Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Julie Kavner Can’t Do Marge’s Voice Anymore

It’s pretty shocking how much her voice has changed. I guess it’s age. Everyone has been talking about this who still watch the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2020 12:57 PM

[quote]Everyone has been talking about this who still watch the show.

All six of them?

by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2020 11:16 AM

Maybe she should get her body thetans checked by the Xenuphiles on staff.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2020 11:18 AM

Sounds like she's in pain.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2020 11:49 AM

Nancy Cartwright is the clam, R2, not Kavner.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2020 11:52 AM

Yikes. I agree, that sounds painful. Especially since they've slashed everyone's paycheck, I'm kind of surprised she still consider it worthwhile to keep voicing Marge. I guess those prescriptions won't buy themselves...

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2020 12:00 PM

It's so crazy. When that show started I was in my early twenties. And Marge and Homer were in their 30s. Now I am turning 50 this year. And Marge and Homer are still in their 30s. It blows me away how long that show has been on the air. I'm surprised all their voices haven't given out by now.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2020 12:08 PM

If the Simpsons had ended after Season 8 it would have probably gone down as the greatest show in the history of television... now it's probably as good a symbol of anything of Boomer selling out and refusal to cede the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2020 12:20 PM

For me Simpsons jumped the shark when they hooked up Flanders with Mrs Krabappel.

Speaking of, I had no desire to watch it after Marcia Wallace died and they retired Mrs. K. She was my fave, along with early Patty and Selma.

But yeah, Julie sounds rough. I’m not even sure how they’ll end the Simpsons at this point.

by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2020 12:29 PM

Even Nancy sounds more like a woman doing Bart now. The only ones still sounding the same are Yeardley and Dan. It leaked a year ago that Fox makes no money off this show. It merely looks good on paper. I seriously don’t understand why it’s still on the air. They should just do a few specials a year if they’re so insistent on not cancelling it.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2020 12:32 PM

I think the minute one of the main 4 cast members die it’ll be over. No one can replace Julie or Yeardley especially.

by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2020 12:33 PM

Like SNL yes it’s not as good as it used to be but every now and then there is a good episode. Also I have rewatched some seasons I thought are better than I remembered. I would be devastated if it ever was canceled.

I’m sure the ratings aren’t that terrible. Don’t think I have ever watched a. Bad episode of Bob’s Burgers and are Family Guy and American Dad! Still on air? Fox hasn’t had much luck with comedy shows. I know the majority hate The Simpsons but it’s the best Fox can do.

Maybe they could do a special episode with Marge getting throat cancer?

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2020 12:42 PM

R11, there hasn’t been a good episode. Put down the pipe.

by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2020 12:44 PM

[quote] now it's probably as good a symbol of anything of Boomer selling out and refusal to cede the spotlight.

Riiiight. Because one 30-minute show, airing once a week on one television network has COMPLETELY usurped the opportunity for ANYONE else to present ANY other show on ANY other platform.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2020 12:44 PM

I can’t believe Al Jean is still showrunner.

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2020 12:47 PM

Maybe they can get someone with a less irritating voice to do it, like Gilbert Gottfried.

by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2020 1:00 PM

They could bring Tracey Ullman back. She does a great Julie (Marge) impression at 3:24 of this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2020 1:04 PM

It's just not as good anymore. I've watched the new ones. Just like SNL it should have been pulled years ago. I think we will survive.

by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2020 1:09 PM

[Quote] and are Family Guy and American Dad! Still on air?

Yes, both shows are still on the air.

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2020 3:49 PM

Yikes. She sounds awful.

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2020 3:51 PM

I know they wanted to stay on the air to 30 years, but they should let it go now.

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2020 3:53 PM

Tracey is very pleasant about it on Graham Norton at R16

But she was financially fucked over, since she was never given any sort of money for those segments and lost a court case.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2020 3:57 PM

I've rewatched them a few times and yeah quality slipped, but later seasons aren't as bad. It's sad that Julie now sounds like Patty or Selma.

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2020 3:57 PM

The show should have ended in the late 90s. It was completely awful in the 00s. And I thought that was dumb to release the Simpsons movie in the late 00s. It would have been much smarter and lucrative to have released it sometime in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote]...a symbol of anything of Boomer selling out and refusal to cede the spotlight.

Good Lord, are you twelve?

Television is actually a for-profit business. Lots of people work on tv and that's how they make a living. They don't all sit around smoking Gaulois and wondering if Marge Simpson still has anything left to contribute to Western Civilization.

When it stops being profitable, it stops, not before. Welcome to capitalism!

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2020 4:15 PM

[quote] They don't all sit around smoking Gaulois and wondering if Marge Simpson still has anything left to contribute to Western Civilization.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2020 4:32 PM

Maybe they should just kill off Marge like they did with Maude Flanders.

by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2020 4:35 PM

R26 how do you top a freak t-shirt accident?

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2020 4:41 PM

[quote]Maybe they could do a special episode with Marge getting throat cancer?

That’s not bad, actually. Marge could have one of those Stephen Hawking voice thingies - they could animate Marge into all the necessary scenes and still pay Julie every episode for completely trashing her own voice for the show.

Then get someone to voice Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2020 5:00 PM

Years ago when Fox threatened to fire the cast during a contract dispute, people were up arms, but if Kavner's voice is shot because of the strains of doing that voice for over 30 years or people are calling it in, why not replace them? Even the composer Alf Clausen was phoning it in. He was fired because Fox realized he was having his son and other artists do the music for him.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2020 5:12 PM

[quote] But she was financially fucked over, since she was never given any sort of money for those segments and lost a court case.

They settled out of court. She’s gets a check for an undisclosed sum every year. She’s also worth over $100 million dollars, so she’s not about to live on the street.

by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2020 5:36 PM

[quote] When it stops being profitable, it stops, not before. Welcome to capitalism!

It’s only profitable to Fox on paper. They write it off as a loss. This came out a year ago. This is why they’ve eased up on merchandise and DVDs. There’s no money. The cast was just forced to take another pay cut as well.

by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2020 5:37 PM

I could never watch any of the newer shows. The first 10 or so years were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2020 6:19 PM

(R32) I agree, I really think when Conan O'Brien left, is when it went downhill. The Treehouses of Horror aren't even good anymore. And they were my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2020 6:41 PM

Conan wasn’t on it very long. The first ten were the best. There were a few later like Marge having road rage but it should have ended by 2000.

by Anonymousreply 34May 18, 2020 7:27 PM

Actually I too love the early episodes but I have watched them to death so when I watch the newer ones I enjoy them more. I compared the show to SNL but I also compare it to Stranger Things. Sometimes you don’t like the plot but love the characters.

They have killed off supporting characters replaced minor one in which the voice actor died ( I believe whoever does the character of the smart boy in Bart’s class. Can’t think of his name) and no one noticed. If they replaced Marge it wouldn’t be the same show.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2020 8:10 PM

R35 that literally just happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36May 18, 2020 8:28 PM

The show is shit, and has been for a long time. It's degenerated into nasty, mean-spirited Family Guy humor. Looking at earlier Simpsons episodes it's amazing how gentle and pleasant they were in comparison to what they are now. They were funny, but not gross. Yes, The Simpsons really sucks now.

by Anonymousreply 37May 18, 2020 8:56 PM

I’ve tried to watch the newest episodes multiple times and have had to turn it off. It’s so painfully boring, not to mention cold in its delivery. I literally was about to pull my hair out trying to watch one of the latest Christmas-themed episodes. It is truly THAT bad. I can go back and watch a season 13 episode and not be left that irritated by something. The fact that they have a guest star each week really killed the show. The series became what it used to mock. It’s just a hallow corporate advertisement.

by Anonymousreply 38May 18, 2020 9:02 PM

Is Kavner a smoker? Or had some kind of health problems? She does sound terrible ... my mom is two years older and her voice sounds the same as it did 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 39May 18, 2020 9:06 PM

Not sure. Julie has always had that voice. Tracey Ullman said that when they used to go for their mandatory physicals at Fox, the doctors would want to keep Julie after checking out her vocal cords. They never saw anything like it. The older you get the dryer your vocal cords become. Julie mustn’t be able to do the higher voice that is required to do Marge. Her stance about never performing the character live has always been bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2020 2:59 AM

We’re still buying that Julie isn’t a lez and is still linked to some dude since the 70s? lol

by Anonymousreply 41May 19, 2020 3:00 AM

R24, don't mention Western Civilization. It is triggering to many of the Millennials.

Instead say "has nothing to contribute to the unending fight against the existing power structures caused by the unequal distribution wealth."

by Anonymousreply 42May 19, 2020 2:24 PM

She's sounded like this for years now. There's a scene in the episode in which Lisa becomes a vet (I think?) where Marge hugs her and cries, and she sounds ancient.

Morbid though it sounds, nature will eventually make the decision for Fox. The six main cast members are mortal. Replacing one of them would be a minefield - much trickier than recasting Martin Prince or retiring Edna Krabappel.

by Anonymousreply 43May 19, 2020 2:40 PM

Oh God, just put it out of its misery already. The last decent season was Season 8.

by Anonymousreply 44May 19, 2020 5:01 PM

[quote]It’s only profitable to Fox on paper. They write it off as a loss. This came out a year ago.

If you really believe that Fox is continuing to produce "The Simpsons" at a loss, I'm sorry, there's nothing I can help you with.

Have you never heard of "Hollywood math"?

by Anonymousreply 45May 19, 2020 11:13 PM

Fox doesn't produce "The Simpsons" anymore. All of those properties were sold to Disney. Fox is just the network.

by Anonymousreply 46May 19, 2020 11:50 PM

I don't get it. There are people who do voices that could do classic Simpsons voiced if they wanted. I have a close friend who can do a pitch perfect Homer and other of the voices. He is a voice actor and works constantly. And that clip of Marge will sound bad because Marge is yelling in character. Yes, she should sound different than normal Marge. Jeez, people!

by Anonymousreply 47May 20, 2020 1:45 AM

Don't even watch it anymore. I think Bob's burgers and Family Guy is funnier. It was an awesome show but I think it's really time to end it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 20, 2020 2:29 AM

I know it’s not a popular option but It has its moments. As an example Kermit’s voice was replaced. It didn’t even know the original quit doing Miss Piggy long ago. Was he alive when Yoda was last heard?

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2020 8:07 AM

The fact that Al Jean is still around shows they’ve given up on this show.

by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2020 11:55 AM

They could do a final show with the cast having aged as much as they would have normally.

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2020 12:13 PM

Why such hatred for a tv show? You don’t like it don’t watch it. If you don’t watch it you can’t criticize. Take for instance AHS I love Gaga. It didn’t watch her season.

They are always taking jabs at Fox now Disney. I think a lot of non deplorable people work on the show.

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2020 12:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!