Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I am watching BURLESQUE (2010) for the first time

What kind of Burlesque show barely shows skin but is pretty much a one woman concert every night? This is just ridiculous. I just saw the “Bound To You” scene where she sings that awful ballad after she starts fucking her hot roommate.

The movie is so so bad but kind of entertaining. It’s a movie that is really bad but you still can enjoy if you can shut your brain off for a bit.

Why was Cher about to lose her club? It was THRIVING after it became a concert venue for this unknown chick from the middle of nowhere.

I love Cher in this though, and love that in real life she has yet to see the film and doesn’t care to because she knows it’s a piece of shit lmao.

Christina is awful and not believable at all. It’s annoying. She is annoying in this.

Kristen Bell is annoying too.

I love Cam Gigandet and he is the highlight of this movie along with Dianna Agron making a cameo in her most believable acting ever. Lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 12:03 AM

It ain't no "Showgirls."

And I never thought that would be a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 1August 24, 2020 11:23 PM

It's awful and I love every second of it!

by Anonymousreply 2August 24, 2020 11:29 PM

Christina playing a small time waitress was hard to swallow. I forgot Julianne Hough and Peter Gallagher are in this too.

by Anonymousreply 3August 25, 2020 2:14 PM

Christina was not believable in the slightest. And why was she Tess’ little favorite so fast? Please.

by Anonymousreply 4August 25, 2020 2:53 PM

I wish Cher would do another real legitimate movie again. She hasn't done one since Tea With Mussolini. Another drama. Maybe she could win a second oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5August 25, 2020 2:58 PM

Burlesque is a real, legitimate movie.

by Anonymousreply 6August 25, 2020 3:01 PM

Watching it is so full of guilt and none of the pleasure! Boring and bland.

by Anonymousreply 7August 25, 2020 3:08 PM

My husband and I put it on a couple of years ago out of curiosity but it was so stupid and poorly done we only got through about 15-20 minutes. It doesn't even enter "so bad it's good" territory. It takes place in an alternate universe of watered-down showbiz cliches wholly lacking in self-awareness. Not satirical - just dumb. The movie is actually more interesting for its backstory than its drama. Apparently it was the passion project of the boyfriend of producer Donald DeLine and its failure ended their relationship. Far more dramatically, A-List Hollywood publicist Ronnie Chasen (sister of producer/director Larry Cohen of Bette Davis/WICKED STEPMOTHER fame) was murdered under mysterious circumstances after attending the premiere. The murder deserves its own thread (and there are probably several already).

by Anonymousreply 8August 25, 2020 4:20 PM

Stanely Tucci is in this playing the same character from The Devil Wears Prada, where the only difference is the character's name and occupation.

by Anonymousreply 9August 25, 2020 4:24 PM

Stanley Tucci plays the same character in everything- vaguely gay and gnawing on the scenery.

Cher could never make another legit movie. Her plastic surgery is so distracting that it would be like watching a circus clown for two hours.

by Anonymousreply 10August 25, 2020 4:28 PM

[R10] I worked for an A-list Hollywood manager who was offered a meeting with Cher with a mind to representing her (as an actor only). She politely declined the meeting with the comment, "Her face doesn't move." And that was over 20 years ago!

by Anonymousreply 11August 25, 2020 4:33 PM

"Christina is awful and not believable at all."

Who cares as the Bitch can really sing!

by Anonymousreply 12August 25, 2020 4:39 PM

"Stanley Tucci plays the same character in everything- vaguely gay and gnawing on the scenery."

So does Héctor Elizondo.

I thought Tucci was really good in "Julie & Julia".

by Anonymousreply 13August 25, 2020 4:43 PM

It really is so awful but I like the musical numbers (as if any straight man would watch a burlesque show like this!) and I really didn’t think Christina was that bad. The whole movie is so unbelievably artificial and yet, it’s not an awful time.

by Anonymousreply 14August 25, 2020 4:46 PM

No r8 the movie was Steven Antin's project that his boyfriend Clint Culpepper (big wig at Screen Gems at the time) got green lit for him. Antin wrote the screenplay and directed the movie.

Steven Antin is an ass and would have literal crying fits on set throwing himself down on a piece of furniture like a child. Bitch knows how to throw a tantrum. Clint would have to come to set to get him under control. It was totally fucked up.

Cher is a dream, everything you would want a star like her to be.

by Anonymousreply 15August 25, 2020 4:54 PM

[R15] Thanks for the clarification vis a vis Culpepper and not DeLine. When I was watching the movie all I could think was, "Why can't you just watch a few old 20th Century Fox Betty Grable musicals and crib something fun together?" These stories aren't rocket science. Show girls. Backstage romances. Novices vs. hard bitten veterans. A temperamental choreographer. An uppity leading lady. An energetic upstart. A woman-of-the-world mentor. A dictatorial director. An accident that forces the understudy to go on. This Steve Antin character is clueless. And to add insult to injury the musical style in the movie isn't "burlesque" - meaning that the 12 people attracted by the title left disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 16August 25, 2020 5:12 PM

Cam Gigandet's tits make it all better.

by Anonymousreply 17August 25, 2020 6:35 PM

R17 and his smooth butt cheeks

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2020 7:04 PM

The choreography is a rip off of Fosse/Chicago/Cabaret. Nothing original. Kristen Bell is a hoot. Interesting to see Peter Gallagher and Cher together after he was vetoed for Moonstruck in favor of Nick Cage. Cam is hot hot hot. And a cameo by daddy James Brolin at the end. It’s a gay classic!

by Anonymousreply 19January 3, 2021 10:34 PM

Cher used to do good movies.

burlesque was an unmitigated disaster

by Anonymousreply 20January 3, 2021 10:38 PM

This one of my guilty pleasures movies that I like to watch once a year.

by Anonymousreply 21January 3, 2021 10:47 PM

R20 she must have done it for the easy paycheck. She still to this day hasn’t even watched it.

Shes top billed yet her role isn’t that large. Easy cash.

by Anonymousreply 22January 3, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote]No [R8] the movie was Steven Antin's project that his boyfriend Clint Culpepper (big wig at Screen Gems at the time) got green lit for him. Antin wrote the screenplay and directed the movie.

Antin was part of a recent GOONIES live reading and he looks good now that all of his plastic surgery has seemed to settle.

by Anonymousreply 23January 3, 2021 10:52 PM

The musical numbers are quite well-filmed and performed, though it is bizarre that Kristen Bell is dubbed by Megan Mullally when she herself has a more than adequate voice. The title song has some exhilarating lighting, one of the most complex lighting designs ever on film apparently (by Broadway legends Jules Fisher and Peggy Eisenhauer). There are extended scenes on the DVD/Blu that show the full musical numbers without intercutting and they are quite good. But, yes, the film is a mess.... but a lovable one.

by Anonymousreply 24January 3, 2021 11:01 PM

It's not a gay classic nor so bad it's good; it's just bad, bland, boring and thoroughly forgettable. It's not the least bit compelling and after 20 minutes I kept skipping through it and I suggest you skip it altogether. Sad to think that this was the last movie that publicist Veronica "Ronnie" Chasen saw before she was killed in Beverly Hills on her way home after attending a screening making her the most interesting thing about this burlesque of a movie. What a waste all the way around!

by Anonymousreply 25January 3, 2021 11:07 PM

"It's not a gay classic nor so bad it's good; it's just bad, bland, boring and thoroughly forgettable."

Sadly, this is the case. The movie just isn't fun in any way - not as a musical, not as a fluff movie, not as camp - intentional or unintentional! I mean, how can you have Cher in a stupid musical and not achieve Camp? This is how!

It's a complete waste of effort, and I say that as someone who likes a lot of bad movies.

by Anonymousreply 26January 3, 2021 11:33 PM

The problem with Burlesque is it feels very watered down. It feels like a picture that has been through test audiences and committees. It has no true artistic stamp on it. It's not like Showgirls which, whether you like it or not, went there. It completely absorbed itself in its setting. It was raunchy and sleazy.

I don't think Christina was bad. Cher was very awkward to watch, with the frozen face and she was filmed with fifty filters and a gauzy lens. Plus, every scene she looks like she cannot move. Does Cher have mobility issues? I'm not even trying to be a jerk. It was the same in Mamma Mia 2. She would pose in position for each scene like she couldn't move; it was really distracting.

by Anonymousreply 27January 6, 2021 3:10 AM

Cher still hasn’t watched this

by Anonymousreply 28April 19, 2021 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!