Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Retired and Living in a Van!

This lady is retired and living in a nice van. She travels all around the country in this van. Inside she has everything she needs, even a little toilet! I could totally see myself doing this in 15 years when I retire. Has anyone else done this? Or thinking about this?

I didn’t intend on watching the whole video but I’m glad I did. This lady is so cool!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2020 7:23 PM

I think about nothing else. I want out so badly.

by Anonymousreply 1June 20, 2020 9:33 PM

I like her dog.

by Anonymousreply 2June 20, 2020 9:39 PM

I have a feeling she travels about 10 mp under the speed limit in the left lane.

by Anonymousreply 3June 20, 2020 9:41 PM

With her right blinker blinking!

by Anonymousreply 4June 20, 2020 9:46 PM

I'm truthfully surprised how nice it looks, but still no.

I have an uncle in his early 70's that lives full time in an RV (a large one) and while he is fine, he gets stranger and stranger. The isolation just can't be good. Plus he has occasional issues with getting healthcare, banking, etc. Some coil went out on his RV, and it was major drama to get it fixed because he was in the middle of nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 5June 20, 2020 9:46 PM

Only weirdos do this.

by Anonymousreply 6June 20, 2020 9:49 PM

No. It's very ugly in there. I like high design minimal vans made for pretentious creative types, or sexy trust fund bobos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7June 20, 2020 10:00 PM

Does she ever park it DOWN BY THE RIVER?

by Anonymousreply 8June 20, 2020 10:06 PM

I love the questions: Do you shower... Can you fit inside the bathroom.

Shadeeeeeee

by Anonymousreply 9June 20, 2020 10:23 PM

If you have a Bm in the van toilet does it smell? Where does the waste go?

by Anonymousreply 10June 20, 2020 10:41 PM

I would never want to do that, it's just a step up from being homeless. I would think you'd have to be hyper aware of your surroundings, always trying to figure out where to stay. I've seen a few of these types in my city and you can tell they're living on the road, their rig is filthy and they have stuff tied on. I would be a wreck living like that, it's all very Mad Max. I would rather have a roomate situation than live like that.

by Anonymousreply 11June 20, 2020 10:52 PM

I think I’ve seen her. She takes a dump on the side of the highway, shuffles her feet like a dogs back legs and then runs back to her van and speeds to the next state line.

by Anonymousreply 12June 20, 2020 10:55 PM

I wouldn't mind having a fabulous high tech tent, but the size of the old army tents we used to have as middle-class families going to camp grounds - the kinds with rooms.

Or maybe an Arab tent.

I would love to live in one of those for a month or two in an appropriate climate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 20, 2020 11:02 PM

I once read an article about the number of retirees who just live on cruiseships. It works out at about the same as a home, the foods better, and is certainly more interesting. Granted we now also know they're disease ridden cesspools. But then so are care homes.

by Anonymousreply 14June 20, 2020 11:02 PM

She shouldn't have spent her time smokin' too many doobies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 20, 2020 11:10 PM

I've thought about doing this, but then, I've realized there would be nights where there wouldn't be any place to park the van except the parking lot of the Walmart in Methcooking Falls, ND. Basically, I wouldn't attempt it unless I had a full autoshop in my van or RN and new how to repair everything in the van myself if I got stuck somewhere, and I had a gun.

So it's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 16June 20, 2020 11:17 PM

I think about it, but the rootlessness and vulnerability intimidate me. I do admire the design principles on some of these vans, but the tight limits on water and energy would be hard to manage. Also, looking for places to park while you sleep. I think RV parks can be expensive over time, and you have to find “dumping stations” to empty sewage on RV’s that have a tank of black water. Also, relatives and friends sneer about you “driving a sewage tank around”. But if I did undertake this, I would have a Sprinter Van with a longer wheelbase, and had the bed above the cab, not in the rear of the van. I’d also have a propane heater, stove, fridge and toilet. The propane toilets can incinerate your waste into a teaspoon of odorless, sterile ash. I think that’s they way to go. I really do think about this. I’d stay in the far north in summers and midAtlantic coast in winter. I think in Really expensive cities like San Francisco, people do this in stealth form, because rents are so high. I would be afraid of kids banging on the side of the van late at nigh, simply to wake you up and menace you. You would be very vulnerable to things like that. Also theft.

by Anonymousreply 17June 20, 2020 11:35 PM

A reminder that it’s possible to live cheaply and you don’t need $1 million to retire. She gives me hope.

by Anonymousreply 18June 21, 2020 12:42 AM

R18 - you could also live in a studio apartment cheaply. Why do people think this is a fun way of life? It isn't. It's like the TinyHouse idiots who find out they can't live anywhere they want and it's a nightmare to move.

These people are psychotic. And do you know how much it costs for water and electric in an RV park? About $40-$60 per night.

You cannot just park anywhere and sleep overnight. And, if you do, watch out for theft.

This is a living nightmare. Why aren't there ever any videos of people who tried these things and learned it was a big mistake?

by Anonymousreply 19June 21, 2020 12:49 AM

And her van wasn't cheap. They run about 80K new.

by Anonymousreply 20June 21, 2020 1:00 AM

If you watch the video she seems really happy! Then again she’s a raw vegan so there must be a screw loose somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 21June 21, 2020 1:08 AM

R13 I stayed in a Bedouin tent in the Negev desert in Israel, enjoyed it thoroughly until I saw a scorpion.

by Anonymousreply 22June 21, 2020 10:03 AM

[quote]They run about 80K new.

That's on the low end. My wife and I thought of getting one for road trips, but I did the math and it's cheaper to stay in hotels.

by Anonymousreply 23June 21, 2020 11:37 AM

I would be scared of drunks breaking in as I slept or someone setting the van ablaze. Too vulnerable

by Anonymousreply 24June 21, 2020 1:20 PM

I would totally do this if I had the means to. Living in the city is horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 25June 21, 2020 1:26 PM

She probably freezes her tits of in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 26June 21, 2020 1:31 PM

[quote] Then again she’s a raw vegan so there must be a screw loose somewhere.

Aren't raw vegans usually a lot skinnier than that? What does she eat - cashews and peanuts by the pound?

by Anonymousreply 27June 21, 2020 1:40 PM

Where does she bathe, the kitchen sink?!

by Anonymousreply 28June 21, 2020 2:26 PM

The Westfalia's are less hobo-homeless in style, and better priced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 21, 2020 2:44 PM

There's a lake with cabins and rvs, and some nice lake houses, near my city. CHEAP! I'm really considering it. Most have been built over and added onto. Sewer and electric.

by Anonymousreply 30June 21, 2020 2:48 PM

[quote]Aren't raw vegans usually a lot skinnier than that? What does she eat - cashews and peanuts by the pound?

She's hiding the Oreos somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 31June 21, 2020 3:50 PM

I watched the video - it was interesting, OP. She was an eco toilet that cost $1000 but turns waste into odorless compost. From what she said, though extremely expensive, it's one of the only options that doesn't stink up the van and requires no blackwater, she had that removed. The shower words by opening the door and the curtain extends out into the kitchen. The drain is in the kitchen floor that she keeps covered with a little carpet when not in use. The point of the van is not necessarily b/c she is a nomad (she has 3 kids & grandkids) but she loves the freedom of travel. She spends $225/annually for an RV park in Phoenix where her family is to have a home base but is rarely there. I like the idea, it seems fun, but I need stability in my life. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 32June 21, 2020 4:31 PM

Where would I put my milk glass collection?

by Anonymousreply 33June 21, 2020 4:33 PM

what's insurance cost on those things?

might as well pay rent somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 34June 21, 2020 4:34 PM

What happens when she starts to deteriorate? I mean, not when she’s on her last legs, but when she’s no longer capable of driving and living that sort of nomad life?

I could see doing this when you’re physically fit, say, a person working remotely who just needs access to data or wifi. But as an elderly person? Nah. You need a nest with nearby medical and preferably friends and/or family.

by Anonymousreply 35June 21, 2020 4:40 PM

They have RV parks especially for seniors. You rent by the month and they have various amenities. This place is $460/month plus electric. You can't get into a retirement apartment community for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 21, 2020 4:47 PM

I didn't get the vibe that this is b/c she is poor or had no options, R34. She wants the freedom to constantly travel.

by Anonymousreply 37June 21, 2020 4:53 PM

r34, 400-600 per month.

by Anonymousreply 38June 21, 2020 4:53 PM

R35 - She has 3 grown kids. They require her to check in with them wherever she goes and provides the cross streets on where she lands. It sounds like they all have a good relationship.

by Anonymousreply 39June 21, 2020 4:55 PM

No way she pays only $225 annually for a space in an RV park in Phoenix. That's not even one month's typical rent. Bullshit.

And don't think that RV parks is this lovefest, social community of like minds who are open to everyone. They are not. There are a lot of weirdos, people who keep to themselves, and some major cliques. There are some friendly people, but don't think this is like some commune where peace and love abounds.

If you think this is a great way to spend your senior years - who is stopping you? But this is not a great option for most people.

by Anonymousreply 40June 21, 2020 5:06 PM

I think it's insane.

by Anonymousreply 41June 21, 2020 5:08 PM

I actually do think about it sometimes but wouldn’t want to do it on a permanent basis. I love those Mercedes Sprinter Vans.

by Anonymousreply 42June 21, 2020 5:09 PM

I you have a spell of depression, you'll be stuck in a Walmart parking lot dealing with it~

by Anonymousreply 43June 21, 2020 5:10 PM

I couldn't do it. I need a lawn and a pool and a patio for BBQ. I have too much enjoyment in having a lawn to maintain and a nice chill spot in the back.

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2020 10:13 PM

Whatever floats your boat, R44.

For me though the idea really IS appealing, I adore travel and road trips, and don't really like being tied to a permanent home. If I could live in an upscale hotel full-time, I would, and if I thought I would actually enjoy living in a van or RV that's always on the move, I'd do it!

But really, there would be too many worries to make a lifestyle out of it. Worrying if the gas-hog I'm driving will make it to the next gas station, cautiously scanning each RV park I came to for methheads and MAGA bumperstickers, wondering what the hell to do when the "check engine" light comes on in a part of Newfoundland without habitation or cell service, wondering if I dare park for the night by a scenic riverside that appears to be deserted, etc. But also, it'd bring out a characteristic of mine I don't particularly like, which is the constant feeling that things are more fun somewhere else, and that if I stop and enjoy the moment I'll miss out on something better. That really would keep me moving and driving, instead of enjoying where I am.

by Anonymousreply 45June 22, 2020 12:03 AM

Whatever floats your boat, R44.

For me though the idea really IS appealing, I adore travel and road trips, and don't really like being tied to a permanent home. If I could live in an upscale hotel full-time, I would, and if I thought I would actually enjoy living in a van or RV that's always on the move, I'd do it!

But really, there would be too many worries to make a lifestyle out of it. Worrying if the gas-hog I'm driving will make it to the next gas station, cautiously scanning each RV park I came to for methheads and MAGA bumperstickers, wondering what the hell to do when the "check engine" light comes on in a part of Newfoundland without habitation or cell service, wondering if I dare park for the night by a scenic riverside that appears to be deserted, etc. But also, it'd bring out a characteristic of mine I don't particularly like, which is the constant feeling that things are more fun somewhere else, and that if I stop and enjoy the moment I'll miss out on something better. That really would keep me moving and driving, instead of enjoying where I am.

by Anonymousreply 46June 22, 2020 12:03 AM

Apologies if I posted twice.

by Anonymousreply 47June 22, 2020 12:28 AM

[quote] She's hiding the Oreos somewhere.

Hey, Oreos are actually vegan.

by Anonymousreply 48June 22, 2020 12:44 AM

Good for her. She probably has ZERO stress by not giving one single fuck about what people think.

by Anonymousreply 49June 22, 2020 12:59 AM

[quote]She probably freezes her tits of in the winter.

Yeah. Or maybe she could drive somewhere down South for the winter...

by Anonymousreply 50June 22, 2020 1:07 AM

This is one of those ideas that sounds totally cool in theory. Reality probably not so much.

by Anonymousreply 51June 22, 2020 1:08 AM

I prefer not to live in a house that requires a brake.

by Anonymousreply 52June 22, 2020 1:18 AM

So she pays $225 per MONTH (not year) for her RV spot.

I wonder how many nights she actually stays in the van - and how many nights she stays with frequent visits to her kids/grandkids and to various friends, siblings and other relatives around the country who actually have homes.

Something tells me she's more of a traveling mooch than this independent traveler. She says she babysits her granddaughter often and there are different 'family situations' she deals with.

There's always more to this story. She's not living in this 365. Hey, nothing wrong with shuttling around - but they're making it out like this is her main home. It's her vehicle that she also camps in - but it's not anywhere close to 365.

by Anonymousreply 53June 22, 2020 1:25 AM

If you think of it that way, R53, if she has demanding kids who are always whining that they can't afford childcare and grandma needs to come and babysit for a while, then the van is as good a way to deal with the situation as any. When she goes to see them she can see the world on the way, the gas is cheaper than airline tickets, the van is cheaper than a house, and when she gets there she has her own ride and her own bedroom. And she can leave whenever someone pisses her off.

Come to think of it, all house guests should bring their own spare room.

by Anonymousreply 54June 22, 2020 3:53 AM

I'll place this here.

Not saying for sure if this is the same man who has now transitioned, but the ages fit. Just sayin'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 22, 2020 4:12 PM

I'm a clothes horse, so pass.

by Anonymousreply 56June 22, 2020 5:10 PM

Nothing about that sounds remotely fun. What's wrong with you people?

by Anonymousreply 57June 22, 2020 5:49 PM

This lady’s van is the best looking one I’ve seen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2020 5:14 PM

I think you reach a certain age where all of your possessions start to become more of a burden than a pleasure, and then once you've handled a few estates of deceased relatives with all the junk they accumulated too, the idea of chucking it all and living very very minimally becomes appealing. I'm not saying I'd like this myself, but I definitely get why people fantasize about this kind of lifestyle.

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2020 7:11 PM

R59 Exactly. I want to streamline my life, and keep only things I really love and enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 60July 7, 2020 7:18 PM

I hate driving. This sounds like a nightmare to me.

Does anyone just retire and stay in the same place? I never understood this "I'm retired, now I must change my whole live and move somewhere far away" mentality. When I'm done work I just want to stay in my home and stay relatively local. Is that weird?

by Anonymousreply 61July 7, 2020 7:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!