Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

White Noise

I have a hard time sleeping without a fan or some type of white noise maker to block out sound.

Do you need white noise to sleep?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2020 3:03 AM

How do people sleep listening to every bird chirping and things that go bump in the night?

by Anonymousreply 1June 25, 2020 4:35 AM

"White noise," OP? That's racist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 25, 2020 4:37 AM

The continual screams of thousands, dying of Coronavirus puts me right to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 3June 25, 2020 4:42 AM

I have trouble falling to sleep unless the radio is on. I listen to Coast to Coast AM during the night.

by Anonymousreply 4June 25, 2020 4:43 AM

I need to have a fan going when I go to sleep. I find absolute quiet unsettling for some odd reason.

by Anonymousreply 5June 25, 2020 4:43 AM

If I don't have the air on full blast in a hotel, I can't sleep hearing all of the slamming doors and banging housekeeping staff.

by Anonymousreply 6June 25, 2020 4:45 AM

[quote] I listen to Coast to Coast AM during the night.

I hope you listen to the Art Bell episodes rather than those with George Noory.

by Anonymousreply 7June 25, 2020 4:46 AM

I have tinnitus in both ears and I learned a long time ago that the sound of the window fan helps to cancel out the high pitched sounds that are even louder in a quiet bedroom. I always need some kind of sound going to get to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 8June 25, 2020 4:50 AM

I would be concerned about hearing any commercials from the TV or radio influencing my subconscious unknowingly while I sleep.

by Anonymousreply 9June 25, 2020 4:51 AM

I keep the fan on if my apartment neighbor is being loud, otherwise I listen to delta waves on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 10June 25, 2020 4:55 AM

I’ve had a noise canceling machine for the past ten years and I use it every night. The sound I prefer is like that of a fan in the window in the summertime. But there are many options within rainfall, seashore/wave action, night animal chirps, babbling water and others. I still sleep well on the occasional night when I travel; I haven’t become addicted to it. But I do sleep much better than I did before having the machine.

by Anonymousreply 11June 25, 2020 4:56 AM

I wish I lived on the ocean so I could hear the sound of the waves at night. I love staying in hotels on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 12June 25, 2020 5:00 AM

I was in a friend's apartment when she had her white noise machine on and it drove me crazy. I like peace and quiet at night when I go to bed - no fans, machines, etc. and I do just fine.

by Anonymousreply 13June 25, 2020 5:01 AM

I have my radio on ALL night at the end of the dial. Just static(white noise) since 1995.

by Anonymousreply 14June 25, 2020 5:03 AM

Black noise matters!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 25, 2020 5:03 AM

[QUOTE]I would be concerned about hearing any commercials from the TV or radio influencing my subconscious unknowingly while I sleep.

THAT must be why the other day I woke up with an inexplicable urge to buy Cindy Crawford's "Meaningful Beauty" products!

by Anonymousreply 16June 25, 2020 5:08 AM

White noise whilst sleeping has been my godsend the last 10 years or so. I had an old school, whirring and purring white noise machine, and then my ex bought me an electronic one (more compact, same sound output). I only take half a melatonin when I'm excitable and can't calm down my mind. Otherwise, the white noise does the trick to send me to Dreamland.

by Anonymousreply 17June 25, 2020 5:09 AM

Unfortunately I live in a California city that's 100% mexican. The only white noise machine that could drown the infernal noise these people make would be one that reproduces the sound of a 747 taking off.

by Anonymousreply 18June 25, 2020 5:15 AM

[quote] 100% mexican

[quote] these people

You're Mexican?

by Anonymousreply 19June 25, 2020 5:16 AM

As a kid, I used to fall asleep to the static on TV. At midnight, most channels would play the national anthem and then sign-off until morning. That reminds me of summer as a kid, because I got to stay up late enough to see them sign-off. Good times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 25, 2020 5:17 AM

Howard Stern said he buys a box fan from Walgreens or CVS whenever he travels and then leaves it in the room.

by Anonymousreply 21June 25, 2020 5:21 AM

In fact for easily ten years I did use a fan as a white noise machine and before that had a cd of rain sounds (no music or birds) for the same purpose. Haven't needed either for two or three years though.

by Anonymousreply 22June 25, 2020 5:24 AM

Do any of you have noisy upstairs neighbors? I sleep with 2 white noise machines and have paid for wall-to-wall carpeting and padding in the rental apartment upstairs. I need total quiet but sometimes it's hard living in an apartment in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 23June 25, 2020 5:24 AM

Birds can be insanely loud.

by Anonymousreply 24June 25, 2020 5:26 AM

I have a fan going and listen to an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000 to fall asleep.

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2020 5:40 AM

For the white noise, I use an air conditioner for ~8 months. Off season, I use a humidifier and air purifier

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2020 6:02 AM

By "white noise" do you mean Murder, She Wrote reruns on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries? Yes, I go to sleep to white noise every night.

by Anonymousreply 27June 25, 2020 7:05 AM

"Also, you're listening to a white noise machine of whale sounds on top of an NPR podcast."

I don't think I could sleep to whale sounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28June 25, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote]By "white noise" do you mean Murder, She Wrote reruns on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries?

I fall asleep to MSW almost every night. There's something about that show that I find very comforting, especially the earlier episodes.

by Anonymousreply 29June 25, 2020 4:40 PM

Fans are good for dogs who hear every little sound to fall asleep.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2020 10:19 PM

Am I the only one who uses an app? I usually pick rain, no thunder.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2020 10:27 PM

I have to have a fan running or I can’t sleep.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote]Am I the only one who uses an app? I usually pick rain, no thunder.

Same. Plug my phone into the clock radio charger and go to sleep to the sound of heavy rain.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2020 10:30 PM

All the white noise that we just don’t need

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2020 10:33 PM

When I moved to suburbia from the city, the sound of silence was terrible, creepy even. It wasn't the only reason I left: the commute had a lot to do with it, but it played a part in my departure.

The sounds of the city - the sounds of the occasional car, a snitch of conversation, even a siren now and then - reassures me that I'm alive and living somewhere that things are happening. And that thought gets me to sleep in five minutes tops.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2020 10:37 PM

For me, there is something really helpful about a low-key sound (as a gay guy, I prefer the pink noise!) that makes the strange, random sounds less noticeable and therefore less irksome. There are some good apps that provide this sort of sound (along with a large digital clock, in some cases). The key is to keep the volume as low as possible while still getting the job done.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2020 10:40 PM

In the smart phone era I use the white noise app on my IPhone when I travel but years ago I have on more than one occasion bought a box fan while on vacation and left it behind!

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2020 10:49 PM

I ask Siri to play one of the seven ambient sounds available on my HomePod. Night is my personal fave.

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2020 11:24 PM

I use a Dohm white noise. It's good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39July 1, 2020 12:29 AM

I use a white noise machine to cover the screams.

by Anonymousreply 40July 1, 2020 3:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!