Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Meg Ryan

Hollywood's new white-hot pouty-mouthed ingenue is setting Tinseltown ablaze!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 28, 2020 12:30 PM

Pure. Sex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 15, 2020 2:26 AM

I don't like her hair or makeup in either of those photos. She was adorable in WHEN HARRY MET SALLY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 15, 2020 2:33 AM

A slightly boyish quality to her. Never a sex bomb or a classic beauty, but cute and appealing.

She really had a great, expressive face until she started fucking with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 15, 2020 2:36 AM

When Nora Ephron made the comment that she couldn't use certain actresses anymore because they had ruined their face, she was talking about Meg.

by Anonymousreply 4August 15, 2020 2:37 AM

Oh lord.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2020 2:39 AM

Remember how miscast she was as me in THE DOORS?

by Anonymousreply 6August 15, 2020 2:45 AM

Meg and Sally Hershberger, her former lesbian hairstylist, who mutually chomped down on each other's boxes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 15, 2020 2:45 AM

Love her!

by Anonymousreply 8August 15, 2020 2:47 AM

What is the deal with Meg, sexually?

A DLer has posted about Dennis Quaid being infamously closeted, which I'd never heard before. Couldn't tell if they were joking or not. But anything is possible.

Meg sometimes gave off a subtle but strong soft-butch energy.

by Anonymousreply 9August 15, 2020 2:50 AM

PRELUDE TO A KISS was a charming, if slight, little movie. But she and Alec Baldwin have probably both never been more attractive on film, really at the height of their individual beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 15, 2020 2:52 AM

I wish she had grown older gracefully, or at least just tweaked herself here and there ever so cautiously. It hurts to look at her these days.

by Anonymousreply 11August 15, 2020 3:35 AM

She seems like her beef curtains would be firm to the touch.

by Anonymousreply 12August 15, 2020 3:51 AM

She has deep dark mother issues that I want to know more about.

Loved her in Joe Vs the Volcano.

Did she and Hanx fuck?

Suddenly I’m picking up on the lez vibe, now that it’s been mentioned upthread.

by Anonymousreply 13August 15, 2020 3:54 AM

Hmmm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 15, 2020 4:00 AM

okay, I think the previous pic was doctored. Here's a different take.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 15, 2020 4:04 AM

Was it true, Dennis cheated on her, before she cheated on him with Russell?

by Anonymousreply 16August 15, 2020 4:22 AM

Easy. She could only be cute. The Julia tsunami came in and knocked her out of what Hollywood was trying to do with her. Someone else became more profitable doing the same thing better.

by Anonymousreply 17August 15, 2020 4:27 AM

Meg is/was a much more gifted comic actor than Julia Roberts. A much lighter, more spontaneous touch.

I never found Julia particularly funny, even in her biggest hits.

by Anonymousreply 18August 15, 2020 4:38 AM

Julia's comedic instincts were always pretty good. Julia's comic gifts were with reactions. Can always lift a comedic moment with a sharp reaction.

by Anonymousreply 19August 15, 2020 4:42 AM

Julia’s actually a much better actress, I know that’s not a popular opinion around here. She was also (even when she was starving and skinny), always a “woman,” both physically and in terms of her aura/personality, not a girl/waif. Fans here much more willing to accept that kind of a movie star/personality getting older.

by Anonymousreply 20August 15, 2020 4:58 AM

I liked her as the lush mom in "When a Man Loves a Woman".

Wonder if she had any Andy Garcia daddy dick. They both looked really good then. I'd have done him in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 21August 15, 2020 5:04 AM

She was a huge star around the time when Billy Crystal was considered a Hollywood heartthrob. Were we all on one big, collective drug trip back then?

by Anonymousreply 22August 15, 2020 5:11 AM

But Billy and Meg just had great chemistry in When Harry Met Sally. I had more of an issue with the age difference, but it didn't really matter because they worked so well together.

Meg showed so much promise in her early years - Top Gun, Innerspace, DOA, When Harry Met Sally, Joe vs. the Volcano. She was fun and quirky like Melanie Griffith but she became a romantic comedy lead and I don't think she was ever comfortable with it.

It's such a shame what she did to her face.

by Anonymousreply 23August 15, 2020 6:47 AM

Aw Meg’s a cutie. She was really funny in “French Kiss” with Kevin Kline.

by Anonymousreply 24August 15, 2020 6:59 AM

Meg's big break was in Top Gun. People talked as much about her in that movie as anyone else when it was in theaters.

"Take me to bed or lose me forever" is still repeated.

by Anonymousreply 25August 15, 2020 6:52 PM

I like Billy Crystal but didn't think he was suited for the Harry role, which was based on Rob Reiner's womanizing days. A bigger, more bearish actor would have been more believable as a guy who had sex with a lot of women in New York.

by Anonymousreply 26August 15, 2020 6:57 PM

Rob Reiner had womanizing days? What women? What planet?

by Anonymousreply 27August 15, 2020 7:05 PM

R27 he produced, directed and cast a movie called "When Harry Met Sally" all about those days. Maybe you've heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 28August 15, 2020 7:15 PM

They don't make her brand of adult, meet-cute romantic comedies these days that are more earnest and charming, rather than overtly comedically funny, although 'When Harry Met Sally' was genuinely humorous without trying too hard. I agree with the poster who mentioned Julia Roberts as being the better actress. Julia definitely had/s more range than Meg and was/is more believable in different types of roles. Meg never really successfully transitioned into more serious fare and I don't think audiences were willing to buy her as anything other than sweet and cute.

by Anonymousreply 29August 15, 2020 7:23 PM

Her only decent performance since "When Harry Met Sally" is "Addicted to Love" with Matthew Broderick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30August 15, 2020 7:27 PM

Her background : mother Tippi Hedten, classic beauty talented actress . After The Birds and a few Hitchcock movies, was famously blacklisted for not fucking Hitchcock.

Melanie had some talent and beauty. Like most other actors , not a rocket scientist but could read and take direction.

Only now do we realize the depths of Hollywood’s depravity — h Weinstein , rampant pedophelia. She as others obviously had no real knowledge of this.

She knew one thing : SHE HAD TO LOOK YOUNG NO MATTER WHAT! Hence, all the failed surgeries .

And she had to stay KNOWN — hence all the hookups with the so called hunks of her time.

by Anonymousreply 31August 15, 2020 7:36 PM

R30 I saw that movie in the theatre are you kidding it was awful! Meg Ryan trying time be “weird” and “quirky” (which she’s tried a couple of times) is a seriously painful thing to watch. Again, not much range (and yes I also saw When a Man Loves a Woman, which helped confirm that for me).

by Anonymousreply 32August 15, 2020 8:36 PM

The Night We Never Met and Addicted to Love seem like the same movie because both star Matthew Broderick and the apartments used as the setting for both movies were filmed on the same lower Manhattan block.

by Anonymousreply 33August 15, 2020 8:50 PM

Rob Reiner in his womanizing days?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34August 15, 2020 9:06 PM

R23. I remembered being puzzled by the age difference. Even if Harry was a recent law school student the gap was uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 35August 15, 2020 9:17 PM

Albert Brooks would have been a convincing Harry.

by Anonymousreply 36August 16, 2020 12:37 AM

R31, it sounds as though you're confusing Meg Ryan with Melanie Griffith. Or you're drunk.

by Anonymousreply 37August 16, 2020 3:33 PM

She was terribly overrated. And so ugly.

by Anonymousreply 38August 16, 2020 3:44 PM

Meg in TOP GUN....and more recently. (It's funny how she's back to recreating her TG hairstyle, more or less.)

She really has come to resemble Melanie Griffith. She didn't used to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39August 16, 2020 4:18 PM

She started getting very funky looking about the time of The Women.

by Anonymousreply 40August 16, 2020 10:25 PM

I agree with R40.

Suddenly, Meg was approaching Nicole Kidman as Botox Barbie territory.

A shame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 26, 2020 12:38 AM

When Harry Met Sally was one of the best Hollywood romantic comedies of all time. It should have been nominated for Best Picture.

by Anonymousreply 42August 26, 2020 12:42 AM

Meg was a big deal at one point. After her divorce from Quaid and the movie she made with Crowe flopped, her career faded. Then she fucked with her face and she never recovered.

by Anonymousreply 43August 26, 2020 12:57 AM

R 37: you are correct. I’m confused and very tired. Wish I could get drunk but I had to stop drinking many years ago. Then started with prescription drugs which were very easy to get back in the day.

Then I had to stop the drugs. Sigh. To be young again and abuse various substances

by Anonymousreply 44August 28, 2020 11:43 AM

Hated that choppy haircut that Sally Hershberger gave Meg Ryan — then other actresses like Natasha Richardson and Jane Fonda got similar cuts.

Agree with the poster who said Ryan and Baldwin looked their best in “Prelude to a Kiss” (which also featured DL fave Patty Duke!)

by Anonymousreply 45August 28, 2020 12:02 PM

Meg Ryan, movie star? I'll be the judge of that!

Also, she's all gums.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 28, 2020 12:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!