Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The "My Three Sons" filming technique is coming to a tv near you

I recently learned the Fred MacMurray would come in and film the majority of his scenes for the season by himself and then the footage was used in subsequent episodes. He would come in for an occasional day to film others when needed but most of his work was solo.

I have a friend working on a new series and doing the same thing. He is by himself in a studio with remote cameras and a directors voice filming scenes for a new tv show. On other days, other actors are there and they will use computers to bring them all together. Yesterday one of his co stars 'zoomed' in her performance so he had someone to react to.

There will be no normal tv season next year but there may be some bits hobbled together like this.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2020 12:05 PM

"Hobbled" being the key word here.

by Anonymousreply 1July 3, 2020 9:49 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2July 3, 2020 12:11 PM

Very good visual R2

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2020 12:13 PM

OP, Brian Keith worked in the same manner on "Family Affair".

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2020 12:17 PM

Family Affair did the same thing with Brian Keith. They were both produced by Don Feddersen. His son Greg was on Family Affair and other son Mike Minor was on Petticoat Junction.

Kathy Garver says the unusual filming of Family Affair was odd for her and Sebastian Cabot as they were both adults (she was 18), so Cabot and her had to be on set at 6am and often wouldn't leave till midnight. With Brian Keith's scenes shot first, then the two children had to have their scenes shot quickly as their time on camera was limited, they often had to say their lines reading to a set worker and then they would splice the scenes in.

She said she'd film a scene with Buffy and her part was read by a cigar smoking teamster would be cut out and that led to some odd times.

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2020 12:21 PM

This is interesting. I wonder if it will affect performances? It must be expensive

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2020 12:23 PM

“And the Emmy for Best Piece of Masking Tape Affixed to A C-Stand for Eyeline goes to...”

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2020 12:49 PM

I do applaud those who are trying to create content. We will have to see how it is all hobbled together.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2020 1:56 PM

Don't we mean cobbled together?

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2020 2:31 PM

I heard somewhere that Family Affair was filmed this way.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2020 2:39 PM

How was Family Affair filmed?

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2020 2:41 PM

See R2

While I probably should have said cobbled, his graphic of what hobbled is makes more sense considering what we might see.

Pron and hobbled.

by Anonymousreply 12July 3, 2020 3:40 PM

This has gotta be the worst year ever.

by Anonymousreply 13July 3, 2020 3:42 PM

For most of us there still are plenty of good series to be found on all the streaming services or On demand on cable.

by Anonymousreply 14July 3, 2020 3:51 PM

I'm gonna watch Family Affair and make myself some Peach Hobbler.

by Anonymousreply 15July 3, 2020 4:20 PM

Why don't you watch Gimme, Gimme, Gimme or Birds of A Feather? These two old British sitcoms should be gay classics.

by Anonymousreply 16July 3, 2020 4:30 PM

They don't have to do this. As R14 said, there are literally dozens of shows that sound interesting that many people haven't had a chance to watch. After years of peak television, we could all keep going on what's already been made for the next 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 17July 3, 2020 4:39 PM

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme, was one of the worst bits of shit I have ever tried to watch.

If Birds of a feather is similar I am afraid.

by Anonymousreply 18July 3, 2020 8:46 PM

Gimme, Gimme, Gimme was awesome. At times I hated watching it because it reminded me how shitty my life was. But I loved it as well and enjoyed the comedy from the start.

by Anonymousreply 19July 3, 2020 8:55 PM

Isn't that how they apparently shot some of the last seasons of Desperate Housewives because everyone hated Terri Hatcher so much? She was green/blue screened in.

by Anonymousreply 20July 3, 2020 10:34 PM

This sounds very familiar.

by Anonymousreply 21July 3, 2020 10:41 PM

[quote]There will be no normal tv season next year but there may be some bits hobbled together like this.

Even beyond the networks, many of the actors themselves don't want to go in and do work traditionally.

When a crisis is so bad you have sports players who make millions of dollars a year taking a pass on playing to sit a year out there's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 22July 3, 2020 10:43 PM

Whitney Houston will star in an all-hologram sitcom this Fall called "Nippy". She plays a famous star who buys a small Georgia town.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 4, 2020 12:01 AM

"What an innovative TV series filming technique that none of us would ever have thought of using!"

by Anonymousreply 24July 4, 2020 5:04 AM

And now, bitches... I'm reading for my close-up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25July 4, 2020 5:32 AM

R24 wasn't Will and Grace live audience...how could they do that?

We know the Good Wife did it with Archie and the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 26July 4, 2020 12:05 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!