Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lucas Grabeel Says He Wouldn’t Play Gay “High School Musical” Character Now: “Wouldn’t Want To Take Away From Gay Acto

Lucas Grabeel, who played Ryan in "High School Musical," says he would steer clear from the gay character role nowadays ... so as not to take a job away from a gay actor.

Lucas tells TMZ ... the last thing he would want to do is take an opportunity away from another actor, and as a straight, white man he feels he's already taken plenty of opportunities away from others without even trying. Guy owns his white privilege.

As you know ... the director behind 'HSM' recently revealed Ryan was gay all along, but he says Ryan wasn't openly gay in the movies, because back in 2006 he didn't think Disney was ready for such a character.

Lots have changed since Lucas played Ryan in the Disney Channel Movie 14 years ago ... and he thinks a gay actor would be cast for the role if the movie was being made today, and he hopes the character would not have to hide his identity.

Lucas' thinking is similar to that of Mike Henry, the white actor who voiced Cleveland on "Family Guy" for 20 years. Mike recently stepped down from the role, saying the black character should be voiced by a black actor.

As for gay characters like Ryan, Lucas says it's finally time for Disney and others in the industry to start educating children about gay people at the youngest age possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2020 11:12 PM

Uh....ok...but if Lucas isn’t gay, then who was the vanilla twink I was banging between HSM dance rehearsals in 2007?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2020 8:20 PM

The best thing Colton did was to leave Camp Podwall.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2020 8:27 PM

Stop this shit. It's called acting, not reality.

So no closeted gay actor can play straight?

The only roles anyone can play is straight male actor looking for a job. Or black lesbian actress out of work.

For fuck sake. It's called acting.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2020 8:30 PM

Down with erasure, r3!

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2020 8:30 PM

Please. This bitch pings more than a downed jetliner's black box.

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2020 8:34 PM

Lesbian?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2020 8:38 PM

R3 No you fucking idiot. He’s admitting the reality that openly gay actors have a difficult time getting cast in straight roles due to preconceived notions that a gay person won’t be believed as straight, so let gay actors at least have gay roles. I for one applaud him for this. Yes, WE know it’s called acting, but explain that to casting directors.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2020 8:45 PM

Has Eric McCormack spoken yet?

Maybe Deb Messing will speak for him.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2020 8:56 PM

I agree with him - because he's too ugly to play gay.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2020 8:57 PM

Colto.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2020 9:00 PM

[quote] Down with erasure, R3!

Fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2020 9:01 PM

Someone should ask him if, given a do-over, he’d once again take the role of Danny Nicoletta in Gus Van Sant’s MILK, I.e. one of the most gay biopic roles in existence. That answer would tell us what he is getting at.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 14, 2020 12:29 PM

R12 I misread that as Danny Noriega LOL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13August 14, 2020 1:07 PM

A quick Google reveals: Lucas was an enthusiastic highschool chorister; he admits a close relationship with his mother; his favourite film is SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN, and his boyhood dream was to be a dancer; he spent almost a decade living with a male photographer ‘roommate’ in a tiny flat; he has been engaged to his wannabe actress girlfriend for five years.

But he’s not gay.

by Anonymousreply 14August 14, 2020 2:02 PM

This is one of the stupidest things ever.

First, the character was not gay, not openly not closeted. It's a coded gay which is something from a totally different era.

We knew that Disney has alergy to create gay characters for their shows. Yes, they are all for lgbt rights and all that jazz but in the moment of truth they let a gay character spend three seasons only to grab the hands of his boyfriend in Andi Mack. And they chicken out at release the very tame (but charming) love, Victor, they didn't promote it and skipped the release to Hulu (only to surprisingly being a big hit).

HSM can be gay friendly, but there's nothing really gay on it.

It's extremely ridiculous claiming you let a role to be played for gay actors when the truth is most gay actors are not out when they play teen roles.

The whole "only gay actors can play gay roles" is incredibly stupid and goes against what's acting, but on some level i can understand it, because the truth being openly gay is a burden for an actor to get straight roles but at the same time HW prefers to cast straights on gay roles too. So a little pressure can help at least for some gay actors get those roles (or at least half of them).

The truth is there's a lot of miscasts on gay roles. There are actors who feel the need to mention their girlfriend in every answer of every interview, and there are some who are clearly uncomfortable playing the role (which makes them look really stupid for getting the role, but even more stupid is the one who chose them)

by Anonymousreply 15August 14, 2020 2:10 PM

This shit really annoys me. Are they saying only gay actors can play gay characters and only vice versa? What about villains and psychopaths? Should Anthony Hopkins apologise that he didn’t allow an actual cannibal to play Hannibal Lector? Where do you draw the line.

by Anonymousreply 16August 14, 2020 2:19 PM

R16

Hard to believe you’re gay. Openly gay actors are being fucked over. They aren’t allowed to do much in Hollywood. How many times do we have to go through this? Openly gay actors have come out and told the truth. But you don’t want to listen. Straight man worshipper.

by Anonymousreply 17August 14, 2020 2:22 PM

He's saying it after the fact to make him look woke. He and everybody else knows that if he were offered the role today, he would jump on it.

by Anonymousreply 18August 14, 2020 2:23 PM

R17 They are fucked on the film industry, on tv and theatre not so much.

And one thing is saying that HW should cast more openly gay actors on gay roles (something everybody should agree) and other very different to say that only gay actors can play gay roles

by Anonymousreply 19August 14, 2020 2:25 PM

[Quote] there's nothing really gay on it.

Have you not seen Zac Efron's "Bet on It" number?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2020 2:32 PM

[Quote] very different to say that only gay actors can play gay roles

It's basically affirmative action. I don't see how why gay people would be against this, at least in the short term. It's not an even playing field for out actors.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2020 2:34 PM

Please. The character was never supposed to be gay. They just cast a flaming nelly bottom to play him, so naturally everyone wondered.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2020 2:36 PM

I don't get the point in him staying closeted for this long. It'd make sense if he was getting roles but he hasn't had an acting gig since his Disney days and he's starting to get fat and old. Why does he still refuse to be open about his sexuality?

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2020 2:36 PM

Hollywood needs to change. Actors should not be forced into the closet. Openly gay actors should not be denied opportunities. Gay characters should not be denied romance.

I’m fucking fed up with this.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2020 2:38 PM

I've never seen HSM but I have seen Grabeel in costume as the character. He was totally styled as gay.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2020 2:38 PM

R22 The character was always supposed to be gay, which is why they cast a flaming nelly bottom to play him. In the original version of the film, before the Disney higher ups saw it and had editing input, Ryan was supposed to have a thing with the black guy who bakes. In the end they cut that out, made Ryan "straight", and made the guy who bakes attracted to his sister.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2020 2:38 PM

[Quote] I don't get the point in him staying closeted for this long. It'd make sense if he was getting roles but he hasn't had an acting gig since his Disney days and he's starting to get fat and old. Why does he still refuse to be open about his sexuality?

He's part of Camp Podwall, is he not?

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2020 2:40 PM

There were a few gay guys in my high school just like Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2020 2:43 PM

While I have no issue with making sure there is enough work for everyone, especially gay people and actors of color... but isn't acting supposed to be make believe? So will a gay actor, not be able to play a straight character now? How specific are we going to get with this?

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2020 2:43 PM

R29

Oh the poor straight actors!!!

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2020 2:44 PM

R29 Nobody is allowed to play a character they aren't identical to in real life. In fact, because of this, no more fictional movies or TV shows will ever be made. From now on every piece of media must be like Keeping Up With Tha Kardashians, just to avoid any problematicness.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2020 2:45 PM

[Quote] isn't acting supposed to be make believe?

Do you believe star actors appear out of nowhere or are they built/developed/promoted? If the latter, do you not see the disparity in treatment?

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2020 2:47 PM

I think I'm on to OP's m.o.

He loves to post articles and then he camps the comments, insulting and berating everyone who dares disagree with whatever slop he's pushing. He clearly enjoys the conflict and namecalling. Go back to Twitter, OP.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2020 2:49 PM

Your conservative arguments are only helping the straights and harming the gays. Of course you won’t see that though.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2020 2:49 PM

LOL, who does he think he is, Darren Criss?

Gay Actors for Gay Roles is a push for Hollywood to finally cast openly gay actors in straight roles, roles that pay well. It's all about changing Hollywood's attitude about refusing to take a change on openly gay actors, because they insist they don't have the power to make the general public accept an openly gay actor in a straight role.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2020 2:51 PM

Sorry, to take a chance on openly gay actors,

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2020 2:51 PM

r35 that's not the case anymore. You seem to be living in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2020 2:54 PM

R33

Yeah I’m such a villain for fighting for openly gay actors! Give me a break.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2020 2:58 PM

r38 Ah, the standard Twitter argument style, "I'm FIGHTING FOR XXX (which is why I'm bullying and namecalling anyone who disagrees with me)"

You go on, you keyboard warrior, you! You're making a real difference!

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2020 3:00 PM

R6 Lucas would make an adorable soft-butch. Or a stunt double for Macaulay Culkin.

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2020 3:34 PM

Wokeness

by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2020 3:37 PM

R27 I don’t really get the whole Podwall thing. Do the members sign NDAs and agree to fuck the Overlord in exchange for auditions/roles, or something?

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2020 3:38 PM

The rumour always was that Grabeel fucked Efron on the HSM I set, but I have trouble believing that given that they’re both so femme and have bottom energy. Who topped in that scenario, and how? Doesn’t seem plausible, to me.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2020 8:39 PM

‘Grabeel’ is such an ugly name to read on paper. I’d have changed it. I know it’s pronounciation isn’t so awful, but you know, first impressions.

by Anonymousreply 44August 16, 2020 10:55 PM

[Quote] I’d have changed it.

To "Grabsheels," maybe?

by Anonymousreply 45August 16, 2020 11:10 PM

CLOSET FAIL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46August 16, 2020 11:20 PM

Yep r27.

Lucas Grabeel is part of the Eric Podwall gang. And as we all know Eric Podwall does not believe in his clients coming out.

by Anonymousreply 47August 16, 2020 11:21 PM

Yes I agree we should let gay actors play gay roles. I prefer playing straight just like Lucas.

by Anonymousreply 48August 16, 2020 11:28 PM

[Quote] Or a stunt double for Macaulay Culkin.

How often is Macaulay doing action movies?? 😄

by Anonymousreply 49August 17, 2020 5:09 AM

Lucas Grabeel is gay as a goose.

by Anonymousreply 50August 17, 2020 5:16 AM

You people are dense. It's not that straight actors are literally unable to play gay characters, it's that they don't want to take roles away from gay actors, since many people refuse to cast gay men in straight romantic roles. It's about giving gay actors more opportunities.

That said, Lucas claiming to be straight is hilarious

by Anonymousreply 51August 17, 2020 5:21 AM

Non-Jewish leads of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel" quits in solidarity!

by Anonymousreply 52August 17, 2020 6:44 AM

"The rumour always was that Grabeel fucked Efron on the HSM I set, but I have trouble believing that given that they’re both so femme and have bottom energy. Who topped in that scenario, and how? Doesn’t seem plausible, to me. "

The rumor that I heard was that Efron was fucking Grabeel and they switched roles one time. It was supposedly the first time Efron bottomed and he found that he liked it.

by Anonymousreply 53August 17, 2020 9:21 AM

[quote] Efron was fucking Grabeel and they switched roles one time. It was supposedly the first time Efron bottomed and he found that he liked it.

Somehow I get the impression that Lucas didn’t enjoy the experience quite as much.

by Anonymousreply 54August 17, 2020 12:33 PM

Grabeel seems embarrassed and ungrateful for the break, that in the ‘00s hundreds of similar gay teenage nobodies from the Midwest would have chewed their arm off to get. You don’t hear Corbin apologising that Chad Danforth should have been played by a 7ft. redbone, or Efron saying that Troy Bolton should have been played by a different actor who could actually sing and play basketball at a high level.

Does Lucas think he could have made it further without winning the role of Ryan? Is he bitter about something clandestine that happened while working at Disney, or that they didn’t push him enough? Does he want to be a legitimate popSTAH, and thinks the HSM brand has tainted him?

He needs to expand on this thinking and report back, if he wants our sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 55August 18, 2020 2:13 PM

I don't think he wants sympathy. As said upthread, he wants to be seen as straight and woke to the plight of gay actors.

by Anonymousreply 56August 18, 2020 3:07 PM

R20 or the blazing inferno of gay innuendo that was ‘I Don’t Dance’. The grass on the baseball diamond was scorched by all the sexual tension.

Surprising that Ortega didn’t write the Ryan character to fall in love (or lust) with Chad rather than Zeke. The crush Ryan allegedly had on Zeke - as shown briefly in the deleted scenes, and alluded to in the stage shows - came out of nowhere and didn’t make sense. For a franchise about overcoming superficial differences and getting to know one another as complex real people, it was weird that the outcasted Ryan was crazy from a distance about a fairly stupid and shallow jock. Ryan didn’t know Zeke beyond classmate level, and never interacted with him in the films. On the other hand, Ryan actually got to know Chad well as a friend (through Sharpay’s quest to destroy Troyella), and seemed to enjoy his company and have a strong flirtatious chemistry with him. If you watch the films closely: in the first movie Ryan & Chad stand next to each other in several scenes and make a point of interacting even though they are in separate plots (one of the first major points of dynamic action in the whole franchise is Ryan catching a basketball that Chad tosses in homeroom); while in the second movie, Ryan & Chad spend most of their time together when Troy is otherwise occupied chasing after Gabriella or running around after Sharpay.

In retrospect it would have made perfect sense to have a slow-burn background romance plot between Ryan & Chad in the third film, maybe to do with attending Prom together m, but of course that could never have happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 19, 2020 1:06 PM

[Quote] the whole Podwall thing. Do the members sign NDAs and agree to fuck the Overlord

-- Laughs nervously --

by Anonymousreply 58September 19, 2020 2:00 PM

Why are there no fake nudes of Corbin Bleu (Chad) fucking Lucas Grabeel (Ryan)? Seriously!!!!

by Anonymousreply 59September 19, 2020 8:29 PM

R59 well, there are fanfics by the literal thousands, if you like to read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60September 19, 2020 11:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!