Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gypsy (1962)

Tonight on TCM at 12:30 am Eastern and 9:30 pm Pacific.

Rosalind Russell and Natalie Wood star in this classic.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2020 1:08 AM

One of my favorite films of all time. Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2020 3:16 AM

Too bad it's on so late.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2020 3:18 AM

R2, do you have to get up early tomorrow morning? Aren't you sheltering in place?

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2020 3:40 AM

Wow, that was a long movie!

My favorite was "You Gotta Get a Gimmick" number.

That lady who played Mazzeppa. Omg! She is fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2020 6:51 AM

I had no idea that Rosalind Russell was a Republican.

Especially after so convincingly playing "Auntie Mame."

She supported Richard Nixon in 1960 for President, and in 1962 for Governor of California.

What a bummer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2020 6:59 AM

Republicans back then weren't evil they way they are now.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2020 7:07 AM

Nixon was always evil, R6. Barry Goldwater and Nelson Rockefeller and George Romney (Mitt's dad) were OK, but Nixon was rotten throughout.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2020 3:23 PM

I like how RR demanded that the last part of the song "Everything's Coming Up Roses" be reshot, and instead of bringing back Wood and Malden - they glued a picture of them to plywood and stood it up behind her.

Plywood makes its appearance at 2:09.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2020 4:07 PM

I was surprised after the movie, to hear from Ben Mankiewicz that Rosalind Russell and Natalie Wood didn't get along with each other.

That was surprising to me, because they had good chemistry with each other.

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2020 4:13 PM

What is Ben's source? Bernard F. Dick writes in his book on Russell that the two truly respected each other.

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2020 4:18 PM

He didn't say, R10.

He just threw out that little bit of gossip, and then moved on.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2020 4:23 PM

I just checked Roz' memoir Life is a Banquet. She mentions Gypsy but not Wood.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2020 4:30 PM

I've seen that thing once....It was enough.

The same with Roz' "Auntie Name."

I'm as gay as you can be, but I DON'T GET IT.

They're both lousy movies....so-so at best. Yet so many gay men LIVE for those films.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2020 5:07 PM

I'm a pretty girl, Mama!

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote]That lady who played Mazeppa. Omg! She is fabulous!

Faith Dane. She just died last month at age 96. She originated the role on Broadway. I think she and Paul Wallace (Tulsa) were the only ones who repeated their Broadway roles.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2020 6:35 PM

Miss Ethel Merman (with the help of Dave Garroway) presents Paul Wallace! He was handsome, a decent singer and dancer, but he didn't have much of a career. His other big part was as a recurring character (Kippy) on "Father Knows Best."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2020 6:38 PM

I had read a long time ago that Russell was jealous of Wood's youth, beauty(which Russell never had,) and the fact she was banging Beatty.

I think they're terrific together and their confrontation at the end right before Rose's turn is better than I've seen it done on stage. They dig deep.

by Anonymousreply 17May 6, 2020 1:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!