like she injected a sober person, or injected him while he was unconscious, or without his permission.

by Anonymousreply 36September 12, 2020 1:02 AM

John Belushi was before my time, and I have no idea why he was such a big star. He wasn't very funny to me, in the stuff of his I've seen. Just obnoxious, boorish and crude. And of course in today's climate lots of his humor would be considered offensive.

by Anonymousreply 37September 12, 2020 1:18 AM

Danko was the prettiest boy in Toronto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 12, 2020 1:24 AM

She was with Danko, and Levon Helm, and Richard Manuel—she was "taking care of his [Manuel's] health" when in 1976 the Band played SNL and she met Belushi.

by Anonymousreply 39September 12, 2020 1:34 AM

Here's a photo of her with Gordon Lightfoot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2020 1:43 AM

If she was the prettiest girl in Toronto there must have been an extremely low bar back then for prettiest.

by Anonymousreply 41September 12, 2020 3:01 AM

Pretty or not, Gordon was concerned about finding her "creeping 'round my backdoor."

by Anonymousreply 42September 12, 2020 3:42 AM

For those saying she was ugly, y'all get back to us when you've had a No. 1 song written about you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 12, 2020 4:04 AM

[quote]r42 Pretty or not, Gordon was concerned about finding her "creeping 'round my backdoor."

Many men aren't into anal play!

by Anonymousreply 44September 12, 2020 4:11 AM

ACK!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 12, 2020 4:41 AM

You can see the jealousy in his eyes. The slow-burning phosphorescent jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 46September 12, 2020 4:52 AM

R43 I've always found it to be a very sexy song.

by Anonymousreply 47September 12, 2020 4:53 AM

If she breached Gord's anus all bets are off.

by Anonymousreply 48September 12, 2020 4:54 AM

The r25 podcast says it is a song about misplaced jealousy.

One night Cathy went out to a bar with friends and as sundown approached, the songwriter began imagining her with another man. (The other man is who Lightfoot fears might come creeping back to the house.) But she came back alone at 2:00 a.m. - a reasonable hour - and he realized his fears were for naught.

[italic]Once again, we pin the blame on poor, innocent Cathy when it’s the men in her life (Belushi, Lightfoot) who had the deeper issues.[/italic]

Typical!

by Anonymousreply 49September 12, 2020 5:29 AM

IIRC, every member of The Band were heroin addicts.

Drugs were super rampant in the 60s and 70s. Most musicians weren't just smoking weed, they were dropping acid and shooting up speed and heroin. To name a few, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Jimmy Page were junkies for many years.

Lots of groupies were allowed into these musicians inner circles because they had drug connections. This isn't any kind of revelation.

by Anonymousreply 50September 12, 2020 6:16 AM

Not Robbie Robertson or Garth Hudson, r50, but definitely Helm and Danko. Manuel was definitely an alcoholic, and I think he used heroin, don't know whether he was an addict.

by Anonymousreply 51September 12, 2020 6:23 AM

Did she ever sing on anything other than Lightfoot's "High And Dry?"

by Anonymousreply 52September 12, 2020 7:49 AM

[quote]Not Robbie Robertson or Garth Hudson, [R50], but definitely Helm and Danko. Manuel was definitely an alcoholic, and I think he used heroin, don't know whether he was an addict.

Thanks for info, I assumed they were all junkies.

Isn't Robbie the only surviving member? Levon Helm lived upstate NY, quite near some relatives who moved there years ago. Levon would give free concerts for the upstate locals.

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2020 9:20 PM

r53 AFAIK, Garth is still alive--bent & arthritic but alive.

by Anonymousreply 54September 12, 2020 10:14 PM

Does Kathy with a "K" know?

by Anonymousreply 55September 12, 2020 10:20 PM

r49, my favorite part of the jealousy aspect is that apparently Lightfoot was still married when he had his 4 year affair with Cathy Smith.

by Anonymousreply 56September 13, 2020 5:41 AM

^^ true.

She may have injected men with drugs ... but he injected LOVE with LIES!

by Anonymousreply 57September 13, 2020 5:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!