Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Creepy Toys From Your Childhood.

What toys do you remember being creeped out by as a kid? The earliest one I can remember is that Fisher-Price telephone that's eyes would move when you rolled it.

by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2020 9:46 AM

I've always loved creepy/scary stuff. I think Hugo the Man of a Thousand Faces puppet was probably the creepiest toy I owned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2020 4:11 AM

That damn monkey with cymbals! HATED that thing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2020 4:15 AM

Why was this fun?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2020 4:19 AM

I always wondered why they made a toy that looked like it wanted to use its little cymbals to cut your heart out and eat it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2020 4:21 AM

Those were awful and ubiquitous, r2. What evil toy designer came up with that horror?

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2020 4:21 AM

Teddy Ruxpin was one of those toys that should have been really creepy but for some reason wasn't well except for the fact for his "friends" to work they had to be hooked up to him with a cord.

by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2020 4:27 AM

R4/R5: I know, right! I am still creeped out by it at 50. Sadistic toy.😳My dad kept it on the mantle in the livingroom and forbid us from moving it because my grandma bought it. I hated watching TV in the livingroom alone because of it!

by Anonymousreply 7May 18, 2020 4:30 AM

I think this started my thing for sex toys. It was like a light at the end of my tunnel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 18, 2020 4:37 AM

We had a clown thing that wobbled back and forth and wanted your soul. A a red dragon toy that I'd probably find cute now but which was also obviously a hellbeast of some sort. And a plastic orange tarantula with soft dangly legs, that I think you were supposed to be able to stick to a window or something. Ick.

There were others - they were the bad toys and plotted against the good toys and would have awesome battles attacking the sofa, which was the castle where the good toys lived. We cut holes in the cushions and pulled the cotton stuffing out so it looked like cannon fire. This did not go over well with our mother.

by Anonymousreply 9May 18, 2020 4:39 AM

This mess of a doll. The Saucy Expressions Doll was not at all like the doll in the commercial; this bitch was going to kill someone in their sleep. I told my parents we couldn’t keep that thing in the house and it was returned the following day after spending the night in the garage (and probably trying to pick the lock all night long).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10May 18, 2020 4:45 AM

R10: Hell NO!!!

by Anonymousreply 11May 18, 2020 4:48 AM

Manglor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 18, 2020 4:52 AM

Maybe not weird, but when I was a kid, I was surprised that adults allowed us to have Vac-U-Forms and Thingmakers (Creep Crawlers), or even Easy-Bake Ovens that could potentially burn the house down. Not to mention Erector Sets, with which you could build a device to chop your finger off.

Then there were chemistry sets. Let's just put the zinc in the nitric acid and see what happens.

by Anonymousreply 13May 18, 2020 4:54 AM

Holy shit R1, that thing is terrifying. What child hater thought that would be a good toy and what warped parent would think their child would want it?

by Anonymousreply 14May 18, 2020 5:02 AM

My older sister had one of these things when she was a kid. It got passed down to me somehow and I could not even look at it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 18, 2020 5:08 AM

"Little Miss No-Name" from Hasbro was supposed to tug at your heartstrings and elicit our pity, but she was just plain creepy looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 18, 2020 5:15 AM

"Baby Secret" from Mattel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 18, 2020 5:21 AM

R2 Creepy. It's image was used to great effect in the movie The Gift (with Jason Bateman ).

by Anonymousreply 18May 18, 2020 5:33 AM

R1 He's hot!

by Anonymousreply 19May 18, 2020 5:35 AM

Cabbage Patch dolls

by Anonymousreply 20May 18, 2020 5:36 AM

R16 Reminds me of a Blythe doll. They have gained quite a following among collectors over the years, despite being deemed too unsettling for children when they were first released in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 21May 18, 2020 5:37 AM

TROLLS

by Anonymousreply 22May 18, 2020 5:54 AM

I assure you, we're all perfectly sincere, [R22].

by Anonymousreply 23May 18, 2020 5:59 AM

Guns always made me uncomfortable and the cap guns always scared me when they were fired. I would rather be inside drawing or watching I Love Lucy reruns.

by Anonymousreply 24May 18, 2020 6:22 AM

Lookup Amazing Amanda, Amazing Amy, and Amazing Allyson (especially Amazing Allyson!), they were those "Smart Dolls" that were a thing in the late 90s and early 2000s that were just basically hubs that needed various and expensive accessories to actually do anything, but one of the big features was that their faces moved when they talked, but they were all also voice-activated and sometimes random sounds would trigger them so they'd start talking without any human interaction and basically scaring the shit out of little girls and their parents.

by Anonymousreply 25May 18, 2020 8:12 AM

The Kaboom board game was kind of sadistic. You spun an arrow on a dial of numbers. Whatever number you landed on would tell you how many times you had to pump air into a ballon that was hooked up to the pump. At some point, the balloon would POP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 18, 2020 8:29 AM

Barbie was creepy as hell. Very Stepford Wife.

by Anonymousreply 27May 18, 2020 8:34 AM

Original Barbie gave side-eye like no other but then Mattel turned her into a freakish mutant.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2020 8:38 AM

Jack-in-the box....creepy clown that sprang out.

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2020 9:33 AM

Which Witch

simply the best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 18, 2020 9:38 AM

and of course Green Ghost

also the best

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 18, 2020 9:39 AM

R30, that just catapulted me back in time. I loved that game!

by Anonymousreply 32May 18, 2020 9:56 AM

R28 Indeed. In the early years, she was a fierce and chic looking bitch with sophisticated well styled hair. Then somewhere along the way Barbie became a dull cow eyed bore with the hairstyle and clothing of a suburban mall rat.

by Anonymousreply 33May 18, 2020 10:22 AM

Chatty Cathy doll

by Anonymousreply 34May 19, 2020 6:38 AM

This was my favorite toy EVER

How did it pass child safety guidelines????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 19, 2020 6:58 AM

Raggedy Fucking Ann

by Anonymousreply 36May 19, 2020 7:07 AM

Dad's double ended dildo he used on me

by Anonymousreply 37May 19, 2020 7:07 AM

My cousin had this weird teddy bear-like thing that was dressed in a hood and his beady eyes (that were literally little lightbulbs) lit up and he made weird electronic sounds when you did something, I don't remember what but even as a kid in the 80s/90s it creeped me out.

by Anonymousreply 38May 19, 2020 8:20 AM

I got one of these for Xmas and would set it off walking toward my little brother (a toddler) who would run in shrieking terror from its unrelenting dead-eyed zombie pace coming toward him. I think I wanted it for the roller skates!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 19, 2020 3:57 PM

I loved this song - but the doll was hideous. My sister had one that was particularly gruesome looking as the batteries ran down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2020 4:52 PM

How's about this baby doll with three faces? A kid in my neighborhood had one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 19, 2020 5:24 PM

I was obsessed with my talking Pee Wee Herman doll.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 19, 2020 5:26 PM

My Buddy and Kid Sister -- inspiration for the Chucky Doll!

by Anonymousreply 43May 19, 2020 5:31 PM

R38, was it a Chubble?

One of its facial features was a light receptor/electric eye, which would set it off if you so much as passed in front of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 19, 2020 9:06 PM

R1, I remember 'Hugo.' I never wanted one.

Funny - yesterday, TCM aired 'The Terminal Man' (1974). Hugo looks a lot like George Segal's character, after his head was shaved for surgery (electronic probes implanted in his brain, supposedly to stop him from going into seizure-like homicidal rages). The Hugo toy was introduced just one year later, in 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 19, 2020 9:13 PM

Funny, r45, I watched The Terminal Man yesterday myself. I didn't notice the resemblance but I can see it. Though for me Ed Harris is the true ringer for Hugo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 19, 2020 9:29 PM

I was creeped out by the naked fat man with his red bulbous nose in Operation, and the electric buzzer was strangely disturbing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 19, 2020 10:45 PM

Mr. Potato Head was frightening.

by Anonymousreply 48May 19, 2020 10:46 PM

Off topic but one toy I wanted badly for Christmas as a kid in the 80’s was a the Etch A Sketch Animator. I didn’t get it and my cunty cousin got one that year and I still kind of don’t like her for it.

by Anonymousreply 49May 20, 2020 12:50 AM

my sister had this and she freaked me out (the doll)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 20, 2020 12:57 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Poor Pitiful Pearl for those youngsters

by Anonymousreply 51May 20, 2020 12:59 AM

My cousins had a haunted house board game that I was obsessed with. It must have come out in the middle to late 70s. I can’t remember the name of it. I really wish I did. I barely even remember much about it, except the creepy feeling it gave me. A bit off-topic, but I was delighted last week when a friend posted an old commercial from the 1980s for the haunted museum at Long Branch, New Jersey. I felt like I was nine years old again.

by Anonymousreply 52May 20, 2020 1:38 AM

That's it R44!

by Anonymousreply 53May 20, 2020 4:45 AM

Baby's First Butcher Shop

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 20, 2020 5:01 AM

A black plastic doll, with a yellow dress, she was not dark skinned, just completely black. I alway assumed she was burned. Why my sister wanted a burned baby?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 20, 2020 5:46 AM

Okay this is super weird. I saw a Facebook posting about an obscure movie called The Great Masquerade. There was a picture of an old newspaper ad for it and I recognized the name of director Alan Ormsby so I looked it up on imdb. Ormsby worked with Bob Clark in Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things and wrote and co-directed Deranged, which is based on serial killer Ed Gein. Both are 70s cult horror classics. He also wrote the screenplays for My Bodyguard, Cat People, Porkys II and others. Well apparently he's the creator of the Hugo doll. Just super random I would stumble on that information within days of posting about Hugo.

[quote]He created the popular doll Hugo: Man of a Thousand Faces, which was featured in both The Uncle Floyd Show (1974) and The Pee Wee Herman Show (1981).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 21, 2020 1:23 AM

If you look up Amazing Allyson she bears little resemblance to the adorable bright-eyed doll depicted on the box and when turned off her face goes into this weird slack eyes half-closed expression.

by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2020 9:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!