Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Orlando, Florida

Does anyone live there? What’s it like these days? What are some good areas?

They used to have a big nightlife scene, is that still the case (obviously not during Covid)?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2020 3:26 PM

What about real estate?

by Anonymousreply 1August 22, 2020 7:54 AM

I have family who live there. Avoid it. I'm admittedly no fan of Florida to begin with, but why in Hell would anyone want to live in that steamy, humid, hotter-than-Hades, mosquito-ridden, state and NOT be near the ocean? The beach is really the only redeeming factor of making a life in Florida. The breeze is helpful too for many reasons. Orlando is smack in the middle of the state and very swampy with all the lakes. Roach heaven is an understatement and those roaches are the size of dogs..

by Anonymousreply 2August 22, 2020 7:56 AM

There are the Disney water parks. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon.

by Anonymousreply 3August 22, 2020 8:04 AM

There are the Disney water parks. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon.

by Anonymousreply 4August 22, 2020 8:04 AM

R2 Makes the case. Stay close to the coast, Orlando is extremely hot and and humid because it’s smack dab in the middle of the state with no breeze.

by Anonymousreply 5August 22, 2020 12:09 PM

A steaming cesspool of racist Jeebus luving Trumtards living in their cars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 22, 2020 1:24 PM

It's a fucking shit hole!

by Anonymousreply 7August 22, 2020 1:37 PM

Orlando is one of the more progressive cities. It has a great night iife, lots and lots of shopping and can be affordable in the right area. The traffic sucks and it IS florida so there's that but it's not the worst place in FLA to live. All these people talking about the beach - it is expensive to live near the beach, even if you buy a trailer home.

by Anonymousreply 8August 22, 2020 1:39 PM

My mother lives outside Orlando. I love visiting because she's close enough to get to everything, but not right in the midst of crazy tourism.

Epcot is fun. Disney Springs if fun. The nightlife is a lot of fun, also. There's this crazy weird place called Parliament House which I've been to a few times - hard to describe - low rent, campy, bars, pool, and super seedy hotel built around the perimeter. There are drag shows and B-list celebrities (although we saw Cyndi Lauper perform there - is she B List?) .

I personally like amusement rides, so that's part of the fun, but it's tricky to find a time that's not super crowded with families.

by Anonymousreply 9August 22, 2020 1:44 PM

This stupidity should tell you everything you need to know about Orlando.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 22, 2020 1:50 PM

R6 Thats a sad picture. Feel bad for the babies sitting in the back seat.

by Anonymousreply 11August 22, 2020 1:55 PM

R10 that reminded me of a site that showed crazy tourism things from every state - it was actually interesting.

This doesn't look like the original one I saw, but funny anyway...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 22, 2020 1:55 PM

Here R12

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 22, 2020 2:05 PM

Orlando is a huge Puerto Rican hub. About 13% and growing of the population there is Puerto Rican.

by Anonymousreply 14August 22, 2020 2:13 PM

What are some nice areas of Orlando?

by Anonymousreply 15August 22, 2020 4:45 PM

R9 There's this crazy weird place called Parliament House which I've been to a few times - hard to describe - low rent, campy, bars, pool, and super seedy hotel built around the perimeter.

Ah yes, the hallowed halls of Parliament House. Where as a newly out 19 year old on spring break I got to experience the mind blowing sensation of my first DP. My hole thanks you Orlando and PH for expanding my sexual education and my tight teenage hole.

by Anonymousreply 16August 22, 2020 5:01 PM

R6 that’s a great photo, technically.

I recently watched a movie on Netflix about homeless people living in motels in Orlando. I cannot remember the name, but it was a great movie. Well made, very gritty and raw.

Other than that, I hate Orlando, and really not too fond of FL overall.

by Anonymousreply 17August 22, 2020 6:14 PM

Meth, racists, fat tourists; Orlando has EVERYTHING!

by Anonymousreply 18August 22, 2020 6:16 PM

Watch the movie "The Florida Project."

Tells u all u need to know about Orlando and Florida, and its not good.

by Anonymousreply 19August 22, 2020 6:25 PM

Mixed feelings about it. Those who think Orlando has a lot of bigots and racists will be outraged when they drive more North. The rural parts of Central and Northern Florida are a hotbed of the worst people you might ever meet.

by Anonymousreply 20August 22, 2020 6:28 PM

These two live there so Orlando does have its good side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 22, 2020 6:35 PM

I hate Orlando. I used to attend a conference that was so large it had to be held in either Orlando or Las Vegas. I spent all of my time outside the conference getting as far away from the Mouse House as possible. Way too many lowlifes and kids.

by Anonymousreply 22August 22, 2020 6:42 PM

Orlando still has some nice but very expensive areas and a lot to do, but no, not IN Orlando. Too much traffic and too much Disney and its progeny. Contrary to what someone said, there are still lots of affordable coastal areas in Florida. Not on the beach or in Miami but even going east from Orlando, Brevard County (Space Coast) and north and south from there is not overpriced. An hour drive to Orlando.

by Anonymousreply 23August 22, 2020 6:53 PM

I've had a lot of fun in Orlando. I'd go back.

by Anonymousreply 24August 22, 2020 6:55 PM

after you've done disney as a tourist (or worked there) and the beaches cocoa and daytona what else is there?

lived there 20 plus years ago and this is what i thought then and now... i wonder is OBT (orange blossom trail) still part residential and the other side of this very very long road filled with bars, strip clubs and general seediness?....

by Anonymousreply 25August 22, 2020 6:58 PM

Thank you R19. That was the movie I was trying to remember in R17.

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2020 4:59 PM

Always had mixed feeling about Orlando. I lived there several times,always had a blast (my god the fun I had at P House) but was never sad to leave . The traffic has been a nightmare for decades,the cost of living was super high , and you absolutely better have a decent job or you will sit at home a lot. It costs to do anything or go anywhere. The heat cant be mentioned enough. Im a native floridian and even I couldnt stand the heat there. There used to be a place called Church Street Station that was a blast to hang out at . I havent been to Orlando in 15 years now,but Ill always have fond memories.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2020 5:28 PM

You think the cost of living in Orlando is "super high" r27?

Compared to Mayberry I suppose compared to other cities it is pretty cheap.

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2020 5:44 PM

Anybody live there now?

by Anonymousreply 29August 24, 2020 3:14 AM

If you are set on central Florida give Winter Garden a try, it’s close enough to Orlando and is full of charm. Their historic downtown is a great place to go for a walk and be seen. They have a lovely Christmas laser light show that is projected onto the city hall building which is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 30August 24, 2020 2:51 PM

How does Orlando compare to Boca Raton? Does it look and feel similar? (I mean in the more suburban areas.)

by Anonymousreply 31August 24, 2020 2:57 PM

The first commenter and (next negative response also) nail it. I lived there nearly 3 years in the 80’s. More proof my mother went insane. Giantcockroaches. Wolf spiders big enough you hear their feet scuttle along on walls. Horrible greasy skiinks that eat roaches and spiders, bug can’t keep up. Fleas biting your legs in the yard, flies all day and mosquitoes at night. Damp. In. Everything. If you can’t afford to live east of A1A, or south of Tampa, north of thousand islands, you’re living in a 3rd world, sub-saharan jungle cattle ranch amongst toothless, larcenous crackers, West Indians, NY/NJ/PA exiles...Orlando’s like the Florida Project, screening free on kanopy.com. I recommend OP sees it.

by Anonymousreply 32August 24, 2020 3:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!