Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Bruce Willis' career go down the shitter?

C'mon, admit it - you thought he was hot. Good actor. Charismatic as hell on Moonlighting. You bought the cassette of The Return of Bruno. You rewound the clips of his dick in Color of Night on VHS back in the '90s. You went to see The Sixth Sense again to see what the clues were before the twist.

Willis had a decent movie career for quite awhile but now all he seems to do is straight-to-DVD/Blu-ray/streaming junk. What happened?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 30, 2020 3:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2020 8:07 AM

I never understood why he didn’t get more praise for his performance in Pulp Fiction.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2020 8:07 AM

Why are you starting all these threads, OP?

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2020 8:08 AM

Because he's a seething pool of evil shaped like an old man.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2020 8:08 AM

OP you 'tard, Willis got old and ugly so can't do the roles that made his career. Now fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2020 8:12 AM

I suspect OP is the angry dyke who found these shitter threads ‘misogynistic’.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2020 8:14 AM

I thought "down the shitter" was a DL phrase beloved by all?

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2020 8:18 AM

How many shitter threads have you started, R7?

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2020 8:20 AM

Because he's an arrogant, inveterate asshole who's aged out of the sexy smooth wry guy who singlehandedly takes on an army of bad guys and their minions.

And like many former A-list, top line actors these days, he's too vain to play Grandpa roles, even a sexy smooth wry guy Gramps.

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2020 8:25 AM

R6 is homophobic against lesbians. He loves Republican straight men and women just fine, though. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2020 8:28 AM

FLACCID!

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2020 8:31 AM

VERY questionable anal hygiene but I would have back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2020 8:32 AM

R6 is the only person I have blocked. Zhe hates lesbians who won’t fuck transwomen.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2020 8:38 AM

He made lots and lots of films - of varying degrees in quality. As to why his career went downer the shitter in the last tens, well most peoples careers have due to the changes in the industry. Bruce Willis is not alone.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2020 8:41 AM

One reason is that he hates doing the publicity thing for big films that is always needed and can also be a nightmare on set. I remember watching an interview he did for RED and he was so rude to the interviewer and spoke of how he hated doing junkets. That is not going to help. It’s like do movies you are proud of I guess? He came across as an arsehole.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2020 10:17 AM

He’s a very one note actor. He basically plays the same part in every film. His ego as well as any ill Shepherd’s, ruined MOONLIGHTING, which was a very charming show.

He was involved in some racial incidents as a teen that would rival Mark Wahlberg’s. I read that in a PEOPLE Magazine end of year almanac. It only appeared once. I think that his PR people had it scrubbed.

His movies are mainly atrocious. PULP FICTION was an ensemble piece so he didn’t really carry the film by himself. And IMO it is one of the most overrated films I’ve ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2020 11:58 AM

Because he's an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2020 1:06 PM

I heard he is despised by the below the line crew in Hollywood. Not only arrogant but stupid enough to alienate the people he needs to maintain a career.

by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2020 1:43 PM

bad plastic surgery. possibly steriod overuse.

too much committment through too many roles in the "action hero" mould, which fails to challenge an actor and becomes more and more difficult to maintain as one gets older.

lost his humour and his sparkle. is very dour now, partially due to role but partially due to some change in how he plays these repeated "having a gun makes me tough" types.

he would have done much better to continue mixing up his "tough guy" routine with his "sensitive, smart, funny" guy routine, which really was his better half.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2020 1:50 PM

In addition to being an all-around asshole, he also suffers from delusions of grandeur and/ or has too much money to actually work as an actor any more: he refuses to learn any lines, and has for decades now. Apparently if he's going to do any kind of part, he either demands that someone feeds him his lines via an earpiece, or holds up cards with the lines off camera.

Marlon Brando just about got away with that in his Superman role. Willis is no Marlon Brando.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2020 3:48 PM

R20 - yeah, too much money and too arrogant. Plus he's old and still considers himself an action star and a hunk.

And he says a lot of stupid shit - remember when he begged President Bush to let him go into Iraq with the troops? Yeah, right - like your 50 year old ass is going to save the day.

He's a dick and a prime example of 1980's toxic masculinity. It's a masculine attitude that thankfully has fallen out of fashion. Tom Cruise also adopted this and can't seem to let it go.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2020 3:59 PM

Isn’t he a Trump lover?

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2020 4:55 PM

At least Nicholas Cage still gets his name first on the poster in his crappy movies.

Looking at Willis’ IMDb, he’s getting billed second to actors like Jesse Metcalfe, Chad Michael Murray, and Nicky Whelan.

by Anonymousreply 23August 26, 2020 3:06 PM

Because he committed the worst crime an actor possibly can — he got old.

by Anonymousreply 24August 26, 2020 3:08 PM

I wonder what the experience of "Misery" onstage was like for those around him.

by Anonymousreply 25August 26, 2020 3:09 PM

Because he went straight up mine.

by Anonymousreply 26August 26, 2020 3:10 PM

[Quote] Because he committed the worst crime an actor possibly can — he got old.

Meryl Streep got old. Ditto Glenn. They're doing fine, they send their love.

by Anonymousreply 27August 26, 2020 3:10 PM

Homophobia. Once it became known that Bruce was sugar daddy to Hollywood, the bigots closed in!

by Anonymousreply 28August 26, 2020 3:10 PM

R27 Old women are different than old men, they're still marketable. Besides, Meryl and Glenn both aged well. Bruce is fat and bald with visible wrinkles. Also Bruce Willis ain't no Meryl Streep in terms of acting chops.

by Anonymousreply 29August 26, 2020 3:11 PM

[Quote] Old women are different than old men, they're still marketable.

Clint Eastwood was still playing lead roles when he looked like a skelton. Connery got up there as well.

by Anonymousreply 30August 26, 2020 3:21 PM

*skeleton

by Anonymousreply 31August 26, 2020 3:21 PM

The Aaron Carter stories are a lot of fun, but I think the real reason Bruce gave him a million dollars worth of gifts, etc was to "buy" him as a playmate/possible boyfriend for his ugly and untalented daughters.

by Anonymousreply 32August 26, 2020 3:22 PM

I agree r2.

by Anonymousreply 33August 26, 2020 3:24 PM

[Quote] The Aaron Carter stories are a lot of fun

Da fuck!?

by Anonymousreply 34August 26, 2020 3:29 PM

He got bald.

by Anonymousreply 35August 26, 2020 3:31 PM

[quote]I heard he is despised by the below the line crew in Hollywood.

I have a very good friend who has worked closely with him on many films. They like him a lot.

Although I have heard stories about how difficult he can be.

In person, he comes across as very smug.

by Anonymousreply 36August 26, 2020 3:32 PM

He wants maximum checks for minimum efforts. The not learning lines is well known.

by Anonymousreply 37August 26, 2020 3:36 PM

You've got to be kidding R34.

by Anonymousreply 38August 26, 2020 3:37 PM

He's a good comic actor. People may not give him enough credit--he brought a lot of personality to the DIE HARD franchise that saved it from being another routine action flick. (The first movie remains very entertaining all this time later, thanks also to Alan Rickman.)

He's not the man of theatre he claimed to be. (A friend saw him 1000 years ago as a replacement in Shepard's FOOL FOR LOVE, of all things, but has no clear memory of his acting.) His turn in MISERY was an embarrassment. He simply didn't know his lines or how to create a compelling performance. Laurie Metcalf is the soul of discretion but I can only imagine what a nightmare that experience was for everyone involved.

Not untalented. But arrogant, entitled, and lazy.

by Anonymousreply 39August 26, 2020 3:39 PM

His singing won’t win any prizes either.

by Anonymousreply 40August 26, 2020 4:13 PM

I started to loathe him during the final seasons of Moonlighting, after his head swelled from his Die Head success. He came across so arrogant in interviews, and besides The Sixth Sense and that Wes Anderson boy scout film I hadn’t cared for anything he had done since the show ended.

Having said that, I thought he came across well during the Comedy Roast event last year. Especially the back and forth with Cybill, which was sweet despite the viciousness of some of the jokes.

by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2020 6:36 PM

Oh dear God what was Tina thinking? Here's bruce sing-screaming, inexplicably wearing a dew rag and a halter top.

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2020 6:45 PM

Ooops forgot link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2020 6:46 PM

What goes up the shitter must eventually go down.

by Anonymousreply 44August 26, 2020 6:54 PM

He was good in Pulp Fiction but that annoying French cunt girlfriend character negated any possible praise for Bruce's acting.

by Anonymousreply 45August 26, 2020 7:07 PM

He got old and lost his looks. He has several projects in development, most sound like stinkers.

by Anonymousreply 46August 26, 2020 7:14 PM

He certainly liked to show off his ass and cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47August 26, 2020 7:35 PM

Yeah, he is a failure.

by Anonymousreply 48August 26, 2020 8:01 PM

Maybe he made a shit ton of money and doesn't care to make movies anymore and wants to spend time with his family.

by Anonymousreply 49August 26, 2020 8:30 PM

Maybe he caught a bad case of Demimooriasis

by Anonymousreply 50August 26, 2020 10:09 PM

Lousy actor, lousier human being.

by Anonymousreply 51August 26, 2020 11:24 PM

The very first time I saw him was in the pilot episode for 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝑁𝑒𝑤 𝑇𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡 𝑍𝑜𝑛𝑒 (1985), 'Shatterday.' Probably the last thing I tolerated him in was 𝑃𝑙𝑎𝑛𝑒𝑡 𝑇𝑒𝑟𝑟𝑜𝑟 (2007), which I watched in spite of him, not because of him.

I've never found him attractive. Nor have I ever run back a tape to look at his anything. And once it became evident that he's a deplorable, I've stopped watching anything he's in.

by Anonymousreply 52August 26, 2020 11:33 PM

R49 he's still working. he's just making crap.

by Anonymousreply 53August 26, 2020 11:43 PM

He's excellent in 5th Element (1997) as is Jojovich. Willis was already going to seed but he was still sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54August 26, 2020 11:44 PM

He came across as smug.

by Anonymousreply 55August 26, 2020 11:45 PM

Because he is an asshole. A friend on mine worked with him and Billy Bob Thornton and a film set years ago, and he told me BBT was really cool. Just a nice and laid back guy to be around. He was not as impressed by Bruce. Apparently, he is a moody shit who mostly treats people on the film set as inferiors if he acknowledges them at all.

by Anonymousreply 56August 26, 2020 11:46 PM

Yes R54. But that was 25 years ago

by Anonymousreply 57August 26, 2020 11:47 PM

I really don't think he's aged that badly, but he made a mistake of going down the action movie leading man route where you're basically retired at 50. He didn't take many chances or risks and just seemed to stop caring after awhile. His best work is in stuff like Death Becomes Her, The Sixth Sense, and Blind Date. He definitely had talent at some point, but maybe he felt like he proved what he had to prove and has been phoning it in ever since. The fact that he didn't even attempt to memorize his lines for Misery is pathetic and very unprofessional.

by Anonymousreply 58August 26, 2020 11:54 PM

test

by Anonymousreply 59August 26, 2020 11:56 PM

[italic][bold]test[/bold][/italic]

by Anonymousreply 60August 27, 2020 12:00 AM

Haha, OP! I loved "Moonlighting"! And just today I put "The Return of Bruno" (12" vinyl) in the trash! I enjoyed "The Jackal," though the original is much better. Otherwise, cannot abide BW anymore, not his smirk, not his baldness, and definitely not his politics.

by Anonymousreply 61August 27, 2020 12:04 AM

perfect stranger".

co starring Halle Berry.

by Anonymousreply 62August 27, 2020 12:04 AM

Actually, that movie with Jane March probably signalled the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 63August 27, 2020 12:06 AM

In Death Becomes Her when he is offered the potion to be forever young, I was hoping he would drink it and we would see Bruce become buff, young, and strong again.

by Anonymousreply 64August 27, 2020 12:20 AM

He was never young in front of the camera? The balding made him instantly late 30s.

by Anonymousreply 65August 27, 2020 12:33 AM

R20 you know why they get lines fed by an earpiece and then blame the script for being shit? They can’t remember their goddamn lines. They get old and in addition to that actors aren’t generally known for their intellect or learning capability. He’s an old fart who can’t remember his own name half the time and can’t remember two lines if one of them isn’t hello.

by Anonymousreply 66August 27, 2020 12:57 AM

[quote]And like many former A-list, top line actors these days, he's too vain to play Grandpa roles, even a sexy smooth wry guy Gramps.

He's sixtysomething years old and still playing the father of teenagers. Liam Neeson, too. These guys could have teenaged grandchildren.

by Anonymousreply 67August 27, 2020 1:04 AM

[Quote] Old women are different than old men, they're still marketable.

I'd say it's the other way around.

by Anonymousreply 68August 27, 2020 10:05 AM

I wouldn't say that Bruce Willis's career has gone down the shitter.

He's 65 and has been working steadily for 35 years. Over 70 films now - some of them pretty massive. He's getting on now and obviously can't keep going forever.

by Anonymousreply 69August 27, 2020 11:26 AM

Never liked him. Still don't.

by Anonymousreply 70August 27, 2020 11:32 AM

From the Hollywood Reporter review of his new film:

The production notes inform us that the unimaginatively titled Hard Kill was filmed in a mere ten days, making you wonder how they spent eight of them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 27, 2020 1:21 PM

R58 - I thought James Caan starred in Misery???

by Anonymousreply 72August 27, 2020 1:26 PM

Willis played James Caan's role in a Broadway adaptation of Misery.

by Anonymousreply 73August 27, 2020 1:31 PM

Didn't Bruce get kicked off of The Expendables because Sly couldn't stand him?

by Anonymousreply 74August 27, 2020 1:51 PM

He does shitty movies, most recently being his remake of Death Wish.

by Anonymousreply 75August 27, 2020 1:57 PM

Was with him in an elevator once. He is 4’11” in lifts.

by Anonymousreply 76August 27, 2020 2:01 PM

He has three adult daughters who are useless and have never worked a day in their lives but live the LA lifestyle. He has to keep making shitty movies for the paychecks.

by Anonymousreply 77August 27, 2020 2:19 PM

R71 If that's supposed to be his "tough guy" look, he really missed the mark. It just looks like he has dementia and forgot where he is.

by Anonymousreply 78August 27, 2020 2:27 PM

I don't know why he doesn't retire. He's set for life and then some.

by Anonymousreply 79August 27, 2020 2:37 PM

He diddled the Carter kid and ruined him.

He got old, bald and unattractive.

He has dementia.

That should be enough.

by Anonymousreply 80August 27, 2020 3:18 PM

Demi is an enabler.

by Anonymousreply 81August 27, 2020 3:23 PM

Bruce Willis has been divorced fro Demi for 20 years and has a younger newish wife. Demi is a nutjob too but not responsible for Bruce r81.

Bruce fucked that Carter kid (among others) and helped create the train wreck Aaron is today.

Bruce got old and the "sexy" is long gone.

Bruce also suffers from early dementia. He is well managed.

These are just a few things that helped flush his career.

Like Mel Gibson, stick a fork in it.

by Anonymousreply 82August 28, 2020 1:52 PM

I've only heard the Aaron Carter stuff on DL. Carter is such a raging nutcase with no filter, I think he would've spilled the beans by now if it had really happened.

by Anonymousreply 83August 28, 2020 1:55 PM

Willis gave Aaron Carter a Bentley among other very expensive gifts.

It's all in the court records from Aarons' suit to emancipate himself from his grifting mother.

It was all covered here . Are you new?

by Anonymousreply 84August 28, 2020 2:06 PM

Odd that Aaron hasn't talked about it.

by Anonymousreply 85August 28, 2020 2:09 PM

Didn't Aaron Carter defend Michael Jackson, though? Carter was a child star. It's in his DNA to play the public/media, even while clearly suffering from drub abuse and mental instability.

by Anonymousreply 86August 28, 2020 4:10 PM

I was waiting for someone to talk about the rumor that he has dementia (allegedly due to years of cocaine use).

by Anonymousreply 87August 28, 2020 4:14 PM

*drug abuse

by Anonymousreply 88August 28, 2020 4:18 PM

Didn't Willis take Zac Efron under his... wing?

by Anonymousreply 89August 28, 2020 4:20 PM

Never found him attractive at all, he's bland. But his best role was in Terry Gilliam's 12 Monkeys.

by Anonymousreply 90August 28, 2020 4:42 PM

I think everybody got a turn on Zac Efron's ass. Remember when he spent a weekend "riding motorcycles" with Tom Cruise?

by Anonymousreply 91August 28, 2020 4:52 PM

R90 - 12 Monkeys was Brad Pitt's best movie too.

by Anonymousreply 92August 28, 2020 5:16 PM

R92, completely agree. I was surprised by how good he was.

by Anonymousreply 93August 29, 2020 2:56 AM

Didn't Kevin Smith say how disappointed he was when he met Bruce Willis. He also did a lot of box office bombs. The only movie I've ever really liked him in was Sixth Sense. That new Death Wish looks stupid.

by Anonymousreply 94August 29, 2020 3:04 AM

Ah, maybe, just maybe because he is a shit actor

by Anonymousreply 95August 29, 2020 4:07 AM

He was good in "Nobody's Fool," opposite an aging Paul Newman. But I think he was tolerable because the part was rather small and the character largely incidental to the main plot.

by Anonymousreply 96August 29, 2020 8:54 AM

I’m glad there was a shout-out for Willis’ work in Death Becomes Her. He really was terrific - actually they all were - but he really gave a great comedic performance. .

It’s a shame the film was such a schized-out mess: a terrific first half followed by a wtf second half. I keep hoping they’ll come out with some sort of restored director’s cut, but most likely any attempt was unsalvageable - given this version is all there has ever been.

by Anonymousreply 97August 29, 2020 9:59 AM

R96 his character is kind of important. he's a counterpoint to Newman the "loser" and the loser males around Newman. One can see why Melanie's character would have married the hot fucker winner/operator, but he was a jerk, so one could see her tempted to be with a good old loser like Newman.

by Anonymousreply 98August 29, 2020 10:04 AM

I really can’t see him fucking AC. Not to mention all the gifts. Are there other twinks?

by Anonymousreply 99August 29, 2020 10:19 AM

I think because he lost his hot body. He looked atrocious in his nudes pics from the beach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 29, 2020 10:37 AM

To each his own R97. I prefer Death Becomes Her’s bottom half!

by Anonymousreply 101August 29, 2020 2:27 PM

Speaking as a top, I would've have presented him my hole during his Moonlighting days.

by Anonymousreply 102August 29, 2020 2:57 PM

Didn't "Death Becomes Her" have a whole Willis subplot with Tracey Ullman? I wonder if the negative was burned/melted down.

by Anonymousreply 103August 29, 2020 4:51 PM

Probably. It was released on Blu-ray last year which would have been a perfect opportunity to include the alternative ending with Tracey.

by Anonymousreply 104August 29, 2020 4:56 PM

R103 is correct. Not just and alternate ending but an entire subplot w/Tracey Ullman.

by Anonymousreply 105August 30, 2020 3:36 PM

Moonlighting was such a groundbreaking show back in the day. It doesn't get enough credit for how much it changed the format of scripted series.

Interesting that Bruce hated being the wisecracking character and Cybill hated having to be sidelined with all the dramatic moments.

by Anonymousreply 106August 30, 2020 3:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!