Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

That's the last time you disappoint me, guavas

Bought a few guavas from local farmer's market. As they sat in my kitchen ripening over the last week, their fragrance was so intoxicating. The only other fruit I've had with such an intense fragrance were Indian mangoes. They were finally ripe enough to start trying them today. I chilled them them and cut into them tonight and they were so BLAND. They had none of the wonderful tropical flavor of a bottled guava nectar. The contrast between the beautiful fragrance and bland, tasteless flavor was so disappointing. Is this par for the course with fresh guavas or did I just get a bad batch?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2020 6:05 AM

Cook them. Make them in syrup, it's a very rich flavor, with a great perfum. They are like quinces, they gain an adorable taste once you cook them

by Anonymousreply 1July 27, 2020 3:25 AM

Cook them. Make them in syrup, it's a very rich flavor, with a great perfum. They are like quinces, they gain an adorable taste once you cook them

by Anonymousreply 2July 27, 2020 3:25 AM

One must walk on the Napali trail and pluck them from overhanging trees and suck their juice. I have never tasted such wonder guavas as those I plucked while hiking Napali.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 27, 2020 3:47 AM

R1 - perhaps, but I was just interested in enjoying the fresh fruit.

R3 - that sounds amazing, but for now, I'll need to settle for the farmers market.

by Anonymousreply 4July 27, 2020 3:56 AM

They lack guavitas.

by Anonymousreply 5July 27, 2020 3:57 AM

[quote] One must walk on the Napali trail and pluck them from overhanging trees and suck their juice. I have never tasted such wonder guavas as those I plucked while hiking Napali.

R3 you forgot to add the part about Moussaka and Making Looovvvvve . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6July 27, 2020 4:39 AM

Manigoes ripen to flavor after bring picked. Unfortunately, guavas need to ripen on the vine. They are delicious in tropical counties but when we get them in the US, they’re old and still not ripe. By the time the rind is perfumed, the inner fruit essences are used up.

If there were demand here and we grew them with expertise in Cali or Florida, they could be great.

by Anonymousreply 7July 27, 2020 6:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!