Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Movie Endings That Filled You With Rage

If you haven't seen the film Arrival I'm going to spoil it for you here. Amy Adams is told that she will have a child who will die young. Knowing this will definitely happen she decides to have a child anyway. She doesn't tell the father that his only child is destined for a short life and brutal death. He doesn't get a choice. There's a scene where the little girl is dying and asks her mother "Why is this happening to me?". It's happening because her mother is a selfish cunt.

by Anonymousreply 103June 21, 2020 12:05 AM

Mystic River annoyed the hell out of me. The protagonist was murdered because of hearsay.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2020 5:33 AM

The plot twists in "The Village", "Identity" and "Jacob's Ladder". So annoying.

by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2020 5:37 AM

I co-sign the Mystic River ending. The asshole murdered an innocent man (who was also a sexual aasault survivor btw) and he was rewarded by that vomit inducing speech, by his cunt wife, of him being a king and thus did nothing wrong.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2020 7:29 AM

Titanic. Seriously, what would it have hurt to show that beautiful ship steaming into New York Harbor under her own power?

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2020 7:54 AM

The Wizard of Oz. I was sure Elvira Gulch was going to pop round the corner any minute to snatch up Toto.

No closure on that at all.

by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2020 8:08 AM

Endless Love- it wasn't just the ending, the whole movie bugged me.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2020 8:12 AM

One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest Ok a brilliant book, in my opinion . But I just can’t fucking stand it when they lobotomize Jack Nicholson. But, if memory serves, the large Native American guy smothered him, and then breaks a window and runs off.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2020 8:17 AM

OP Can't she have another child? Maybe even a better one!

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2020 8:37 AM

BBM

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2020 8:40 AM

OP, a close female friend with a husband and three young kids faced a tragedy when the husband was diagnosed with an esophageal cancer. She became his primary caretaker for a year and things got gradually worse until he died at home. At some point she watched Arrival and the movie moved her deeply. She kept telling me to watch it saying it's an awesome film and I did. Unfortunately I found the movie a bit pretentious and empty, albeit extremely well-made, not unlike the director's follow-up Blade Runner 2049. I totally understood why she found it touching, though.

This was a good reminder that sometimes we don't get certain films because we just simply are unable to connect with them.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2020 8:54 AM

That the Music Man gets away with it and the librarian is complicit. They both should have been lynched and pelted with the instruments as they died.

by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2020 9:06 AM

Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast (1946) La belle et la bete

The beast was gorgeous and I was so disappointed when it changed back into that lame prince/huntsman character.

Also, I'm filled with rage at how this beautiful story has been bastardized by Disney and every high school production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2020 9:57 AM

After seeing the film, Dietrich famously said "Give me back my Beast!" (A lot of sources say Garbo but it was Dietrich.)

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2020 10:09 AM

Lizzie Borden was acquitted. Outrageous!

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2020 10:14 AM

OP isn't that all parents who choose to have kids? Life is pain.

by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2020 10:56 AM

Exactly

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2020 11:26 AM

"The Birds." After all that pecking and feathers flying around, they just decide to stop?

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2020 11:27 AM

A.I. — I was just angry at what a waste of time the overlong movie was.

by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2020 11:32 AM

Dawson's 50 Load Weekend. Where was the resolution?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2020 11:38 AM

R17, do they? My memory is that it is ambiguous whether they have stopped or it is just a lull. Similarly, are the love birds a symbol of hope, or are the humans spreading the problem by taking them with them?

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2020 11:41 AM

R20 So there's no resolution. I hate that.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2020 11:46 AM

The Birds sticks very closely to the shooting script but the last scene was never filmed because of the cost to make it look realistic. They start across the Golden Gate Bridge trying to reach San Francisco but as they go across, the bridge fills up completely with silent birds.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2020 11:51 AM

There were a couple of other alternate endings considered but they were all rejected because o costs. But in all them the ending was ambiguous. Hitchcock wanted the film to just fade to black without a "The End" card but the studio forced him to tack one on.

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2020 12:03 PM

This is more confusion than rage.

Tim Burton’s “Planet of the Apes”.

I’ve watched the film three times and still can’t figure out what the ending means.

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2020 12:16 PM

Primal Rage. The whole thing was overacted, and the end with Edward Norton was completely predictable.

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2020 12:20 PM

Everyone is over 80 years old in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2020 12:23 PM

Not end end, but in the Wizard of Oz while Dorothy is saying good bye to them all before clicking the ruby slipper, she basically bitch slaps Tin Man and Lion by saying right out in the open that she’ll miss scarecrow the most of all. To my overly sensitive child’s heart that was horrific, like “way to read a room Dorothy!” You know those other two were devastated for days and the next little girl that shows up is going be hacked by and axe or ripped to shreds by teeth.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2020 12:34 PM

teef

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2020 12:35 PM

R27 Seth McFarlane felt the same way:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2020 12:56 PM

R29 This totally made my day! Thanks! Which show was this on?

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2020 1:26 PM

[quote] "The Birds." After all that pecking and feathers flying around, they just decide to stop?

I vaguely remember Daphne du Maurier's short story ending ambitiously as well, with the protagonists ending up in a cabin that's under a furious attack by the birds and a news reader announcing on the radio how birds are attacking people all around the world. It's been decades since I read it so I might be wrong but I remember understanding the film ending better after reading the short story.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2020 1:28 PM

R6 For me it was Endless Love ending without Martin Hewitt dropping Brooke and hooking up with her brother Tom Cruise, that is the ending I needed..

by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2020 1:31 PM

Just substitute Covid for birds and the ambiguous ending of that film is exactly where we are right now.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2020 1:34 PM

I always hate the ending of Miracle on 34th Street when the littlr girl yells “STOP, UNCLE FRED, STOP!” and the music implies “DANGER” and we’re supposed to think the car might crash. Instead the kid sees a fucking house she wants to live in. I’ve seen that film over 80 times now and that final scene always pisses me off.

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2020 1:35 PM

Yes but that scene is a pay off because earlier in the film she had shown Kris Kringle a photo of a house she wanted to live in and the one they pass is identical and for sale.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2020 1:38 PM

How R34 wants to see Miracle on 34th Street end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2020 1:39 PM

R30 It's from Family Guy.

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2020 1:45 PM

You've all seen this, right?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2020 1:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2020 1:48 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2020 1:48 PM

Sorry about the triple post. I only posted once!

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2020 1:49 PM

R33 No. COVID is still attacking us.

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2020 1:50 PM

The Devil Wears Prada, where Andy renounces her future as a rich, fabulous, backstabbing cunt. Who does that?

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2020 1:56 PM

I Want to Live

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2020 2:01 PM

The ending of The Happening. I was willing to buy the premise(although not the idea of Wahlberg as a teacher) up to the end. The group walked in the field to accept their fate and suddenly the wind dies down. And that's it. No resolution, nothing. It's like the director got bored and decided to move on to his next project.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2020 2:07 PM

[quote]So there's no resolution. I hate that.

R21, then you need to see [bold]No Country For Old Men[/bold] (2007), or [bold]A Serious Man[/bold] (2009). ;)

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2020 2:08 PM

This is a much more cathartic ending to It’s a Wonderful Life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2020 2:09 PM

The Devil Wears Prada. Her boyfriend and friends are losers. Why does she walk away from a great job that she is good at for them? It’s maddening.

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2020 2:13 PM

[quote] [R33] No. COVID is still attacking us.

The birds aren’t done yet either

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2020 2:13 PM

Signs

Argo

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2020 2:28 PM

"Signs" was the dumbest Shyamalan movie next to "The Village.

So we're supposed to believe that aliens that die from a few splashes of water on them would come to take over a planet comprised of 71% water.

by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2020 2:35 PM

w/w for R43

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2020 3:41 PM

"I was the only kid in the audience that didn't understand why Dorothy would ever want to go home, it was a mystery to me.

To that awful black and white with that aunt who was dressed badly with smelly farm animals around when she could live with winged monkeys and magic shoes and gay lions. I didn't get it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2020 4:00 PM

‘I drink your milkshake!’

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2020 4:08 PM

Wasn't it mentioned that the birds were attacking based on the tide? Maybe that was just in the story.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2020 4:08 PM

Sometimes, no matter how promising the beginning might be, the ending really does fill one with anger and rage.

by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2020 4:12 PM

Agree about the Devil Wears Prada, especially when she throws her blackberry into the fountain and walks away from a job to kill for. Remember thinking the narrator in the book was a real pill who never seemed to get that the job was a sometimes unpleasant means to an end.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2020 4:13 PM

I read that , at first, Pretty Woman was a drama that ends with the hooker paid & returned to the street. I wish that was the movie that was made. I always thought the Julia Roberts version was a long road to take for a love story.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2020 4:20 PM

Less than Zero. That was exactly how I felt about the characters by the end of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2020 4:25 PM

'Nothing' fills me with "rage," OP, much less movies. I don't do "rage."

Surprise or disappointment is another matter. The recently discussed film 'Vertigo' ended quite abruptly, so much so that I exclaimed, "You've gotta be fucking kidding! That's [italic]it?[/italic]"

I'm not enraged over it, though. And I don't hate 'Vertigo' because of it. I just thought there could or should have been more.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2020 4:36 PM

[quote]"Give me back my Beast!"

R13 Thank you! I heard it was Garbo. And I agree with the sentiment - the Beast was so beautiful, majestic, and sexy in that film.

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2020 4:45 PM

The Mist (movie with Thomas Jane), The Vanishing (original), Mother, Sinister

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2020 4:49 PM

Is that the one with the fire trucks at the end R24? It was the lamest stupidest ending I've ever seen. It was preposterous.

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2020 5:00 PM

Yes R63 that was it and it sucked!

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2020 5:08 PM

I disagree, R62. The ending of The Mist was what made it good.

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2020 5:14 PM

Breaking the Waves. What a shitty, manipulative ending.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2020 5:23 PM

R62 I agree with R65. The ending of The Mist made sitting through that awful movie worthwhile. The middle of the movie sucked but the ending was very good.

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2020 5:24 PM

In the film, the bird attacks come in waves.

I thought the ending was very clear that the birds were gathering for a larger attack.

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2020 5:28 PM

R21 No Country for Old Men. The book ended in exactly the same way. I hoped that the movie would offer more but it didn't. It's as though the author and the director just gave up.

by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2020 5:28 PM

I also liked the ending of The Mist. A rare good ending from Stephen King.

As far as bad endings, how has nobody mentioned Hereditary??? OMFG, I wanted to punch someone after that shit. Hated it!!!

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2020 5:32 PM

R70 "Hereditary" was shit from beginning to end, but especially at the end. I can't believe I sat through that whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2020 5:34 PM

Hereditary was OK but pretty overrated. It goes completely off the rails in the last third of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2020 5:34 PM

The book version of The Mist has a different ending.

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2020 5:34 PM

The Boy in the Stripe Pajamas

So we are supposed to be outraged by the holocaust because one little-christian-nazi-boy dies by mistake? That is what we are supposed to be outraged about?

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2020 5:35 PM

R73, I saw an interview with SK where he says he fought for the ending of the movie. I think the original story was a short story that ended kind of ambiguously.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2020 5:37 PM

R74, did you care about the Claude/Berger mix-up/death in the film version of Hair?

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2020 5:38 PM

R73 Can you spill the ending of The Mist book? There are a few of us upthread who enjoyed the movie ending. How did the novel end, please?

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2020 5:39 PM

Gone With the Wind. Scarlett works hard and ends up with a rich, hot husband, social position, a mansion in the best part of town, a beautiful young daughter, etc., etc., etc. Then suddenly it all goes south, so to speak, and she ends up in that ramshackle old farmhouse out in the sticks.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2020 5:41 PM

R73: Exactly! I read the Mist (book) before watching the movie and was pissed!

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2020 5:44 PM

After the survivors seek refuge in a hotel the narrator hears the word Hartford through radio static. He decides to continue on despite the group's uncertain future.

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2020 5:56 PM

I thought the ending of The Mist was brilliant AND it filled me with rage. The two aren't mutually exclusive, I don't think. It was 100% right, and I never want to have to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2020 6:00 PM

Country For Old Men

by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2020 6:04 PM

The ending of War of the Worlds totally sucked. Yeah, like the son really made it back up to Boston from New Jersey before Tom Cruise’s character did.

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2020 6:38 PM

Hereditary has grown on me since I first saw it. I think the majority of the film is pretty terrific, but the ending with Toni Collette's headless body floating up into the treehouse is way too much. It makes me laugh. Even if they'd just cut out that one shot, it would have been better. The issue is the huge exposition dump at the end. Makes the movie go out with more of a whimper than a bang. However, the ending to Aster's Midsommar is terrific and probably the best part of the film.

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2020 6:48 PM

The Green Mile. A mentally challenged but gifted black man is sent to death row for the rape and murder of two little white girls with Tom Hanks as the nanny. John Coffey (gifted black man) uses his supernatural powers to cure Tom Hanks of his penis problem, free of charge of course, once Tom Hanks realizes just how gifted Coffey is he decides to completely exploit his good nature and proceeds to smuggle the guy out of death row and into the house of the cunt warden to help save the life of his tumor riddled bitch wife. At no point does Tom Hanks explain any of this to the warden, he just shows up unannounced in the dead of night almost getting Coffey's head blown off, how do you think the warden was going to react?!... What is clear at this point is that Tom Hanks is an asshole (an incompetent one at that) however that's not how his character is intended to appear in the film he's supposed to be the "good guy" just doing his job. There are several instances in the film that demonstrate what a big asshole Tom Hanks is even bigger than that brat Percy who was a pretty sadistic little creep. Tom Hanks made no effort to curb Percy's sadism, even allowing him to torture Delacroix to death while he was literally on the death chair. A difficult scene to get through I might add. So we're near the end Coffey uses his gift to show Tom Hanks the truth of who murdered those two little girls, turns out he's innocent. Tom Hanks does fuck all to help Coffey, no attempt whatsoever to get his death sentence overturned no alerting the public that this man is innocent and not only is he innocent but he has MAGIC HEALING POWERS, for God's sake man! Do one decent thing you asshole. It's not like he couldn't bust him out of prison again.... So Coffey is killed and we're supposed to feel sorry for Tom Hanks old ass.

Also Tom Hanks wife is a major cunt. She got to enjoy mind blowing sex that she never experienced before in her life thanks to the expense of Coffey's cock restoring wizandry. If it wasn't for Coffey she would be still riding that limp infestation that is Tom Hanks todger for the rest of her life. She is the one who suggested exploiting Coffey's goodness and she is the one who encouraged Tom Hanks to keep everything about Coffey a secret including his non-guilt. I would have rather seen this bitch fry at the end along with Tom Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2020 8:12 PM

Shawshank Redemption, the ending was satisfying but I thought the warden's death-by-suicide was a cop out. I would've liked there to be a scene where the warden and Byron returned to Shawshank as inmates. That would've been the cherry on the cake.

by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2020 8:21 PM

OP you missed a major plot point. The alien visitors do not experience time in a linear fashion, and their life experience is not hindered by knowing the future, as was explained when one of them dies and Amy is giving her condolences, which he explains are appreciated, but not necessary. The lesson she learns in going to have the child, is that knowing the future still does not steal away the present - live in the moment was the message of the movie. True, perhaps she made a choice and neither her nor her (husband?) were actually prepared or evolved enough to feel this way.....but nonetheless, having the child again was a significant event for the plot and the story telling.

by Anonymousreply 87June 19, 2020 8:24 PM

How different life would be had I known my little Jonbenet was destined to be a pint sized Jezebel!

by Anonymousreply 88June 19, 2020 8:24 PM

The ending of Brazil enraged me irrationally. Gilliam gets you rooting for the protagonist's escape, and then it turns out imaginary.

Too bad; it was otherwise a good satire.

by Anonymousreply 89June 19, 2020 8:27 PM

I saw one recently called The Night Clerk. The ending was a big WTF along with Helen Hunt's plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 90June 19, 2020 8:31 PM

R85, you're forgetting that Hanks offers to allow Coffey to escape but Coffey is tired of it all and wants release from all the pain of the world (he's an empath). The guy who killed the girls is already dead. Percy get his too.

by Anonymousreply 91June 19, 2020 8:38 PM

"Big Chill," "Albert Nobbs," "The Wife," "The Natural" -

I haven't seen them, of course, but from what people tell me the endings were ridiculous and offensive.

They all should have ended like I've heard "Fatal Attraction" ended.

It's the only end that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 92June 19, 2020 10:47 PM

R87, you missed the point of the OP's post.

The entire movie was a sop to a twat's personal issues. A chance to communicate and know extraterrestrial life, technology, wisdom, is all subsumed into Adams' character's baby shit.

A deeply misguided and ultimately creepy movie because of this. A shame because it distracted from the focus of the communications, which was the point fo the fucking film.

It had other serious flaws, such as a simplistic plot and soppy themes compared to the visual scale and buildup, but the I'M GOING TO LOSE THE BABY piece was enraging. I wanted to kick her in her cunt bone. Villeneuve is a shit director and Chaing wrote a short story that didn't work as a movie.

"Time is not linear" is not a response to "the movie ending was crap and she held information back from the father of her doomed brat." That character DID live in linear time, and her dishonesty was just another "my twat's rights outweigh any rights of my sperm donor" screed.

by Anonymousreply 93June 19, 2020 10:57 PM

Dawson's Fifty Load Weekend. I expected to see a rosebud.

by Anonymousreply 94June 19, 2020 11:04 PM

r94 Too late, it got thrown into the fire years before.

by Anonymousreply 95June 19, 2020 11:29 PM

Funny that people seem to have forgotten that awful "Bird Box" from a couple years ago. That ending SUCKED.

by Anonymousreply 96June 19, 2020 11:31 PM

R96, the entire movie was overrated. Another example of hype.

by Anonymousreply 97June 20, 2020 12:08 AM

The House of Sand and Fog

Jennifer Connelly and Ron Eldard should have died at the end, not the Iranian family.

by Anonymousreply 98June 20, 2020 1:51 AM

Dr. Strange. There is perhaps one fuckable heretic who dies early on, but then every other character behaves luke a snotty baby requiring a shoe slapped against their head.

by Anonymousreply 99June 20, 2020 2:12 AM

Back to the Future. A Reagan's America ending.

by Anonymousreply 100June 20, 2020 4:53 AM

Back to the Future. A Reagan's America ending.

by Anonymousreply 101June 20, 2020 4:53 AM

I have to agree with Dawson’s.

Serious third act problems.

by Anonymousreply 102June 20, 2020 5:34 AM

There was an awful remake of John Carpenter's The Fog and the whole film is terrible, but the ending was pretty terrible where the lead female turns out to have been a reincarnation of some dead pirate's lover and she joined him on the other side. It was beyond hokey.

Pretty much any movie where it turns out a major character has been a ghost or been insane this entire time. It feels like such a cheat.

Howe about the French horror movie High Tension where, in the last 10 minutes, it's revealed that the killer has actually been the heroine who's obsessed with her best friend? It was such a great, intense movie up until that point that my friends and I walked out of the theater fuming.

by Anonymousreply 103June 21, 2020 12:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!