Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best baking and cookbooks to buy

Traditional or not.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2021 11:29 AM

I own too many, heavy on the coffee-table ones with gorgeous photos of France and Italy, plus many books of Indian, Middle Eastern, and vegetarian recipes. Then there are my "chef" cookbooks, from Tyler Florence, Ina, Julia, etc. Plus "TV" ones, as from QVC.

And you know what, OP? I use the Internet now.

That's my recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 1June 13, 2020 12:17 PM

I like books like these.

I was able to venture into cooking Indian/Pakistani food with this cookbook, and Arabian cooking with the Complete Middle Eastern Cookbook.

Plus being a pasta fanatic, I have way to many Italian cookbooks to single out only one or two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 13, 2020 1:12 PM

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 3June 13, 2020 6:26 PM

"The Harry's Bar Cookbook" by Arrigo Cipriani

"The New York Times Cookbook" by Craig Claiborne

"The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American" by Jeff Smith

"The Fanny Farmer Cookbook" by Marion Cunningham

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2021 5:01 AM

The Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum will teach you everything you ever wanted to know about cake making.

Maida Heatter's book on cookies does the same for cookies. I've never had one of her cookie recipes fail.

Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone for, yes, vegetarian cooking without the lecture, but lots of useful advice as to what seasonings go with which vegetable.

Steve Raichlen's Barbeque Bible for grilling anything from anywhere.

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Basics if you have no idea what you're doing and are tired of take-out.

Julia Child's The Way to Cook is good if you have to make a big traditional meal that.cannot.fail. Lots of pictures, lots of easy-to-understand explanations of why you're doing what you're doing.

I do use the Internet a fair amount, but if you don't know what you're doing, it's good to have a few reliable cookbooks. The Internet tends to skew toward photogenic food that may or may not taste good.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2021 5:22 AM

Anything by Nigel Slater.

He writes so beautifully and his recipes are wonderful. He's just a joyous, talented and wonderful man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2021 6:22 AM

Agree about Nigel Slater, and Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, which is amazing. For baking, David Lebovitz excellent.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2021 7:48 AM

Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cooking has recipes ranging from very simple to complex yet easily attainable. She taught me how to cook rice well and make flavorful vegetable side dishes. There are no duds in this cookbook.

Marcella Hazan's Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking is indispensable.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2021 8:06 AM

R1 here. Oops! I just bought Stanley Tucci's cookbook (I had to get the recipe for Mama Rosa's Sauce, from the Tuscany episode)!

But at least this one went straight to my Kindle!

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2021 11:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!