Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Flushing Toilets Create Long-Lasting Clouds of Virus-Containing Particles

Coronavirus could be transmitted through a long-lasting cloud of virus-containing aerosol droplets ejected from a flushing toilet.

Researchers used a computer simulation to show how a flushing toilet can create a cloud of virus-containing aerosol droplets that is large and widespread and lasts long enough that the droplets could be breathed in by others.

With recent studies showing the novel coronavirus that causes COVID-19 can survive in the human digestive tract and show up in feces of the infected, this raises the possibility the disease could be transmitted with the use of toilets.

Toilet flushing creates a great deal of turbulence, and qualitative evidence suggests this can spread both bacteria and viruses. The public, however, remains largely unaware of this infection pathway, since few quantitative studies have been carried out to investigate this possible mechanism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2020 12:42 AM

Ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 1June 16, 2020 7:41 PM

yummy

by Anonymousreply 2June 16, 2020 7:43 PM

Oh, just as sea spray at the beach spreads it.

What are we supposed to do with this information? Refrain from flushing? Jesus Christ.

This is just fueling the paranoia of *those* people.

by Anonymousreply 3June 16, 2020 7:43 PM

People are saying it spreads through ravenous staring at crotches and asses.

by Anonymousreply 4June 16, 2020 7:47 PM

this and fears of lack of handwashing was one reason that the homeless here were all yanked out of shelters and put in hotels.

by Anonymousreply 5June 16, 2020 7:50 PM

We need to go back to using outhouses.

by Anonymousreply 6June 16, 2020 7:51 PM

Scat Queens rejoice!

by Anonymousreply 7June 16, 2020 8:51 PM

[quote] What are we supposed to do with this information? Refrain from flushing? Jesus Christ.

That’s the only option your brain can come up with?

This doesn’t matter in your home, as you’ve already been exposed to anything you’re pooping out.

But it’s a good reason to avoid public bathrooms.

by Anonymousreply 8June 16, 2020 8:55 PM

If everyone was as stylish as us Dataloungers, it would be no problem -- they could just let their caftan tent the bowl when sitting down, and stay seated after the flush for a minute, the same way a house is tented before fumigation.

by Anonymousreply 9June 16, 2020 9:19 PM

Are caftans the new masks?

by Anonymousreply 10June 16, 2020 9:19 PM

The article refers to the poo cloud as "toilet plume."

by Anonymousreply 11June 16, 2020 9:20 PM

huh huh.

poo cloud.

toilet plume.

by Anonymousreply 12June 16, 2020 9:23 PM

See, you dumb fucks?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13June 16, 2020 9:27 PM

A favorite landing spot for germs? Toothbrushes.

by Anonymousreply 14June 16, 2020 10:01 PM

This is why I only poop into a Ziploc bag.

by Anonymousreply 15June 16, 2020 10:06 PM

I wonder if those newer, eco-friendly suction toilets are more hygienic?

by Anonymousreply 16June 16, 2020 10:25 PM

I think some form of non flushing toilet is really the only answer, and try selling that to Americans. Composting toilets that look the same as standard toilets? All sparkly pretty on the outside and....however they work on the inside? That won't be any kind of undertaking AT ALL. From the smallest burger joint to the Met, every single terlit would have to be replaced. Fuck it. I'll take my chances with "The Plume".

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2020 10:30 PM

OP Just put the fucking lid down when you flush.

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2020 10:31 PM

Well, shit.

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2020 10:44 PM

Listen. If Olivia deHavillabd can make it to 104, I think the rest of us are more than safe from the alleged dangers of "The Toilet Plume".

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2020 10:44 PM

Can you imagine the toxic plume after Trump takes a dump?

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2020 10:48 PM

lol, r19

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2020 10:48 PM

Scat!! Yummy!!

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2020 10:56 PM

This is getting crazy now. We aren't allowed to breath, fuck or flush.

by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2020 11:09 PM

So all those homeless in SF were actually well ahead of the curve!

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2020 11:49 PM

[quote] I think some form of non flushing toilet is really the only answer, and try selling that to Americans.

I lived in an Asian country and had friends with non-flushing toilets (a hole in the ground). It was disgusting. Literally everyone in the world prefers flushing toilets. This is not about American selfishness. The answer is simple-- and it was in the article. The answer is to put down the lid before you flush. It's not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 26June 17, 2020 12:13 AM

Just go in a corner of the pantry and your friends will take care of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 17, 2020 12:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!