Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Underrated authors

I started the overrated authors thread, and someone suggested there be an underrated authors thread, so here I am. Doing as I’m told. Like a good boy trying to please his daddy.

It’s a joke, bitch.

Anyway, here are a few underrated authors:

Caroline Knapp: she’s deceased, but I was introduced to her book Drinking: A Love Story in the wake of the whole James Frey A Million Little Pieces la scandal. Beautiful, honest book about her addiction. Not romanticized, not over-dramatized. I feel like do often when books discuss addiction they try to make it more compelling than it is (hence James Frey). She just told her story and it works.

John Green: Yes two of his novels have become films, most famously the Please-Give-Shailene-Woodley-An-Oscar film “The Fault In Our Stars”. But the hype around that film notwithstanding, I actually think the book’s author is a bit underrated. He’s actually a really good writer.

James Salter: He’s your favorite writer’s favorite author for a reason. Criminally underrated. Did not receive his flowers in his lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2020 8:15 PM

I read Caroline Knapp's book. I didn't know she died.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2020 9:47 PM

I don’t know if everyone would consider Marilynne Robinson underrated, since she’s a Pulitzer Prize winner, but I think she’s under-read and perhaps under-considered as one of the great contemporary American novelists.

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2020 10:00 PM

Robert McLiam Wilson of Norther Ireland, author of 'Ripley Bogle' and 'Eureka Street,' who writes in a deceptively simple style, lyrical and full of wit, and very well crafted and refined. A promised third novel was postponed countless times and then he fucked on off to Paris to teach and write for newspapers and reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2020 10:12 PM

Love Knapp, OP- Great choice-

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2020 11:12 PM

I loved Knapp's book about her dog, Lucille. "Pack Of Two"

by Anonymousreply 5July 16, 2020 3:18 AM

James Salter

Ron Hansen

by Anonymousreply 6July 16, 2020 3:20 AM

John Wyndham.

by Anonymousreply 7July 16, 2020 3:22 AM

Patrick Dennis

Agatha Christie

Both are often dismissed as "popular" and "genre" writers -But both were brilliant at characterization and plot twists.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2020 3:27 AM

R7. Wyndham’s “The Chrysalids” is an amazing novel—I used to teach it to my college honors freshmen and they always loved it.

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2020 3:32 AM

Who wrote the Fun with Dick and Jane novels? I read them in first grade.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2020 3:47 AM

Dawn Powell -- mid-20th century American novelist.

by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2020 3:54 AM

Jonathan Tropper

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2020 4:16 AM

Agatha Christie is hardly an underrated author R8!

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2020 11:11 AM

Maybe not underrated, as she’s critically loved, but Louise Erdrich should be on everyone’s bookshelf.

I also really love Laurie Colwin. She died in her 40s and doesn’t seem to be read much nowadays. Shine on, bright and Dangerous Object is terrific.

Lois-Ann Yamanaka should also be more widely read. Heads by Harry and Blu’s Hanging are amazing.

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2020 11:11 AM

I think Elizabeth George fits here. Her Lynley books number close to 20, I believe, and she writes chilling atmospheric scenes, and poignant storylines, both within the arc of her main characters and the individual mysteries plots. I read many writers in the English mystery genre, and I enjoy her books over many others, but she never seems to appear on the “best of” lists that pop up across the internet.

by Anonymousreply 15July 16, 2020 11:31 AM

Judith Krantz was a better (commercial) novelist than she ever got credit for.

by Anonymousreply 16July 16, 2020 11:48 AM

OP Do you primarily read just adult materials? I ask because John Green is far from being underrated in the YA world and I would in fact name him as a tent pole author. So, I could see perhaps someone not familiar with YA literature seeing him as underrated, but in no way in his field is he.

by Anonymousreply 17July 16, 2020 12:50 PM

I wish more gay men were familiar with Colm Toibin as a writer, who is Irish and whose works have a lyric, quiet, subtlety about them. Most well know for the book Brooklyn that was made into a movie a few years ago, his real masterpiece is The Master. It started out as a biography about Henry James, but strayed a bit so is listed as fiction. The ironic part is the more outrageous elements are actually the truthful ones. He also wrote a heart wrenching novel about a brother dying of AIDS and what he asks of his sister called The Blackwater Lightship. Just gorgeous writing and imagery and such a way with words.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 16, 2020 1:04 PM

I love Knapp! My sister has struggled with eating disorders since she was a teen, and I never really understood it until I read Appetites: Why Women Want.

by Anonymousreply 19July 16, 2020 1:13 PM

Another gay author who seems to be overlooked these days is Bruce Chatwin who died of AIDS in the 1980s before really ever coming out or acknowledging his illness as it was such a hostile time to do so. He single handedly redefined travel writing with two of his books, In Patagonia and Songlines about Australia and the Aborigines. Among his other writings is a short novel called Utz about an obsessive compulsive porcelain collector in Czech Republic during the Cold War, who refuses to leave because of his beloved collection, it’s a fascinating character study in the format of a novel with a wonderful mystery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 16, 2020 1:17 PM

[quote]Judith Krantz was a better (commercial) novelist than she ever got credit for.

Yes, if only the author of such cornerstones of the literary canon as "Scruples", "Scruples Two", "Princess Daisy", and "The Jewels of Tessa Kent" had found an audience beyond her 80M books sold.

I would guess she didn't give a rat's greasy ass that she was "underrated" within her genre.

by Anonymousreply 21July 16, 2020 3:16 PM

Ruth Rendell

by Anonymousreply 22July 16, 2020 5:15 PM

Really, [R13]? Everyone agrees she's a popular seller, but many critics (those who don't specialize in mysteries) dismiss her as being a poor writer with superficial characters. I disagree -But I keep reading it over and over again. She also largely forgotten by the under-40 crowd.

by Anonymousreply 23July 16, 2020 7:42 PM

Her books are still being made into movies in 2020. She's not forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 24July 16, 2020 8:07 PM

No, the same three books keep getting remade...

by Anonymousreply 25July 16, 2020 8:08 PM

If Chrstie is forgotten then every author is

by Anonymousreply 26July 16, 2020 8:10 PM

The thread isn't about forgotten authors -It's about those who are better than people remember -underrated.

by Anonymousreply 27July 16, 2020 8:14 PM

i too enjoyed Carolyn Knapp's addiction story. Was sorry to her she had passed. I think my cousin was same class as her at Brown.

by Anonymousreply 28July 16, 2020 8:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!