Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kaye Ballard doc streams again tomorrow

Sign up. Watched it tonight. Loved it. The focus is her career - avoids her pricate life. But i loved it. Tomorrow afternoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2020 1:24 PM

Kaye was a lesbian. Too bad that they don't delve into this in our more enlightened times. I loved her as a comedian.

by Anonymousreply 1July 15, 2020 2:11 AM

Dmoes this documentary mention Kaye's affairs with dozens of lovelies through the decades, including her BFF Miss Liz Smith?

by Anonymousreply 2July 15, 2020 2:13 AM

I think it was common knowledge that she was a lesbian, but I don't think she ever publicly came-out...just alluded to it in various ways. I think she was in a relationship with Liz Smith when Liz was her manager ?

by Anonymousreply 3July 15, 2020 2:13 AM

Liz is in it. So is carol channing Tons of folks. My hubby is a bway queen so we had to watch. He mentioned the lesbo stuff. I knew who she was because of the mother in laws & all those variety shows in the 70’s. I didn’t think i’d like it but i loved it. R2

by Anonymousreply 4July 15, 2020 2:53 AM

Had no idea she'd died, or that she was a dyke. I only ever saw her as a kid on reruns of "The Mothers in Law", and at that age, my mind just didn't go there. Now I'm looking VERY suspiciously at Eve Arden and Roger C. Carmel.

by Anonymousreply 5July 15, 2020 2:54 AM

I saw her in a Long Beach CA production of "No No Nanette" as Pauline, the maid (played by fellow dykey lesbo Patsy Kelly who won the Tony for it in 1972) who looked like Rosie the Robot from "The Jetsons" and got to yell at the vacuum cleaner which even got to take a bow with her. At one point, she yelled at the vacuum cleaner which followed her around and even turned to the audience at one point, finally sulking as it was pulled off stage to make it appear that the vacuum cleaner was actually alive. Very funny stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6July 15, 2020 1:21 PM

so Kaye, Dorothy Loudon and Carol Burnett all did Garry Moore Show? on different seasons? and she left Garry Moore because she was given poor material? which she later regretted? not sure I quite caught it......... all around triumph from the team that put this film together....labor of love getting all the clips.

by Anonymousreply 7July 15, 2020 11:57 PM

R5 Roger C. Carmel and his replacement, Richard Deacon, were both gay.

by Anonymousreply 8July 16, 2020 1:13 AM

Interesting to see Kaye announce on a talk show that she was going to be in the film version of “Lovers and Other Strangers” only to find out she didn’t get the part after all. My guess is it was the role of the groom’s mother eventually played by Bea Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 9July 16, 2020 2:03 AM

Her cousin Dick, who was a duck, was governor of Ohio. He was married to lesbionic Dagmar.

by Anonymousreply 10July 16, 2020 2:11 AM

Of all the recent hagiographies of ancient female stars (Carol Channing, Joan Rivers, Rose Marie) this is the most useless. You learn almost nothing about her other than an endless recitation of her professional life. It's the ultimate 'And then I wrote...' with barely any interesting gossip in between. Not even the hoary 'So and so was so devoted to their career that they didn't have time for a personal life'.

I really did not expect anything salacious along the lines of 'Ballard was such a prolific rug muncher, there wasn't a chorus girl in New York who would bend over to pick up a quarter within 50 blocks of her', but given the large number of gays and lesbians who appear in the film, both alive (Michael Feinstein, Rex Reed, Liz Smith) and dead (Paul Lynde, Merv Griffin, Roger C. Carmel) you'd think SOMEONE would've mentioned the lavender elephant in the room. The closest we get is Ballard referring to herself in the third person as having been 'from the Village'.

I found it morbidly fascinating how many interviewees seem to have gone directly from the interview to the morgue (Carol Channing, Jerry Stiller, Harold Prince, Liz Smith). Maybe that's why Dame Julie Andrews is not heard from, despite the fact that they appeared in CINDERELLA together. Poor Mimi Hines is probably afraid to buy green bananas.

BTW, did anyone else notice she changed the final lyrics in "Everything's Comin' Up Roses" to "Everything's comin' up roses for you and for me'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 16, 2020 1:08 PM

Something tells me that Kaye was asexual with an emotional attraction to women, yet she got off on applause which lead to her always being "on". I love her cabaret CD "Then & Again" which is very funny.

by Anonymousreply 12July 16, 2020 1:14 PM

R11 i loved it. Def light on her life but still an easy two hours.

by Anonymousreply 13July 16, 2020 5:22 PM

Very funny, R12. Something like when my grandmother said, "Clay Aiken acts sort of gay, but I don't think he'd really DO it..."

by Anonymousreply 14July 16, 2020 9:57 PM

She and Liz Smith were together for years and later it was some woman with an unpronounceable Welsh name.

It wasn5 bad. It’s basically a valentine but there are indications of why there wasn’t more to her career. I was surprised about her Broadway career, which I didn’t know about. OTOH, some her later roadshow stuff like Follies is treated as if it had been on Broadway. On another thread, there was mention of a one woman show that didn’t go well which gets a passing mention here. She was someone for whom a little was enough and so destined to never rise above second banana. Her singing was pretty good, but her acting/comedy need to be amped down. She lacked subtlety and seemed to revel in old, obvious jokes. Clearly did not get enough validation from her folks. Her career has been pretty non existent for a long time. Her heyday was really the 60s and 70s, although she seemed to work steadily in clubs and Broadway during the 50s. Thankfully, they don’t spend much time on The Mothers in Law and the dated, overly broad comedy of the show is pretty obvious. Sad that Arnaz, like his ex-wife Was really living in the past.

by Anonymousreply 15July 18, 2020 3:52 AM

Loved Kaye as the field hockey coach in "Freaky Friday" (1977)!

by Anonymousreply 16July 18, 2020 3:58 AM

[quote]both alive (Michael Feinstein, Rex Reed, Liz Smith

R11, Liz is fine. She sends her love.

by Anonymousreply 17July 18, 2020 4:05 AM

Kaye Ballard was on The Doris Day Show after The Mothers In Laws ended.

I'll never forget what she said about Doris Day - "God did a little dance around her when she was born." Awwwwww………...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 18, 2020 4:13 AM

[quote] Liz is fine. She sends her love.

R17 What I meant was that they were alive at the time of the making of the documentary, as opposed to archival footage

by Anonymousreply 19July 18, 2020 1:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!