Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My new dog wants some lasagna. What should I do?

He is not very interested in food-- people food or dog food. But he really, really wants to eat lasagna. Is it dog abuse to give in to his desires?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 11, 2020 10:15 PM

Don’t ever give lasagna to dogs!!!

by Anonymousreply 1June 8, 2020 10:57 PM

that dog will rip some devastating farts if you do

by Anonymousreply 2June 8, 2020 11:05 PM

It doesn’t appear to be immediately toxic. But it also doesn’t appear to be a healthy choice for having a long lifed friend. just like it isn’t healthy for a human to survive on fatty high carb food. Give your dog the ingredients separately to find what is really desired. Maybe that way you can make it healthier.

by Anonymousreply 3June 8, 2020 11:07 PM

Who among us would not prefer a little alla Bolognese to a bowl o'kibble?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 8, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] My new dog wants some lasagna.

That's not a very nice thing to call your hubster.

by Anonymousreply 5June 8, 2020 11:33 PM

It's ok giving him a small portion once a week or so. Garlic and onions are definitely not good for them so leave those out if you make it.

by Anonymousreply 6June 8, 2020 11:39 PM

Garlic in lasagne?

by Anonymousreply 7June 8, 2020 11:40 PM

My male cat ate some of my spaghetti then barfed it up. I've also read house pets should not eat garlic or onion, as they can lead to renal failure.

by Anonymousreply 8June 8, 2020 11:40 PM

My doggie eats nothing but etouffee

by Anonymousreply 9June 8, 2020 11:45 PM

OP, if you're so stupid you have to ask a messageboard about feeding your dog, it's probably best you just take it back to where you got it.

by Anonymousreply 10June 8, 2020 11:49 PM

My Black Lab loved my lasagna and she lived to be 12.

by Anonymousreply 11June 8, 2020 11:54 PM

I let him lick the plate.

by Anonymousreply 12June 9, 2020 12:03 AM

Yes, R7, most people put both garlic and onion in tomato sauce - unless you make lasagna without it.

by Anonymousreply 13June 9, 2020 12:04 AM

OP, don’t you know lasagna is only for cats?

by Anonymousreply 14June 9, 2020 12:43 AM

r14, yes I do. That is another consideration. I don't want him to become confused about his species identity and think he is a cat.

by Anonymousreply 15June 9, 2020 12:50 AM

The lasagna in the photo looks GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 16June 9, 2020 1:07 AM

r16 = my dog

by Anonymousreply 17June 9, 2020 1:10 AM

Your dog smells the meat in the lasagna.

At some point he will get hungry and eat his dog food.

My dog waits till around 9PM to eat dinner, when he's sure everyone's done eating and he's not going to be able to grub treats or leftovers.

by Anonymousreply 18June 9, 2020 1:14 AM

It is abuse if you don't give him some garlic toast and a nice chianti with the lasagna.

by Anonymousreply 19June 9, 2020 1:19 AM

He only likes to eat if I hide his dog food in his dog toys. The only food he's shown interest in is lasagna.

by Anonymousreply 20June 9, 2020 1:28 AM

I'll heat it up.

by Anonymousreply 21June 9, 2020 1:32 AM

I don't know anything about dogs but I do have a lot of experience with cats. None of them that I've ever known would have anything to do with tomatoes or onions or garlic -- they do love cheese and beef and pasta. But those tasty things in lasagna would be contaminated beyond salvaging by the sauce that's full of tomatoes and onions and garlic. So maybe it's fine to offer your dog some lasagna because he'll sniff it and cringe at the first scent of the sauce.

by Anonymousreply 22June 9, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote] I don't want him to become confused about his species identity and think he is a cat.

That's okay, at night, all cats are grey.

by Anonymousreply 23June 9, 2020 1:45 AM

Only a a bit. Just be fully aware that you're setting precedent, and as a new dog, he'll come to expect you to share a bit of whatever you're having in the future. If you cannot commit to continue to share, don't begin now.

I almost always gave my dogs people food for the record. I would especially share meat, chicken, fish, rice, green beans, and squash. Not so much sharing dessert or dairy.

by Anonymousreply 24June 9, 2020 1:53 AM

Whether or not it’s dangerous depends on the ingredients, genius. The sauce probably has onions. Also, many dogs have sensitive digestive tracts and you could end up with puddles of diarrhea on the floor. That is, if this is even true.

by Anonymousreply 25June 9, 2020 1:56 AM

Definitely don't ever feed the dog garlic or onions. It isn't worth the risk. I lost my dog to kidney failure at the holidays (not due to onions or garlic) and it is terrible. So much false hope from a few different vets: "maybe he'll get better, we just have to keep checking the bloodwork." Ultimately had to put him down right at Christmas time.

It's right up there with dog cancer as far as worse-case scenarios. Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 26June 9, 2020 1:56 AM

No grapes or chocolates either. However a trace amount of onion or garlic inn an American Lasagne isn't going to make a dog sick if he gets a small taste.... Teaspoon to a a few Tablespoons depending on your dog's weight. Most Americans don't even include onion and garlic in their Lasagne. There's probably only a onion or garlic powder in their store bought sauce.

Real rawhide is no longer advisable either as a treat.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2020 2:16 AM

Dog diarrhea. In the middle of the night, you don't see it, step in it with your bare feet. The smell hits you and, if you're sensitive to smell like I am, you either fight the urge to hurl or you run to the toilet (spreading the poo everywhere if you aren't agile) to hurl. I wouldn't suggest it for this sense memory alone. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2020 3:00 AM

"No grapes or chocolates either."

Also no Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2020 3:37 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 9, 2020 6:23 AM

My dog goes wild for Bachman Jax.

by Anonymousreply 31June 9, 2020 6:32 AM

R18 my dogs wait to eat to eat as well, just in case there's something good 😂 Damn little stinkers. But yeah, OP, it can become a terrible habit with people food. There's certain dog food brands the dog might like better, so you might want to experiment with -- keeping in mind, dogs are always going to look hungry when, no it's in their DNA to be little vultures, all the time.

I printed a list of bad foods and put it right on the fridge cause I can't control my partner being gullible. Just think about it before you go down that road. Every dog is different with reactions and it's just not worth it. Maybe even find some dog treats he/she likes for dinner time.

by Anonymousreply 32June 9, 2020 6:45 AM

Would even the three cloves of garlic in this sauce be bad for a dog? What if you left the cloves in whole, then removed them before assembling? It's the very best American lasagne I've made.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33June 9, 2020 7:00 AM

Onions will make him very sick. Don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 34June 9, 2020 7:10 AM

Why would you waste good food on a /dog/?

by Anonymousreply 35June 9, 2020 7:31 AM

Or scrape.

by Anonymousreply 36June 9, 2020 7:31 AM

Who exactly is putting so many onions in Lasagne? This is unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2020 12:28 AM

You start Bolognese sauce with a soffritto (onions, carrots, celery), r37. I don't think of the amount as "so many," but you know how some of these queens go on. Here's Marcella Hazan's recipe:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2020 12:39 AM

I left my plate on the table to do something and when I came back my dog had eaten about a third of a roasted jalapeño! I couldn’t believe she ate it. So far no adverse effects!

You would think she would be put off by the spiciness. Maybe it’s because she’s part Chihuahua.

by Anonymousreply 39June 10, 2020 2:25 AM

The only thing my dog ever refused to eat was lettuce.

by Anonymousreply 40June 10, 2020 7:54 AM

My dog eats Romaine lettuce. Sometimes without dressing.

by Anonymousreply 41June 10, 2020 7:57 AM

R40 and R41, I had a cat who licked 1000 island dressing off the lettuce in salad bowl dregs, then left the room. He wouldn't go near Roquefort dressing.

by Anonymousreply 42June 10, 2020 1:07 PM

I have discovered that in addition to lasagna, my dog loves salmon.

by Anonymousreply 43June 11, 2020 10:08 PM

Lasagna usually has garlic, onions and a white sauce. All of which are not dog friendly. Hope you enjoy cleaning up poop.

by Anonymousreply 44June 11, 2020 10:13 PM

I just let him lick the plate. I didn't give him a big chunk of lasagna. I am not an idiot. I'm going to get him that dog lasagna in 30 for a treat. My dog is very dainty-- there is no way he'd get disgusting diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 45June 11, 2020 10:15 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!