Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

George Cukor Pool Parties

What do you think the George Cukor pool parties were like? Was there active sex going on or was it just a place to make acquaintances? Did George ever play or was he just interested in watching? If you were a young Broadway hoofer who had just moved to Hollywood, would you have accepted an invitation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2020 2:16 AM

I had an older friend in Sedona, AZ years ago who’d been a contract player at Universal in the late 40’s. When I asked him if he’d ever been to Cukor’s Sunday pool parties, he quickly responded, “Never! Because, if you went there Sunday, by Monday everyone would know, and your career would be over. You just couldn’t take that kind of stupid risk.”

We think ourselves so protected. But it’s more of a shared illusion than we like to think. Attitudes can change overnight. Remember, during the Weimar Republic, gay culture was more public than now. All of that was erased in a very short time.

Cukor was able to create a niche career in Hollywood, and managed to maintain it. But that did not necessarily extend to anyone around him. If you are gay in any publicly spotlighted business, you can’t always be as outspoken as you please.

There aren’t a lot of Cukors in this world.

by Anonymousreply 1August 26, 2020 2:09 AM

I love the naked men in the film

by Anonymousreply 2August 26, 2020 2:16 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!