Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sardines!

I have a friend that loves sardines. He recommends the kind from Portugal or Spain. I have never tried them before. Anyone here really like them? Any brands you recommend? What are some of your favorite recipes? Thanks!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2020 2:00 PM

I've never tried them before either. The only sardines I've ever seen are the tinned ones. Tinned fish, in general, is a huge turnoff for me. But I know people who eat (tinned) sardines and crackers with *blech* ketchup. Not sure what fresh sardines would do for me.

by Anonymousreply 1June 11, 2020 8:45 PM

Fresh sardines from the grill are wonderful. Not "fishy" at all. The trick is to find them as sometimes the supermarkets will sell some that aren't so fresh. If you're in Manhattan, Citarella on the upper west side carries them sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 2June 11, 2020 9:07 PM

I love all tinned sardines packed in olive oil. Not so keen on any fish in tomato sauce or mustard. The smaller the fish, the healthiest it is. Fresh ones are better, yet they're usually different genus... the term sardine often just implies it's a small fish.

by Anonymousreply 3June 11, 2020 10:20 PM

If you want to try them, Costco has canned Season’s sardines. They are boneless, skinless and packed in oil. They’re good on pizza, or with Italian food, like on top of spaghetti. Good for you too.

by Anonymousreply 4June 11, 2020 10:21 PM

R2 how do you eat them? Do you have to pick out any bones?

by Anonymousreply 5June 11, 2020 10:39 PM

R4- That's the brand I buy. I get them at Costco-12 pack. I squeeze lemon juice on them and dip them in Italian Ketchup with truffles that I bought at Trader Joe's.

by Anonymousreply 6June 11, 2020 10:43 PM

Mom made them in yellow rice, like you would do rice and beans or arroz con pollo. I hated them, but liked the little crunchy bones.

by Anonymousreply 7June 11, 2020 10:48 PM

IMO, the Season brand sardines from Costco aren't that great (not bad, though). I, too, would like to find a good brand of canned sardines.

by Anonymousreply 8June 11, 2020 10:48 PM

New York Magazine once recommended a brand of Sardines but it was MIGHTY expensive.

by Anonymousreply 9June 11, 2020 11:38 PM

I like to melt down the canned ones in some olive oil in a skillet, and then mix in some cooked linguine or angel hair pasta with some more olive oil and spritz of lemon--great comfort food dish on a rainy or chilly night.

Also love smelts, frying them up coated with flour and serve with a big bunch of sauteed broccoli rabe, and lemon spritz also: Yum.

by Anonymousreply 10June 11, 2020 11:39 PM

My mom craved sardines and pickled herring throughout my time in the womb. Now I'm gay and I hate seafood. Any correlation???

by Anonymousreply 11June 11, 2020 11:45 PM

R10 -- fly to me!

by Anonymousreply 12June 12, 2020 1:00 AM

I take the sardines...and I leave the receiver.

by Anonymousreply 13June 12, 2020 2:01 AM

As a snack I love sardines in olive oil on a saltine cracker. Sometimes I add a Schmeer of mustard or butter on the cracker

by Anonymousreply 14June 12, 2020 2:17 AM

In the Lisbon airport they have a whole shop devoted to canned seafood! In lovely packaging!!!

by Anonymousreply 15June 12, 2020 2:37 AM

I grew up with sardines, mostly tinned or crated but sometimes fresh. Yes, the fresh ones usually look a little different, because mostly the fresh ones are a different species from the North Atlantic and the preserved ones are the "true" European sardines, mostly from Spanish or Portuguese sources now. Sardines are, indeed, just immature pilchards or even herring - hard to tell the difference. A lot come from SE Asian sources now.

Anyway, the story always is to avoid tomato or mustard varieties because they are the ones that can't stand on their own merits. Meaning they used to be the ones that were "over." I'm sure that's changed. Sardines were always in our house, on bread in sandwiches mainly. My mother would grill or fry the fresh ones. They were German and to them it was all the same - white fish or oily fish like they had from the North Sea or, rarely, the Mediterranean and Atlantic.

Same with anchovies.

by Anonymousreply 16June 12, 2020 2:54 AM

Sardines are the national food of Portugal!

by Anonymousreply 17June 12, 2020 2:58 AM

R17 they're up there, but codfish and rotisserie chicken are way more popular. sardines are heavily popular in the summer. and although codfish is more popular for christmas eve dinner, it's often eaten in many other dishes throughout the year. and chicken, especially rotisserie chicken is just the most accessible food ever. go to a big chain supermarket or a grill house restaurant and you can get a whole rotisserie chicken for pretty cheap. i'm not fond of sardines, because i don't care for the flavor of fish, but the smell of them being grilled is actually pretty good. they can be eaten just by themselves, if they're small enough, people will literally eat everything except the tail. but for a meal they're usually accompanied by red bean rice

by Anonymousreply 18June 12, 2020 3:03 AM

Sardines on toast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19June 12, 2020 6:03 AM

Sardines are quite tasty. King Oscar bristling sardines are the best. They leave the tail on, but they are delicious!

by Anonymousreply 20June 12, 2020 10:37 PM

R18, i was scratching my head over the popularity of chicken here in Portugal until i got that you mean frango de churrasco.

by Anonymousreply 21June 13, 2020 10:06 AM

R20- As per your recommendation last night I ordered a 12 pack of King Oscar Sardines in Olive oil on Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 22June 13, 2020 12:22 PM

Love fresh sardines pan fried in butter. I've never tried the little tinned sardines but I have a friend who loves them on saltines with a little hot sauce.

by Anonymousreply 23June 13, 2020 12:25 PM

I'm having Sardines for lunch today. Season Sardines packed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I squeeze lemon juice on them and dip them in Italian Ketchup with truffles.

by Anonymousreply 24June 13, 2020 12:29 PM

here's how you do sardines Sicilian style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25June 13, 2020 12:34 PM

Had them in Portugal 🤮🤮🤮🤮 Never again!

by Anonymousreply 26June 13, 2020 12:39 PM

I love them.

by Anonymousreply 27June 13, 2020 12:39 PM

Sardines on toast for a quick and delicious lunch. Never with tomato sauce, though.

by Anonymousreply 28June 13, 2020 12:45 PM

OP, I always wanted to incorporate sardines into my diet because they are such nutritional powerhouses. One day I came across this recipe, itis one of the best sandwich recipes I have ever tried. So delicious!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 13, 2020 1:56 PM

I like sardines, usually the Season brand in olive oil, but Trader Joe's own are pretty good too.

I mix it with Dijon mustard and just have it over a salad.

by Anonymousreply 30June 13, 2020 2:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!