Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Baz Luhrmann - Genius or Pretentious Hack?

Liked ROMEO & JULIET, GATSBY, despite the latter's long running time. Could not sit for all of MOULIN ROUGE.

What's the status on his Elvis Presley bio? Some film critics hate him. Discuss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2021 1:19 PM

Baz Luhrmann for H&M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 20, 2020 9:29 PM

Has he had a little work done?

by Anonymousreply 2July 20, 2020 9:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 20, 2020 9:31 PM

Strictly Ballroom is a classic. He’s very talented.

by Anonymousreply 4July 20, 2020 9:31 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 20, 2020 9:31 PM

Loved Strictly Ballroom (still do) and enjoyed Romeo + Juliet, but the hyperediting of Moulin Rouge gave me a blinding rage headache.

by Anonymousreply 6July 20, 2020 9:32 PM

Luhrmann and son?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7July 20, 2020 9:34 PM

The Elvis biopic has been approved to start production again soon by the Queensland Government, Australia.

I hope Hanks doesn't bring down Covid again!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 20, 2020 9:35 PM

"Strictly Ballroom" is lovely. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 20, 2020 9:36 PM

Peaked at Strictly. Moulin Rouge was ok. Shit since.

by Anonymousreply 10July 20, 2020 9:38 PM

His wife has four Oscars for art design and costumes, all for his movies. He has one nomination. Ouuch.

by Anonymousreply 11July 20, 2020 9:38 PM

Extremely talented but very hit or miss. Cocaine issues, apparently. For me personally, MOULIN ROUGUE was a unique cinema-going experience in that while I hated the first 20 minutes or so and almost left (so loud and busy!) it settled into its own groove and I loved it by the end (tears and all). That's never happened to me before or since. The scope of the production and lavish execution were jaw-dropping but I understand how people might find the style intolerable.

by Anonymousreply 12July 20, 2020 9:43 PM

Gurlfriend is going to Nicole's old dermie....lay off the fillers!

by Anonymousreply 13July 20, 2020 9:47 PM

Hello Wayne Newton?

by Anonymousreply 14July 20, 2020 9:50 PM

I agree with R12. For the first 20 minutes of Moulin Rouge, I thought, "What the fuck is this?" It tried my patience. But when Satine makes her entrance by descending from the ceiling, I sat up and was engaged the rest of the way through to the end. Tears and all!

I have since seen it many times. Saw the stage show on Broadway -- it is just okay by comparison.

Romeo + Juliet was good. The Great Gatsby was a disappointment -- too derivative of Luhrmann's earlier works.

by Anonymousreply 15July 20, 2020 9:53 PM

Moulin Rouge is a delightful visual confection. Baz seems to be stuck on the bohemian star crossed lovers trope- almost every movie of his is a different version of it.

by Anonymousreply 16July 20, 2020 10:29 PM

I think he looks great.

by Anonymousreply 17July 20, 2020 10:31 PM

I'm among the few who loved Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby" and I write this as someone who agrees with those who say TGG is not filmable.

That's contradictory. I know.

I can't explain it, but I "got", tuned into, Luhrmann's vision of East and West Egg and his depiction and audio (yes, including Jay Z's rap contribution) of the atmosphere of the 1920s that Fitzgerald brings to the page in TGG.

For the life of me, however, it's inexplicable to me, beyond "what was he thinking?" that Lurhmann so massively miscast Daisy Buchanon.

Carey Mulligan was absent the beauty and perverse, subtle, villainous charisma that an actress must bring to the role of Daisy Buchanon. It's just that simple.

by Anonymousreply 18July 20, 2020 10:41 PM

I forgot to add, I'd love to know who else auditioned for Luhrmann for the role of Daisy Buchanon.

by Anonymousreply 19July 20, 2020 10:42 PM

SB and R+J are great, MR is meh. I lost interest after that.

by Anonymousreply 20July 20, 2020 10:44 PM

He's the Wal-Mart version of Ken Russell.

by Anonymousreply 21July 20, 2020 10:45 PM

Damn looks like he uses the same plastic surgeon as Jocelyn Wildenstein in R7.

by Anonymousreply 22July 20, 2020 10:48 PM

I actually met him and he was very nice. Really open and kind and encouraging. With really lovely people working with him.

by Anonymousreply 23July 20, 2020 10:50 PM

So Kenny Rogers left his face to Luhrmann ? It doesn’t quite fit.

by Anonymousreply 24July 20, 2020 11:02 PM

GATSBY threatened to sink under its own Art Deco splendor, and Carey Mulligan was a cipher as Daisy, but everything else worked for me. I liked Carey in AN EDUCATION better, her Daisy was bland and passionless. But Baz has a strong visual style folks either seem to love or hate.

by Anonymousreply 25July 20, 2020 11:32 PM

[quote] For the first 20 minutes of Moulin Rouge, I thought, "What the fuck is this?" It tried my patience. But when Satine makes her entrance by descending from the ceiling, I sat up and was engaged the rest of the way through to the end. Tears and all!

That describes my reaction to Romeo+Juliet. Those first fifteen minutes or so are dire, with everyone screaming their dialogue? Ugh! But then the movie settles down and fromR+J’s meeting through the death of Mercutio, it’s just about perfect. I hope Baz can get over his attachment to slapstick someday.

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2021 11:53 AM

I loved Strictly Ballroom, but that's the only one of his I've liked. Everything else has a look of "look how whimsical I'm being!" to it, which is irritating.

I used to dance when I was a teen, and Strictly Ballroom does a great job of portraying what that world is really like.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2021 11:59 AM

i've never cared for his films.

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2021 12:05 PM

I liked that Chanel No. 5 commercial he did with Nicki Kidman.

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2021 12:10 PM

Like so many 'successful' directors (Oliver Stone, Quentin Tarantino, Ron Howard, Steven Spielberg...) I've never had the desire to see any of their movies twice. Once was enough.

Whereas Hitchcock, David Lynch, Todd Solondz, Todd Haynes, Brian De Palma, Martin Scorcese... I re-watch their movies about once a year.

I like Woody Allen the first time. But the only one I've seen over and over is "Interiors".

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2021 12:13 PM

[quote] I'm among the few who loved Luhrmann's "The Great Gatsby"

Luhrmann's version was more superficial than Griffin's version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2021 12:32 PM

He's nothing but glitter and elephant shit.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2021 12:38 PM

I really liked The Get Down on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2021 12:45 PM

He's talented, but his talent is style. I can't think of him as a genius; he just has a trademark in-your-face gaudy musical-expressionist-by-way-of-Mardi-Gras vibe. He clearly belongs to the MTV generation and thinks natively in the language of flashy, spectacle-based music videos with tons of jarring cuts to keep your attention (and/or to exhaust you, depending on your tolerance level for music videos).

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2021 12:58 PM

The new fake Elvis Presley is inadequate. Hanks is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2021 1:01 PM

[Italic]Australia[/italic] was better than I expected it to be, though. I’ve seen it three times already and I am no fan of Kidman or Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2021 1:11 PM

R36 What was the best thing about it? The colors? The plot? The reference to Judy Garland?

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2021 1:13 PM

Loved the sets, the humor, the tender relationship between Nicole Kidman and the beautiful little aboriginal boy and acknowledgement of the awful things that were done to the indigenous population. Catherine Martin does great set design as well.

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2021 1:48 PM

[R38] You enjoyed the acknowledgement of the "awful things" done to the aboriginal people? That's a novel basis for enjoying a film.

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2021 8:03 PM

[quote] beautiful little aboriginal boy

This character "Nullah" had an Aboriginal mother and a white father.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2021 11:01 PM

Not enjoy maybe but I appreciated the fact that it was in the film. For r39.

by Anonymousreply 41May 22, 2021 11:01 AM

Baz is looking very fetching tonight at the Australian AACTA awards.

He has a youthful bloom about him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2021 9:43 AM

His Chanel ad with Nicole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2021 10:05 AM

To me, Strictly Ballroom is the only decent film he's ever done.

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2021 10:19 AM

Gatsby is in my top 20 movies and I liked his Chanel ad. Moulan Rouge is too campy and silly for me, Australia was flat-out boring and I can take or leave Romeo+Juliet. Never seen strictly ballroom. I think he has talent.

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2021 3:59 PM

Just a Ken Russell impersonator.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2021 4:27 PM

What’s going on with the cheekbones?

by Anonymousreply 47December 8, 2021 5:46 PM

Hack.

Every time.

Because it's what he is.

by Anonymousreply 48December 8, 2021 6:12 PM

Unfortunately DiCaprio was too old, weathered-looking, stodgy and wooden by the time Great Gatsby was filmed. His attempts at conveying Gatsby's enigmatic charm came across as creepy and painfully forced. I think Catch Me If You Can-era DiCaprio would have worked in the role – he'd already started phoning it in, but still had his good looks and youthful charm - but the jowly, red-faced, phlegmatic 2011 version? No, just no.

by Anonymousreply 49December 8, 2021 6:27 PM

R19, apparently Blake Lively did.

by Anonymousreply 50December 8, 2021 6:29 PM

I think Leo was charming enough to play Gatsby in 2011. I haven't read the book in ages but I think Gatsby needed time to build his new identity and establish himself as a wealthy man. It wouldn't make a lot of sense to have a 25 year old play him. Now 2021 Leo playing Gatsby? Forget it. Now he's too jowly and red-faced etc.

by Anonymousreply 51December 8, 2021 8:53 PM

OP why such extremes you drama queen you. Baz is good, not great, but better than most. Moulin Rouge was quite interesting.

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2021 10:45 PM

Baz' face and Rebels ginormous growing teeth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 8, 2021 10:53 PM

R49 DiCaprio looked beautiful in the sweater throwing scene.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2021 9:07 AM

His facelift was TREMENDOUS!

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2021 9:14 AM

Moulin Rouge (art, music) should have been up my alley, but I could not get past the first few minutes.

Carey Mulligan as Daisy (Gatsby) was bad casting. I saw her in "Drive" (Ryan Gosling) and she was not compelling at all.

by Anonymousreply 56December 9, 2021 4:58 PM

He has genuine talent for direction, but he's not very smart. His skills are for creating visual razzle-dazzle, not for building a strong or compelling storyline.

by Anonymousreply 57December 9, 2021 5:04 PM

I always suspected Luhrmann had a secret crush on/obsession with DiCaprio masquerading as an intense yet platonic director-muse-relationship (he's gay, right?).

by Anonymousreply 58December 9, 2021 6:40 PM

R56, I felt the same re: Moulin Rouge. Personally, I hated it, but was watching thinking: "What's happening? I should be LOVING this!"

As I said before, Strictly Ballroom is a good film. I used to dance when I was a teen and it's a really funny look into the Australian ballroom dancing scene, which really does have that aesthetic, exaggerated a bit for the film of course, but still, it's not that far off. And there are some very funny scenes in it too.

"Pam Short's broken both her legs, and I wanna dance with you."

by Anonymousreply 59December 9, 2021 6:54 PM

He better not mess up this Elvis biopic. Older White Southerners see Elvis as this kind of god. I don't know why Luhrmann didn't cast an actual person from Mississippi. Southern accent is very hard for a non-Southerner to do.

by Anonymousreply 60December 16, 2021 1:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!