Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you like a pet monkey?

During this long self isolation I've become quite enamored with capuchin monkey videos on YouTube and Instagram. I imagine having my own monkey to dress up in little outfits and spoil rotten. Of course, I know they require a ton of attention and care, like having a permanent toddler. I am sure they can be very destructive if not properly trained, as well.

Have you ever known anyone with a monkey at home?

by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2020 5:31 PM

I have never known anyone with a monkey or any real exotic animal, but since this has began, I have fantasized about having a fox, not a live-in fox, but one with their own den to come out and play. They are fascinating to watch, and when they befriend a human, quite lovable!

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2020 8:16 PM

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but I saw a 20/20 episode years ago on small pet monkeys (they might have been capuchins) and the separation from their mother early on by breeders does massive emotional and psychiatric damage. They're meant to be around other monkeys. I would get a small dog instead.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2020 8:18 PM

I have a monkey suit if that helps. I am quite agile and naughty.

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2020 8:19 PM

Everybody's Got something to hide 'cept for me and my monkee...

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2020 8:22 PM

shitting all over the place? no.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2020 8:26 PM

Don’t they become aggressive and potentially violent unless they are neutered?

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2020 8:29 PM

My two sock monkeys keep me quite busy already. At least they're cute and don't fling their poop all that often.

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2020 8:31 PM

I don't think it's a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2020 8:33 PM

Would you name it Bubbles?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2020 8:35 PM

Years ago a friend's boyfriend's crazy mother had a pet monkey, I don't know what kind. She would dress it in baby clothes and push it around in a baby carriage in Target. People were quite startled when they bent over the carriage to admire the baby and found a monkey. I would have loved it though because baby monkeys are much cuter than baby people.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2020 8:36 PM

I don't fancy having my face ripped off, so no.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2020 8:36 PM

OP I sure hope you will read this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2020 8:40 PM

I know the link below is about a chimp (ape), not a monkey, but I would think the same applies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2020 8:41 PM

[quote] shitting all over the place? no.

They wear diapers!

I am sure they can get aggressive just like any other animal, and I wouldn't like to take a baby from its parents, so those are definitely things to consider.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2020 8:43 PM

Don’t you have any nieces or nephews that you can babysit?

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2020 8:44 PM

None that look like Nanette Fabray, r15.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2020 8:49 PM

Spider monkey's a really cute and they fit in your fanny pack!

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2020 9:01 PM

OP with his monkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2020 9:15 PM

There is a funny episode on Malcolm in the Middle where the weird neighbor gets a "Helping Hands Monkey" while he is temporarily disabled. It's a real thing!

Then, try to find "My Monkey Baby" which shows crazy fraus with monkeys that they dress up and treat like babies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2020 9:16 PM

They also masturbate constantly.

by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2020 9:18 PM

R20, Like the OP, so no harm done

by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2020 9:30 PM

OP-My favorite monkey in the world is MONKEY BOO he is a Black Capped Capuchin monkey on youtube. He is so cute and so smart.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2020 9:32 PM

No OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2020 9:34 PM

They have teeth and they will use them. Get a small dog instead. You will be the center of their tiny universe.

by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2020 9:40 PM

Monkeys are very intelligent for animals and get up to all sorts of mischief. They are like hairy two year old children left to their own devices. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2020 9:57 PM

R23 don’t know if I’d want to keep living after experiencing something like that. Wonder how that poor woman copes to the day to day, psychologically? It’s not like too many people can relate to her horror story.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2020 10:17 PM

In the original GOSSIP GIRL novels, campy mostly-gay villain Chuck Bass has a pet monkey - not sure if I’m remembering right but I think it’s an albino Capuchin - he dotes upon and dresses up, which he names Sweetie. When Chuck is shipped off to military school, his beloved Sweetie dies of neglect and abandonment. Her broken little heart can’t handle Chuck leaving, it’s sad.

In the show, however, Sweetie and her harrowing story arc was nowhere to be seen. Instead, we got this massive cop-out; a reformed antiheroic Chuck of later seasons gives in to tender feelings for family and unconditional love, so he acquires a rescue dog he names ‘Monkey’. The dog is adorable and clearly a good boy, but that is no substitute for the deliciously evil and gay choice of a shoulder-monkey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2020 10:24 PM

Stick to pets are truly domesticated. Like dogs, cats and rabbits.

by Anonymousreply 28August 17, 2020 10:27 PM

Remember, OP, that one day this monkey might be your master. Remember to treat him well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 17, 2020 10:33 PM

OP is Paris Hilton, using animals for amusement and accessories. Dressing them up? Really?

by Anonymousreply 30August 17, 2020 10:40 PM

I hope after you wrestle it into the bellhop costume you made for it, it goes into a rage and flings shit all over your house.

by Anonymousreply 31August 17, 2020 10:46 PM

Funny, I was just a talking about this the other day. When I was a child our across-the-street childless neighbors had a pet monkey. It was small, like a Capuchin, and was stinky and aggressive. i was afraid of it. I imagine they took great care of it but I don't remember them having it for long. It makes me sad to remember it.

People should not have exotic pets unless they have a lot of space and time for them.

by Anonymousreply 32August 17, 2020 10:50 PM

Not sure. They're so similar to humans.

by Anonymousreply 33August 17, 2020 11:08 PM

Hope you have nothing to hide, OP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 17, 2020 11:11 PM

No because they shit constantly and throw it when mad.

by Anonymousreply 35August 17, 2020 11:14 PM

Enamoured of.

by Anonymousreply 36August 17, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote]Have you ever known anyone with a monkey at home?

Madame has never owned or had relations with a monkey. You will please not call again.

by Anonymousreply 37August 17, 2020 11:35 PM

I can't fathom why someone would ever want to adopt a monkey, because it would basically be like adopting a child who's simultaneously profoundly mentally retarded, sociopathic, and bipolar all rolled into one toxic hot mess.

A big cat, I could understand. Aside from size and strength, big cats are temperamentally no different from small ones. But a monkey? Holy fucking god. Pure hell, for what would likely be the rest of your life, because there's a good chance a monkey adopted in middle age will outlive you.

by Anonymousreply 38August 17, 2020 11:36 PM

They shit everywhere!

by Anonymousreply 39August 17, 2020 11:46 PM

R38 - I doubt Roy would agree with you about the big cats.

by Anonymousreply 40August 18, 2020 1:34 AM

You would have to really commit to the bit with a shoulder-monkey.

We’re talking full villainous regalia; all dark colours and heavy luxe fabrics, buttoned-up, complete with cape, SS boots, and sword-cane. Hair-slicking recommended. Possibly one would have to don an eyepatch or face mask, to top it all off.

Of course, then the monkey’s outfit is free to offset this uniform. The more carnivalesque and lurid, the better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 18, 2020 2:05 PM

Too much at stake, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 18, 2020 5:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!