Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Facebook boycott gains momentum

Facebook is coming under mounting pressure from major companies to rein in hateful content on the platform or risk further loss of ad revenue.

In the past week, companies like Patagonia, The North Face, Ben & Jerry’s and REI have joined the Stop Hate for Profit campaign organized by civil rights groups in the wake of the police killing of George Floyd.

Organizers of the Facebook boycott acknowledge that while previous efforts to change Facebook’s platform have fallen short, the national focus on racial injustice has put a spotlight on all aspects of life, including social media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 27, 2020 5:16 PM

Facebook already censors too much. A friend of mine wrote something benign about dark skin getting ashy, on some page’s thread and his comment was deleted by Facebook and marked as “offensive”. No, bb. Not moisturizing is offensive.

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2020 6:14 PM

Delete this parasite from your devices!

by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2020 6:15 PM

Justice for Hillary!

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2020 6:23 PM

Fucking tear down the platform. It used to be simply annoying, but now it's dangerous. It got weaponized and unless Zuck & Co are willing to pop the bullets out of the chamber, it needs to be wiped from the fucking internet.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2020 6:25 PM

This guy gets away with murder.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2020 6:34 PM

“Oh, we’re just an innocent bystander!”

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2020 6:35 PM

Has Zuck ever looked like a normal human being in a photo?

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2020 6:45 PM

Not that I'd ever object to anybody boycotting Facebook but where do these corporations except to advertise now in a world where nobody in the demos they want watches television, reads magazines, or reads newspapers.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2020 6:45 PM

I've boycotted Facebook its entire existence and every indication has confirmed it was the right choice.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2020 6:48 PM

We should ban Twitter, Intsagram, TikTok, and Snapchat while we are at it.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2020 6:51 PM

Cesspit. They make datalounge look like a knitting club in there.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2020 6:56 PM
by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2020 7:11 PM

Momentum bump

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2020 7:35 PM

Zuckface boycott gains momentum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2020 7:41 PM

[quote]Not that I'd ever object to anybody boycotting Facebook but where do these corporations except to advertise now in a world where nobody in the demos they want watches television, reads magazines, or reads newspapers.

They don't use Facebook that much anymore either. And too many people use adblockers.

by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2020 9:39 PM

It's worth noting that most Trump Supporters want Facebook banned as well.

by Anonymousreply 16June 26, 2020 12:11 AM

This would hardly be considered a victory for liberals. Most conservatives want all social media banned or regulated.

by Anonymousreply 17June 26, 2020 12:13 AM

I would dance a jig on the grave of this awful creation

by Anonymousreply 18June 26, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote] Most conservatives want all social media banned or regulated.

No they don't. Conservatives wouldn't survive without spewing forth their noxious screeds on Facebook, etc.

Twitter, itself, is the aorta of the Trump presidency...

by Anonymousreply 19June 26, 2020 12:23 AM

I think this is the one issue that liberals and conservatives agree, ironically. Social media will be gone in 2 years.

by Anonymousreply 20June 26, 2020 12:30 AM

R20, that would be fine with me. Life was better before social media, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 21June 26, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote] No they don't. Conservatives wouldn't survive without spewing forth their noxious screeds on Facebook, etc.

The more radical elements would be pissed but the majority of Americans will be fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 22June 26, 2020 12:32 AM

Mark speaks the Mandarin

by Anonymousreply 23June 26, 2020 1:00 AM

Boycott - about time. The deceptive business practices and arrogance need to be curtailed. I'd happily move to another social media platform.

by Anonymousreply 24June 26, 2020 2:17 AM

Already embarked on a soft boycott of this cancer.

by Anonymousreply 25June 26, 2020 2:20 AM

[quote]Unilever says it will stop advertising products on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in US

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 26, 2020 5:51 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 26, 2020 6:41 PM

Viber too. Anyone use viber? Which of Facebook services can it replace. I'd like to leave fb

by Anonymousreply 28June 26, 2020 7:37 PM

You know what can replace FB? Actual human interaction.

by Anonymousreply 29June 26, 2020 7:38 PM

R29 Agreed, Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 30June 26, 2020 7:40 PM

I find Twitter far more toxic and troublesome than Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 31June 26, 2020 7:42 PM

How did people function before social media?

Just fine actually.

by Anonymousreply 32June 26, 2020 7:47 PM

More censorship on the way.

Zuckerberg caves and says Facebook WILL ban hate speech in its ads and put warning labels on 'harmful' posts by public figures

by Anonymousreply 33June 26, 2020 8:01 PM

R33 What's the definition of harmful?

by Anonymousreply 34June 26, 2020 8:06 PM

Is race baiting considered harmful?

by Anonymousreply 35June 26, 2020 8:07 PM

Users need to boycott facebook. Anyone still giving their personal info and pictures to that company is a chump.

by Anonymousreply 36June 26, 2020 8:09 PM

Facebook also owns Instagram and WhatsApp. What else can I boycott.

by Anonymousreply 37June 26, 2020 8:11 PM

Since he allows so many Republican ads on his site, I don't use Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 38June 26, 2020 8:17 PM

Beautiful to see advertisers deserting this platform and hitting Zuck where it matters $$$

by Anonymousreply 39June 26, 2020 9:48 PM

Facebook folded faster than Superman on laundry day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 26, 2020 9:50 PM

Why is he allowed to have that haircut?

by Anonymousreply 41June 26, 2020 9:54 PM

Tee hee!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 26, 2020 9:54 PM

This whole thing was orchestrated by the people at Friendster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 26, 2020 9:58 PM

Yes it was. HEE HEE HEE

by Anonymousreply 44June 26, 2020 10:06 PM

I've cut down on FB consumption drastically the past three years. When I do visit, it's the same "friends" spouting political bullshit (both sides). I actually get depressed reading the damn platform. I started posting on Instagram, uploading arty photos, but then, the same friends from FB started following me and now I'm seeing the political BS all over again. I'm done with this anti-social media shit.

by Anonymousreply 45June 26, 2020 10:23 PM

[quote] Color of Change, one of Facebook's loudest critics, had talks to take $2 million last year from the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative.

[quote] They decided against it — turning down free money! — because they saw it as "dirty" Facebook millions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46June 26, 2020 10:27 PM

[quote] Unilever says it will stop advertising products on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram in US

Why Twitter? They ban false political claims.

by Anonymousreply 47June 26, 2020 10:45 PM

[quote] Shares of both Facebook and Twitter were down more than 7% in mid-day trading Friday after Unilever said it would pull its advertising from the social media companies for the rest of the year.

From the Unilever statement:

[quote] "Continuing to advertise on these platforms at this time would not add value to people and society. We will be monitoring ongoing and will revisit our current position if necessary."

It sound to me that the second sentence is the key; It leaves the door open to resuming ad purchasing and if Facebook sees them renew their relationship with Twitter they may be shamed into taking similar actions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 26, 2020 11:06 PM

R47 Twitter is also responsible for radicalization and preaching to the choir. And for every false political claim they ban or flag, thousands, if not millions, of unsubstantiated claims get through. It's also become a haven for attention seekers who weaponize false accusations.

by Anonymousreply 49June 26, 2020 11:06 PM

Twitter still allows all those fake right wing bots and foreign bots to trick advertisers into spending money on fake profiles.

They make a fortune off this. Billions.

So they are no angels.

by Anonymousreply 50June 26, 2020 11:08 PM

Can you imagine spending millions on advertising to fake profiles?

The whole things a scam.

by Anonymousreply 51June 26, 2020 11:09 PM

I personally think billboards are much more effective.

by Anonymousreply 52June 26, 2020 11:09 PM

[quote] U.S. adult Twitter users are younger and more likely to be Democrats than the general public. Most users rarely tweet, but the most prolific 10% create 80% of tweets from adult U.S. users

Just imagine that. 50 million US Twitter users are getting their news from 10% of its users, which are not representative of the population as a whole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 26, 2020 11:18 PM

[quote]Coca-Cola pauses advertising on all social media platforms globally - CNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54June 26, 2020 11:25 PM

I was never a big Facebook poster but I deleted my account several weeks ago. I fucking loathe Zuckerberg, his greed, his repeated breaches around limited privacy protections, and his willingness to allow Rethugs to spread fake news. But asshole

by Anonymousreply 55June 27, 2020 1:29 AM

It's been well documented for years that social media causes

Social Isolation

Depression

Anxiety

Narcissism

Harassment

Cancellation

Stories manufactured to cause outrage

Criminal Groups who use it to organize

And yet, people want to shut down Facebook for fake ads? Some priorities.

by Anonymousreply 56June 27, 2020 1:47 AM

One small step for mankind

by Anonymousreply 57June 27, 2020 1:52 AM

Finally. Facebook is not being socially responsible.

It is not meant to be used for right-wing disinformation and propaganda. They have to wake the fuck up and look at how people will use it destructively, like any technology.

Hope this pushes them to stop all the lies that have infiltrated politics and tore up our country.

by Anonymousreply 58June 27, 2020 2:04 AM

One finds these rather convenient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 27, 2020 2:05 AM

It’s little, it’s lovely, it lights.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 27, 2020 2:25 AM

3/4ths of the accounts on Twitter are fake. None of the Trending tags happen organically. The whole thing is a dog and pony show to influence public opinion. Unless you're sure you know the person, anyone without a blue tick is more likely to be a sockpuppet account that's part of a state sponsored bot farm than a real human.

by Anonymousreply 61June 27, 2020 2:44 AM

This now would be banned as a harmful post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 27, 2020 2:56 AM

I hate that fucking platform and wish my hobby groups would leave but they won't. Nor will they send emails anymore.

So if I want to know what's going on, I need to swim in that cesspool about twice a month.

Fuckerberg needs to be blasted into space taped to the FRONT of a rocket. He's nothing but racist, bigoted scum and the world would be better off without his toxic bullshit clogging the internet.

by Anonymousreply 63June 27, 2020 3:41 AM

FB has allowed radical Muslim terrorist groups to post hate speech for years. When reported, their system would say it's not a TOS violation. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 64June 27, 2020 3:44 AM

Ow to make my move...........

by Anonymousreply 65June 27, 2020 3:51 AM

I think it's very plausible that conservatives are so stupid that they want Facebook banned without fully comprehending how that would affect them personally.

I mean, these are the same people who want to get rid of healthcare, even if it would kill them and their families.

by Anonymousreply 66June 27, 2020 3:56 AM

I do as well, R31. Lately I've been reporting trolls (brand new accounts, 0 followers) who have made death threats or slurs to me specifically, and within 30 minutes Twitter emails me to tell me they didn't break any rules.

They don't even give me a notification when I report tweets that were made to others, though. I used to get an automatic notification but not anymore. I don't think they're even moderating.

by Anonymousreply 67June 27, 2020 4:01 AM

Holy moly @r54!

If Coca Cola pulls out, that’s a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 68June 27, 2020 4:04 AM

These platforms are nothing but hate engines. And they make billions off of scraping people’s data.

People should be getting at least a cut of the money from their own data.

by Anonymousreply 69June 27, 2020 4:05 AM

Another social media site is Quora, it is infested with Russian farm accounts who stir up shit, and they just let them, funny it is run by two former Facebook employees. I was doing more reporting on obvious cranks than reading the posts, so I deleted my account.

by Anonymousreply 70June 27, 2020 4:59 AM

Who needs it?

by Anonymousreply 71June 27, 2020 5:10 AM

Zuckerburg sucks Trumps cock

by Anonymousreply 72June 27, 2020 5:38 AM

Boycott bump.

by Anonymousreply 73June 27, 2020 5:04 PM

Keep it going.

by Anonymousreply 74June 27, 2020 5:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!