Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Phoenix family

From roving missionaries to Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199October 1, 2020 9:35 AM

It's strange how I keep almost forgetting that Joaquin is River's brother.

by Anonymousreply 1August 17, 2020 2:52 AM

Call me crazy, but I like this family.

by Anonymousreply 2August 17, 2020 2:55 AM

I wish it had been Joaquin instead of River

by Anonymousreply 3August 17, 2020 2:57 AM

Wow! I remember when that aired! I was in Jr. High and madly in love with River back then. I taped it and watched it over and over.

Looking at it in 2020, we can see that "Leaf" (Joaquin) grew up to look just like their dad.

Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 4August 17, 2020 3:03 AM

This was a family that River was supporting. His parents used to make him and his sister sing on the corner for change. They were in that cult called Children of God for a while too. Supposedly River was molested. But then they realized they can make more money in Hollywood. River was the breadwinner until he passed away. His agent paid for his funeral.

by Anonymousreply 5August 17, 2020 3:17 AM

River was a boring proto-DiCaprio. Yawn. The dusty losers who still harp on him are pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 6August 17, 2020 3:24 AM

Did the parents just shy away from the 9-5 thing? Like, that was for bougie sellouts?

by Anonymousreply 7August 17, 2020 3:28 AM

(R6) I disagree with you. Before the drugs. He was captivating. So handsome. Leo? Nothing captivating about that fat ass. Spends all his time on yachts with girls old enough to be his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 8August 17, 2020 3:29 AM

r3 How about it be you right now? Jackass.

by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2020 3:30 AM

They were hippies. I guess they figured they could make more money off their kids.

by Anonymousreply 10August 17, 2020 3:30 AM

I think River has a different dad than the rest of his siblings.

by Anonymousreply 11August 17, 2020 3:31 AM

River looks embarrassed to be in that interview with his parents. He keeps trying to turn and hide his face.

by Anonymousreply 12August 17, 2020 3:35 AM

It's too bad he couldn't have gotten into rehab. It sounded like he had a lot of enablers around him. Also he was the breadwinner. So they wanted him continue to work. He failed himself but a lot of people around him failed him too. Toward the end he was having a hard time getting roles. Everybody knew he was on drugs. His manager was constantly called on his movie sets because he was becoming so unreliable and couldn't say his lines.

by Anonymousreply 13August 17, 2020 3:51 AM

A lot of these showbiz families who whore out their kids are headed by absolutely awful and batshit parents. Joaquin is a terrific actor, and I thought River had a special quality, probably because they were so damaged. What about the sisters? Didn’t one marry a $cientologist?

by Anonymousreply 14August 17, 2020 3:59 AM

That mother is evil

by Anonymousreply 15August 17, 2020 4:12 AM

River always looked so sad and depressed. His mom was a typical stage mother but her hippy-dippy "peace and love" demeanor just makes her seem less of a bitch. River was forced into the showbusiness and supported his his parents and siblings. He kept doing it out of an obligation that no child/teen should have placed on them. His parents chose to be in a cult and have all those children, they should have been working their asses to support those kids. Anyway, River's true passion seemed to be music and also environmentalism/activism. Unlike other Hollywood stars, River appeared to have a real personality and would speak his mind. He was a beautiful man and very talented but unfortunately developed a nasty drug addiction that killed him.

by Anonymousreply 16August 17, 2020 4:17 AM

I think River, Joaquin and Rain are all talented individuals. River and Joaquin do resemble each other especially the eye shape and jawline. In large families, it is not uncommon for one of the children to have the recessive genes. Two dark-complected parents can easily have a fair-complected child due to carrying the recessive genes but two fair-complected parents cannot produce a darker child.

by Anonymousreply 17August 17, 2020 4:22 AM

I have no idea where, but I remember reading a batshit-crazy article in which his mother said River was chosen by god to deliver a message about the environment. River didn't want to do it — something she knew before he was even born — but eventually he said he would come for a couple of years and then go back.

Exhausted by arguing with a pre-embryo, god stated his boundaries and River begrudgingly agreed to come for twenty-three years, but no more than that. And thus he was born with a non-negotiable expiry date.

In other words, the family wasn't accepting any responsibility for any of it and she had already washed her hands of the whole mess.

by Anonymousreply 18August 17, 2020 4:44 AM

They all have that same breathy soft-spoken tone. Kinda reminds me of the Jackson family.

by Anonymousreply 19August 17, 2020 4:52 AM

1991 was the start of the end for River.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 17, 2020 5:33 AM

hippie family

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 17, 2020 5:52 AM

Leonardo DiCaprio would have happened with or without River being alive. People always make these guesses about things. Leo already had acclaim for Gilbert Grape and The Boys Life before River died. Just like how Jennifer Lopez was already involved with Anaconda prior to Selena and probably was casted in Out of Sight around that time too.

by Anonymousreply 22August 17, 2020 5:59 AM

Phoenix and Rain look like male/ female versions of each other.

by Anonymousreply 23August 17, 2020 6:01 AM

I found it. I was a little off.

[quote]Heart spoke, holding Rob Reiner’s hand for support. Her hopes for her son had always been on a wholly different plane than most stage mothers’. “We believed we could use the mass media to help change the world,” as Heart puts it now, “and that River would be our missionary.” She tried to explain that calling to the mourners, saying that she’d sensed from the beginning, as her labor extended to three and a half days, that River didn’t want to be in the world. She told how she had awoken two days after his death, understanding for the first time why dawn is called “mourning,” and suddenly had a vision of how God had tried to convince River to be born one more time. River told God, “I’d rather stay up here with you.” So they bargained, Heart said, smiling. God was persuasive, and River offered to go for five years, and then ten, and finally agreed to visit earth, but only for twenty-three years.

[quote]Heart then invited others to speak. After a few further testimonials, director John Boorman suddenly blurted out from the corner of the stage: “Is there anybody here who can tell us why River took all those drugs?”

[quote]The question quivered in the air. River’s young sisters, Liberty and Summer, ran out, and Heart looked astonished.

[quote]“John Boorman’s question was a good one,” Heart Phoenix says now.

[quote]“It’s what everyone was thinking. ‘Why, when you’re living this dream, when you can have any car, any house, any girl, you’re so famous—why? Why?’”

[quote]“The only understanding I can come to is that River knew the earth was dying and that he was ready to give his passing as a sign.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24August 17, 2020 6:07 AM

River's ex, Martha Plimpton basically said he was enabled by people in the industry and hated how he is being made a martyr because he had a serious drug problem. She seemed the only one with common sense around him.

by Anonymousreply 25August 17, 2020 6:11 AM

Rain seems well-adjusted and she is active in a lot of different things like music, charity and spreading positivity. Her IG account has a lot of tributes to River. Joaquin is messed up due to PTSD of seeing his brother die but I dont know why he still sticks in Hollywood. He could easily retire.

by Anonymousreply 26August 17, 2020 6:27 PM

Summer was married to Casey Affleck and they have two sons.

by Anonymousreply 27August 17, 2020 9:12 PM

Rivers vs. River. He always seemed 'off', like a foreigner. Odd to have missed so much of pop culture and then to be in the center of it, bewildered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28August 21, 2020 3:44 AM

German looking River must have a different bio dad, right? All his siblings look like their D-movie vampire looking dad.

by Anonymousreply 29August 21, 2020 3:49 AM

River resembles the mother, the rest of them the father. I think River was a much better actor than DiCaprio.

by Anonymousreply 30August 21, 2020 3:59 AM

No wonder Phoenix was so good in Running on Empty. He had sort of lived it.

by Anonymousreply 31August 21, 2020 4:38 AM

Any child who was part of the "Children of God" cult has got to be damaged in some way. Rose McGowan was also in the cult. Not saying you can't move past it, but it would involve years of professional help, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32August 21, 2020 4:43 AM

I love River Phoenix and thought he had a raw charisma and presence that was rare and almost unquantifiable. He was superb in Dogfight but more so in My Own Private Idaho. Just do an image search of his name. The camera fetishized him. Beautiful, compelling soul who achieved a degree of brilliance in his short life.

by Anonymousreply 33August 21, 2020 5:15 AM

He was probably sexually abused. His parents were those hippie types that set no boundaries and believed in "sexual liberation" even though kids are too young to understand and need to be protected from certain things. The fact they were in The Children of God cult which was run by a pedo and encouraged all kinds of disgusting things. And once they sex abuse victims older and understand what happened to them, they end up developing serious trust issues and self-loathing often blaming themselves for what happened to them and turning to drugs to self-medicate.

by Anonymousreply 34August 21, 2020 4:57 PM

He was probably sexually abused. His parents were those hippie types that set no boundaries and believed in "sexual liberation" even though kids are too young to understand and need to be protected from certain things. The fact they were in The Children of God cult which was run by a pedo and encouraged all kinds of disgusting things between adults and children. Once the sex abuse victims get older and understand what happened to them, they end up developing serious trust issues and self-loathing often blaming themselves for what happened to them and turning to drugs to self-medicate.

by Anonymousreply 35August 21, 2020 5:00 PM

It's possible that River had a different father. Children of God encouraged the women to be prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 36August 21, 2020 5:02 PM

R27 And Joaquin was instrumental in their breakup. Casey and Joaquin had a foursome together on set. I bet family holiday gatherings were interesting after that.

by Anonymousreply 37August 21, 2020 5:36 PM

I sat through this whole recut. James Franco has a hardon for dead hot young guys like James Dean, River and Brad Renfro.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 21, 2020 5:39 PM

This documentary explained the impact of River Phoenix's role in My Own Private Idaho on young gay and lesbian teens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 21, 2020 5:41 PM

His handlers were trying to groom him for those All American Boy roles, but he was just a wispy little blond hippie child. He had no acting training and it showed. I thought he was miscast as a soldier in "Dogfight"- no way. He kept growing his hair long and taking drugs to get out of the situation.

by Anonymousreply 40August 21, 2020 6:22 PM

"He had no acting training and it showed. "

Well perception is reality I guess, but most of Hollywood, and the world, disagreed. He was wonderful in Stand By Me.

And miscast as a soldier - in a movie about the Vietnam war when every type of kid was getting drafted? (not just the ones who fit the bill of "soldier"). OK, whatever Muriel.

by Anonymousreply 41August 21, 2020 7:13 PM

He was great in most of his films including Dogfight and Dark Blood. A lot of American actors don't have any formal training especially child/teen stars or the one's chosen for their looks like Cameron Diaz. That's why British and Aussie actors are preferred.

by Anonymousreply 42August 21, 2020 7:20 PM

I think a lot of people just have a soft spot for River Phoenix, which is understandable. (No puns intended.) Not sure if I'd say he was an acting genius. He died young and beautiful, so never grew old before our eyes like Madonna, Val Kilmer, Russell Crowe, etc.

by Anonymousreply 43August 21, 2020 7:39 PM

R26 Rain was also there when River died and she doesn't seem as messed up as Joaquin.

R37 Thats right, in the lawsuit they claimed Alffleck and Phoenix (brother inlaws) had sex with these two women they brought back 2 a house in Costa Rica while locking the two female crew members out of the room meant for them. That's only one story of many.

by Anonymousreply 44August 21, 2020 8:03 PM

Kind of reminds me of Macaulay Culkin's family.

by Anonymousreply 45August 21, 2020 9:55 PM

I want to hear more seedy drug gossip about River!

by Anonymousreply 46August 21, 2020 11:23 PM

There’s nothing more tedious than a professional child actor and their mannered pronunciation and self-conscious facial expressions. Who directed “Stand By Me”? Whoever it was, was able to get realistic performances out of those boys.

by Anonymousreply 47August 22, 2020 1:34 AM

Rob Reiner r47.

[quote] Rain was also there when River died and she doesn't seem as messed up as Joaquin.

I remember Joaquin made the 911 call and the news played it for days afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 48August 22, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote]I remember Joaquin made the 911 call and the news played it for days afterwards.

At the end of his Oscar speech when he brings up River's lyrics and he stumbles through it, I could just hear that scared 19 year old all over again.

by Anonymousreply 49August 22, 2020 2:24 AM

People blame Gus Van Sant for River's and Rodney Harvey's deaths. But both had issues prior to working with him. River was using drugs before but was more covert. The encouragement of drug use and method acting that Gus is known for though was not good for River and definitely exacerbated things.

by Anonymousreply 50August 22, 2020 3:16 AM

Real last name: Bottom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 22, 2020 3:52 AM

When did he first start taking heroin? And I read that he was clean on and off. True?

There was also a story that he was seen in a club injecting heroin with three other child stars.

by Anonymousreply 52August 22, 2020 8:49 AM

Did they ever actually live in Phoenix?

by Anonymousreply 53August 22, 2020 9:08 AM

I guess Liberty (the fourth kid you never hear about) really did make a good decision by staying away from show business. Anyway, their mom is still around being a woo woo hippie lady, and I think she’s the one mostly to blame for the family’s problems.

by Anonymousreply 54August 22, 2020 10:57 AM

How so R54?

by Anonymousreply 55August 22, 2020 1:15 PM

R55 I am not R54 but I think maybe the mom seemed in denial that River had a problem and she may have been partly to blame.

From what I've read he was an every day user, autopsy showed he wasn't. But 2 girlfriends, Martha Plimpton was one, said he went through periods where he took pills I think and also drank a lot, often with his dad. When they pointed out his hypocrisy he'd get mad. He also resented having to parent as his dad was an alcoholic & passed on responsibility he took on to his son.

by Anonymousreply 56August 22, 2020 2:18 PM

Sorry R56 here, I meant he was NOT an every day user.

by Anonymousreply 57August 22, 2020 2:22 PM

Liberty Phoenix has FIVE children!!

by Anonymousreply 58August 22, 2020 4:30 PM

His mother said River did drugs to protest what was being done to the environment! The woman is totally crazy.

by Anonymousreply 59August 22, 2020 4:37 PM

R58 Think mom's in denial? Well as I said 2 of his girlfriends said the father (who drank a lot) made him caretaker of too many things that were dad's responsibility. River resented that. They also said he would often talk in circles on the phone. 1989-1990?

by Anonymousreply 60August 22, 2020 5:11 PM

Rain x Joaquin do make a lovely couple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61August 22, 2020 8:54 PM

River spoke of being sexually abused as a toddler while his family was part of the Children of God cult. This cult encouraged incest and pedophilia. He said that he had his first sexual "experience" when he was four years old, so even he, for a time, could not describe it for what it really was: sexual abuse. He said in one interview that he was "I was completely celibate from 10 to 14". I mean, what?! It's a testament to his character that he became a kind and thoughtful adult, despite all his problems.

by Anonymousreply 62August 22, 2020 9:34 PM

Yeah they left the in 1977, he would have been in the age group to be assaulted.

by Anonymousreply 63August 22, 2020 10:28 PM

R62 They left the cult in1977 when the cult leader wanted the women to become prostitutes to gain converts. Too late for River.

by Anonymousreply 64August 22, 2020 10:35 PM

R62, so he was non-celibate when he was filming Stand by Me? I wonder if Wil Wheaton got some.

by Anonymousreply 65August 22, 2020 10:38 PM

Wonder if Rain escaped the COG abuse. I hope so, but if she didn’t it would explain an awful lot.

by Anonymousreply 66August 22, 2020 11:10 PM

Father and son are not related.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2020 2:35 AM

River could be a throwback recessive gene. He looks like his mom. But it's possible his dad isn't biological given the craziness of COG cult.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2020 2:47 AM

Is the dad still alive? I couldn’t find much info about him.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2020 11:11 AM

Joaquin took over supporting the family. Goes to awards with his mother. Emotional cripple.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2020 11:32 AM

R69 Last I heard the father took off, denounced the mother, and was living in a trailer somewhere in the backwoods. No idea of his whereabouts, or whether he has contact with the family (it would seem not).

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2020 11:46 AM

Wasn't River going to quit acting after he fulfilled his contract roles and live with his dad in Costa Rica?

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2020 1:48 PM

That mother is so phony with her Earth Mother shtick - she’s Jewish, from The Bronx and skipped out on her first husband (probably River’s bio Dad) to be a hippie “Christian Missionary”. She’s the driving force behind the whole Phoenix Happy family bullshit they marketed River as coming from. She’s psycho; the father just seemed like a weakling that went along with it, especially once the money started rolling in. He did have crazy eyes though.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2020 4:13 PM

Mental illness also runs in families. Both Mr. and Mrs. Phoenix seem to have more than a few screws loose which could also explain Joaquin.

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2020 4:25 PM

R51 Maybe I’m superstitious but I would think naming my kid a River Bottom - too prophetic

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote]There was also a story that he was seen in a club injecting heroin with three other child stars.

Yep.

River was joined by Vinnie from Doogie Howser, Wesley from Mr. Belvidere and Small Wonder's Vicki the Robot.

by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2020 5:01 PM

He died about three years ago, r69, but not without one final drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2020 7:14 PM

Family of creepy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2020 11:33 PM

R77 wow all I can say is wtf to that. What a psycho family, seems like drama follows them everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 79August 24, 2020 12:23 AM

River's death may have put him out of his misery honestly. With a family like that, he probably would have never gotten better.

by Anonymousreply 80August 24, 2020 12:31 AM

River would have been 50 years old today. I wonder what his life would have been if he would have lived. Hopefully he would have gotten out of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 81August 24, 2020 12:39 AM

Reportedly he had his first gay experience on Dog Fight. There's been blind items that he was seeing Courtney Love. He must have been doing drugs quite heavily at that time. To be with that train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 82August 24, 2020 12:43 AM

^^Courtney got a type!

by Anonymousreply 83August 24, 2020 12:51 AM

I thought he grew his hair long because someone told him he resembled 1987 era Sting with the awful floppy hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 24, 2020 12:55 AM

John the patriarch died a year or so ago. Joaquin was with him, he talked about it in a recent interview.

by Anonymousreply 85August 24, 2020 12:56 AM

River looking like 1987 Sting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86August 24, 2020 12:56 AM

It would be interesting to know what the tipping point was for the father walking out, and if he could still look his kids in the eye as adults, considering the whole incest thing.

by Anonymousreply 87August 24, 2020 1:00 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 24, 2020 1:06 AM

Joaquin is his father's clone.

by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2020 1:09 AM

Father seemed to care about River at least. I forgot where I heard this but apparently he encouraged River to quit showbusiness and come live with him at his farm in Costa Rica and River was considering it after he finished the roles he was contracted to play.

by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2020 1:10 AM

( R90) how would he be able to do that when he was supporting his entire family. And drugs aren't cheap, which he was not going to give up. I can't remember what old child star it was. Actually went up to River's house and tried to get him to go into rehab. He told him he was a vegetarian so why would he put drugs in his body. And shut the door in his face. He had chances, sadly he didn't take them.

by Anonymousreply 91August 24, 2020 1:15 AM

R91 True he was stuck in a difficult situation. His mother didn't seem to care about his addiction or in deny, I'm sure Rain and Joaquin were aware but may have enabled him. Liberty and Summer were still kids, so needed to be supported.

by Anonymousreply 92August 24, 2020 1:20 AM

None of the children resemble one another.

by Anonymousreply 93August 24, 2020 1:20 AM

Joaquin and Casey no longer speak. Their friendship always seemed more like a rivalry. Casey was Joaquin's tag-a-long ever since To Die For. There were a ton of rumors about Casey and Rooney Mara when they did their first movie together, when he was still married to Summer. But I think she always wanted/was in love with Joaquin since "Her".

I think Casey was always jealous of/wanted to be Joaquin, and was trying to ruin him with I'm Still Here so he can take his career. Him winning an Oscar first seemed like an Eve Harrington moment. but Joaquin, who never campaigned for awards, decided he wanted to win too. Joker reaffirmed that he's the bigger star. The Academy was always just waiting for him to admit that he wanted an Oscar, then quickly gave it to him. Casey hasn't done much at all since his Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 94August 24, 2020 1:24 AM

Really R93? Aside from River, the other four siblings look like clones of their Dad. Joaquin and Rain look like male/female versions of each other. River was the gorgeous oddball. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a different bio dad.

by Anonymousreply 95August 24, 2020 1:36 AM

The family looks Mediterranean and Jewish while River looks Eastern European.

by Anonymousreply 96August 24, 2020 1:39 AM

They're Hungarian Jews on the mother's side.

by Anonymousreply 97August 24, 2020 1:40 AM

Vegans who abuse drugs are weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 98August 24, 2020 1:41 AM

Imagine if their mom wasn't a psycho and denounced her Jewish faith for some extremely twisted cult version of Christianity. They could have been raised with liberal Jewish values of social responsibility, charity, high education obtainment and self-discipline. River and his siblings would probably would have prospered better under that. Though none of them would have been born either as I believe she met their dad in the Children of God cult.

by Anonymousreply 99August 24, 2020 1:47 AM

She met John Bottom while hitchhiking. Before that she was a secretary in NY and married to another man.

by Anonymousreply 100August 24, 2020 1:50 AM

She roomed with Penny Marshall when she first came to L.A.

by Anonymousreply 101August 24, 2020 1:51 AM

Re: 94 Can I ask where you get your information? Very strange post about something you know nothing about

by Anonymousreply 102August 24, 2020 1:55 AM

r102 Joaquin confirmed himself he doesn't speak to Casey anymore.

by Anonymousreply 103August 24, 2020 2:02 AM

River inherited the same lazy eye his father had. Also I saw a photo of the father once in shorts. They have the same legs.

by Anonymousreply 104August 24, 2020 2:03 AM

R98 Not all vegans eat that way for health reasons. I’m an ethical vegan, I avoid animal products because I don’t want to contribute to animal suffering. I still eat junk food and drink on occasion.

by Anonymousreply 105August 24, 2020 2:03 AM

I’m glad Joaquin quit Casey.

by Anonymousreply 106August 24, 2020 2:35 AM

r106 I agree. He's always going to be a weirdo, but he seems to be in a very good place since he ended their friendship. I wonder what he'll be like as a father.

by Anonymousreply 107August 24, 2020 2:40 AM

Is Rooney pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 108August 24, 2020 2:42 AM

Yes their baby is coming soon.

by Anonymousreply 109August 24, 2020 2:44 AM

Joaquin shouldn't procreate. I can't see him being paternal but that's what nannies are for I guess

by Anonymousreply 110August 24, 2020 4:24 AM

Happy birthday River. We are both turning 50 this year. Wish you could been middle-aged with me. Beautiful man who I have never forgotten.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111August 24, 2020 4:25 AM

Joaquin was actually really attractive in To Die For. He and River do favor each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 24, 2020 4:26 AM

He and River have the same eye shape, eye color and jawline.

by Anonymousreply 113August 24, 2020 4:29 AM

R77 I think that's the biggest story on this thread, reveals who this family really are. When I became aware of it I quickly realized why it never caught fire. Someone who supported Emma and Hope claimed the site was threatened, even mentioned death threats.

Joaquin Pheonix has a very young half sister Hope Phoenix Morris. Born in Costa Rica. I take it Hope's mother who's English and father who called himself Juan Phoenix had a nasty bustup 2012.

Anyway comments on the petition claimed the child was essentially kidnapped by the father and given to Liberty Phoenix. The family made false claims against the mother, but she complied with psychological testing and extensive substance abuse tests and came up clean.

But no one in the Phoenix family was tested for fitness in any way. I learned that Costa Rica is a rat's nest of child trafficking and corruption. Probably easy to bribe authorities. Assuming you have the money.

To make matters worse the one person that posted on behalf of Juan on the petition gave a document signed by is disbarred lawyer and a sex offender! And I've heard Juan was an alcoholic.

by Anonymousreply 114August 24, 2020 5:38 AM

Anyway it's easy to see why Joaquin wasn't phased about sticking his willie out in the same room as his brother in law for a romp while depriving two women employees of a good night's sleep and degrading them. The whole family feels entitled to do whatever they want and don't wrestle with guilt.

Joaquin said he and Casey split because his sister divorced him, NOT because of moral issues or bad influence. At least Casey did eventually admit they crossed the line and there was a fuck load of partying- they were up to some shit.

by Anonymousreply 115August 24, 2020 5:51 AM

r115 Summer and Casey divorcing doesn't explain the end of their friendship. Obviously, there was much more to it.

by Anonymousreply 116August 24, 2020 6:13 AM

Happens a lot R116.. Even happens among friends who don't feel comfortable with one party or the other after the split for whatever reasons. Absolutely happens with divorces. I doubt it was Summer's bro suddenly getting a case of the guilts.

by Anonymousreply 117August 24, 2020 6:20 AM

In addition maybe Summer finally woke the fuck up and punched her brother in the face.

by Anonymousreply 118August 24, 2020 6:54 AM

Summer seems like she medicates heavily to cope with how crazyflakes her older brother & sister have become.

She’s rolling on that joint podcast she did with the two of them about six months ago, and doesn’t seem as if she likes them either.

Rain & Joaquin have this bizarre twin-telepathy thing going on. Trauma-bonding? Or something else?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119August 24, 2020 11:16 AM

That podcast, made in a rented room, was boring as shit.

by Anonymousreply 120August 24, 2020 12:39 PM

Woah R67 that tripped me out. I thought that was Joaquin with River at first.

by Anonymousreply 121August 24, 2020 12:39 PM

R93 Joaquin and Rain look a lot alike. Just look at op’s photo- you could almost think it’s Joaquin in the green sweater not Rain.

Here’s another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122August 24, 2020 1:44 PM

Were it not for lucky breaks in child-acting, these are a family who would be running the local grungy healthfood-cum-alternative-medicine store in Venice. The locals all know and slightly fear the family, who talk a lot about karma with sinister insular tones and smell like they possibly sleep in dog blankets. Maybe in the mid-late nineties Dad also ventures into a side-hustle running an anarchist bookstore that also sells porn, but the Internet puts that out of business with a quickness.

The kids all grow up as grommets - Joaquin & Rain surf like it’s religion, while Summer & Liberty attach themselves to skateboards - and they all drop out of school early in protest when they discover Buddhist philosophy at the same time (like the Glass family in Salinger). By College age they abandon that idea, however, to take over the store when Dad leaves to shack up with a bored but tight and wealthy yoga Mom from Trousdale, and Mom can’t deal.

At first most of the family suit the low-achieving beachy lifestyle well enough and get enough culture messing with tourists or reading weird books, but being a beautiful gay man with a tortured soul the restless and mopey River needs more. So, he takes off on his bike when he hits thirty. After a good few years burning rubber he comes to a willing stop to be with an older man he meets at Burning Man, and they end up making it work as a couple with adopted kids, in a sustainable Earth-friendly collective in Puerto Rico. The other Phoenixes only hear from him at the holidays via a phone-call or a postcard when he remembers.

As the years go by in Venice, the others give it a shot working together for the long haul, but eventually Summer becomes frustrated and depressed. She tries going it alone as a tattoo artist, but fails out when she realises she doesn’t have the drive or the talent. Her money-management and timekeeping skills even let her down when she runs a craft-fair table selling tie-dye. She then gets too far in with an acid crowd and disappears one night on Van Nuys never to be found.

Liberty on the other hand secretly goes to night-school to study nursing, quietly resentful of her siblings’ listless existence. After moving away to put in late shifts at USC General, she meets a doctor who takes her under his wing. Eventually she marries him and turns yuppie housefrau, glad of the escape from the L.A. underbelly.

Eventually the store is put out of commission by a Whole Foods moving in on the outskirts of the neighbourhood, and by a failed inspection from the County Dept. of Public Health who discover rats and mold on the premises. Just a couple of years later, Mom passes with modest fanfare like any respectable granola crone, and all the local freaks & hippies slouch their way to the beach to pay their respects with Kum-By-Ya and plenty of ecstatic dance. Rain & Joaquin are the only ones of her kids in attendance. Despite their gloomy prospects, they smile at each other through the billows of incense around the eco-friendly funeral pyre, and rest their joined hands over Rain’s womb where their son is growing ever bigger. The beach grows dark and the waves rumble like a distant engine.

by Anonymousreply 123August 24, 2020 1:54 PM

r122. Rain is Joaquin in wide screen HD ..and a frock.

by Anonymousreply 124August 24, 2020 2:10 PM

Casey's cheated on his sister. I could see why Joaquin would want nothing to do with him. I'm glad Casey has disappeared for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 125August 24, 2020 2:50 PM

That podcast is nonsensical

by Anonymousreply 126August 24, 2020 2:57 PM

R125 Phoenix was with Casey for months and not only watched him cheat over and over but cheated with him while having group sex. I think Casey fucks as many women as he can. Joaquin knew all about him, known him and Antony for years, and doesn't give a shit, has no problem joining in.

I think I the public doesn't know half of what celebrities are really like.

by Anonymousreply 127August 24, 2020 3:09 PM

Joaquin probably supports Summer financially so of course she forgave him. I think he got her a new place to live after the divorce.

by Anonymousreply 128August 24, 2020 3:17 PM

Liberty had a son that died as a toddler, I think his name was Indigo. I heard her on a podcast; she said how he got sick from the chemicals in the carpet in their home - she then started an organic carpet company or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 129August 24, 2020 3:21 PM

R129 huh? Was the kid licking or munching on the carpet daily? Did he sleep it on it with no crib or covers? How does a child ingest so much poison from a floor?

Rumor was that Rain had a son when she was a young woman (around 19 or 20) who was given up for adoption. It’s said that his name is Winter, and he’d be around 30 now.

by Anonymousreply 130August 24, 2020 3:26 PM

For a family of so-called progressives, it’s weird that they all lean so heavily on the only present surviving male for support - particularly as said patriarch is not entirely stable or morally on the up and up.

by Anonymousreply 131August 24, 2020 3:27 PM

r129 The day after winning the Oscar, Joaquin visited a farm and rescued a cow and her calf and named them Liberty and Indigo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132August 24, 2020 3:30 PM

(R129) What? Was she even watching her kid? Just when I think that family can't get any weirder. If I was Joaquin would cut them all off. Make them support themselves for once.

by Anonymousreply 133August 24, 2020 3:31 PM

Ok found it, she said he died of pneumonia due to a weakened immune system from the chemicals in the carpet that he was severely allergic to. That’s the story she’s telling, at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134August 24, 2020 3:44 PM

This family is a bunch of nutcases. I am a big old liberal, but god, people like the Phoenix clan. Their son is a in-denial drug addict (Joaquin probably was as well, plus alcohol), whom they did not help, and they still primarily care about the planet, the Amazon and animals.

by Anonymousreply 135August 24, 2020 4:19 PM

R119 Long winded but I can say I found some of it interesting. However when Summer talks about not judging people as good or bad I can see where people like them can get into trouble. Verbage seems to be masking a sloppy even dangerous interpretation.

No doubt many if not most people have good sides, acknowledge it. Fine. It doesn't mean they're all healthy to be around for long stretches, or that you can fix them.

Makes you wonder what kind of woke parents with woke values would produce kids like Summer and Joaquin who with all the people they meet they choose Affleck to not only fuck but marry and spend 6 months working on a project. Personality that would be intolerable for most people.

Learning about Juan Phoenix and how he treated Hope and Emma fills in some blanks. They believe in amorality. Human life is cheap, if said human gets in the way. They say one thing, do another.

I can see how these people can easily tip into criminal behavior. Or is it the rich in general.

by Anonymousreply 136August 24, 2020 4:39 PM

It gets plenty weirder. Rumor has it the son Rain gave up for adoption was fathered by Joaquin.

by Anonymousreply 137August 24, 2020 4:44 PM

That sounds extreme R137 where did you hear that one? Rain was married to a guy for 5 years although it was well after Jonas Winter Phoenix was born.

by Anonymousreply 138August 24, 2020 4:52 PM

It's been around for years. We've discussed it before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 24, 2020 5:14 PM

The Phoenix clan remind me of the Joyce Carol Oates story "Family."

by Anonymousreply 140August 24, 2020 5:31 PM

Joaquin also had cleft palate.

by Anonymousreply 141August 24, 2020 5:46 PM

R139 Thanks however the thread doesn't where the rumor came from.

by Anonymousreply 142August 24, 2020 5:46 PM

R138 I’ve also heard that Rain & Joaquin have a sexual and romantic relationship, many a time before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 24, 2020 5:47 PM

It's like Flowers in the Attic but without the beautiful people.

by Anonymousreply 144August 24, 2020 5:49 PM

Thanks R143 no names mentioned but who knows... btw Joaquin was out of the cult before he was 4 so I don't think he was abused there. I think shit parenting probably had more to do with why he and Affleck were abusive.

by Anonymousreply 145August 24, 2020 5:54 PM

R130 actually some carpets do contain toxic chemicals, been known for a long time. You inhale it. I worked in an office where I could taste the chemical from the water in the cooler. Some may be more sensitive than others. But I believe it could be damaging to an infant.

If you want fault Liberty for anything blame her for going along with her father in snatching her half sister Hope away from her mom. God knows probably the whole family supported their alcoholic father with that.

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2020 6:59 PM

Reminds me of the movie Safe with beloved Julieanne Moore, creepy AF!

by Anonymousreply 147August 24, 2020 7:25 PM

The mother and father are useless. They never made any money and used the children at all times after birth to be lil earners. They couldn't even own a business, they are such lazy bastards. They joined a cult to take care of them. The cult was sexually abusive and preached sex with babies. They stayed in the cult until they found a better earning situation. So them the kids sang on the streets and begged. The family is dysfunctional. The drugs and liquor are a way to function for all of them. Joaquin made a documentary with Afflek that showed his own decline. Tried not to hide it. Then, he ran back to mom. She goes to awards with him. She is always there. Exploiting as she encourages him in animals rights. Animals have always been a creepy thing they go on about. The torture of animals....the mother wants them to be HER little soldiers. All are useless except for pimped out Joaquin.

by Anonymousreply 148August 24, 2020 7:34 PM

R148 It was the kids that wanted the rents w go veggie, parents were meat eaters. Think the dad had some restaurant of something in Costa Rica. I think Rain and River were the only ones likely to have been abused. They got out before the others were old enough.

by Anonymousreply 149August 24, 2020 7:48 PM

Businesses don’t count when your children finance them.

by Anonymousreply 150August 24, 2020 9:16 PM

R148 amazing analysis. That is exactly the core problem with the family dynamic.

This is why it wouldn’t surprise me if there were some sibling incest afoot. When children are forced to step into the role of the provider-caregiver, then mentally they make the mental & psychological switch to the role of their own ‘parents’ - long before they are mature enough, and before they have the chance to grow up and go off to find their own partner outside the family with whom to mate and procreate.

With River gone and Dad split and Mom not solvent or working, traumatised and uneducated Rain & Joaquin became the de facto heads of the family and took on the role of ‘Mom & Dad’ to the younger sibling and even their infant nephews & nieces.

by Anonymousreply 151August 24, 2020 9:28 PM

Heart Phoenix remarried to a man half her age.

by Anonymousreply 152August 24, 2020 9:40 PM

Joaquin had given up acting before River died. Shortly afterwards he got the part in To Die For and became the family breadwinner.

by Anonymousreply 153August 25, 2020 2:21 AM

"Joaquin took over supporting the family. Goes to awards with his mother. Emotional cripple."

Interesting that most of his movie characters are mental.

by Anonymousreply 154August 25, 2020 3:18 AM

In his Oscar winning role he played a man who was abused and manipulated by his mother whom he murders.

by Anonymousreply 155August 25, 2020 3:21 AM

I wonder if the scenes of performing on street corners brought back bitter memories?

by Anonymousreply 156August 25, 2020 3:22 AM

Well even if he is haunted by memories. does that completly absolve him in his part in abuse (even if he was more an observer than the others he still took part) or his complicity in what his dad did in Costa Rica? Even if Liberty was more directly involved, his silence (if not funds) helped cover it up.

by Anonymousreply 157August 25, 2020 11:19 AM

r157 FFS, everything is "abuse" with you people.

by Anonymousreply 158August 25, 2020 2:34 PM

I introduce to you..... the speakers for the 2024 Republican National Convention in Branson, Missouri!

by Anonymousreply 159August 25, 2020 2:54 PM

R158 You mean like kidnapping (hopefully attempted kidnapping). Or a director telling a faux assistant to stick out his cock for fun and games even after the of the target of the hilarity protested- and calling THAT abuse? CRAZY!

by Anonymousreply 160August 25, 2020 3:16 PM

r160 None of which Joaquin did. The only thing he was even mentioned in regards to I'm Still Here is the group sex thing. That's a jerk thing to do (if it even happened), but it's not "abuse". You sound weirdly invested.

by Anonymousreply 161August 25, 2020 3:34 PM

Because Republicans have a sterling record advocating for women's, employees, LBGTQs, children's rights, well human rights generally.

by Anonymousreply 162August 25, 2020 3:36 PM

Yes he is mentioned in the suit (Costa Rica incident) even though the suit is against Affleck. As director he was responsible for conduct. Also he watched the behavior and didn't move to stop it. You are either invested in protecting this crap, or is it Hollywood in general? or you didn't bother to read the suit.

by Anonymousreply 163August 25, 2020 3:45 PM

r163 Didn't Affleck claim to have E-Mail evidence that proved he was being extorted? After he claimed that, the women immediately settled out of court. You, nor I, have any idea what actually happened.

by Anonymousreply 164August 25, 2020 4:46 PM

Doubt it but a lot of this shits been covered up thread, he admitted 2 it basically.

by Anonymousreply 165August 25, 2020 5:10 PM

Straight women are crazy about Joaquin in their droves even knowing all this disturbing intel about his sex life. Must be the ‘wounded bird’ gambit on his side.

by Anonymousreply 166August 25, 2020 5:13 PM

Haven't run into the women crushes but a guy friend crushed on.him for a bit. I knew women who liked DiCzprio when he was young. And tons lusting after Depp.

by Anonymousreply 167August 25, 2020 6:40 PM

Did the fraus figure out it wasn't that Joaquin is in2 group sex, (that's fine, not a "jerk thing" if ur in2 it) but that he locked 2 women that worked for him out of their bedroom? Plus his bestie is an abusive mother fucker, what does that say about him? Fan gurls!

by Anonymousreply 168August 25, 2020 11:57 PM

According to Joaquin, he and Casey Affleck aren't close anymore, and he has regrets about having enabled Casey back when he was a serial sex pest, so his fraus have forgiven him, because he said sorry so nicely.

by Anonymousreply 169August 26, 2020 12:07 AM

I'm sure those women are still utterly traumatized out of being locked out of a room as they count the settlement money.

by Anonymousreply 170August 26, 2020 12:29 AM

Joaquin looks like his father.

by Anonymousreply 171August 26, 2020 12:42 AM

Rich people nearly always settle or else more dirt gets exposed. Like Johnny.Depp. Stop making excuses for men who abuse women that wont suck their dicks.

by Anonymousreply 172August 26, 2020 12:51 AM

r172 = Rose McGowan

by Anonymousreply 173August 26, 2020 1:06 AM

All I read was he said that he doesn't always speak out enough. But since he was a party to it and I gather knew them well before, he was cool w it ,not just enabling. "Enabler" is a get out of jail free card once they got caught.

by Anonymousreply 174August 26, 2020 1:09 AM

Not surprising look how the father treated his not rich not powerful baby mama.

by Anonymousreply 175August 26, 2020 1:13 AM

Not surprising look how the father treated his not rich not powerful baby mama.

by Anonymousreply 176August 26, 2020 1:13 AM

R175 Agreed, very heartless, selfish and cruel.

by Anonymousreply 177August 26, 2020 1:17 AM

R177 I think this family gets boners torturing people they feel are beneath them or threaten their egos. Bunch of cruel entitled frat boys.

by Anonymousreply 178August 26, 2020 1:36 AM

Here's an article that makes similar points that people have made here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179August 27, 2020 2:35 PM

River said he was molested when he was he was a child, most likely by one of the cult members.

by Anonymousreply 180August 27, 2020 2:37 PM

r179 Linking to TheMarySue? Ok, Frau.

r180 River said a lot of bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 181August 27, 2020 7:08 PM

R181 River said a lot of BS to the media to keep them confused and guessing, but I believe the molestation story. He had said it once in an interview in an unguarded moment, but apparently his former girlfriend Martha Plimpton said he had confided that to her as well.

by Anonymousreply 182August 27, 2020 11:01 PM

River was like some beautiful fair prince born into an ugly and rotten family who sacrificed him to the dragon for wealth and fortune.

by Anonymousreply 183August 28, 2020 5:10 AM

r183 FFS, stop putting this guy on a pedestal.

by Anonymousreply 184August 28, 2020 5:48 AM

As the Mara-Phoenix baby is going to be announced at any second now, I think DL should help them pick a name. It will have to reference 'River' in some way lest we ever be allowed to forget the little boy who was sent by Jesus to save the planet.

I like 269 Manifestation Kāniwhaniwha. The latter adds a touch of creepiness as it refers to a deep, dark, churning hole in a riverbed. 269 is the ear-tag number of an iconic calf rescued from a factory farm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185August 28, 2020 6:48 AM

Vanity projects of the rich when they're not "saving the earth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186August 28, 2020 10:47 AM

Looks like the chicks who worked on I'm Still Here have invaded this thread.

by Anonymousreply 187August 28, 2020 5:52 PM

I’m confused even after the reading the story, Joaquin and Casey locked themselves in the girl’s bedroom to have sex together and the girls are suing?

by Anonymousreply 188August 28, 2020 6:06 PM

No they either asked fan bots over or hired a couple of hookers so the brother in laws could have sex in the same bedroom with them. The room they used was supposed to be for the sole two women employees. A bunch of other shit too.

by Anonymousreply 189August 28, 2020 6:45 PM

My thoughts are with the third generation. How do Liberty’s passel of children cope with this absurdity? Do they get bullied at school? Or is it a something that gets them kudos?

by Anonymousreply 190August 30, 2020 12:29 PM

R137 is procreation between siblings illegal in the jurisdiction of the State(s) in which the Phoenix family reside?

Not an American myself, so I don't know the intricacies of U.S. law vis-a-vis knocking up one's sister. If Joaquin really did it and he has an incestuous son wandering around somewhere, isn't that a potential prison sentence waiting to happen?

by Anonymousreply 191September 1, 2020 12:18 AM

Watch the family interview again and pay attention to the father's eyes. They are widening, darting around, also he is not smiling at all. They were pimping their kids. Also that looks alike a commercial stove. Why - did they raise the kids in a restzurant?

by Anonymousreply 192September 1, 2020 4:51 AM

Are producing children of incest really a crime people go to prison for? Maybe if there was rape involved. Sounds like another Phoenix child mystery. Maybe an affair Rain had? She was married for a while afterwards.

Last thing the world needs is more millionaires having babies. Name suggestions for any new Phoenix arrivals....

How about keeping it in the family. EMMA for a girl and MORRIS for a boy!

by Anonymousreply 193September 1, 2020 10:58 AM

I still miss River and often think what would've become of him had he lived. Too many people made mistakes that night. It could've been prevented had he gotten help and the right people around him. You can blame River for taking the drugs but he was a young actor in Hollywood, which he didn't even enjoy, to provide for a whole ass family while still being mentally fucked from his childhood in a cult. He also probably didn't know what was in the drink John Frusciante (or Johnny Depp, if you wanna go there) gave him or that it could kill him. And everyone around him enabling him just for the sake of keeping the checks coming in.

Just sad and tragic overall. RIP River.

by Anonymousreply 194September 23, 2020 4:58 PM

Joaquin in 1998. Other than maybe the Walk the Line period, this was his prime. This is probably the nicest and most relaxed he's ever been in an interview as well.

Rooney had the baby according to new pap photos (no baby in them, just obvious she's already given birth). I wonder if they gave it a ridiculous name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195September 25, 2020 6:22 AM

Rooney gave birth to a boy. They've named him River, reportedly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 28, 2020 4:51 AM

R132 Not only a disturbing display hypocrisy but also the epitome of entitlement of the rich to mourn a calf being cruelly torn away from it's mother but not his half sister Hope a toddler ripped away from her mom Emma. The guy seems unconscious.

by Anonymousreply 197September 28, 2020 12:05 PM

Their newborn's name is River Phoenix? That's putting a lot of weight on that child.

by Anonymousreply 198October 1, 2020 12:21 AM

I think there are other reasons to worry about the kid- read the thread.

by Anonymousreply 199October 1, 2020 9:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!