Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Central Vacuum System - Would You Buy One?

We had one growing up in our house and I never thought much about it. I thought it was normal. But these days it seems pretty archaic and I've never seen ANY house with this kind of system. Are they more popular in certain parts of the country?

Would you install one if price wasn't an issue to replace a regular vacuum or would you rather have a top of the line Dyson?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2020 3:19 AM

Central vacuum systems waste energy and are prone to clogs and leaks over a fairly short timeframe. Locating and repairing a leak often means knocking holes where the lines run.

by Anonymousreply 1July 11, 2020 12:37 AM

I have one in my 4 level townhouse. Used it once 25 years ago. Not very effective.

by Anonymousreply 2July 11, 2020 12:56 AM

That was a 60s to 70s suburban thing, the advantage was the main unit was usually located in the garage limiting dust resetting back in the house. With today's Hepa Filters that is not an issue.

by Anonymousreply 3July 11, 2020 1:21 AM

R3 OHHHHHHHH! Well that makes sense, they're basically obsolete. Mystery solved ladies and gentlemens.

by Anonymousreply 4July 11, 2020 1:28 AM

And put my housekeeper out of work? I guess a few socially irresponsible people would like that.

by Anonymousreply 5July 11, 2020 1:31 AM

They're very common in mid to high level RVs. They make a lot of sense in that use.

by Anonymousreply 6July 11, 2020 1:32 AM

If money were no object, I’d prefer to have no carpeting in my house. Do central vacuums work in tile and hardwood?

by Anonymousreply 7July 11, 2020 1:56 AM

A top of the line Dyson is also a piece of shit. Get a Miele instead.

by Anonymousreply 8July 11, 2020 1:58 AM

Those were wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy before cordless vacuums. Can you even buy one anymore? No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9July 11, 2020 2:16 AM

yea there a plenty of companies that still install them, I just never see them.

by Anonymousreply 10July 11, 2020 2:18 AM

Unless you’re vacuuming bare floors, why use a vacuum that doesn’t have rotating bristles to comb up all the dirt?

by Anonymousreply 11July 11, 2020 2:50 AM

My mother-in-law built a house in 2008 and had one installed. I had never seen or even heard of one before. So apparently you can still buy them.

They seem annoying.

by Anonymousreply 12July 11, 2020 2:53 AM

Mista B and Missy just got one. I can’t wait until Sport goes to bed latuh so I can test it out on my hooha.

by Anonymousreply 13July 11, 2020 3:04 AM

Best Buy has a sale on Dyson v7 vacuums tomorrow (Saturday, Nov 28) - in store or online. Normally, $400, on sale for $200.

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2020 12:12 AM

My parents have had one in three houses. The best one was in their last house. This little vacuum thing in the kitchen that you could sweep crud into.

by Anonymousreply 15November 28, 2020 12:30 AM

I don't know anything about buying/installing - but one of our houses we had built had it, and I loved it. Now that the new (very old) house we are in doesn't have it, I really miss it.

by Anonymousreply 16November 28, 2020 12:34 AM

I have been thinking about getting a maid for the first time in my life lately. After Covid is stabilized, of course.

I’m just so sick of cleaning and doing chores and laundry and vacuuming and taking out the broom and the dust pan. It takes me all day and night to clean a space that is not large in terms of sq ft. it seems like it’s endless and a then complete mess again in 3 days.

by Anonymousreply 17November 28, 2020 12:48 AM

^ then, only clean every 4 months.

by Anonymousreply 18November 28, 2020 1:13 AM

taking out the broom and the dust pan

Please tell me you don't actually use that nowadays and it was just an euphemism.

by Anonymousreply 19November 28, 2020 3:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!