Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Michael Cohen back in prison for refusing to sign papers saying no media or publishing a book

More Trump/Barr fuckery - Cohen is set to publish his book in September, Trump wants to suppress it, of course.

[quote]On Thursday morning, Michael Cohen, the president’s former lawyer and fixer, was returned to prison. Many readers like myself may have passed over the headlines for this particular event thinking it was unsurprising. After all, Cohen’s reimprisonment followed his apparently being caught on camera at a NYC restaurant in violation of conditions of home confinement. Despite initial headlines, however, the news reports explained a very different and more ominous set of facts. As the New York Times’ Maggie Haberman described, “Cohen imprisonment wasn’t related to NY Post photo of him at restaurant. When he went to switch from furlough to home confinement, he had to sign papers saying no media or publishing a book, which he refused to sign.”

[quote]Perhaps due to the flurry of news in the past forty-eight hours or perhaps due to the misperception of why Cohen returned to prison, there has been little to no significant analysis of this development (setting aside stray tweets and the like). That’s despite the availability of the peculiar agreement that Cohen was asked to sign committing not to publish a book. How peculiar is the agreement? Very peculiar. As David C. Fathi, director of the ACLU’s National Prison Project told Just Security, “I have never heard of such a spectacularly overbroad restriction on speech as a condition of probation or supervised release.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2020 9:15 PM

Trump is a Daughter-fucking criminal.

by Anonymousreply 1July 12, 2020 5:05 PM

Not sure if this it's necessary to repost this but perhaps it will get the awful taste of Maggie Haberman out of my mouth. Jeralyn Merritt knowledgably discusses this at her blog - TalkLeft. Jeralyn is a well respected and experienced criminal defense attorney.

Here's a fuller explanation by one of the best defense attorneys in the country, Jeralyn Merritt, at her blog TalkLeft. Which really isn't all that left in today's world:

Donald Trump's former lawyer, Michael Cohen, was blindsided today by the U.S. Marshals and taken into custody, to await return to a federal prison.

Cohen was furloughed by the U.S. Bureau of Prisons back in May, due to the coronavirus. A furlough is temporary. BOP decides what happens when it's over. Sometimes you go back to prison. Sometimes you go home to serve the remainder of your sentence on home confinement.

BOP decided Cohen could serve the rest of his sentence on home confinement and not return to prison when the furlough was up.

Home confinement has restrictions. The conditions are spelled out in a agreement between you and BOP. Cohen apparently had not yet begun his home confinement because he and BOP had not agreed on the terms.

According to Cohen's lawyer, Cohen and his lawyer went down to the U.S. Marshal's office today to sign the agreement.

But Cohen balked at a condition that he can't have contact with the media or write a book. Cohen has been very public about his book deal and that he's been writing it. His lawyer wanted to negotiate the book and media restrictions with the Marshal's Service, and instead, they took Cohen into custody claiming he rejected the terms of home confinement, and since the furlough was over, he had to go back to prison to finish his sentence.

So Cohen tonight is at MDC in Brooklyn where he will await designation to a new facility. When he was sentenced, BOP honored the Judge's recommendation that he go to the camp at Otisville, but now it's between BOP and Cohen. Cohen's lawyers may file a motion with the Judge protesting the arrest, but Cohen's judge doesn't regard him in a favorable light. (Cohen had requested compassionate release from the judge before asking for a furlough and the judge was quite emphatic that would not happen.)

Now about that dinner out . . . Cohen was on a furlough. Clearly, he thought he was allowed to do so otherwise he wouldn't have sat outside on the restaurant's patio for hours. Is he allowed to do so?

Here is a recent furlough contract with conditions.[link in original article] Of course, there's a place for special conditions and we don't know if Cohen had any. But the conditions we do see don't say he can't go out to dinner -- they say he can't travel outside the "extended area" of his residence. Since the restaurant was very close to his apartment, I doubt he could be considered to have left the "extended area." In any event, I think it's vague and for that reason, any ambiguity should be resolved against the drafter, which is BOP.

But, would the Marshals have been so adamant about refusing to even discuss the media and book restrictions had they not been embarrassed by the big photo of Cohen enjoying himself at an expensive restaurant while on a medical furlough? According to one article I read, Cohen's lawyer said today, draw your own conclusion.

Or, did William Barr order Cohen's arrest to prevent another scathing book about Trump to be released before the election? The courts didn't stop John Bolton or Mary Trump, so maybe Barr figured it was his job to do so to protect Trump. (I don't think Trump is clever enough to come up with such a plan on his own).

Anyway, tongues will wag about this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 12, 2020 7:56 PM

Further analysis by Jeralyn:

And the fact that the Marshals left him and his lawyer for 90 minutes after he said he wanted to negotiate the media part and came back with the shackles suggests to me they contacted the AUSA's who then tried to get hold of Barr for instructions. That also fits with why the Marshal's said "it's too late" when he offered to sign when he saw the shackles. I would have left with my client after 30 minutes and left a handwritten note for them to call me when they were ready to continue the signing. No way does anyone leave you waiting at a Marshal's office for 90 minutes (unless your client is being being processed for release after signing his bond and they are f*king with you.)

Jeralyn’s opinion on Roger Stone commutation:

that is the judge's fault

she should have granted his request for a delay of 90 days due to coronavirus. Every other defendant in that district was granted such a request and it was office policy, according to the defense brief. He wasn't a flight risk or a danger to the community, it really should have been no skin off of her teeth but she got vindictive and Trump reacted as he always does -- he's the king and no judge will mess with his friends. Maybe DOJ ought to start turning the cases of Trump pals over to the state courts where Trump has no pardon or clemency power. Especially states with Democratic governors.

by Anonymousreply 3July 12, 2020 8:01 PM

Oh dear. COVID's gonna get him while he's back in prison. So sad.

by Anonymousreply 4July 12, 2020 10:09 PM

[quote]Home confinement has restrictions. The conditions are spelled out in a agreement between you and BOP. Cohen apparently had not yet begun his home confinement because he and BOP had not agreed on the terms.

So why did they let him out on home confinement before an agreement was in place?

by Anonymousreply 5July 12, 2020 10:14 PM

michael cohen is a jackass. He should have been keeping a low profile. Instead he was out flouting his release

And he should have finished that book a long time ago. What was he waiting for? After the election, no one will give two shits about him.

I don't even care what he has to say about trump. Nothing anyone says about trump can shock me and the deplorables will still support trump, no matter what

by Anonymousreply 6July 12, 2020 10:33 PM

History will literally slaughter Trump, so why bother trying to delay anything coming out.

by Anonymousreply 7July 12, 2020 10:34 PM

He is a disbarred convicted felon. I try not to feel so bad when I recall how he spent close to a decade destroying people's lives in the name of Trump. A real sociopath, just like his former idol. We are all safer with him in prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8July 12, 2020 10:37 PM

I'm not a fan of Cohen, but this is another clear example of Trump's friends getting let off and Trump's enemies getting shafted.

by Anonymousreply 9July 12, 2020 10:37 PM

R9 Hey, you catch on fast.

by Anonymousreply 10July 12, 2020 10:42 PM

R8 here. Click on the link and enter Michael Dean Cohen and see for yourself he is officially dunzo as an attorney thanks to his dedication to Trump and his criminal actions.

by Anonymousreply 11July 12, 2020 11:04 PM

Why isn't Manifold still in prison? Trump seems to rule the world and laws are not followed.

by Anonymousreply 12July 12, 2020 11:25 PM

He’s planning to release his book in late September. He’s a sleaze, but he has all the receipts. And he was in the room when Trump talked to Stone about Russia/WikiLeaks helping his campaign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13July 13, 2020 2:35 PM

Michael Cohen was in the room where it happened...The room where it happened...The room where it happened!

by Anonymousreply 14July 13, 2020 7:19 PM

[quote] Michael Cohen was in the room where it happened...The room where it happened...The room where it happened!

Was there milk involved?

by Anonymousreply 15July 13, 2020 8:02 PM

I want to bang his son. He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 16July 13, 2020 8:09 PM

You're right, he is cute. It must suck to have a father who is a felon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17July 13, 2020 8:13 PM

He might be a damaged bottom after all this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18July 13, 2020 8:14 PM

He's going to get suicided in prison, you watch.

by Anonymousreply 19July 13, 2020 8:16 PM

[quote]Michael Cohen was in the room where it happened...The room where it happened...The room where it happened!

Back off, bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 13, 2020 8:21 PM

Michael Cohen should know better than most, that if you lie with dogs you get fleas.

by Anonymousreply 21July 13, 2020 9:20 PM

No, you back off, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 22July 13, 2020 9:22 PM

Michael Cohen was Donald Trump's fix-it man of so many years. Of course he was going to take the rap

by Anonymousreply 23July 13, 2020 9:28 PM

This book will be the companion piece to Mary's, bringing up the criminal business practice end. I look forward to its publication.

by Anonymousreply 24July 13, 2020 9:37 PM

Melania's best friend has a book coming out.....that should be a page turner!

by Anonymousreply 25July 14, 2020 1:02 AM

Did we really expect a sleaze like him to follow the rules? He got an incredible get outta jail free card- and he blew it.

by Anonymousreply 26July 14, 2020 1:12 AM

BREAKING FROM NYT: Judge orders Michael Cohen released from prison and back into home confinement, saying government retaliated against him.

by Anonymousreply 27July 23, 2020 3:51 PM

R27 Now this is going to be interesting to watch.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2020 3:59 PM

NYT: A federal judge on Thursday ordered that Michael D. Cohen be released into home confinement and said he should be allowed to finish writing a book that has been billed as a “graphic” tell-all memoir about Mr. Cohen’s former boss, President Trump.

The judge, Alvin K. Hellerstein of Federal District Court, found that prisons officials had acted against Mr. Cohen because of his desire to write the book when they returned him to prison this month after he had been released on a medical furlough.

“I make the finding that the purpose of transferring Mr. Cohen from furlough and home confinement to jail is retaliatory,” the judge said. “And it’s retaliation because of his desire to exercise his first amendment rights to publish a book and to discuss anything about the book or anything else he wants on social media and with others.”

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2020 4:08 PM

Yep! Seemed pretty obvious to me. How awful to be cheering on sleaze bags but I always harken back to the days when principles mattered. Like the ACLU defending the Nazi First Amendment right to march in Skokie.

by Anonymousreply 30July 23, 2020 4:59 PM

A Federal judge has released Michael Cohen a 2nd time saying he was sent back to prison as retribution for not agreeing to not publish his book while on furlough.

Trump must be livid. He's probably sitting in a soiled Depends right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31July 23, 2020 5:58 PM

I want to see Michael Cohen naked.

by Anonymousreply 32July 23, 2020 7:04 PM

Why?

by Anonymousreply 33July 23, 2020 7:06 PM

Totally off topic: his son is cute....

by Anonymousreply 34July 23, 2020 7:11 PM

Thank god there are still many decent judges. Vote the Republicans out before they ruin the decency we have left.

by Anonymousreply 35July 23, 2020 7:15 PM

Excellent.

by Anonymousreply 36July 23, 2020 8:55 PM

R32 I find him attractive too but he's probably cute eeew.

by Anonymousreply 37July 23, 2020 9:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!