Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Diane Downs had a strange resemblance to Princess Di

Diane whose life and murder trial were detailed in the book and movie Small Sacrifices. I watched a special on her daughter - the baby she had while on trial - and her adopted parents. It was on an old 20/20 episode that reran last night. I was amazed at her resemblance to Princess Di in some of the still shots, especially the 'head-down-looking-upward' pics.

Did anyone else see the episode or note the resemblance? (I'll try and find a better picture to post...)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2020 3:05 AM

Here's another...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 25, 2020 2:19 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 25, 2020 2:30 PM

Strange is the right word.

by Anonymousreply 3July 25, 2020 2:31 PM

Maybe a resemblance to a strange Princess Diana

by Anonymousreply 4July 25, 2020 2:32 PM

Downs indeed.

by Anonymousreply 5July 25, 2020 2:39 PM

I've seen a quite a few interviews and documentary type projects covering the case. I was always chilled by her lack of empathy, sympathy and how obviously disturbed and dark she is. I thought she was an attractive woman, and I guess has some resemblance to Lady Diana, but only in that generic white blonde way maybe?

by Anonymousreply 6July 25, 2020 2:41 PM

They’re both kind of generic looking, and that haircut was all the rage in the early ‘80s. There’s a resemblance, certainly, but I wouldn’t cal it strange.

by Anonymousreply 7July 25, 2020 2:59 PM

She’s prettier than Diana.

Doesn’t have that huge HONKIN’ nose!

by Anonymousreply 8July 25, 2020 3:03 PM

Did you see the footage of her re-enacting the shooting to the cops the day after it happened? She was flirting with the cops. I'm sure they knew right there and then that she was the shooter.

by Anonymousreply 9July 25, 2020 3:03 PM

I was only able to watch part of it, OP, but it was nice to see Ann Rule again. I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 10July 25, 2020 3:06 PM

I met Ann Rule a couple of times, she was very sweet, but also naive. She watched Ryan O'Neal interact with Farrah on the set of "Small Sacrifices" and he was so sweet to Farrah that Ann couldn't believe the tabloid stories of him being an abusive prick. I found that to be quite incredible since she was well aware of the mask of charm psychopaths and narcissists wear.

I think she was an excellent writer and helped to educate many of us on what psychopaths were and the fact that serial killers were out there.

by Anonymousreply 11July 25, 2020 3:12 PM

How could she cheat on her first husband? He was very, very cute!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12July 25, 2020 3:15 PM

Cute=No personality flaws!!

by Anonymousreply 13July 25, 2020 3:17 PM

R11, that doesn’t surprise me about her. She was totally in love with Ted Bundy, after all.

by Anonymousreply 14July 25, 2020 3:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15July 25, 2020 3:28 PM

R10 Yes, it was good to see Ann Rule again. Her book about Bundy - The Stranger Beside Me - was chilling. She had worked with Bundy and considered him a friend, not knowing he was a murderer. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 16July 25, 2020 3:48 PM

I think it's mostly just that she had Princess Diana hair.

Fellow bad mom Jenelle from MTV's Teen Mom always reminded me of Diane Downs:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 25, 2020 3:53 PM

Every once in a while I think the Japanese are right about Sanpaku eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 25, 2020 4:02 PM

Yes OP, in Ann Rule's book, it's mentioned that Diane was called 'Princess Die' by the press during her trial.

by Anonymousreply 19July 25, 2020 4:04 PM

More Tracey Thorn than Diana Spencer.

by Anonymousreply 20July 25, 2020 4:07 PM

Oh, I think Downs tried to look like Diana. The hair color in the first pic is not found in nature and the haircut is an obvious imitation of Di's, and maybe she also copied Diana's way of tilting her head down and looking up at people. Even the frumpy dress a couple of pics down looks like a cheap imitation of Diana's style.

I mean a lot of girls copied Di's hair and style back then, but not to that extent. I wonder why she did, was she trying to look innocent and above suspicion? Or was this an attempt to look aristocratic? Or was she the kind of empty sociopath who had no real self, who copied others in an attempt to come off as a real person?

by Anonymousreply 21July 25, 2020 4:12 PM

R19 I forgot that! It certainly looked obvious in the 20/20 episode. Interesting that she was portrayed by Farrah Fawcett who had her own 'look' that was copied during her time in the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 22July 25, 2020 4:22 PM

Most stars have a look.

by Anonymousreply 23July 25, 2020 4:27 PM

Incredibly beautiful and misunderstood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 27, 2020 12:31 AM

Yes, if you squint hard enough, she also looks like Annie Lennox.

by Anonymousreply 25July 27, 2020 12:35 AM

I lived in Springfield when this happened. We knew she did it right from the getgo. It was scary. A few years later, she escaped from jail but got caught eventually.

by Anonymousreply 26July 27, 2020 12:51 AM

She looks like Diana if Diana were a hillbilly truckstop whore.

by Anonymousreply 27July 27, 2020 2:26 AM

r26, Diane's daughter was adopted. When Diane escaped from jail, the babysitter told the daughter that Diane Downs was her mother. Not a good way to find out.

by Anonymousreply 28July 27, 2020 2:41 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 27, 2020 3:01 AM

^^ sorry - wrong link : (

by Anonymousreply 30July 27, 2020 3:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!