Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1954 letter from DL fave Mamie Eisenhower

I went to an antiques mall today and bought a framed letter sent by Mamie Eisenhower to a couple of young girls who apparently lived nearby; in the letter, typed on official White House stationery, the First Lady thanks the girls for sending a doll to her granddaughter, and thanks them for sending her a photo of their own collection.

I live in Kansas City, so a couple of hours from Ike's old stomping grounds. The letter addresses the girls by their names, and the letter doesn't read like a generic form letter sent to anyone who has mail a gift to the White House. I'd like to believe that, for those primary reasons, Mamie personally signed the letter, but I also understand the signature might have been generated by a White House secretary or by machine. Any antique or signature appraisers here who can chime in?

by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2020 11:14 PM

OP, just google Mamie Eisenhower signature...she almost always signed the same way, and always much larger than necessary.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote] Maime

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2020 9:55 PM

She might have been a dowdy, grade-A cunt, but I adore her and just had to buy it!

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2020 10:08 PM

So share a picture of it - sounds cool

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2020 10:09 PM

Ah, ole Mamie.

She put the "unt" in Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2020 10:11 PM

"She's one of those loose girls".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2020 10:14 PM

Now young girls who want to become whores can write to our current First Lady for advice.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2020 10:15 PM

I never forgave Mamie for not offering a wheelchair to new mother Jackie when she toured the White House after the 1960 election.

Just kidding, I always liked the old broad. And I'm an admirer of winning through passive-aggression.

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2020 10:15 PM

Say what you like about Mamie -- at least she never had to go on assistance!

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2020 10:24 PM

Does she complain about the coloreds?

If not, it's a secretarial reply and signature.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2020 10:35 PM

If looks could kill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2020 10:37 PM

Perhaps Mamie is looking at baby bump at R11.

Was Jackie carrying one of the children that died soon after birth?

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2020 10:44 PM

Looks like she's looking at her necklace. Mamie got all dolled up for Jackie.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2020 10:57 PM

R12 wasn't that right after jackie's C section

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2020 11:31 PM

R12 She had just given birth to John John.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote]OP, just google Mamie Eisenhower signature...she almost always signed the same way, and always much larger than necessary.

Check the letter for parsleyed canned potato stains.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2020 11:39 PM

[quote] Does she complain about the coloreds?

Where does the DL idea that Mamie was some sort of major racist come from? Looking at her history as First Lady, she seems to have been quite progressive for a 1950s upper class white woman. She desegregated the White House Egg Roll and tours, she was the first First Lady to host a state dinner for an African Head of State, and she accepted an honorary membership in the National Council of Negro Women. The desegregation of the Egg Roll especially speaks to her humanity. She saw young black children peering through the fence, was touched and asked them and their families to come in and join the fun.

by Anonymousreply 17June 16, 2020 12:31 AM

Was her famous opera fudge recipe attached?

by Anonymousreply 18June 16, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote]Where does the DL idea that Mamie was some sort of major racist come from?

All I know is Mrs, Eisenhower asked me to repair some hooded robes she said was for her Thursday Bridge Club. Three white and one pink.

by Anonymousreply 19June 16, 2020 1:28 AM

I picked up a letter from Mary Todd Lincoln at a thrift shop years ago. It was written to her neighbour years before the Presidency. It said, simply: "Is this the cocksucker residence?"

by Anonymousreply 20June 16, 2020 1:30 AM

r17 Unfortunately, the children cannibalized her on the South Lawn.

by Anonymousreply 21June 16, 2020 1:34 AM

[quote] Looking at her history as First Lady, she seems to have been quite progressive for a 1950s upper class white woman.

I don't think anyone, Mamie included, considered her "upper class."

by Anonymousreply 22June 16, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote]She saw young black children peering through the fence, was touched and asked them and their families to come in and join the fun.

I was there. She turned to the Secret Service and said "You there, boy. Go let them pickaninnies come join us for a spell. Make sure you get their spoons back before they leave. Search 'em if you have to."

by Anonymousreply 23June 16, 2020 1:45 AM

Everybody knows that Dwight D was black

His parents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 16, 2020 1:52 AM

R22 If your father could retire at age 36 and live off investments, and your family has a home in Denver and a winter home in Texas, you are from the upper class. Maybe not the top 1% but definitely in the top 10%.

by Anonymousreply 25June 16, 2020 2:00 AM

[quote] I live in Kansas City, so a couple of hours from Ike's old stomping grounds

And you're only about half an hour from Harry Truman's old stomping grounds

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26June 16, 2020 2:31 AM

R17 Here she is with members of the National Council of Negro Women in 1953. Perhaps she wanted to appear as progressive as Eleanor Roosevelt was on race issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27June 16, 2020 2:58 AM

R27 You have to also remember, many African Americans, especially middle-class ones, were still staunchly Republican in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 28June 16, 2020 3:00 AM

She could've demonstrated more solidarity by appearing with them in blackface.

by Anonymousreply 29June 16, 2020 3:04 AM

Lay off Mamie, bitches. Do you think it was easy being married to Dwight?

I could tell you stories.

by Anonymousreply 30June 16, 2020 3:09 AM

She drank, you know...

by Anonymousreply 31June 16, 2020 3:10 AM

While I'm sure she liked a cocktail or two, she was not a drunk. She suffered from Ménière's disease, which caused her to appear drunk at times.

by Anonymousreply 32June 16, 2020 3:16 AM

Ike was a hot piece of ass back in the day

by Anonymousreply 33June 16, 2020 3:20 AM

I can't believe no one's mentioned here low hangers yet.

by Anonymousreply 34June 16, 2020 3:20 AM

What the fuck is she wearing? The oversized corduroy coat . . ? The long button down dress . . . ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 16, 2020 4:17 AM

R35 Republicans, especially that administration were very worried about appearing too wealthy. Remember the Checkers speech and Nixon crisis was only a year earlier when Nixon said of his wife...

[quote] "proud of the fact that Pat Nixon wears a good Republican cloth coat, and she's going to continue to."

by Anonymousreply 36June 16, 2020 4:45 AM

[quote] If your father could retire at age 36 and live off investments, and your family has a home in Denver and a winter home in Texas, you are from the upper class. Maybe not the top 1% but definitely in the top 10%.

I think R22 is referring to social class not economic status which can be quite distinct (see Trump, Donald J.).

by Anonymousreply 37June 16, 2020 5:30 AM

[quote] What the fuck is she wearing?

An oversized corduroy coat and a long button-down dress.

by Anonymousreply 38June 16, 2020 5:31 AM

R37 she would have been considered upperclass, regardless, in the Midwest and West were she was raised. Maybe not in NYC, Boston or DC. She was wealthy, attended finishing school, and was a debutante, that is upper class in 1915 Denver and San Antonio.

by Anonymousreply 39June 16, 2020 5:41 AM

[quote] Everybody knows that Dwight D was black

He does seem to have a touch of the tar brush here (with Mamie):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 16, 2020 5:49 AM

[quote] Now young girls who want to become whores can write to our current First Lady for advice.

And you really think it was different in Mamie's time? [italic]Now[/italic[ who's being naive...

by Anonymousreply 41June 16, 2020 5:51 AM

[quote] that is upper class in 1915 Denver and San Antonio.

"Upper class"? In [italic]Denver[/italic] and [italic]San Antonio[/italic]???

Please, let's put things in proper perspective, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 42June 16, 2020 5:54 AM

I still can't get over her hairstyle in the photo at R27.

by Anonymousreply 43June 16, 2020 6:32 AM

My favorite "Everybody knows _____________was black!" is over on YouTube and it goes like this:

"Yo, yo....Henry VIII was one of us, y'all. Henry VIII was BLACK!"

by Anonymousreply 44June 16, 2020 12:16 PM

R43 - That hairdo was created especially for her by Elizabeth Arden.

by Anonymousreply 45June 16, 2020 3:58 PM

Mamie would have looked so much better had she worn a wig of some kind. She just didn't have very much hair, and what hair she had had no volume.

by Anonymousreply 46June 16, 2020 4:00 PM

R40 Was he the chauffeur and she the under house parlor maid? Both black in that pic, not just DD. What uniform is he wearing, if not a chauffeur's? I am assuming the pic was overexposed and/or badly developed.

by Anonymousreply 47June 16, 2020 8:48 PM

Did Jackie Kennedy have a nasty nickname for Mamie Eisenhower? She had nasty nicknames for so many people.

"Colonel Cornpone and his wife" = LBJ and Lady Bird

by Anonymousreply 48June 16, 2020 10:24 PM

WHY NO PHOTO OF THIS FUCKING LETTER?

by Anonymousreply 49June 16, 2020 10:36 PM

r47 Ike is wearing an Army uniform from the World War I era. Mamie is dressed in the latest fashion. The photo does look overexposed.

by Anonymousreply 50June 16, 2020 11:30 PM

r48 Jackie liked to refer to Lyndon and Lady Bird as "Col. Cornpone and his little pork chop."

Gloria Upson would have laughed.

by Anonymousreply 51June 16, 2020 11:32 PM

Most people think Jackie O was a SWEET AIRHEAD but she was really just a BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 52June 16, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote] Gloria Upson would have laughed.

That’s ghastly. Just ghastly.

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2020 11:57 PM

I adore Mamie's boots in r40!

by Anonymousreply 54June 17, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote] Most people think Jackie O was a SWEET AIRHEAD but she was really just a BITCH.

This is pretty much the truth. Jackie was a grotesquely huge snob, and she always was sweet to people's faces but nasty about them behind their backs.

Whatever their other faults, LBJ and Lady Bird was extremely gracious to Jackie, and told her she could stay in the White House as long as she needed to when her husband was killed, and promised her (and delivered) all the help she needed. And yet she called them those names even after she left the White House.

The Johnsons even kept up the ridiculously pretentious plaque Jackie put up on the door to the presidential bedroom that said "JOHN F. KENNEDY LIVED HERE 1961-1963 WITH HIS WIFE." The Nixons took it down almost as soon as they moved in, as well they should have--why should the Kennedys be memorialized over any other presidential couple who lived there previously? And don't say because her husband was assassinated--Lucretia Garfield and Ida McKinley put up no such plaques. And the Lincoln bedroom and sitting Room were designated as such well after Mary Todd Lincoln left the White House.

by Anonymousreply 55June 17, 2020 1:50 AM

Is Mamie an official gay icon now?

by Anonymousreply 56June 17, 2020 1:54 AM

I would have loved to have been there to see the look on Jackie's face when she found out the Nixons took the plaque down.

by Anonymousreply 57June 17, 2020 1:57 AM

R55- She even said nasty things about Queen Elizabeth after meeting her in 1961.

by Anonymousreply 58June 17, 2020 3:05 AM

^^What did she say?

by Anonymousreply 59June 17, 2020 3:47 AM

Has anyone here been to the Truman musuem in Missouri? I'm a huge fan of Truman.

by Anonymousreply 60June 17, 2020 3:51 AM

[quote] According to Cecil Beaton and Gore Vidal, [Jackie] Kennedy did have some criticisms of Queen Elizabeth following the actual 1961 meeting [between the two women]. Per The Telegraph, Beaton claimed that Kennedy “was unimpressed by the palace furnishings and by the Queen’s dress and hairstyle.” Jackie, who proved herself a chic style sensation during the 1961 European tour, was dressed for dinner in a sleek blue silk Chez Ninon gown, while Elizabeth looked more old-fashioned in A-line tulle. (The Crown suggests that Jackie was not the only person skeptical of the queen’s new cropped, curled hairstyle. Prince Philip jokes: “It’s certainly very practical. Should you ever feel compelled to ride a motorcycle, it could always double as a helmet.”) Meanwhile, according to The Telegraph, Vidal claimed that Jackie described Elizabeth after their meeting as “pretty heavy going.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 17, 2020 4:02 AM

The ole bag took some tips from JBK. She dressed better towards the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 17, 2020 4:04 AM

R61, more importantly, Queen Elizabeth's face is less retarded than Jackie's in that pic...and in general.

by Anonymousreply 63June 17, 2020 4:10 AM

I always wanted to fuck young Ike... until I found out we’re related.

by Anonymousreply 64June 17, 2020 4:20 AM

I doubt she sucked his dick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65June 17, 2020 4:22 AM

The hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66June 17, 2020 4:23 AM

[quote]Jackie liked to refer to Lyndon and Lady Bird as "Col. Cornpone and his little pork chop."

What a cunt! Ladybird Johnson was a devoted and intelligent First Lady and had to take shit from everyone including Jackie, LBJ and Eartha Kitt. She was nevertheless a devoted advocate for many causes, including the beautification of America's highways, wildflowers, civil rights, the state of Texas and the Democratic Party until her death!

Fucking Jackie married a sleazy billionaire for shopping money and edited trashy books at Doubleday. Big freaking deal!

by Anonymousreply 67June 17, 2020 4:30 AM

The trouble is that if Gore Vidal's the only source for what Jackie said about the Queen, you just can't trust him. He was a notorious liar and told all kinds of stories to make other people near him look pettier and bitchier, and also to make for a more salacious story.

by Anonymousreply 68June 17, 2020 4:56 AM

[quote]Has anyone here been to the Truman museum in Missouri? I'm a huge fan of Truman.

My creative writing teacher is David Wallace, Truman's nephew on Bess' side of the family. He just wrote a nice short book on growing up in Missouri. Was at the family house, just before all this corona broke out.

by Anonymousreply 69June 17, 2020 5:39 AM

[quote]Did Jackie Kennedy have a nasty nickname for Mamie Eisenhower?

The cuntiest cunt who ever cunted. Cunt cubed.

Strangely enough, she liked Ike.

by Anonymousreply 70June 17, 2020 5:41 AM

[quote] My creative writing teacher is David Wallace, Truman's nephew on Bess' side of the family. He just wrote a nice short book on growing up in Missouri. Was at the family house, just before all this corona broke out.

Lucky...the nerd in me is jealous.

by Anonymousreply 71June 17, 2020 5:51 AM

R32 Snort...the old "Mamie didn't drink! She had a DISEASE!" bit slays me.

Uh huh.

And, I can't believe the hypocrisy of DL Cunts cunting on Jackie for being a delicious cunt with her Colonel Cornpone jab at LBJ...it's PURE DL Cuntery at its finest.

Capote was right about Jackie and Lee though...he said they were raised to be little courtesans and that's what they were. Taught to land yourself the Big Catch husbands. Jackie was just much better at it than Lee.

by Anonymousreply 72June 17, 2020 6:31 AM

[quote] I doubt she sucked his dick.

She didn’t land Ike with her looks nor her canned potatoes.

[quote] What a cunt! Ladybird Johnson was a devoted and intelligent First Lady and had to take shit from everyone including Jackie, LBJ and Eartha Kitt. She was nevertheless a devoted advocate for many causes, including the beautification of America's highways, wildflowers, civil rights, the state of Texas and the Democratic Party until her death!

Eartha spoke up for young people and spoke out against the war. Because of that; she couldn’t work in the US for many yrs. Are you aware of what vets faced after returning home, unable to work, strung out on drugs, denied benefits. Vietnam = death and destruction for what? Intelligent Ladybird should have understood that. She did give the vets highways of beautiful flowers though. Which totally made up for the war.

by Anonymousreply 73June 18, 2020 11:48 PM

[quote] I always wanted to fuck young Ike... until I found out we’re related.

You stopped wanting to fuck a man who died 50 yrs ago because you found out he was some very distant relative?

by Anonymousreply 74June 18, 2020 11:52 PM

I recall reading something about Bess Truman and Mamie Eisenhower being the last First Ladies to sign their own correspondence. Beginning with Jackie, all the First Ladies since have let their office staff handle their signatures either by secretary or by machine, except for personal letters and official documents which required authenticity. Surprisingly, Pat Nixon at first made an attempt to deal with her own mail until she found it would have been impossible to keep up with it all.

While Presidents and First Ladies of the United States are content to allow their signatures to be affixed by others, European and British royals do not. If you receive a letter from a royal personage, the signature is actually theirs. If you receive a letter on behalf of someone royal, the signature will belong to a Private Secretary, Equerry, or Lady-in-Waiting. In the British royal family, the one who personally devotes more time to their mail from the general public is Camilla. After the hate mail has been culled, the rest is all passed on to her. If letters are addressed to Charles AND Camilla, Charles' staff takes care of it.

by Anonymousreply 75June 19, 2020 6:48 AM

[quote]Fucking Jackie married a sleazy billionaire for shopping money and edited trashy books at Doubleday. Big freaking deal!

Not to mention going on assistance!

by Anonymousreply 76June 19, 2020 11:22 PM

For their generation and background, both Ike and Mamie were very progressive when it came to black Americans. By today's standards, they wouldn't be consider so, but in the 1950s the Eisenhower's views on race made white Republicans and many white Democrats very nervous. Mamie did refer to African-Americans as "colored", but that was a term used at the time, and apparently Mamie never used it in a derogatory way. It's quite likely she used the "N" word in her younger years, but from the 1940s onward, she would never have spoken it. Mamie's grandson David touched upon his grandparents' view of civil rights in an interview.

by Anonymousreply 77June 20, 2020 12:19 AM

[quote] Jackie liked to refer to Lyndon and Lady Bird as "Col. Cornpone and his little pork chop."

Jackie never liked Lyndon Johnson, ever, and before JFK was murdered, she would make fun of Lady Bird. Jackie's attitude towards Lady Bird changed after the assassination and she became very fond of Mrs. Johnson and had a great deal of respect for her. Jackie had assumed that being from Texas that Lady Bird would have been uneducated and uncultured--a total hick. Jackie discovered how wrong she was.

by Anonymousreply 78June 20, 2020 12:25 AM

Say what you want about LBJ, he loved to show off his *huge* dick to fellow politicians and to the press corp. He'd pull it out to take a piss outside in front of the press and invite them to the White House pool for nude swims. He'd make gentle fun of those too shy to participate. He'd refer to his piece as "Jumbo."

This is all well documented.

by Anonymousreply 79June 20, 2020 1:36 AM

[quote] Mamie did refer to African-Americans as "colored"

Colored was considered a polite term at the time. It was only in the 1960s that black became preferred to Colored or Negro, before then Black was considered derogatory and no one said African-American. It is why we still have organizations such as the NAACP and the United Negro College Fund. One of the largest Black church denominations the CME church was the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, though they become the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church in 1956. So it would be like complaining about a person using black, African-American, or Person of Color, now, as they are all accepted as correct and polite.

by Anonymousreply 80June 20, 2020 1:50 AM

[quote] The trouble is that if Gore Vidal's the only source for what Jackie said about the Queen, you just can't trust him. He was a notorious liar and told all kinds of stories to make other people near him look pettier and bitchier, and also to make for a more salacious story.

Vidal might have out and out lied or maybe embellished the facts. It's true that at the time Jackie was pissed off at Elizabeth II, over what Jackie perceived as slights against Lee, none of which were perpetrated by the Queen. Lee and her husband Stanislaw Radziwill were living in Britain and because his title was a foreign one, he had to formally petition the Court of St. James's to have his title of Prince officially recognized in Britain. They had been using it socially and could not be prevented from doing so. Official recognition was denied. Jackie blamed the Queen, who was reluctant to acknowledge an obscure title but, the government of the day was dead set against allowing him to be known officially as Prince Radziwill. It was not deemed politically wise to recognize a Polish nobleman whose title originated from a country not friendly to Britain. Also, he had dodgy business dealings with mobster types so the government informed the Queen they would not support her granting official recognition of the Radziwills and their princely status.

The other reason Jackie was angry with the Queen is because Lee and Stan were not invited to Buckingham Palace for the dinner honoring the Kennedys. Again, Jackie blamed the Queen, but she was actually fine with inviting them, however her mother, Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother vetoed the idea. Lee was divorced and Stas had questionable business connections, so the Queen Mother applied considerable pressure on courtiers to convince the Queen to exclude the Radziwills from the dinner.

Whether or not it was true that Jackie slammed the Queen, the gossip reached Princess Margaret, the Queen's sister. Margaret summoned a couple of courtiers and told them of the gossip and ordered that one or both of them to inform her sister. Normally, Margaret would have had no hesitation to tell her sister herself, but it's thought that because Margaret was in the middle of her first pregnancy, she didn't want to get into such a discussion with the Queen.

by Anonymousreply 81June 20, 2020 3:57 AM

I used to have this plate. I don't remember whatever happened to it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82June 20, 2020 5:49 PM

Ike's lipstick is brighter than hers.

by Anonymousreply 83June 20, 2020 6:14 PM

Mamie didn't have time to re-apply after sucking off Roscoe.

by Anonymousreply 84June 20, 2020 11:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!