Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stephen Sondheim & His Partner Have 48 Year Age Difference

Stephen Sondheim lives with his partner Jeff according to an interview with the Telegraph. They’ve been living together for over 6 years. Jeff works, according to Sondheim in ‘Cyberspace’.

What could they possibly have in common to talk about over the dinner table?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183June 25, 2020 4:37 PM

Whatever the richer one prefers.

by Anonymousreply 1June 18, 2020 3:53 PM

Who's whipping whom?

by Anonymousreply 2June 18, 2020 3:54 PM

That’s an old pic. Both have not aged well.

by Anonymousreply 3June 18, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote] That’s an old pic. Both have not aged well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 18, 2020 3:59 PM

They probably talk about what they've read on Datalounge and Mr. S always asks if Pamela Myers called....

by Anonymousreply 5June 18, 2020 4:02 PM

What do they talk about? HIS WILL.

by Anonymousreply 6June 18, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] What could they possibly have in common to talk about over the dinner table?

The same thing a grandfather would talk to his grandson about.

The "good old days."

by Anonymousreply 7June 18, 2020 4:10 PM

Six years together- clearly they talk about a lot.

by Anonymousreply 8June 18, 2020 4:10 PM

Disgusting

by Anonymousreply 9June 18, 2020 4:10 PM

[quote]What could they possibly have in common to talk about over the dinner table?

Whether the pasta was drained or lifted from the pot with tongs.

by Anonymousreply 10June 18, 2020 4:11 PM

Yes you are, R9.

by Anonymousreply 11June 18, 2020 4:12 PM

What does a grandfather talk about to his grandson?

by Anonymousreply 12June 18, 2020 4:13 PM

One of Jeff's best friends is Randy Rainbow so you can imagine their conversation is like DL Broadway gossip thread.

by Anonymousreply 13June 18, 2020 4:14 PM

Usually not fucking.

by Anonymousreply 14June 18, 2020 4:14 PM

R8 They've been together a lot longer than 6 years. At least 15, and I'm pretty sure longer than that.

by Anonymousreply 15June 18, 2020 4:14 PM

Apparently they do a lot of talking based on those massive bags under his eyes. Jesus, grandpa. Let the poor guy sleep every once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 16June 18, 2020 4:16 PM

Well that's creepy.

by Anonymousreply 17June 18, 2020 4:16 PM

I'll use Calvin Klein and Kevin Baker as an example.

"Honey, can you get my shoes? My back is aching."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 18, 2020 4:17 PM

I'll use Calvin Klein and Kevin Baker as an example.

"Honey, can you get my shoes? My back is aching."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 18, 2020 4:17 PM

Sweetie open the door for me, would you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20June 18, 2020 4:18 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw CK and Kevin at the Grove.

Kevin's attentiveness to the older CK was actually sweet.

It was like watching a doting nephew or grandson tending to his older uncle or grandfather.

I'm not being flip. I saw the guy kinda watching out for CK.

It's accepted when old men date younger woman, but of course the gays get ripped to shreds.

When I'm ancient, I'd love to have someone watching out for me; screw the sex -- I just want to be taken care of and I'll pay for it. If I have the money.

by Anonymousreply 21June 18, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote]screw the sex

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 22June 18, 2020 4:27 PM

Well if you have the money of a CK there's no problem.

by Anonymousreply 23June 18, 2020 4:50 PM

R23 there’s more than one?

by Anonymousreply 24June 18, 2020 4:51 PM

Any bets that Michael Feinstein made a "Me & Ira" campaign pitch for sitting next to Steve on the piano bench.

Except I don't know if Michael is up for the S&M scene involved, even as thirsty as he is.

by Anonymousreply 25June 18, 2020 4:55 PM

R21, that is a good thought, yet, gorgeous young men are always in it for the money, connections and all the accoutrements of fame. They would never give the old men the time of day without it. It’s all an act. They’re counting the days, eagerly waiting for the old fuck to die. With new found wealth, they’ll find an equally gorgeous young man for “companionship”. That’s a euphemism for “fucking.”

by Anonymousreply 26June 18, 2020 5:31 PM

R18- Not Stephen Soundheim but that FUCKIN MUMMIFIED MONKEY Calvin Klein has aged HORRIBLY.

by Anonymousreply 27June 18, 2020 6:04 PM

Royalties.

by Anonymousreply 28June 18, 2020 6:16 PM

Young people are fun to be around - everything is still exciting and a wonder. If you don't have kids, it's the next best thing to watch.

Plus they're pretty and easy to manipulate.

I get it.

by Anonymousreply 29June 18, 2020 6:18 PM

Wasn't Sondheim married to a younger guy before this one?

by Anonymousreply 30June 18, 2020 6:24 PM

I met them at a social occasion once. They were both quite fun and easy together. Very polite, and actually interested in other humans, unlike everyone else in show business. Very nice. Sorry to disappoint.

by Anonymousreply 31June 18, 2020 6:28 PM

It seems that Sondheim had a long term relationship with another young man but I don't know why that ended.

by Anonymousreply 32June 18, 2020 7:01 PM

Sondheim is actually a very, very interesting man to talk to -And he can speak on just about any subject knowledgeably, or with interest in learning. He's also a genius, which makes him sexier. It's been a few years since we talked face-to-face, but I've felt his attraction. I imagine Jeff has to stay on his toes to keep up his end of the conversation. I have absolutely no idea about their sex life (I wouldn't dream of asking) -But I sure hope its wild and crazy! If they are both happy in the relationship, the rest of us should just fuck off. That man has given me so much pleasure through the years I think he deserves all the joy, fun, and happiness he can get.

by Anonymousreply 33June 18, 2020 7:39 PM

Hi Jeff at R33

Great that you vist DL

by Anonymousreply 34June 18, 2020 7:41 PM

KA-CHING!!!

by Anonymousreply 35June 18, 2020 7:44 PM

I put up with Stephen all of last year

And I’m here!

by Anonymousreply 36June 18, 2020 7:44 PM

Ha! -I should be so lucky! No, honey. I've just worked with Sondheim. Never had sex with him.

by Anonymousreply 37June 18, 2020 7:44 PM

They talk about Caitlyn Jenner and her fabulous attire, star-studded appearajces, and revealing interviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 18, 2020 7:53 PM

I've heard that Jeff is passionately attracted to MUCH older men. It's not an act. I once saw him at the bar at The Townhouse chatting up a guy who liked he was in his late 60s. I don't know if he cheated on Steve with him.

I had dinner with them once. At one point, Steve mentioned Gloria Swanson, and said, "Jeff won't know who that is." Jeff said defensively, "yes, I do," but I got the feeling he isn't nearly the movie fan Steve is. It made me wonder what on earth they talk about.

by Anonymousreply 39June 18, 2020 8:21 PM

...looked like...

by Anonymousreply 40June 18, 2020 8:22 PM

LOL at Jeff's bio at R4 saying "When I'm off leash....."

Wonder how many people realize he means it literally?

by Anonymousreply 41June 18, 2020 8:25 PM

I want to have that when I’m old.

by Anonymousreply 42June 18, 2020 9:12 PM

So this child gets the townhouse?

by Anonymousreply 43June 18, 2020 9:13 PM

I think it's very sweet, good for them. Love is love.

by Anonymousreply 44June 18, 2020 9:16 PM

Jeff likes em old and rich. His ex was my sugar daddy for a bit. Jeff dumped him for Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 45June 18, 2020 9:24 PM

I think it’s more about what happens UNDER the dinner table that’s key, OP .

by Anonymousreply 46June 18, 2020 9:36 PM

What is it with these creeps? Why don't they just adopt like I did and that way, no one is the wiser.

by Anonymousreply 47June 18, 2020 11:13 PM

'I think it's very sweet, good for them. Love is love.'

You're so young.

by Anonymousreply 48June 18, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote] Sondheim is actually a very, very interesting man to talk to -And he can speak on just about any subject knowledgeably, or with interest in learning.

Which makes it even sadder that he's with someone 48 years younger.

Why can't gay men like this, just find someone their own age? Having a partner so much younger just makes them look fucking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 49June 18, 2020 11:43 PM

I'm in my 30's and I find Sondheim very sexy. All his interviews are fascinating and he does seem like someone who'd be great to talk to. There's something very warm and approachable about him. He's kinda like that really cool professor from college.

by Anonymousreply 50June 18, 2020 11:52 PM

R50 have you seen pictures of him lately? Sexy? No way! His money is $exy!!

by Anonymousreply 51June 18, 2020 11:56 PM

And his partner is still 86 years old ....

by Anonymousreply 52June 18, 2020 11:58 PM

Who wouldn't want to be with a genius? I get it. Age doesn't matter when you're with an icon. 6 years means it's the real deal. I love older men. So maybe it's my own bias. But if they're both happy? Eh.

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2020 12:01 AM

r49 Why do you care so much? If they're happy...

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2020 12:04 AM

Sondheim is so old that even with a 48-year age difference, Jeff is still over 40.

by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2020 12:15 AM

[quote] Sondheim explained to biographer Secrest that he was "what they call an institutionalized child, meaning one who has no contact with any kind of family. You're in, though it's luxurious, you're in an environment that supplies you with everything but human contact. No brothers and sisters, no parents, and yet plenty to eat, and friends to play with and a warm bed, you know?"

[quote] Sondheim detested his mother, who was said to be psychologically abusive and projected her anger from her failed marriage on her son: "When my father left her, she substituted me for him. And she used me the way she used him, to come on to and to berate, beat up on, you see. What she did for five years was treat me like dirt, but come on to me at the same time." She once wrote him a letter saying that the "only regret [she] ever had was giving him birth".

Yikes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2020 12:24 AM

I hope both are happy and healthy. I want only for Mr. Sondheim to be happy and feel loved.

"Anyone can whistle, " that's what they say, "easy." "Anyone can whistle, any old day, easy." It's all so simple. Relax, let go, let fly. So someone tell me, why can't I? I can dance a tango, I can read Greek, easy. I can slay a dragon, any old week: easy. What's hard is simple. What's natural comes hard. Maybe you could show me: How to let go, Lower my guard, Learn to be free. Maybe if you whistle, Whistle for me.

by Anonymousreply 57June 19, 2020 12:36 AM

[quote]Why can't gay men like this, just find someone their own age? Having a partner so much younger just makes them look fucking ridiculous.

For one thing, most gay men Sondheim's age are dead.

by Anonymousreply 58June 19, 2020 12:56 AM

I'm sure that after that horror show of a childhood, Sondheim enjoys being in control. He's older and more experienced, so he can make little needling remarks about all the things Jeff doesn't know. He's rich, so he's financially in control. Jeff is in a subservient position and can be dumped at any time, and that's the way Sondheim likes it.

by Anonymousreply 59June 19, 2020 1:12 AM

I disagree, [R59]. Sondheim has not been involved in many relationships. Sure, he has played around -But he says he had never experienced actual love until fairly recently. Six years with Jeff is significant -He has strong feelings for him, or he wouldn't keep him around. If he just wanted a toy, a plaything, he could have a fresh one whenever he wanted. He wants this man in his life. If both men are happy, then the world should leave them alone and not try to stir up trouble.

by Anonymousreply 60June 19, 2020 1:38 AM

Grandaddy issues.

by Anonymousreply 61June 19, 2020 1:58 AM

R21, you're kidding right? Just because it's very common for straight men to date women who could be their daughter (or younger) doesn't mean we don't make fun of them too. Dennis Quaid is engaged (because a 4th marriage is always THE ONE) to a woman younger than his son. He's a joke.

by Anonymousreply 62June 19, 2020 2:32 AM

'Sondheim is so old that even with a 48-year age difference, Jeff is still over 40.'

I hope Jeff has everything in writing. Sondheim can still dump him for a newer model. Wouldn't that be a kick in the head?

by Anonymousreply 63June 19, 2020 2:51 AM

"She once wrote him a letter saying that the "only regret [she] ever had was giving him birth".

I regret it too.

by Anonymousreply 64June 19, 2020 2:57 AM

Ah -Dick Rodgers, the man of infinite talent and limited soul!

by Anonymousreply 65June 19, 2020 2:59 AM

And Oscar was a limited talent! Ha!.

by Anonymousreply 66June 19, 2020 3:04 AM

But infinite soul!

by Anonymousreply 67June 19, 2020 3:47 AM

Infinite soul and a token will get you a ride on the subway!

by Anonymousreply 68June 19, 2020 9:41 AM

I always thought that Sondheim's "limited talent and infinite soul" was a nasty crack to make about his mentor Oscar. Really? The man who wrote the book and lyrics to Show Boat, Oklahoma, and Carousel? Has Sondheim written any one work that equals any of those three?

by Anonymousreply 69June 19, 2020 12:46 PM

Did Sondheim say Hammerstein had "limited talent and infinite soul"?

How rude! Why?

by Anonymousreply 70June 19, 2020 12:55 PM

I used to know the ex-Mrs. Sondheim. They were together for quite a while and I think are still friendly.

by Anonymousreply 71June 19, 2020 3:23 PM

R70, he was making a comment about Rodgers and Hammerstein. He said that Rodgers was a man of infinite talent and limited soul, and Hammerstein was a man of limited talent and infinite soul. I get that Sondheim was trying to be clever and contrast the two men, but I still can't believe he was that cruel to Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 72June 19, 2020 5:12 PM

Only another mother could truly understand.

by Anonymousreply 73June 19, 2020 5:50 PM

Sondheim has a real problem with Oscar's lyrics. For some reason especially with 'When the sky is a bright canary yellow.' Sondheim doesn't seem to get that Hammerstein had a way of connecting with people instinctively without every work appearing like a doctoral theses he spent an inordinate amount of time sweating over. And in the tradition of Broadway greats until Sondheim(and yes I consider him a great, the last one) he had huge smash hits which Sondheim never had.

by Anonymousreply 74June 19, 2020 6:26 PM

thesis

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2020 6:27 PM

He didn't really fall in love until the 80's or maybe it was the 90's. It was around the time he wrote Passion I think. He mentioned that he never would have written that if he'd never known what love was. So, I guess we have love to thank for that godawful show.

Sondheim seems like a late bloomer to me. While he was obviously talented from the start, as a person, he was stunted in many ways (probably due to his insane mother).

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2020 6:31 PM

There's no understanding of love on view in Passion. Only obsession and stalking.

by Anonymousreply 77June 19, 2020 6:36 PM

That's what I always find funny about him saying that Passion was inspired by him falling in love for the first time. I wouldn't admit to that since it's about a crazy woman who stalks some poor dude and tries to force him to love her.

by Anonymousreply 78June 19, 2020 6:38 PM

I don't know where that quote might come from. If that is a real quote, it's definitely the sauciest one you could find. I would point people towards his long-ish and more nuanced discussion of Hammerstein in the Finishing the Hat lyric book. Too bad the thing is $100 used....

by Anonymousreply 79June 19, 2020 7:14 PM

Well I'm glad I bought it immediately when it came out.

That quote I believe was in a Newsweek cover story on Sondheim in '73. Irving Berlin was so incensed he wrote a letter to the editor and subsequently Rodgers called Sondheim a 'monster. This is all a bit hazy to me now so please I welcome your corrections.

by Anonymousreply 80June 19, 2020 7:35 PM

I had not refreshed the page when I wrote my comment! I had not seen your post clarifying the quote, R80. I still can't place it, but that sounds perfectly reasonable.

The print run of Finishing the Hat must have been really small. The second book is cheap, but the first one is hard to find.

by Anonymousreply 81June 19, 2020 8:28 PM

Here's some context for that quote:

"Sondheim referred to Richard Rodgers, with whom he wrote Do I Hear a Waltz?, as 'a man of infinite talent –and limited soul.' In 1998, Sondheim said that the often repeated quote about his views on Rodgers's and Hammerstein's respective talents and souls was in response to a reporter's asking, 'Why do you think Rodgers and Hammerstein make a good team?'"

-from Sondheim and Lloyd-Webber: The New Musical by Stephen Citron

"No, Sondheim is under no illusions. He's thinks Oscar Hammerstein saved his life. And, you know, he once said that Oscar was a man of limited talent and infinite soul. And Richard Rodgers was a man of infinite talent and limited soul. So he's under no illusions about Hammerstein's shortcomings as a lyricist and his fondness for bird and fauna and flora and stars and astrological metaphors. There's an awful lot of that kind of overripe, romantic, 1920s kind of language in Hammerstein's lyrics. But at the end of the day, what Sondheim comes down in favor of is the, as he says, monumentality of the lyrics, not just the sentimentality. And the thing that is remarkable about Hammerstein's lyrics - in fact, that makes him vulnerable to criticism - is that his lyrics are so naked. They often make very sparing use of rhyme. They're not intricate, you know, triple internal rhymes the way Cole Porter's or Larry Hart's might be. But I also think it's a canard that Hammerstein can't write funny songs. I think there's no funnier song then i'm just a gal who cain't say no or with me, it's all er nothin' from "Oklahoma." Those lines are wonderful."

-Todd Purdum, author of Something Wonderful, in an interview with Terry Gross on NPR

Sondheim has repeatedly made a distinction between talent and craftsmanship. He has repeatedly said that Hammerstein's lyrics are extremely polished and well-crafted.

by Anonymousreply 82June 19, 2020 8:34 PM

'Extremely polished and well- crafted.' Oy. Talk about condescending and damning with faint praise.

How sharper than a serpent's tooth...

by Anonymousreply 83June 19, 2020 8:44 PM

Extremely polished and well-crafted are high praise in my book!

by Anonymousreply 84June 19, 2020 9:11 PM

“A little less thinking, a little more feeling,” Steve.

by Anonymousreply 85June 19, 2020 9:16 PM

Yes, the man has very strong opinions -But he at least tends to hold everyone, himself included, to the same standards. People love to quote negative stuff, but Sondheim has heaped praise upon a lot of people's work. Check out his list of "Songs I Wish I Had Written" below:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86June 19, 2020 9:29 PM

Interestingly, Richard Rodgers invested in Anyone Can Whistle. Of course, he was richer than God so I’m sure that was no financial strain for him. Which reminds me of a funny story. Apparently in the 1940s or 50s a bunch of songwriters were hanging out in one of their apartments with a view of the East River. Someone saw a barge going up the river, and one of the songwriters said something like “Oh look, they’re delivering this week’s royalty payments to Richard Rodgers.”

by Anonymousreply 87June 19, 2020 9:33 PM

R86, yes that list is nice. But it’s SO Sondheim to call it “SONGS I WISH I'D WRITTEN (AT LEAST IN PART).” Of course he had to qualify his praise, because God forbid he admire a lyric that Larry Hart wrote!

by Anonymousreply 88June 19, 2020 9:38 PM

I love Hart's lyrics. Yes they are occasionally awkward but the same can be said of Sondheim. And how can you deny the talent of a man who wrote the lyrics of 'To Keep My Love Alive?'

by Anonymousreply 89June 19, 2020 9:46 PM

Do Sondheim and his partner have sex?

Why hasn’t the partner ever suggested that Sondheim fix his droopy eyelid??

by Anonymousreply 90June 19, 2020 10:04 PM

Would you suck off sondheim?

by Anonymousreply 91June 19, 2020 10:53 PM

I bet someone like Sondheim would have a solicitor draw up a four page long Pre-nup detailing the mutual requirements such as sucking off the senior partner.

by Anonymousreply 92June 20, 2020 1:30 AM

R26, oh, I know.

I also happen to think younger women do that with older men; and maybe even woman who aren't all that much younger than the guys they're with do it for money.

And men do it for money if the woman is rich.

If I had the money, and a guy could convince me in the moment that he cares -- on whatever level for whatever reason -- I'd pay him.

A horrible existence for sure, but....so's being alone.

by Anonymousreply 93June 20, 2020 5:47 AM

48 yrs difference? His partner looks good for being in his fifties.

by Anonymousreply 94June 20, 2020 6:46 AM

I hear they argue a lot about whose turn it is to clean the dungeon.

by Anonymousreply 95June 20, 2020 6:59 AM

I wish them much happiness. I think that if you have two people who really LIKE each other, then there's a lot to talk about and share. And there are certainly many things they can learn from each other. I don't understand where age (or color or social status or anything else) have anything to do with how two people relate to each other. I think it has more to do with mutual respect and equality. Anyone who can't understand this, well...

by Anonymousreply 96June 20, 2020 7:30 AM

R19

There isn't enough money (or Viagra) in world that could get me though sex with Calvin Klein. Enough of what is seen in that picture was bad enough, imagine him naked?

As Marilyn Monroe says in Some Like It Hot "no, it's too icky..."

by Anonymousreply 97June 20, 2020 8:06 AM

They talk about money of course.

by Anonymousreply 98June 20, 2020 8:19 AM

As someone who will likely be entrusted with the estate of Stephen Sondheim's works Jeff Romley is probably watching, listening and learning.

by Anonymousreply 99June 20, 2020 8:23 AM

Is Sondheim very rich or just rich ?

by Anonymousreply 100June 20, 2020 8:47 AM

There was a very interesting documentary out this past winter about Oliver Sacks (who wrote Awakenings and the Man who mistook his wife for a hat). He was a neuropsychologist who went without sex from age 40 until his mid 70s when he took up with a much younger photographer, Bill Hayes, (like 30 years younger) who lived in his building, and by all accounts they had a loving relationship, until his death at age 82. It's a strange phenomenon, but apparently it does exist.

by Anonymousreply 101June 20, 2020 9:14 AM

R101

Every pot has a lid.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102June 20, 2020 9:39 AM

[quote] As Marilyn Monroe says in Some Like It Hot "no, it's too icky..."

I just watched Some Like It Hot last week. It’s brilliant as ever and Jack Lemmon gives one of the funniest screen performances ever. I don’t recall that Monroe line, though. When does she say that?

by Anonymousreply 103June 20, 2020 12:55 PM

R103 It's actually a line in The Seven Year Itch.

by Anonymousreply 104June 20, 2020 2:27 PM

"Do you use a bow or do you pluck it?"

"Usually I just slap it!"

Joe & Jack in Some Like It Hot......nothing to do with Stephen Sondheim, but it is funny....isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 105June 20, 2020 2:49 PM

That is the question, R100. I bet Sondheim is about the same as where he started: upper middle class.

by Anonymousreply 106June 20, 2020 3:58 PM

You are, R9.

by Anonymousreply 107June 20, 2020 4:04 PM

R106

Oh I dunno...

Depending upon which sources you believe Stephen Sondheim has a net worth of around $20 million.

The guy is almost 100, has been at his craft since early or middle twenties, and over years has amassed a rock solid book.

Having come from a wealthy background am sure Mr. Sondheim understands how to make money work for you (investing and saving), and not spending every red cent earned (living on interest, never the capital).

SS has that estate in Roxbury, Conn, joining Dustin Hoffman, Daniel Day-Lewis, Denis Leary among others, which must be worth a pretty penny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 20, 2020 10:58 PM

I'm not saying he doesnt have great real estate. Just saying, he came from a family that lived well in Manhattan and also in country houses, just like he does now. He does well, but has never made Phantom or Hamilton money.

by Anonymousreply 109June 21, 2020 12:33 AM

He has family money, but still Webber is (according to these completely unvetted web sites) worth a billion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110June 21, 2020 12:36 AM

Honestly, anyone who bought a townhouse in Manhattan in 1963 or whenever he bought is going to be worth several millions just for that.

by Anonymousreply 111June 21, 2020 12:41 AM

Cannot compare Andrew Lloyd Webber and Stephen Sondheim. The former is a businessman and or impresario if you will, with fingers in dozens of various pies.

Their output is different as well; with much of ALW's work grand commercial things like CATS, Starlight Express, and Sunset Boulevard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112June 21, 2020 1:12 AM

Sondheim said he was able to buy his townhouse with his A Funny Thing money.

I wonder how much money he's lost and is still losing on WSS for not getting full lyricist royalties.

A friend who knew John Kander said Kander was able to buy his Hampton's home with his Cabaret film money.

by Anonymousreply 113June 21, 2020 1:34 AM

Well, R112, how about comparing him with Lin-Manuel Miranda at $80m?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114June 21, 2020 2:05 AM

Lin-Manuel Miranda is from a more modern vintage, and thus able (has) benefited from vast sums of money shushing around entertainment world today.

SS is ancient, while ALW is old; both have been at their craft for decades before Lin-Manuel Miranda was even born.

Remember net worth is about assets; eighty million USD by no means is small change; but in a world where apartments in NYC are selling for $58 million it puts things into perspective.

by Anonymousreply 115June 21, 2020 2:15 AM

So Webber is too rich and Miranda is too poor. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 116June 21, 2020 2:22 AM

Those net worth sites are, ironically, worthless unless the information is publicly available. For example, ALW's money comes via Really Useful, so they have a guide as to how he's doing financially. And that's how they get those figures. Likewise for LMM, Sondheim, etc, they'll take publicly available info like grosses. But they have no idea what these people do with their money privately. They could've invested really well or pissed it all up the wall - there's really no way to know.

by Anonymousreply 117June 21, 2020 2:28 AM

Contemporaries then? Hal Prince came up with the concepts most of the time, and he had more cash too. Maybe we can just agree that SS was way rich compared to Boris Aronson.

by Anonymousreply 118June 21, 2020 2:29 AM

I've hung out with Jeff a few times. He's very nice. Very smart, a very accomplished athlete and as I understand it he's always had a thing for older guys.

by Anonymousreply 119June 21, 2020 2:31 AM

But I guess Hal was tainted with Webber money. This is getting complicated....

by Anonymousreply 120June 21, 2020 2:31 AM

They've also been together for a LONG time. Not 6 years.

by Anonymousreply 121June 21, 2020 2:32 AM

Guess SS has left it far too late, but wonder in future will his husband (then maybe widower) have children. It might be nice to have someone to pass that torch to when time comes in terms of a direct heir to preserve legacy, not to mention benefit from a large accumulation of property.

by Anonymousreply 122June 21, 2020 2:33 AM

So his royalties will pass on to someone when he dies ?

by Anonymousreply 123June 21, 2020 3:21 AM

R123

Have no way of knowing arrangements of Stephen Sondheim's personal affairs, but he is legally married and in NYS spouses cop the lot unless other arrangements have been made.

One of the great benefits of legal SSM is that gays no longer need draw up complicated and extensive legal devices so their assets/estate transfer to their partner upon death. Legal marriage takes care of everything. Only reason to create said devices or whatever likely have more to do with taxation and perhaps of course if someone wants to ensure certain things are done.

Then again SS was rather old when he married, so there may have been pre-nuptial agreement and or he made plans long before marriage.

by Anonymousreply 124June 21, 2020 3:29 AM

Marilyn Monroe's estate is still racking in royalties, this over fifty years after her death.

by Anonymousreply 125June 21, 2020 3:32 AM

Marilyn Monroe did leave a will (for all the good it did), but Prince didn't and his estate is still not settled due to squabbling by potential heirs.

Thing to remember is humans die; estates can go on eternally, long as there are assets to be disbursed, received, and or controlled.

When it comes to famous or creative persons it isn't just what they leave at death, but future of their body of work. Sondheim's book of work will be around long after himself, spouse and any of us posting on this board are long gone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 21, 2020 3:43 AM

Both Sondheim and Harvey Fierstein are five star celebrity gays who do not have media perfect, squeaky clean, camera ready significant others. Actually as far as I know, Harvey is single. They're both fine with me to the point of me finding it refreshing.

by Anonymousreply 127June 21, 2020 12:07 PM

And people complain about Froy and Richard...

by Anonymousreply 128June 21, 2020 12:20 PM

The Calvin Klein thing - does he find all his boyfriends on PornHub? What’s the deal, literally? Does that hot guy have to fuck CK or does he just lie back and let CK blow him and sit on CK’s face?

by Anonymousreply 129June 21, 2020 12:36 PM

They've been together for a long time, probably close to 20 years. Jeff has independent income, but he'll be taken care of. SS is very wealthy and will likely be bringing in money for decades.

by Anonymousreply 130June 22, 2020 4:35 AM

I just read (some gossip) that R&H stole the idea for THE KING AND I from Sondheim. Possibly more than just the idea. If true, tough copyright lesson learned.

by Anonymousreply 131June 22, 2020 1:18 PM

So they stole the idea to adapt a best-selling novel that had been made into a popular film from a 20 year old kid?

by Anonymousreply 132June 22, 2020 1:39 PM

Didn't Gertrude Lawrence bring the project to R&H?

by Anonymousreply 133June 22, 2020 1:48 PM

Sondheim mentioned that he was working on an adaptation. No copyright.

by Anonymousreply 134June 22, 2020 1:51 PM

Did Stephen adopt him?

by Anonymousreply 135June 22, 2020 1:53 PM

Gertrude Lawrence and her agent brought the project to R&H. It seems pretty ludicrous to think that R&H “stole” the idea from Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 136June 22, 2020 3:39 PM

When Sondheim was three years old, he had a toy boat he played with in the bathtub. Hammerstein saw it and wrote Show Boat. Total rip-off!

by Anonymousreply 137June 22, 2020 3:42 PM

I always like when people on DL reveal bombshells like this King and I rip off. This factoid does not appear in any biography nor in any internet accessible source (like the Sondheim Review), so I would never know it if someone here did not say it.

The idea that they ripped off a kid who was adapting the King and I, is galling.

by Anonymousreply 138June 22, 2020 4:35 PM

Rule No. 1 of DL, R138: Don't believe everything your read on DL.

by Anonymousreply 139June 22, 2020 5:55 PM

. . . everything you read . . . ^^

by Anonymousreply 140June 22, 2020 5:56 PM

I read it was Gertrude Lawrence who stole the idea for King and I from Sondheim.

by Anonymousreply 141June 22, 2020 6:13 PM

[quote]One of Jeff's best friends is Randy Rainbow

Every sentence at dinner much start with the word "Geeeeeeerl"

by Anonymousreply 142June 22, 2020 6:20 PM

Another successful gay man who has to buy a "partner".

by Anonymousreply 143June 22, 2020 7:08 PM

CALM DOWN. IT'S A RUMOR!_via_broadway.com_Get Mr. Sondheim to tell you "the 'King and I' story" someday if you ever run into him at a party. For all I know, it's a bunch of ****, but it made me more concerned about copyright than I was before I heard it. Maybe it's why he doesn't mention Hammerstein...he's holding a grudge....Okay, well you asked for the story. I'm not sure if I buy it myself, or if he was just making it up to prove a point. The gist of it is, in his days working under Hammerstein's mentoring, he wrote a show based on the story of Anna Leonowens and her experiences with the Royal Family of Siam. Said subject matter (and some of his material) apparently became what we know as "Rodgers and Hammerstein's 'The King and I'," and from said experience he learned not to take copyright lightly, and to do it at every stage of a project, etc.

by Anonymousreply 144June 23, 2020 11:19 AM

Sondheim also claims that the original idea for "The Black Crook" was stolen from him.

by Anonymousreply 145June 23, 2020 3:53 PM

R144, that makes no sense given the reverence, gratitude and affection with which Sondheim has always spoken of Hammerstein.

You do not praise the generosity and kindness of someone who ripped you off.

by Anonymousreply 146June 23, 2020 4:51 PM

That's not all! I heard Oscar stole the idea of Flower Drum Song from Henry David Hwang. Years later, Hwang got even by rewriting it into a big flop. Take that, Hammerstein!

by Anonymousreply 147June 23, 2020 5:19 PM

R/H had written DOLLS & GUYS but Frank Loesser got his version produced just before they got to the copyright office....

by Anonymousreply 148June 23, 2020 10:07 PM

It was Rodgers and Hammerstein's idea to turn Pygmalion into a musical but Lerner and Loewe stole it.

by Anonymousreply 149June 23, 2020 10:21 PM

R146 No you declare the individual was a man of let's just say 'limited talent.'

by Anonymousreply 150June 23, 2020 10:25 PM

According to Rodgers' biography, he and Hammerstein first heard of the property when the two Dorothys (Dorothy Rodgers and Dorothy Hammerstein, BFFs) saw the film version of Anna and The King of Siam with Rex Harrison and Irine Dunne at a matinee and both raved to their husbands what a wonderful musical it would make. So they were very open to the project when Gertrude Laurence's agent brought it to them. The novel, a highly fictionalized version of the diaries of Anna Leonowens , was a best seller in the 1940s and the film version mentioned above was a big hit. It was hardly an unknown property. Everybody was considering it. The thought that Sondheim was considering it and R&H stole it from him is silly.

Most of the changes from the novel to the 1940s film are included in the R&H stage version.

by Anonymousreply 151June 23, 2020 10:32 PM

R150, he did not say that about Hammerstein.

He said that about Rodgers.

by Anonymousreply 152June 23, 2020 10:50 PM

This thread is getting bit stale.

Has anyone got any newly-released information on how 'West Side Story' was cooked up by twelve clever, tempestuous Hebraic men —most of whom were gay or closeted— while 'Candide' had nineteen.

by Anonymousreply 153June 23, 2020 11:06 PM

Sondheim has said many times that the project he worked on while Hammerstein was mentoring was a musical version of the Mary Poppins stories by P.L. Travers, and that he was unable to acquire rights. (See Saving Mr. Banks for more info on that topic...)

Rodgers and Hammerstein did, reportedly, have a go at musicalizing Pygmalion for Mary Martin, but gave it up as an impossible task. It is worth noting that when Lerner and Loewe played some of their songs for the show to Ms. Martin she is quoted as saying, "Those poor boys have lost their talent."

by Anonymousreply 154June 23, 2020 11:09 PM

Sorry, "Rodgers' autobiography," not "Rodgers' biography." And Irene Dunne, not Irine Dunn, of course. She had a wonderful singing voice, as evidenced in her early film musicals and later played Mrs. Anna in the R&H stage version musical in regional and summer stock productions to wonderful reviews.

by Anonymousreply 155June 23, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote]And Irene Dunne, not Irine Dunn, of course. She had a wonderful singing voice, as evidenced in her early film musicals

The most notable of which was the 1936 version of "Show Boat," directed by James Whale, in which Dunne played Magnolia, with Helen Morgan as Julie, Paul Robeson as Joe and Hattie McDaniel as Queenie. It's far superior to the glossy 1951 MGM color remake.

by Anonymousreply 156June 24, 2020 12:16 AM

Bye thread.

by Anonymousreply 157June 24, 2020 9:08 AM

Off topic, but R&H first offered the role of The King to Rex Harrison, who had starred om the film, but he turned them down flat. They then offered the role to Alfred Drake, who also declined. But he did take on the role for several months during the show's third year when Yul Brynner took an extended vacation.

Yul Brynner had costarred with Mary Martin in Lute Song and it was on her recommendation that R&H allowed him to audition for The King. He auditioned sitting cross legged on stage singing folk songs accompanying himself on a ukulele. R&H were intrigued and eventuality cast him. It was costume designer Irene Sharaff who recommended to Brynner during previews that he completely shave his head bald. There are photos of him out there playing the part with side hair.

Below, Alfred Drake as The King. He refused to go bald. The photo I wanted to post no longer shows up on google image results.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 24, 2020 10:01 AM

^ The photo of Drake as The King I wanted to post shows him bare chested. Hot body. Lucky Patricia Morrison, Lawrence's ultimate replacement, to play opposite him and Brynner all that time.

by Anonymousreply 159June 24, 2020 10:21 AM

Irene Dunne understudied Norma Terris as Magnolia in the original 1927 production of Show Boat, led the first national tour, and then played Magnolia in the 1932 Broadway revival with most of the original cast plus Paul Robeson in the part which had been written for him. She then went to Hollywood and had much success, so she was a natural pick to star in the 1936 film. Hattie McDaniel had played Queenie in a successful 1933 or 1934 LA stage production of Show Boat.

Useless off tropic trivia. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 160June 24, 2020 11:01 AM

[quote]Rodgers and Hammerstein did, reportedly, have a go at musicalizing Pygmalion for Mary Martin, but gave it up as an impossible task. It is worth noting that when Lerner and Loewe played some of their songs for the show to Ms. Martin she is quoted as saying, "Those poor boys have lost their talent."

Sondheim, in his book "Finishing the Hat," trashes the lyrics, as was his wont, but says that "My Fair Lady" was his favorite evening of theater ever.

by Anonymousreply 161June 24, 2020 12:52 PM

[quote]Irene Dunne understudied Norma Terris as Magnolia in the original 1927 production of Show Boat, led the first national tour, and then played Magnolia in the 1932 Broadway revival with most of the original cast plus Paul Robeson in the part which had been written for him. She then went to Hollywood and had much success, so she was a natural pick to star in the 1936 film.

I had the Criterion laserdisc of 1936's Show Boat. I was surprised to see Irene in blackface, popping her eyes and mugging, while singing "Gallivanting Around" -- during the "oleo."

by Anonymousreply 162June 24, 2020 12:54 PM

I kind of enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 163June 24, 2020 12:55 PM

OMG! It's on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164June 24, 2020 1:27 PM

OMG! It's on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165June 24, 2020 1:27 PM

Except, r154, from what I understand, L&L played Mary and her husband a few MFL songs that were not among those that became huge hits, probably because they hadn't written them yet. So Mary's reluctance in that case was understandable.

by Anonymousreply 166June 24, 2020 1:36 PM

If your going to show Dunne's most embarrassing moment from Show Boat, let's see the film at its best.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167June 24, 2020 1:41 PM

Outtakes:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168June 24, 2020 1:43 PM

What's truly appalling about that performance is that if you look out into the (segregated, true to history) audience, the upper deck was full of black people who had to watch this white performer in a movie mock black people, popping her eyes in blackface, as she sang about black women being stupid sluts.

by Anonymousreply 169June 24, 2020 1:48 PM

There's no excuse for blackface today, but there's also no excuse for rewriting history. Blackface was pretty widely accepted until the 1950s, maybe the 1960s. I detest this PC/SJW attitude that anything from the past that causes offense today must be wiped out. Kate Smith is demonized because she sang a song in 1931 about "darkies." So did the Marx Brothers. Are they next? And to tie this into Sondheim, some have claimed that Forum is unplayable today because it's sexist. That is lunacy to me. Yes, Forum is sexist. So are several Shakespeare plays. Is he next to be canceled?

by Anonymousreply 170June 24, 2020 2:51 PM

R170 You are the one re-writing history. Blackface was NOT widely accepted in the '50s and '60s.

Even when it was done in Show Boat or by Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney it was already dated and awkward.

by Anonymousreply 171June 24, 2020 2:54 PM

R171 commercial film producers would not have included such a huge amount of blackface in their films, if it did not have widespread acceptance.

Right from the start in the 19th century, there was always criticism of blackface. But most white people accepted it.

And in Britain it was acceptable up until the 70s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172June 24, 2020 3:00 PM

Britain had a very different approach to blackface.

I remember as a kid blackface being used in advertising (marmalade specifically) long after it would have been done in America.

by Anonymousreply 173June 24, 2020 3:09 PM

Mary Martin was one to talk about someone losing their talent......of course, how can you lose something you never had?

by Anonymousreply 174June 24, 2020 3:37 PM

R174 is Ethel Merman

by Anonymousreply 175June 24, 2020 5:48 PM

R174, I hope you're joking. She won acclaim for her performances in One Touch of Venus, South Pacific, Peter Pan, The Sound of Music, I Do I Do, and Hello Dolly! She won the Tony for her Sound of Music performance over Merman in Gypsy. Maybe you don't care for her, but you can hardly say she lacked talent.

by Anonymousreply 176June 24, 2020 6:38 PM

Bitch!

by Anonymousreply 177June 24, 2020 8:06 PM

Read John Gielgud's letters. The section where he talks about Martin in Sound of Music is VERY funny.

by Anonymousreply 178June 24, 2020 11:59 PM

Since [R178] couldn't be bothered. The bitch...

"28 September, New York To Paul Anstee

The Mary Martin/Rogers and Hammerstein run-through was ghastly. I thought Ivor’s ghost would come down on a wire to bless it. Cute and appallingly sentimental by turns – seven children, singing nuns, and M. looked as old as God and was frisking around as if she was 17. Hideous men, no dancing or chorus and an endless boring plot."

by Anonymousreply 179June 25, 2020 12:07 AM

Says the director of Irene!

by Anonymousreply 180June 25, 2020 3:52 AM

No real surprises that Sir John was a proto-datalounger par excellence, but fun to have it confirmed!

by Anonymousreply 181June 25, 2020 7:58 AM

Dennis Quaid is not a joke, r62, except maybe to you. But you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 182June 25, 2020 8:24 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183June 25, 2020 4:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!