Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Manhattan Transfer

This has a nice introductory moment with the shirtless and extremely sexy (and improbably married to a woman) Alan Paul . But the real attraction were their sophisticated jazz-inflected arrangements and their heavenly voices.

Does anyone else remember them? They were so much a part of the Seventies for me, and hit their peak about 1980.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2020 6:48 PM

In middle school our choir director choreographed an entire number based on Twilight Zone/Tone. No singing just a slew of uncoordinated tweens running around to the Manhattan Transfer track. It was a blast!

by Anonymousreply 1August 25, 2020 5:06 AM

In the 70s I heard their covers of songs and they were ok from that aspect but I grew to love them when I heard what they really were — an exquisite vocal ensemble. Alan indeed was sex on a stick first noted in the original cast of Grease. Ilene Kristen won’t say much but her eyes light up when you mention his name.

by Anonymousreply 2August 25, 2020 5:12 AM

They had a summer replacement show around 1975 right before the Cher show reboot. It was fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2020 5:22 AM

They were great. I saw them live in SF at a small nightclub in the 70s .

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2020 5:31 AM

The 1989 Grammy for Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals went to the album [italic]Brasil[/italic].

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2020 5:35 AM

The pervasive nostalgia for the sophisticated, glamorous NYC of the 20s and 30s that was so omnipresent in the late 1970s was something they really embodied.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2020 5:44 AM

I liked this song from the early 90s a lot. Lost track of them after this album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2020 6:25 AM

I remember them but never cared for their music.

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2020 6:27 AM

Here's an infectious, live 'Boy from New York City.' Even grandpa ( the late Tim Hauser) has got the moves, baby!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2020 6:28 AM

I liked them so much as a teenager. Alan Paul was dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2020 6:41 AM

Birdland:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2020 6:58 AM

That was amazing, R11.

And thank you, OP. I was an odd kid and I loved Manhattan Transfer from junior high through to the mid 1990s.

I do have to confess, I cheated on them during grad school with New York Voices

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2020 11:27 AM

Werent they part of that Mary Tyler Moore musical abortion?

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2020 11:31 AM

they came to my campus ,Western Washington Universtiy in 1980. I went, of course ,and loved them

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2020 11:32 AM

The slickest of music videos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2020 11:34 AM

I never cared for them, but my dad loved them. To me they're a throwback to Lambert, Hendricks and Ross(later Bavan). Anyone else think so?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2020 11:36 AM

Mary's Incredible Dream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2020 11:38 AM

I guess they're an acquired taste...

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2020 11:40 AM

I remember liking them, but I was too young to know why. I think it was the old timey look and the weekly exposure via the tv show. I haven’t been interested enough to revisit their sound before now though.

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2020 11:48 AM

One of my fondest memories is going to see George Carlin at Red Rocks the summer after high school graduation. We weren't going for Carlin, but for his opening act...Manhattan Transfer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2020 11:54 AM

They could be great. But they were nothing without the great Gloria Huddle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2020 12:06 PM

I know I've told this on here before...probably on the "Dialing the Phone with a Pencil" thread 100 years ago, but I had a dance routine when I was a kid that started with "Trickle Trickle." My mother had the Extensions album, and I thought the cover was the classiest, coolest thing I had ever seen. Yes, there was a hat and an umbrella involved. I don't think I ever performed it for anyone but the mirror in the basement, but it was quite a production number. Listening to it again has made me very melancholy.

The second number in my show was a dance rendition of Olivia Newton John's totally not a classic "Queen of the Publication," which involved a desk, typewriter and a stack of paper I would throw during the dramatic conclusion.

There was more, but thankfully, I have forgotten it all. So glad YouTube didn't exist when I was a kid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2020 12:19 PM

[quote]So glad YouTube didn't exist when I was a kid.

Oh, baby. You don't know the half of that very true statement.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2020 12:23 PM

It's gonna take a Miracle

Manhattan Transfer featuring Bette Midler

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2020 12:32 PM

I liked them and had their first few albums when I was young .

And I found Alan Paul sexy as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 25, 2020 12:34 PM

It all seemed like an elaborate affection.

by Anonymousreply 26August 25, 2020 12:39 PM

R21, What the ACTUAL fuck is that? lol

by Anonymousreply 27August 25, 2020 12:56 PM

That is the magic of Gloria Huddle, R27. Once seen, never forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 28August 25, 2020 1:04 PM

R22, I love you. If I could have joined your show, I would have done my interpretive dance of Cher’s Train of Thought, with a dramatic flourish at the end when she sings “and I turned the gun around!”

by Anonymousreply 29August 25, 2020 1:05 PM

Their "Boy from New York City" was the first 45 I ever bought.

by Anonymousreply 30August 25, 2020 1:09 PM

Janis Siegel’s version was my introduction to this gay classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31August 25, 2020 1:15 PM

I first heard them on their summer replacement show. Then I saw them twice in concert. Can’t remember the first time but the second time, I happened to be visiting London and they were touring so I got to see them again. Loved them.

by Anonymousreply 32August 25, 2020 1:31 PM

Miss Massé...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 25, 2020 5:00 PM

Their Jay Graydon produced albums were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 34August 25, 2020 6:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!