Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone Watching Netflix's JU-ON: Origins TV Series?

Waaaaaay more fucked up than any of the films were.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2020 8:27 AM

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2020 1:58 AM

How fucked up, OP??

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2020 8:32 AM

Rape, ripping out babies, killing pregnant women, murdering and abuse of small children. Don't get me wrong, it's incredibly well-done and actually has a message, but it is REALLY disturbing, and I say this as a fan of horror films, and someone who doesn't get shocked by very much. It's basically a rape revenge tale and the cycle of abuse.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2020 9:57 AM

But is it rape-revenge rape-revenge?

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2020 12:19 PM

Meh. I’ll wait for the musical.

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2020 12:42 PM

R3 thanks for answering. It certainly sounds more intense than that clusterfuck of a reboot which came out this year.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2020 1:43 PM

It's entirely different and I know that reboot was atrocious. This series is supposed to be the TRUE story of what those films were based on, thus giving the writers creative freedom to do what they want, to tell the story they want to tell and not have to worry about whether or not it connects to everything that happened in the films. It's very, very shocking. I found the original Grudge films entertaining. I wouldn't say that they were necessarily overly disturbing. That's the difference with this show - it's REALLY disturbing. I don't want to give any spoilers but they really went to places that I'm surprised even Netflix allowed them to explore. It's also not one big CGI crapfest. It's very simplistic in its approach and it isn't one jump scare after the next. It reminds me of The Exorcist. It's more psychologically intense and then the shocks happen. It's only 6 episode, a half hour each. It's perfect. Not too long, not too short.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2020 10:29 PM

OK, so I went and watched it OP and I'm on episode 4. I have no idea what's going other than a lot of gruesome things and the timelines keep jumping. I'm going to need a recap for this.

by Anonymousreply 8July 6, 2020 4:15 AM

I needed that too, r8. The Ju-on films were exactly like that. It's almost a joke.

This site has episode by episode recaps.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9July 6, 2020 2:35 PM

Thank you kindly R9!

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2020 3:06 PM

I prefer the Japanese films to the Hollywood remake.

But I never found the Japanese originals that scary or interesting.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2020 3:14 PM

It’s the cycle of abuse and the house is cursed. Time overlaps times do victims see other victims of the past and future in the house.

by Anonymousreply 12July 6, 2020 3:18 PM

One complaint I've seen, is that the ju-on curse is never really explained in how it works. It's just a mindless rage that kills everything it comes into contact with it. There's no slowing it down, there's no subduing it, it cannot be defeated.

Maybe western audiences are used to seeing a hero vanquishing a villain, but at the same time, it can get a bit tedious knowing what the end will be. That is, the grudge will always win.

Even in eastern folklore, is there no way to defeat ghosts and demons? are they considered omnipotent or something?

by Anonymousreply 13July 6, 2020 3:20 PM

Thank you R5 !!! LMAO...

by Anonymousreply 14July 6, 2020 3:21 PM

More violence! I want to hear children screaming in terror!!

by Anonymousreply 15July 6, 2020 3:26 PM

i believe a lot of it is based on Japanese folklore.

by Anonymousreply 16July 6, 2020 3:51 PM

the oriiginal movies where scarier in my opnion

by Anonymousreply 17July 6, 2020 3:54 PM

>>were

by Anonymousreply 18July 6, 2020 3:58 PM

R17 I second that

by Anonymousreply 19July 8, 2020 8:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!