Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is Bret Easton Ellis A Self-Loathing Gay?

What says you? He seems to really hate homosexuality despite being a big ol homo himself.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2020 7:33 PM

Poor guy. Wrote one pretty good book, then a fairly interesting book, and that's pretty much all he's done all his life. His self-loathing comes more from his failure to keep up his career than his homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 1May 6, 2020 3:16 PM

I'm pretty sure he inserts himself as a character in all his novels, and that character doesn't like himself. He did write SOME good books. I've read all of them and there are a few duds. GLAMORAMA- I MEAN YOU.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2020 3:18 PM

I've never read any of his fiction, but I recently read his memoiresque book White; he may have had some shame of being gay as a young man, as so many of us do, but now in his 50s I don't think he gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2020 3:24 PM

He's a conservative. In an interview recently, (Rubin Report) he said he used to be "liberal" as an out and well-adjusted gay man, but realised how unfair Trump is treated by the media. He supports Trump, so I believe this matter is far from being summed up as "self-loathing gay". For those not familiar with his show, Dave Rubin is a gay Republican.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2020 3:30 PM

He's a smelly, self loathing cunt from hell.

by Anonymousreply 5May 6, 2020 3:35 PM

R5 You forgot fat, smug, and puffy.

by Anonymousreply 6May 6, 2020 3:38 PM

[quote]He seems to really hate homosexuality despite being a big ol homo himself.

Someone once posted here on DL, 'no one hates out gay men, more than out gay men."

by Anonymousreply 7May 6, 2020 3:43 PM

It's funny. For all of his literary and intellectual pretensions, he is a simple, garden variety deplorable. His only goal in life now is to "own the libs" - just like Militia Man Cleetus in Arkansas.

That's why he lobs rhetorical bombs like saying watching Glee makes him feel like he stepped in a puddle of AIDS.

So edgy, Brett!

In the grand scheme of things, his books suck. But I'm biased I suppose. I was unfortunate enough to have known him in the 90s. My best friend, who has since died, dated him for years. Ellis was a super-creepy guy. And absolutely despised being gay in a really boring way. He had that uninteresting hate for humanity which many asshole gay men possess. Self-loathing projected outward. Which made him common. That's the only time I kinda felt bad for him. He thought he was radically unique and that everyone else was truly inferior. But at the same time he hero worshipped total idiots like Candace Bushnell. He was her lapdog.

He also wrote all of his books gacked out of his mind. In fact, that's the only thing that was impressive about him in retrospect- the amount of coke he snorted. Total champ in that category.

by Anonymousreply 8May 6, 2020 4:05 PM

He was a mediocre writer with great connections. It all came together with American Psycho. He squandered what little talent he had.

by Anonymousreply 9May 6, 2020 4:17 PM

R8 So he was just as conservative or Republican back when you knew him? He's a liar too then, after claiming he had an epiphany of sorts with Trump's campaign. I agree with you how common that sort of internal misery is, when it's getting projected unto everyone else.

Please tell us more! I suppose his idea of claiming to be a converted former liberal makes him somehow more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 10May 6, 2020 4:19 PM

R4: I thought Rubin identified as independent, a former liberal who's critical of "cancel culture" and identity politics?

by Anonymousreply 11May 6, 2020 4:23 PM

R11 He sure hosts mainly Republicans as guests... and rails on liberals, and most Democrats in power, so I'm inclined to believe he's a Rethuglicunt. I'm not American, so perhaps it's best to label him as simply Conservative, or Arch-Conservative.

My beau watches him on YouTube, and that's how I've been acquainted with him. I find him intelligent, and interesting as a gay man, but I don't truly sense an independent spirit at all really. Perhaps if he wasn't a Trump supporter. My beau isn't a Republican per se, yet he's country, an electrician by trade, and lives on a farm. I would say he's categorically much more conservative than I am. I don't think I would be aware of him otherwise TBH.

by Anonymousreply 12May 6, 2020 4:36 PM

I can’t imagine being gay and a Republican.

It’s like a black man wanting to be in the KKK.

by Anonymousreply 13May 6, 2020 4:40 PM

R13 I can't either... For me, it's like being a Jewish Nazi. Conservatives can however be balanced sympathetic souls IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 14May 6, 2020 4:47 PM

The paradox about Ellis is that he meant “American Psycho” literally, but then it was made into a more memorable movie that took the premise one step further and made it a satire. Which is not what Ellis meant, and I think that skillful take on his material still irks.

He has always seemed more a writer by reputation than by craft.

by Anonymousreply 15May 6, 2020 4:50 PM

Thanks, R12. Rubin seems libertarian to me. Yes, there are a lot of interesting little talk shows and podcasts on YouTube but so many hosts only invite guests with whom they're politically aligned. Most conservatives (John Anderson, Melanie Phillips, Andrew Doyle, Lionel Shriver, etc.) have all interviewed each other on YouTube at some point of other.

by Anonymousreply 16May 6, 2020 4:51 PM

I've been watching Rubin for years. He still classifies himself as a "classic liberal" and still holds positions that are anathema to conservatives: obviously pro-same sex marriage (since he's married to a man), pro-choice, opposed to the death penalty, etc.

I'm in the same position: I still hold all my traditional liberal views, but some of those -- support of free speech, acknowledgement of biological reality -- have become unpopular to the left, so I get called an alt-right Nazi on social media all the time.

I believe we are experiencing a paradigm shift in the differences between right and left, and the mainstream is ignoring it or oblivious.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2020 4:52 PM

Bennington College unleashed the worst, most privileged, self-indulgent writers of the 80's.

by Anonymousreply 18May 6, 2020 5:04 PM

Cheers R16, Yes, I believe Libertarian fits quite nicely. R17 I think many who call themselves Conservatives, (at least in my circles) tend to be socially liberal, like Rubin, stand for full equality, yet still hold several values which are undeniably conservative regardless of party. Many have to do with economic considerations, social programmes, size and scope of government, etc...

For illustrative purposes, self-described conservatives I've met here of BOTH parties, usually are not for full amnesty when it comes to those flouting immigration laws, nor do they support sanctuary city status, but certainly believe in marriage equality, even when they're not gay themselves... (Also a very libertarian notion, your bedroom, your business)

I do agree with you R17 that there is a paradigm shift already in progress. I do not see however how any "Classic Liberal" can support Donal Trump. Perhaps a few ideas, or policies, but not the man, nor his administration. To me I suppose, that is the final litmus test. They're mutually exclusive, "Classic Liberal" and "Trump Supporter" in my book. For the record, my partner does not support Trump. He's smart enough to know Trump isn't, and believes he's not qualified.

by Anonymousreply 19May 6, 2020 5:07 PM

I would say he is yes. He’s also a contrarian gay, which is the worst type.

by Anonymousreply 20May 6, 2020 5:10 PM

No No No. Most liberals are not about cancel culture or identity politics anymore than conservatives. Most liberals I know are hate cancel culture and identity politics but conservatives practice these things every bit as much as liberals. This is a narrative being pushed by Russia in conjunction with the right wing. Most Twitter trolls who push this are Russian bots. As many liberals practice this as conservatives. Conservatives shut down free speech all the time. You can't even say Happy Holidays without them berating you.

by Anonymousreply 21May 6, 2020 5:12 PM

R20 YES. Nailed it. So many gays want to be contrarian to go against the grain so they can "stand out". They are weak.

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2020 5:13 PM

Sorry R17, I had left out the term "Fiscal Conservative" which I had meant to include to get my point across. Most Republicans I know are pro-choice as well. Very mixed bag America is when one resides in a blue state, or a city.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2020 5:15 PM

Classic “conservative” gay. Wants to be “unique” and special - like he was once upon a time. But the bitterness is not something to envy. Seems deeply unhappy.

by Anonymousreply 24May 6, 2020 5:18 PM

He said the media is unfair to this cult leader so he changed? WHAT??????? That is laughable and if true, he has huge mental issues.

Cult leader deserves everything he gets AND MORE from the media. The media got his fucking ass elected. The media treated Bill Clinton (and Hillary) far worse for less reasons than this cult leader gets.

Him saying that is why he changed to be a conservative or whatever is bullshit. He is just a self-loathing piece of shit. I WISH he could live under the rights conservatives would give him. That would cure his conservatism real fast.

by Anonymousreply 25May 6, 2020 5:18 PM

What is a fiscal conservative? That term is thrown around a lot but conservatives are SHIT with the economy and fiscal issues and have been for over 100 fucking years.

by Anonymousreply 26May 6, 2020 5:21 PM

R26 Don't get upset with me simply using the term for descriptive or illustrative purposes... Look it up if you honestly are unfamiliar with its definition. I've said enough in my former post for you to figure it out on your own if you're being sincere, albeit somewhat hostile. Need I remind you there are conservative Democrats. I know because I've met some, and would describe my beau as one.

R21 Well said. It is indeed a stereotype many would like to promote of the left.

by Anonymousreply 27May 6, 2020 5:29 PM

Rubin is one of the dumbest people on the planet, and I’m not just basing this on his political ideology. He simply says the dumbest shit - so dumb, in fact, I wonder how he even graduated high school. He’s embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 28May 6, 2020 5:50 PM

R23, the GOP threw those people out of the party. To be a Republican you must drink the Kool-Aid. There’s no way around it. Anyone who supports Trump is not a Republican. That party is a disgrace. Reagan wouldn’t even be able to run as a Republican today. That’s how insane they’ve become.

by Anonymousreply 29May 6, 2020 5:52 PM

R29 I'm not defending Republicans. I hesitate to opine on anything remotely political in threads because of how people overreact here. I simply made observations on conservative versus liberal values, or ideologies. I will add to your comment, that anyone who supports Trump is not a Democrat or a "Classic Liberal". I know many Republicans who support your president though.

by Anonymousreply 30May 6, 2020 6:01 PM

The problem with politics today and it's fueled by social media is that everyone overreacts. They see a headline or a tweet and everybody just strikes. So when someone tries to offer a different opinion or try to get others to not lose their minds until all the facts are in or try to explain a position that deviates a skosh from the mob mentality you get wrecked.

I'm a moderate democrat, but to some, even on here, I'm just a closeted republican. Which couldn't be further from the truth. I don't understand people who live in absolutes and who can fit their politics into one little box. Life is not that clean.

by Anonymousreply 31May 6, 2020 6:10 PM

Only extremists label moderates as Republican lite.

Fiscal conservatism is a notion. It makes people feel good to say it. It is not the same as fiscal responsibility. You can be fiscally liberal or fiscally conservative and be fiscally responsible or irresponsible. Fiscal liberals believe in a social safety net, progressive taxation, SS, Medicare, Medicaid, regulations (how much is an open debate of course).

by Anonymousreply 32May 6, 2020 6:20 PM

Cheers R31. The assumptions and misplaced aggressions are tiresome. I've never liked people who have the propensity to paint everyone with such a broad brush, or are always so ready to pounce.

by Anonymousreply 33May 6, 2020 6:37 PM

r12/19, don't get me wrong, I despise Trump as well. I did not vote for him in 2016 and won't vote for him in November.

by Anonymousreply 34May 6, 2020 6:48 PM

R17 No worries. I never assumed you were. I don't read into peoples' remarks here, I take the words at face value. I just didn't agree with the semantics, nor understand how Dave Rubin can describe himself as "classic liberal" because he does support Trump. Most of his guests do, too.

My brain is big enough to understand how people can still enjoy his show, as I've admitted I find him interesting and do watch it. I particularly enjoyed when he had the young lad villified by google on.... I forget his name. He was accused of all sorts of nasty stuff that wasn't true, and ended up being slightly autistic as well. Many of the guests prove interesting. Take Ellis for example, I don't like him, but it still was an interesting interview. I don't like to live in an echo chamber myself.

by Anonymousreply 35May 6, 2020 7:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!