Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Erdogan further dismantles Ataturk's secular legacy. Hagia Sophia now a mosque.

Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, has formally converted Istanbul’s crowning architectural jewel, the Hagia Sophia, from a museum into a mosque – a politically charged decision that has drawn international criticism but delighted his conservative base.

Turkey’s highest administrative court, the council of state, paved the way for the move after it ruled unanimously on Friday to annul a 1934 cabinet decree that stripped the 1,500-year-old building of its religious status.

Erdoğan signed a presidential decree turning the hugely symbolic site back into a Muslim house of worship almost immediately after the ruling was announced.

how long can this fucker last?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2020 8:06 PM

Barf.

by Anonymousreply 1July 10, 2020 7:03 PM

What's going to happen to all of those uncovered Byzantine mosaics in the building, since any depiction of human beings inside of mosques is strictly forbidden?

I'm guessing the foyer and the galleries (where the majority of the mosaics are located) will remain a museum of some sort, while the central space will become a mosque. But then again, this is fucking Erdogan we're talking about - it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to put some sort of curtains over them.

You know how fucked up Turkey is becoming when someone decides to undo Ataturk's personal decree and the people are fine with it. Years ago something like this would cause an uprising among the people.

by Anonymousreply 2July 10, 2020 7:12 PM

R2 They will be covered up. No muclim will worship in front of Christian or any other images.

by Anonymousreply 3July 10, 2020 7:14 PM

This is what happens when religious zealots come into power in a secular government and people allow them to run rampant and destroy the separation of state and religion.

by Anonymousreply 4July 10, 2020 7:22 PM

They were covered up previously for centuries, and the whitewashing of them actually preserved them; so they will probably be okay.

I do not think the building will remain a mosque once Erdogan dies or is finally removed from office.

by Anonymousreply 5July 10, 2020 7:24 PM

He's like Putin. Removing him from office without a military coup will be very difficult.

by Anonymousreply 6July 10, 2020 7:32 PM

The Turks and their disgusting legacy marches on.

by Anonymousreply 7July 10, 2020 7:47 PM

And another religiously psycho middle eastern country making religiously psycho decisions is shocking why? Everyone with a brain knows to stay away from the Middle East. Let them be crazy, hopefully they'll implode like Yemen and Syria.

by Anonymousreply 8July 10, 2020 7:51 PM

I think this mosaic in the main apse is the most problematic one, because unlike the others it can be seen right from the central space. The imagery itself isn't really that problematic, because Mary and JC are venerated in Islam too, but muslims aren't fooling around when it comes to the prohibition of human figures (and even animals) being depicted on the walls of their shrines.

I can definitely see a curtain or some sort of a screen in its future, which will probably cover the mosaic during prayer times. And hopefully it will be uncovered when the mosque will be opened for tourist visits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 10, 2020 7:56 PM

R9 That mosaic will likely be destroyed. The museum will be renovated to better fit the visual requirements of a conservative mosque.

by Anonymousreply 10July 10, 2020 7:58 PM

If UNESCO is involved in the conversion I have faith they'll preserve everything. If the Turks are on their own the black market will soon be flooded with everything within. Place your order now

by Anonymousreply 11July 10, 2020 8:05 PM

[quote] If UNESCO is involved in the conversion I have faith they'll preserve everything.

FYLTAE.

by Anonymousreply 12July 10, 2020 8:07 PM

UNESCO won't be able to do shit. They can remove Istanbul from World Heritage List if any irreparable damage is done to the building, but that's pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 13July 10, 2020 8:15 PM

Turkey can end up being verboten for tourists destinations, which will wreak havoc on their overall economy.

by Anonymousreply 14July 10, 2020 8:26 PM

[Quote]UNESCO won't be able to do shit.

r13. Why talk out your ass? Turkey has been party to the UNESCO World Heritage Convention since 1983. UNESCO most certainly will be involved in an effort to "protect and preserve" the building and its contents per the terms of the Convention

by Anonymousreply 15July 10, 2020 8:44 PM

[quote]He's like Putin. Removing him from office without a military coup will be very difficult.

He's like Putin AND TRUMP. Removing him from office without a military coup will be very difficult.

by Anonymousreply 16July 10, 2020 9:19 PM

First they destroyed the Parthenon. Now they will re-destroy on of the world's most magnificent churches.

by Anonymousreply 17July 10, 2020 10:32 PM

I'm sure the Greek Orthodox will have no problem when the Turks defile their most revered and historic church.

by Anonymousreply 18July 10, 2020 10:58 PM

The Jews, Trump’s friends, are mad, huh?

by Anonymousreply 19July 10, 2020 11:10 PM

[quote] FYLTAE.

What does this mean? I looked it up on Google and could not find anything.

by Anonymousreply 20July 10, 2020 11:18 PM

[quote] What does this mean?

R20, from your lips to Allah’s ears.

by Anonymousreply 21July 10, 2020 11:23 PM

Why did you think anyone would recognize that as an acronym?

by Anonymousreply 22July 10, 2020 11:25 PM

[quote] Why did you think anyone would recognize that as an acronym?

I didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 23July 10, 2020 11:28 PM

Erdogan never stops committing genocides (Kurds), invading countries (Cyprus, Greece, Libya, Syria, Yemen), and all this with the benevolence and permission of his friend Trump. You Americans fucked the whole world up and as usual you only cry for your own fate.

Erdogan, is an Islamist and nationalist who wants to recreate the Ottoman Empire, he is also one of the worst homophobic leaders on the planet. He is provoking France too and all because of Trump, whom Erdogan calls twice a week. Erdogan is one of the foreign leaders to have interfered in the American presidential election and y'all still do not realize that the damage of Trump does not only concern your country of egotistical, ungrateful and narcissistic pos! I'm so FED UP!

by Anonymousreply 24July 11, 2020 12:35 PM

terrible, Hagia Sofia is an international symbol of inter-faith harmony.

by Anonymousreply 25July 11, 2020 12:37 PM

Calls Trump on his insecure phone at the golf course, no less.

Let’s not forget how his bodyguards wiped up the street with the blood of protestors in New York City. Caught on film and no charges filed.

Hopefully this won’t end like the Buddha statues destroyed by the Taliban.

by Anonymousreply 26July 11, 2020 1:05 PM

Im tired of the middle East. Arabs Jews Muslims Iranians they have been a blight on the planet for thousands of years. I don't care what they do or do to each other. They can all go to their respective hells.

by Anonymousreply 27July 11, 2020 10:56 PM

Inter-faith harmony with muslims? Are you daft?

Maybe erdogan's actions will cause a truthful discussion about islamic imperialism, genocide, slave trading and owning, and the unbelievably hate-filled is;amic texts.

by Anonymousreply 28July 11, 2020 11:07 PM

Apologize and atone for the Armenian Genocide.

Boycott vacations in Turkey.

by Anonymousreply 29July 12, 2020 12:00 AM

It is an incredible building.

by Anonymousreply 30July 12, 2020 1:13 AM

I’m usually against US organized coups, but I’m genuinely sorry that the US botched the coup in Turkey during the Obama Administration.

by Anonymousreply 31July 12, 2020 1:14 AM

[QUOTE] Im tired of the middle East

I hear what you’re saying, but technically Turkey straddles Europe and Asia.

by Anonymousreply 32July 12, 2020 1:15 AM

UNESCO has already renamed extremely ancient and foundational Jewish sites "mosques", and is doing their best to write Judaism out of the history of the Western Wall and Temple Mount. UNESCO is about as trustworthy as the UN Human Rights Commission.

by Anonymousreply 33July 12, 2020 1:20 AM

If Turkey had a gay prime minister, the building would be re-purposed to a shrine to THIS Saint Sophia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34July 12, 2020 1:35 AM

Friday prayers.

The tyrant’s popularity will rise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35July 24, 2020 11:13 AM

Meanwhile, I sill wait for justice.

by Anonymousreply 36July 24, 2020 12:03 PM

What R2 said, are they going to destroy the ancient mosaics?

Glad I visited before this idiot became dictator oh sorry I mean president.

by Anonymousreply 37July 24, 2020 12:06 PM

r18 Perhaps we'll get another song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 24, 2020 12:20 PM

Song for Erdogan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 24, 2020 12:22 PM

I was there. It’s a gorgeous building. I don’t care what it is used for as long as I can still visit and gawk at it.

by Anonymousreply 40July 24, 2020 12:27 PM

NPR had some exiled Turkish general on this morning flogging a completely unsupported theory that Erdogan faked the coup attempt. Anything to slander the "evil" countries. Good thing they are on this story. Don't worry about those unidentifed federal troops invading your city though....

by Anonymousreply 41July 24, 2020 1:40 PM

SJW Islamic apologists say what?

by Anonymousreply 42July 24, 2020 4:00 PM

You are supposed to call me Boris, R42.

by Anonymousreply 43July 24, 2020 4:22 PM

[Quote]. UNESCO is about as trustworthy as the UN Human Rights Commission.

I think you mean the UN Human Rights Council, but you do understand I'm sure how this weakens your argument

by Anonymousreply 44July 26, 2020 8:49 AM

Who cares? Christians have razed for more temples and holy sites.

by Anonymousreply 45July 26, 2020 9:01 AM

Justinian was a ruthless persecutor of Jews and all non-Christians. Not a single Christian monastery or church built between 313 AD and 1693 is legitimate IMO.

Muslims worshipping at it unfortunately is the best way to preserve it. It should be converted into a museum that educates on the atrocity of religion, particularly the hideous legacy of the Christian Empire during the time it was built to present day.

by Anonymousreply 46July 26, 2020 9:17 AM

Justinian didn’t rule the entire Christian world. Plus, he was an equal opportunity tyrant. Nevertheless, do we want to measure the modern world by the mores of over a thousand years ago?

by Anonymousreply 47July 26, 2020 9:43 AM

[quote] he was an equal opportunity tyrant.

This statement is unequivocally false to anyone acquainted with Roman law.

by Anonymousreply 48July 26, 2020 9:49 AM

Justinian I

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49July 26, 2020 9:51 AM

[quote] You know how fucked up Turkey is becoming when someone decides to undo Ataturk's personal decree and the people are fine with it. Years ago something like this would cause an uprising among the people.

This. I spent a few months in Istanbul in the mid 90s and Ataturk's legacy was practically untouchable. People truly seemed to love him and see him almost as a deity. That is why I strongly believe Erdogan's reign will very possibly be short-lived since there just are so many generations of Turks who grew up believing in Ataturk's secular ideas. They will rise again, unless Erdogan manages to purge enough of them. That said at the time I was there Turkey was still a cruel and backwards country with goats being slaughtered on the streets even if some parts of Istanbul seemed very modern and Western European.

[quote] NPR had some exiled Turkish general on this morning flogging a completely unsupported theory that Erdogan faked the coup attempt.

Right after the coup attempt it was widely speculated or even believed that Erdogan most certainly was behind it by being aware of it beforehand and egging the preparations on behind the scenes. He then used the coup to become a dictator. I felt so bad for all the wonderful people I'd met in Istanbul since I knew most of them were more into open Western lifestyle and had nothing to do with fundamentalist Islam. To my knowledge most Turks were Muslims in the same sense most of us are Christians: We might go to church once a year or once every two years, if even that.

I visited Hagia Sofia and it's sad to see what's happening right now. Still, tourism is huge for Turkey and I doubt even Erdogan dares to kill that cash cow by going too extreme. If he does the push back will be massive, and he's either pushed out or Turkey will truly become a fundamentalist nation.

by Anonymousreply 50July 26, 2020 9:54 AM

hi Islam apologist R45!

by Anonymousreply 51July 26, 2020 10:41 PM

are Turks considered POC?

by Anonymousreply 52July 26, 2020 10:43 PM

The F E T I S H lovers haven't stopping cumming since it's been announced!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 53July 26, 2020 10:45 PM

[quote]Turkey can end up being verboten for tourists destinations, which will wreak havoc on their overall economy.

Istanbul is one of the top tourist destination cities in the world. Millions visit it from Europe, the Middle East, the rest of Asia, and Africa. You think because they’re having religious services in the HS that’s going to “wreck havoc” with tourism? That’s rich.

by Anonymousreply 54July 26, 2020 10:55 PM

nobody likes to visit a fundamentalist Islamic gay hating women forced in veils country

by Anonymousreply 55July 26, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote]#ICYMI: Jordanian Professor Ahmad Nofal Justifies Erdoğan's Decision to Turn Hagia Sofia into a Mosque, Adds: When We Liberate Palestine, We Will Uproot the Synagogues and the Jews and Throw Them into the Sea - MEMRI

Nofal also denounces Ataturk as a collaborator and a Donmeh Jew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 28, 2020 5:38 AM

Pretty city, clean, vibrant, few women in veils, hope they don’t just roll over for Erdogan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57November 22, 2020 7:49 PM

I hope this is a lesson to North Americans to. It let evangelicals get out of hand or let Muslims get too pushy in our countries

by Anonymousreply 58November 22, 2020 7:52 PM

How long until Erdogan replaces Atatürk on Turkish currency?

by Anonymousreply 59November 22, 2020 8:04 PM

[quote]You know how fucked up Turkey is becoming when someone decides to undo Ataturk's personal decree and the people are fine with it. Years ago something like this would cause an uprising among the people.

Exactly. In the past this would've resulted in a military coup. Also, to add to R50, I was in Turkey in 2011, and noticed how much everyone loved Atatürk then too. Whatever is happening has happened quite quickly.

It's interesting too, and maybe not surprising, that a lot of the support I've seen for Erdogan comes from Turks outside of Turkey. One girl I know was basically: "Pah! Secularism!" which kinda shocked me, as I'd only ever heard Turks be supportive of secularism and Atatürk before - including this girl. However, those friends of mine who live in Turkey still are all over Facebook with pics of Atatürk and rants against what is going on.

R8 you don't understand. Turkey hasn't been like those other countries you mention.

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2020 8:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!